closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PRS-18Q COSC appreciation thread...

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Ralphy - is that two pictures of the grey strap in different light?
    I'd say that is a blue strap and a grey strap.

Quote Originally Posted by minkle View Post
    I'd say that is a blue strap and a grey strap.
    Yes, it looks like one of Eddie’s older silvery grey straps.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Journeyman
    Hello everybody

I took some better photos

Precista PRS-18Q Cosc

With Deluxe Blue Nato

Last edited by bestak; 11th March 2018 at 15:55.

Blog Entries
    Is it possible to see some chronometer certificates for quartz watch?I have never seen one.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    It is darker than on the previous 18. It leaves finger prints when you touch it.

Ahh ok thank you, they look great on that grey nato.

Nope, one blue and one grey. ;-)

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Apprentice
    On a Zulu Diver MN NATO as saving original for now :0)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    I know. I find it hard to believe it took him 3 minutes and 51 seconds to change a nato as well.

Impatiently waiting for mine :)
    Looking at an earlier photo it looks like you get a decent booklet detailing the history of the watch/style?
    Would be interested to see a clear pic of the COSC cert.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post

R
    Thanks, that's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    Impatiently waiting for mine :)
    Looking at an earlier photo it looks like you get a decent booklet detailing the history of the watch/style?
    Would be interested to see a clear pic of the COSC cert.
    Do you get a booklet with it? I can see some pics where one is visible, but haven't heard anyone mention a booklet (yet).

Journeyman
    Here is a quick'n dirty set of pics for the booklet and the cosc doc

Looks good.
    Thanks

I've shipped 72 watches (not all PRS-18) this week and 27 strap orders and still have 53 watches to ship, all for the UK. It doesn't look like I'll be opening on Tuesday.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Apprentice

much appreciated

got the email, mine is on the way to the west coast USA. Thank you for all the hard work, Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I've shipped 72 watches (not all PRS-18) this week and 27 strap orders and still have 53 watches to ship, all for the UK. It doesn't look like I'll be opening on Tuesday.

Eddie
    Fingers crossed no. 74 ships tomorrow as I’ll be home Tuesday and can sign for it.

Master

Eddie
    Looks like there was a lot of pent-up demand out there for your products. Thanks for the update, but make sure to take care of the other stuff and not just the orders.

Any lume shots floating about ?

Looks like there was a lot of pent-up demand out there for your products. Thanks for the update, but make sure to take care of the other stuff and not just the orders.
    Agreed, as much as we want to get our greedy little mitts on 'precious' its not at any cost.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Any lume shots floating about ?

how to upload a picture online

how to upload a picture online
    Last edited by James_; 11th March 2018 at 23:19.

Banned
    My gripes about this watch are...

Bezel lume is crap. Lume seems to take longer to charge than the previous PRS18 and doesn't last as long.

Second hand overshoots on the way down, seems like there is some movement in the second hand.
    Minute hand doesn't keep to the markers, tried resetting a few times.

Bezel doesn't know if it's a 120 click or 160 or whatever, it's inconsistent. Same as the video posted. It's not too tight or loose though.

The case finishing on the underside edge at 2 is sharper than the rest and has a few imperfections.

Sorry to be so negative as this is supposed to be an appreciation thread. I don't even want to bother Eddie about it at such a time. I'm probably being too picky. Again.
    Last edited by James_; 12th March 2018 at 00:24.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    Of more interest to me was seeing whether the seconds hand hits the markers. Taking into account, angles, distortions and so on, yours does seem to be very good, although not quite bang on every time. It is a lot better than my non-COSC 18Q.
    Appreciate your suggestion about my bezel.
    My seconds hand seems to fall mostly on the indexes, although sometimes a hair forward and sometimes a hair backwards. I'm OK with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    It does display an interesting reverse micro-correction after the forward tick at some points.
    I watched the video again, and all I can say is that I have never observed that with good ol' MK.1 Eyeball. Maybe something introduced by the camera ? Could it be related to the bezel turning? (they should be 100% isolated systems)

Quote Originally Posted by James_ View Post
    The case finishing on the underside edge at 2 is sharper than the rest and has a few imperfections.
    I don't have that, at least nothing that I can see or feel with a finger.

[Updated - Unrelated to above ]

People need to be aware that the blasted finish may look tarnished/corroded out of the box or appear to have scratches but this is just oil and give it a wipe with your (oily) finger and the "problem" goes away.

