closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Global kitchen knives

Craftsman

Global kitchen knives

How do you keep them really sharp? As per question, we have 3 that continually go off despite using carefully. We've used a stone and one of those gadgets that has ceramic wheels in a water bath but not very successfully. They are good knives to handle, but frustrating in not being able to get back to original keenness. Perhaps we need to spend a small fortune on a Global diamond or ceramic 'steel', anybody have any experience of using them? Thanks.

I've kept our set razor-sharp with one of the Mino Sharp ceramic water wheel devices you referred to.

Never had a problem and very easy to operate - perhaps you have a duff one?

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I've kept our set razor-sharp with one of the Mino Sharp ceramic water wheel devices you referred to.
    Me too. Nice and sharp.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Ours are Henkel knives but I use a spydaco sharpening system to keep them keen works a charm and very easy to use without damaging the edge .

I find the same as you, mine blunt quicker than I thought they would. I use an electric sharpener that gets them sharp but they lose their edge. A friend has a stone and rods that he uses every time he gets the knives out, you can shave with his!

We have the global ceramic steel and I am not convinced it does any better job than using a whetstone.

I cannot really help except to say do not put them in the dish washer.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Me too. Nice and sharp.
    X3 astonishingly sharp with the Mino device

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    I cannot really help except to say do not put them in the dish washer.

IMG_5716 by sma.ll, on Flickr

Indeed... Do not

Did that happen inside the dishwasher??

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    We have the global ceramic steel and I am not convinced it does any better job than using a whetstone.
    A stone ought to do a far better job than a steel. A steel is more for honing than sharpening.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    A stone ought to do a far better job than a steel. A steel is more for honing than sharpening.
    Surely honing is sharpening??

Craftsman
    In them there mountainous Hills of Surrey
    We use a combination of minosharp for quick and easy sharpen-ups and a global dual compound whetstone every now and then when I have the time and patience. I also use clip on minosharp honing angle guides with the whetstone.
    I believe that globals need a different grinding angle to most knives - using generic electric sharpeners or the like will not do the job well.
    Our latest acquisition is the GS 95 cheese knife - seemed a bit frivolous but it's actually a revelation for cheddar or other hard cheeses.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Surely honing is sharpening??
    In a way, yes. But it is basically just straightening the edge (such as if the edge has rolled, or has burrs). So if the blade is dull to start with then a steel will just leave you with a straight but still dull edge. You sharpen on a stone, and then hone on a steel. A stone shouldn't have to be used very often at all on a good knife, but a steel should be used regularly.

Turn a mug over, use the unglazed part, hey presto, ceramic sharpener in every kitchen.

Mino sharperner for mine... not really needed to use it really on mine.. i just use them rinse and dry and back in the block...

You would never buy global knives for retail prices thats for sure....

Just to clarify - you don't use any of those glass so-called chopping boards?

I use a Lansky 5-stone sharpener, for occasional resharpening, but also the small Lansky carbide/ceramic handhelds.

I used to be death on carbide wheels, but if you are careful - you can get an edge without tearing.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Those pocket lansky are great, I keep one in the work kit for my work knives.

The problem with any stainless knife is that it sacrifices edge-holding ability for corrosion resistance. If you want something really sharp, you want carbon steel.

That said, I find that a simple V-notch sharpener works just fine for getting a stainless edge as keen as it's going to get, as well as being quick and foolproof.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Those pocket lansky are great, I keep one in the work kit for my work knives.

Ultra cheap, too!

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Turn a mug over, use the unglazed part, hey presto, ceramic sharpener in every kitchen.
    After a link showing this approach appeared on my twitter feed, this is what I do every time I take my knives off the rack and again when they go back. It helps that they all receive a proper sharpening from time to time. To the OP- a decent wet stone is the perfect place to start, ideally with two grit sizes, one for rough sharpening and one for polishing the edge. A quick finish with the end of a ceramic mug and you should have an edge that will shave a gnats whisker.

Where can you buy the lanarky knife sharpener?.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by risingsun View Post
    Where can you buy the lanarky knife sharpener?.

The small one is available on Amazon or Ebay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lansky-Shar...nife+sharpener

The full kit - Amazon or google it.

You need a good collection of knives to justify the full kit I feel

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    The small one is available on Amazon or Ebay.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lansky-Shar...nife+sharpener

The full kit - Amazon or google it.

You need a good collection of knives to justify the full kit I feel
    Thanks will check this out.

