closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst Cold Ever!!

Worst Cold Ever!!

I have just resurfaced after 48hrs of hammering on deaths door. This has by far been the worst cold I have ever experienced. Hit me Friday and I have just had the shakes, full body aches, fever, sweats, rivers of phlegm, headaches etc etc. Christ even my balls are aching! I even slept on and off yesterday for the full 24hrs. I’m not normally one to get colds, but this one has completely floored me. Coughing at the moment is akin to my chest being hit by lightning.

For those fellow members who have had this too, you have my complete sympathy. Utterly horrendous!!

By the sound if it, it might actually be flu.

Grand Master

Worst Cold Ever!!

Yep me too. Couldn’t get upstairs yesterday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIAC

Actual flu this time, rather than man flu. The real thing is horrendous.

Isn't that the bug that the whole of Colchester seem to have

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Isn't that the bug that the whole of Colchester seem to have
    That’s the winter vomiting virus, which as you say has hit Colchester badly. Didn’t suffer those symptoms but might have preferred it to what I’ve been through to be honest.

Reading the symtoms, I might actually have that Aussie flu after all. Never experienced anything like it to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    That’s the winter vomiting virus, which as you say has hit Colchester badly. Didn’t suffer those symptoms but might have preferred it to what I’ve been through to be honest.

Reading the symtoms, I might actually have that Aussie flu after all. Never experienced anything like it to be honest.
    Need to be careful as some of these exotic flus are real killers. People wait too long before presenting themselves at A&E.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Need to be careful as some of these exotic flus are real killers. People wait too long before presenting themselves at A&E.
    Serious? A&E with a cold or flu! The service is already drained without more time wasters, get rested, honey, lemon, ginger, paracetamol, ibuprofen and ride the storm.
    RIAC

Master
    Blog Entries
    Probably because if you go to the docs with anything these days that is not death threatening they look at you confused as to why your wasting there time.

Luckily I've not had anything this winter (yet)

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Serious? A&E with a cold or flu! The service is already drained without more time wasters, get rested, honey, lemon, ginger, paracetamol, ibuprofen and ride the storm.
    My Colchester A&E is on it’s knees!

I’ve ridden the storm, slept most of the weekend, taken the usual cold and flu remedies etc. Any exertion results in sweating and exhaustion but I feel 10 times better than I did yesterday so hopefully I’m over the worst.

Grand Master

Worst Cold Ever!!

Let’s hope so. When you’re in the hurt locker you think you will die but coming out the other side is always so nice to return to normal

RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    35 died in 1 week of January in the UK from flu. They probably thought they'd 'ride the storm' like a hard man too.

Link 1; Call NHS 111 or see your GP if:

• you're worried about your baby's or child's symptoms
    • you're 65 or over
    • you're pregnant
    • you have a long-term medical condition – for example, diabetes or a heart, lung, kidney or neurological disease
    • you have a weakened immune system – for example, because of chemotherapy or HIV
    • your symptoms don't improve after 7 days

Link 2: "Usually, you can manage flu symptoms yourself at home and there's no need to see a GP. Most people feel better within a week. You should consider seeing your GP if you're at a higher risk of becoming more seriously ill...In these cases, your GP may suggest taking antiviral medication." Then follows:

Managing your symptoms at home

If you're otherwise healthy, you can look after yourself at home by resting, keeping warm and drinking plenty of water to avoid dehydration.

If you feel unwell and have a fever, you can take paracetamol or anti-inflammatory medicines such as ibuprofen to lower your temperature and relieve aches. Children under 16 shouldn't be given aspirin.

Stay off work or school until you're feeling better. For most people, this will take about a week. See your GP if your symptoms get worse or last longer than a week.

Grand Master
    35 died in 1 week of January in the UK from flu. They probably thought they'd 'ride the storm' like a hard man too.
    Ok valid comment but I have family working there and most walk in with a cold and want paracetamol costing a lot of time and effort that can be saved for those at risk of death that are missing out.

RIAC

Sounds like what I had a fortnight ago. Completely knocked me off my feet for four days.

I feel your pain.

Master
    Speaking as an old codger (heart condition unknown) I have every sympathy with the OP. I've had a very similar bug which knocked me sideways on Friday. I struggled through the day but went to bed at 7pm, fully dressed because I couldn't get warm, and got up again on Saturday at around 5pm. By 7.30pm I was back in bed till Sunday morning. I've still got the cough, the headache and feeling a bit wobbly, but had to go and buy food today. Halfway round a packed supermarket I felt very unwell and feverish. Lovely way to spend a weekend!

I've also had the Winter Vomiting Virus in January, and also last October. Hard to say which one is preferable, as both make you feel like death-warmed-up. Careful self-medication involving ibuprofen, paracetamol, lemon juice and whisky works wonders when taken individually and not all in the same glass!

Some nasty germs out there.

According to PHE's reports the figures were:

2018 total deaths new ICU admissions confirmed deaths
    week reported in the UK since week 40 2017 since week 40 2017
    1 27 664 85
    2 17 952 120
    3 20 1,283 155
    4 30 1,552 191
    5 16 1,801 215

Then, www.flusurvey.org.uk report that over the same period the cumulative incidence of influenza like illness (ILI) rose to over 300 per 1000 people:

Now that's only from those participating, but it does show that the incidence of ILI was very high. Imagine if all of them took themselves to A&E.

Craftsman
    My Colchester A&E is on it’s knees!