Bezel lume is crap. Lume seems to take longer to charge than the previous PRS18 and doesn't last as long.
    I hit my watches with UV light to charge for the night...

I agree that the quality of the bezel (pip) lume is not great. It's very grainy. You can see this in my shot below. Looks like yours.

The lume on the hands is weaker / different than the indexes too.
    You can see the camera picked this up below...
    To be fair, this is probably only seen with the UV torch, once it settles down to glow I am not sure you could tell the difference.

The lume application is pretty even on the indexes / big triangle and hands, better than some other micro watches.

The lume doesn't seem to hold a strong charge very long.

I am OK with the lume being a little weaker compared to my PRS-82 since the hand size and lume plots are smaller. The PRS-82 glows really well through the night.

Sorry to be so negative as this is supposed to be an appreciation thread.
    We should have called it the Experience / Honest Feedback Thread

Surprised no one has commented on the phantom date position. Personally not something that bothers me, and is not uncommon in the micro world.

Still overall I love this watch and can't stop looking at it.

Man this thing is bloody fantastic, I need a chauffeur lol!

PS. One other point is that the bezel top edge and knurling feels "sharp"... so this probably isn't the best watch to be wearing under shirt sleeves, as it could damage the fabric over time. I had heard those sort of "complaints" about the Halios Seaforth, although never owned one myself. However the COSC isn't that kind of watch anyway, so rather moot point. I expect to get a lot of compliments about the COSC in the summer...
    Last edited by redhed18; 12th March 2018 at 21:33. Reason: split the comment about oil from previous comment

Lume Comparison

I did a real quick lume test:

Lined up a bunch of divers and hit them each with my UV torch for 5-10 seconds.
    Started from Left to Right.

I held the torch to the COSC for an extra amount of time
    (and it went last, so in theory it should be the brightest...)

Before:
    (note the position of the COSC lume pip when looking at the lume shots)

After 5-10 minutes:

The following is zoomed in on a photo that was taken so the COSC was originally centered below my phone and in focus (as best you can). Then I cropped it.
    Steinhart OVM39 on the left / PRS-18Q COSC on the right

Honestly in the big group shot, when looking through the camera, I was like, "Where the hell is it" (about the COSC)
    Now part of that is due to staring into a lit iPhone screen in the dark.

I appreciate someone is going to say, "Dude the COSC is way off to the side in your photo, and it is facing 78 degrees to the camera" or something, but believe me it's pretty much like the photo shows.

Great watch, just don't expect this to do battle with your Seikos.

Or if you're an old dude staring at your watch at 3am trying to tell the time, prepare to squint lol
    Last edited by redhed18; 12th March 2018 at 04:49. Reason: clarity

One more time, a very unfair test...

This time I moved the COSC pip to 12 o'clock (previously it was at 9 o'clock)

Then I pounded the COSC for like a minute with the UV torch.
    I paid particular attention to making sure the pip was illuminated.
    (because in my other test, you can't even SEE the pip)

I gave the Steinhart next to it just a splash of UV for like 5 seconds...

After 5 minutes exactly:

It's not really fair to compare these two, as the OVM has big hands and big plots (like the PRS-82)

The COSC is probably most similar to my Trekker, even though that one is BWG9 - the indexes and hands are about the same size.
    After an hour, the Trekker and the COSC are comparable. You can see them, but neither is overly bright or the easiest to read.
    I think if you want lume that's easy to read all night, get something with big lume surfaces and not slim sticks.

Regardless, it is pretty clear that the COSC pip fades into the darkness much quicker than the rest of the watch.
    This seems to match what James_ posted also...
    After 10-15 minutes the lume pip is barely visible.

I could care less, but someone else might be more concerned if you're timing things in the dark. (lol)

PS. I even repeated the test because I was certain someone was going to complain about the wavelength of my UV torch. So first I hit them with incandescent light, then halogen light (which does quite well on my PRS-82) then the UV light and finally a 600 lumen Exposure Lights white LED torch. Everything I have short of the car headlamps, or actual sunlight which is in rather short supply these days! Result = same.