Just ordered one of those MinoSharp hope they are good as my globals are very blunt now. Given up on them as nothing I used seemed to work!
    Great thread for me !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Japanese knives typically have a different angle to European knives so are not suitrmed to typical sharpeners. I have Kasumi and Shun Damascus steel blades (stunning) but tend to use my Henckels for everyday use and the Japanese steel for finer cutting.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I find the minosharp works great, seems to be better for me than the whetstone, perhaps just my lack of skill.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post

Never had a problem and very easy to operate - perhaps you have a duff one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Me too. Nice and sharp.
    Me too...

10 passes on each wheel and the knife is as good as new

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    The problem with any stainless knife is that it sacrifices edge-holding ability for corrosion resistance. If you want something really sharp, you want carbon steel.

That said, I find that a simple V-notch sharpener works just fine for getting a stainless edge as keen as it's going to get, as well as being quick and foolproof.
    +1 on this.

A friend of mine was in the professional chef industry and the standard advice from the real pros was to get an 8 inch carbon steel "chef's" knife, and a matching paring knife for all your food preparation. The rest was all tinsel (If Veblen made kitchen knives.............). A Japanese whetstone and/or a leather strop if you want to shave with it. Global are probably the TAG Heuer of the kitchen knife world.

And if you need an ultra-sharp knife for slicing onions or fruit then one of the Kyocera ceramics is perfect.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Just to clarify - you don't use any of those glass so-called chopping boards?

I use a Lansky 5-stone sharpener, for occasional resharpening, but also the small Lansky carbide/ceramic handhelds.

I used to be death on carbide wheels, but if you are careful - you can get an edge without tearing.

I use the small Lansky handheld for my kitchen knives and my pocket knives. Great bit of kit for very little money. Gets a great edge on all my blades.

Craftsman
    Global knives are sharpened to a steeper edge than other kitchen knives, 15° as opposed to 20°-25° for most German, English, and American knives. The Chef'sChoice 4643 is one of the few manual knife sharpeners that will sharpen to 15°. Obviously, with a set of water stones you could sharpen to any angle you like, but a draw through sharpener does not require the skills a wet stone does.

https://chefschoice.com/product/chef...er-model-4643/

Sharpening angles on the pocket Lanskey mentioned above are pre-set at 22.5º.
    Last edited by jcm3; 5th March 2018 at 05:24.

I have a set of Taylor’s Eye Witness knives, carbon steel. Richardson‘s set and a 300 year old Sheffield knife.
    They are all razor sharp as I keep them in a knife block or with cardboard sheaves on.
    I use a “Dick” diamond steel commonly called a big dick.
    Never use pre set knife sharpeners and never chop/cut on anything other than wood or plastic boards.
    +1 never ever in a dishwasher.
    Keep carbon steel dried too. Don’t leave them sat in water or wet for long periods they will rust & pit.

Can I also add do not cut on your plates, used to do this if making a quick sandwich then found out it kills the edge

Craftsman
    This is what we use. The pink wheel keeps coming out of it's holder in use which may be a problem? Careful to only use on wooden boards and stopped putting in the dishwasher a while ago. The broken knife was used by SWMBO for purposes other than cutting :) Kept the stub as it makes a wicked scoring tool for pork skin!

Grand Master
    I sharpen knives using an old steel that belonged to my dad. I bought a new one but it was rubbish, just couldn’t get a decent edge with it. Dad’s old one has a wooden handle, it was bought in the 60s and I remember seeing him use it every Sunday prior to carving the Sunday joint.....Sunday dinner was a ritual in our family.

I’ve tried other types of sharpener but given up, now I stick to using the steel.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    This is what we use. The pink wheel keeps coming out of it's holder in use which may be a problem? Careful to only use on wooden boards and stopped putting in the dishwasher a while ago. The broken knife was used by SWMBO for purposes other than cutting :) Kept the stub as it makes a wicked scoring tool for pork skin!
    I have one of those wheel-sharpeners too, and have no issues with it. I think the only knife I put in the dishwasher is actually my one Global knife! (occasionally). No issues yet.

Admit it - you keep the broken one to goad your wife with "Have you seen the Pork-Scoring knife, dear?"

Hard to tell from that resolution, but if one of the wheels is popping out, then I expect that it isn't going to do the job properly and give a nice true contact with the edge as you pass it back and forth.