For all that I've said, none of it is meant to detract from the COSC. I think it's fair to discuss what it's strengths and weaknesses are. It's a cracking value and even at twice the price would be a terrific watch. I referred to it earlier as a "mini-battleship" and that's exactly what the blasted finish and rugged military design communicates to me. The fit is also fantastic on a small wrist (15cm)... so big thanks to Eddie for making these great watches because otherwise our watch world would be a much poorer place.
    Last edited by redhed18; 12th March 2018 at 05:20. Reason: clarity

Because I felt guilty about not posting any nice photographs like you guys,
    here is the COSC on a range of different straps, mostly NATO

TOXIC orange Magnum rubber (just overlaid on the spring bars)

WatchGecko Marine Nationale (yellow stripe)

WatchGecko Marine Nationale (red stripe)

WatchGecko black seatbelt nato (satin buckle)

~ WG's "satin" (satin sandblasted) finish pairs well with the COSC.

HDT DESIGN Numeral Camouflage NATO Strap

Timefactors Coyote Brown

Phenomenato: I don't think the COSC pairs well with these straps because they are too luxury (fine weave) vs. the watch head.
    Toxic: N80 Grey is too light a colour to work with the COSC. N80 Admirality Blue/Grey is +/- what comes with the COSC.
    I don't think it suits a Bond either. At least not the black/grey SPECTRE-bond.
    Last edited by redhed18; 12th March 2018 at 21:13. Reason: rotate images

^^^ Looks great on the WatchGecko Marine Nationale! Would be interested to se side by side shots with the PRS-18Q Mk.1 – for no other reason than the hell of it. Also to see the bezel and dial differences.

Banned
    redhed18, with the lume it's not really about how big the lume plots are (I assume you mean wide).

It's more about how thick the lume is applied and the quality of it. I had the previous PRS18Q with same size lume plots and it was a torch.

Last edited by James_; 12th March 2018 at 12:21.

Whilst packing watches thismorning, I noticed that the seconds hand was aligned part way round the dial and then appeared not to be aligned. I moved my angle of view slightly and then it was aligned where it previously wasn't and not aligned where it previously was. Then the penny dropped, this is the parallax effect.

the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,
    It's most noticable when viewing the bezel marker at 12; if you view head-on, it's correctly aligned but move your angle of view slightly and it appears not to be aligned. The position of the bezel marker hasn't changed, your angle of view has.

I think this explains a lot of "the seconds hand isn't hitting the markers" statements.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Banned
    Whilst packing watches thismorning, I noticed that the seconds hand was aligned part way round the dial and then appeared not to be aligned. I moved my angle of view slightly and then it was aligned where it previously wasn't and not aligned where it previously was. Then the penny dropped, this is the parallax effect.

It's most noticable when viewing the bezel marker at 12; if you view head-on, it's correctly aligned but move your angle of view slightly and it appears not to be aligned. The position of the bezel marker hasn't changed, your angle of view has.

I think this explains a lot of "the seconds hand isn't hitting the markers" statements.

Eddie
    It doesn't really explain mine. Mine overshoots the markers when it's on the way down and that's when the watch is held 12 up or 12 down . Gravity is affecting it because it has a bit of movement.

I think most, if not everyone, would judge alignment by viewing it head on, and that they know viewing it at an angle would make it look misaligned.

It doesn't really explain mine. Mine overshoots the markers when it's on the way down and that's when the watch is held 12 up or 12 down . Gravity is affecting it because it has a bit of movement.

I think most, if not everyone, would judge alignment by viewing it head on, and that they know viewing it at an angle would make it look misaligned.
    What I'm saying is, if you look at it all the way round viewing head on, you will experience the parallax effect on part of the dial.

Eddie

Banned
    What I'm saying is, if you look at it all the way round viewing head on, you will experience the parallax effect on part of the dial.

Eddie
    Maybe if the second hand was higher yes.

Craftsman
    #16 arrived, bezel is nice and tight, second hand is spot on, blasted grey stainless steel looks awesome and the Nato lifts the edgy watch nicely away from my fragile wrist. Very happy.

Gesendet von meinem GT-N7100 mit Tapatalk
    Last edited by bmwrover; 12th March 2018 at 22:01.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    People need to be aware that the blasted finish may look tarnished/corroded out of the box or appear to have scratches but this is just oil and give it a wipe with your (oily) finger and the "problem" goes away.
    This isn't the case with mine. Mine has a sharp edge that hasn't got any blasting on it along with a few mini dings. You can see it shining on the pic I posted.

Master
    Anyone else who ordered on Tuesday first thing - before say 10am - still not received theirs?

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Anyone else who ordered on Tuesday first thing - before say 10am - still not received theirs?
    I wouldn't be too concerned, Eddie has had a lot of orders to work through. I placed my order at 08.06hrs on Tuesday and received dispatch email today. From the pics it looks like it will be worth the wait.
    I may buy a shark mesh, but can't decide between polished or matt. If anyone has the previous issue on a shark mesh I would be grateful for images.
    Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    I may buy a shark mesh, but can't decide between polished or matt. If anyone has the previous issue on a shark mesh I would be grateful for images.
    Nigel
    James_ posted the earlier edition on what I think is shark mesh below.

This old thread also has some bracelet discussion:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ndation-please

Unfortunately some of the pics are lost to PhotoF...Bucket.
    James_ had some others on there, so maybe he still has them to share.

This is the image that reggie747 posted in that thread - fished out of Google
    I believe it is polished:

Aha! Try this: Google search for the forum thread above

https://www.google.ca/search?q=http:...=1460&bih=1065
    Last edited by redhed18; 12th March 2018 at 21:36.

Thank you for taking the time to post, much appreciated. I think the polished mesh provides good contrast.

Nigel
    Last edited by tempfort; 12th March 2018 at 21:43.

Banned
    This was a "blasted" bracelet from Geckota. Looks a good match in those pics but it definitely wasn't a blasted finish. I think Geckota have dropped the blasted name from tje range.

Dispatch email dropped in today so hopefully receive it tomorrow, and it will be going straight on to one of these:

From here:

https://www.miros-time.de/zweiteiler...t-b%C3%A4nder/

I've already put the sand version on my Fortis and it's soft and comfortable, and seems rugged enough.

[QUOTE=James_;4699065]This was a "blasted" bracelet from Geckota. Looks a good match in those pics but it definitely wasn't a blasted finish. I think Geckota have dropped the blasted name from tje range.

Thank you for posting the pics. It is now listed as satin finish.
    Nigel
    Last edited by tempfort; 12th March 2018 at 23:05.

Master
    Same here - but I do think that in these days of Amazon Prime, same day delivery etc. its actually quite nice to have to wait for something. Makes you appreciate things more.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Dispatch email dropped in today so hopefully receive it tomorrow, and it will be going straight on to one of these:

From here:

https://www.miros-time.de/zweiteiler...t-b%C3%A4nder/

I've already put the sand version on my Fortis and it's soft and comfortable, and seems rugged enough.
    That is a cool looking strap, will be exploring those for sure...

Q&D wrist shot taken this morning

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Apprentice

Nothing yet...

Hi all, been a long-time member of Watchuseek and lurker of this forum. Ordered my new 18Q from Eddie Tuesday late afternoon last week (already had an 18A), no dispatch email as of writing this but I'm not concerned yet.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 14th March 2018 at 11:00.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post
    Q&D wrist shot taken this morning

I like that shot, shows it from a different angle.

Master
    Onelasttime - the Miros site seems to be mainly in German, so quick question for you - what's the shipping like to the UK??
    Last edited by bambam; 13th March 2018 at 16:30.

Same here - but I do think that in these days of Amazon Prime, same day delivery etc. its actually quite nice to have to wait for something. Makes you appreciate things more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Ordered my new 18Q from Eddie Tuesday late afternoon last week (already have an 18A), no dispatch email as of writing this but I'm not concerned yet.
    Patience is a virtue,

Watch ordered Tuesday afternoon, despatch notice received two minutes ago,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Number 52 heading off for a night dive in a few hours.

Missed the attempted delivery by five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Hi mate strap on 5he glass where did you get it from, in fact the other one as well ?
    Thanks
    First strap is a canvas with deployant from Eddie, see this link:
    http://www.timefactors.com/tftwopcnylonstrap.htm

The second is an Omega strap for the X33, the catalogue ref is: 98000069. Check this link and scroll down to the black version:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/my-x...l-omega.11286/

These are NOT cheap.! One on ebay for 229 GBP, thats a lot of straps from Eddie.!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OMEGA-G...AAAOSwTuJYua-i

Thanks
    deano

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tempfort View Post
    Missed the attempted delivery by five minutes.
    Feel for you man, that is a right bugger!

Bad ass!