Additionally, if you have put them in the dishwasher in the past then that will have contributed to the overall bluntness. I wonder if there's a way back for your knives with a new Mino Sharp...?

Just to respond to the OP here;

I have about 7 Global knives and I too find them amazing. I found the best edge I could achieve, after several attempts, was the 2 sided whetstone Minosharp (one side blue one side brown).

BUT...

I don't think its possible to restore the original edge. I can closely match it, say 90% but that original Global edge, as supplied, is unbeatable.

In addition...

I completely disagree with the dishwasher comments above... I have washed the Global knives in the dishwasher every night for over a decade. I have no idea what the implied failure mode is ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post

I completely disagree with the dishwasher comments above... I have washed the Global knives in the dishwasher every night for over a decade. I have no idea what the implied failure mode is ?
    I avoid the dishwasher simply because they could rattle around a bit and possbily damage the edge in the process. Mostly though it is because it takes seconds to wash a knife under the tap if done straight afer using it.

Craftsman
    Just to respond to the OP here;

I have about 7 Global knives and I too find them amazing. I found the best edge I could achieve, after several attempts, was the 2 sided whetstone Minosharp (one side blue one side brown).

BUT...

I don't think its possible to restore the original edge. I can closely match it, say 90% but that original Global edge, as supplied, is unbeatable.

In addition...

Quote from Global website:

Its recommended that you wash your Global knives by hand using a mild dishwashing liquid and water. After
    washing, rinse with water and dry thoroughly with a towel. Global knives should NOT be put in the
    dishwasher. Doing so could damage the sharp edges should they come into contact with other objects in the
    dishwasher. In addition, exposure to extreme heat and powerful detergents found in dishwashers can be
    harmful to CROMOVA 18 high carbon stainless steel.

On the dishwasher thing again; I lay them on their sides on the top tray not in contact.

Also that powerful detergent thing is nonsense; this stainless steel would be in a highly passive state. It would only be vulnerable to high levels of chlorine, fluorine type compounds.

The dishwasher itself is manufactured from stainless.

Master
    The dishwasher itself is manufactured from stainless.
    High carbon stainless?

I find if I put my better knives in the dishwasher you get rust spots on the blade due to the salt in the Dish washer, I always wash by hand now

I bought my mother-in-law two Global knives and she leaves them point down in whichever saucepan she uses (always non-stick to boil water, and always cooks with metal implements in non-stick pans anyway), then leaves them in the bottom of the washing up and finally stores them in the cutlery draw with the table knives.

She tries to do the same with knives in my house (I actually asked her not to whisk anything using a fork in my non-stick wok, with her agreeing it was a silly thing to do while seemingly unaware she was doing just that at the time) but I've put all my good non-stick Le Creuset pans out of her reach on a high shelf and keep asking her not to touch my knives if she's going to abuse them.

I do need to write down some rules because it seems her ears aren't working.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Some good tips in this thread - thanks. Got my first set of three Global knives for my birthday recently as I've wanted some forever and the missus kindly obliged. They're a revelation - the ease which which the bigger of the knives goes through cooked meat and just about anything else is astonishing, but even after a couple months of light use I can already tell they've dulled a bit so was starting to give thought about how to get them sharpened again. I shall have a proper read through the thread before purchasing anything.

Global make decent knives, had ours now for about 15 years. Far sharper than knives I have used in the kitchens of friends or family.

However, a bit like watches, when you have something decent it's still far to easy to start looking around for something better. Came across the Japanese Knife Company at a food show and ended up buying a couple of handmade knives from their Artisan range, that held their edge for about 12 months before they needed touching up.

Master
    Another fan of the Minosharp here. We have had our Le Creuset knives for years and the Minosharp will always put a keen edge on them.

They don’t go anywhere near the dishwasher either!

I’ve never been able to give blanket endorsement for any particular make of knives - I have almost exclusively built up my collection by buying whatever individual knife appeals. To that end, I only have one Global knife, a few Costco Pro, a few Taylors Eye Witness, Vertreib Linder Japanese knives, and a set of Chicago Cutlery Kitchen knives and steak knives. One CC knife dates back to 1980 - still in tip-top condition and a favourite.

They all have different grinds, so I like the Lansky system for initial profiling.

Craftsman
    Well, it looks like you do have one of the few sharpeners built for narrow angle blades like the Global. From the photo it looks like a MinoSharp 220/GB.

Here is how it is intended to be used.