I’ve ridden the storm, slept most of the weekend, taken the usual cold and flu remedies etc. Any exertion results in sweating and exhaustion but I feel 10 times better than I did yesterday so hopefully I’m over the worst.
    Had the same thing as you, Colchester is my local hospital too and I wouldnt ever think of going there for a cold or flu. However, I decided to see if my doctor could do anything about the cough as I couldnt sleep. I havent been to my doctor for years and after being told its viral and nothing they can do, I was annoyed at myself for even bothering to go. I ruined my long term no visits record :p

Funny thing, I had coughed so much over two days that my back and balls hurt as well :D

All good now. :)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Ive managed to avoid it so far. Seriously though I am very glad your'e all on the road to recovery.
    Famous last words 😱

Master
    Glad to hear you're on the mend Jason; did you get the flu jab this year?

Grand Master
    If it’s Aussie flu you think you are over it, then it comes back five times worse, rinse and repeat for a month. One colleague went to the gp after two weeks and ended up hospitalised for four days. If you get this those man flu bouts are shown up for what they really are, I couldn’t function for nearly three weeks.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Sorry to hear about you being laid low, J. Hope that you are properly on the mend now. Take care.

The subsequent discussion reminded me of this:

Grand Master
    Strongly recommend 500mg vitamin C every day. I’ve done this over the winter and not been poorly at all, apart from a couple of colds. As a result of previous illness/ treatment I have a depressed immune system and low white blood cell count, but I’ve fared better than those around me this winter. Wifey had full- blown flu over Christmas whilst I had only a mild cold, everyone around us got sick apart from me.

I used to take vitamin C when I was running seriously in the past, I’m convinced it helps.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Strongly recommend 500mg vitamin C every day. I’ve done this over the winter and not been poorly at all, apart from a couple of colds. As a result of previous illness/ treatment I have a depressed immune system and low white blood cell count, but I’ve fared better than those around me this winter. Wifey had full- blown flu over Christmas whilst I had only a mild cold, everyone around us got sick apart from me.

I used to take vitamin C when I was running seriously in the past, I’m convinced it helps.

Paul
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Just wait until you start on the zinc and vitamin d.

Craftsman
    Just had the worst cold I've ever had. (I am 42). Lasted 3 weeks. Usually I sneeze, get a runny nose etc. But this really knocked me out. I couldn't concentrate very well, hacking cough with lots of mucus, headaches all the time and it actually made me feel sick a lot of the time? That was the strangest thing. It also put me off loads of types of food. Not the flu, but pretty terrible. Loads of it around.

Quote Originally Posted by GIB984 View Post
    Glad to hear you're on the mend Jason; did you get the flu jab this year?
    Thanks Gary. No, don’t bother with the jabs. It’s my way of saying I’m not old enough

Everyday feeling 10 times better. Just can’t shake off this cough! Chest just won’t loosen. Taste buds shot to pieces too.

Grand Master
    The Olbus oil inhalation’s are very good to free up the chest mucus

RIAC

Master
    It's hit me for four weeks and the chest is still a bit tickly. I've discovered Bushmills during the healing process though! :)

After wading through all of winter without so much of a sniffle, I thought I might have contracted flu too, horrendous headaches, body beginning to stop functioning, coughing, spluttering, etc. Turned out to be just a throat infection and lasted only days. How pathetic of me.

My daughter was rushed into Hospital last Friday week, pneumonia was diagnosed she's 31. She has been convalescing at home all last week. There are some scary bugs about that's for sure, so pleased I had the Flu jab not had a sniffle this winter

Master
    Just be careful if you think it's only a cold.

I am 55 never been ill in my life and thought i had a bit of man flu.

Just released after 5 days in hospital and confirmed it was pneumonia and a rare strain at that.

Another week left untreated and the consultant said i may have never needed another watch again.(At least me and the consultant had something in common)

I have just resurfaced after 48hrs of hammering on deaths door. This has by far been the worst cold I have ever experienced. Hit me Friday and I have just had the shakes, full body aches, fever, sweats, rivers of phlegm, headaches etc etc. Christ even my balls are aching! I even slept on and off yesterday for the full 24hrs. I’m not normally one to get colds, but this one has completely floored me. Coughing at the moment is akin to my chest being hit by lightning.

For those fellow members who have had this too, you have my complete sympathy. Utterly horrendous!!
    I think that was Enoch Powell's first draft of his famous speech.

My sympathies and best wishes to anybody suffering. I had a couple of bouts of something-or-other just after Christmas which knocked me sideways for a bit, but from the descriptions given, some of you (and your nearest and dearest) seem to have really suffered.

Hang on in there. Spring is almost here!
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    My daughter was rushed into Hospital last Friday week, pneumonia was diagnosed she's 31. She has been convalescing at home all last week. There are some scary bugs about that's for sure, so pleased I had the Flu jab not had a sniffle this winter
    Colleague sitting across from me had the flu shot earlier this year... he's been sick twice in the last two months.. for a duration of three weeks each.. i'm not convinced the flu shot works given there are so many strains of the flu these days!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Haven't had a flu jab or sniffle.

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Just be careful if you think it's only a cold.

I am 55 never been ill in my life and thought i had a bit of man flu.

Just released after 5 days in hospital and confirmed it was pneumonia and a rare strain at that.

Another week left untreated and the consultant said i may have never needed another watch again.(At least me and the consultant had something in common)
    Some months ago I saw a tiny notice in my GP surgery offering free pneumonia jabs for over 65s. Made me wonder then if 'the powers that be' knew something, but weren't exactly going out of their way to publicise it nationally perchance panic might overcome we OAPs. And they would like us off their books anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    Colleague sitting across from me had the flu shot earlier this year... he's been sick twice in the last two months.. for a duration of three weeks each.. i'm not convinced the flu shot works given there are so many strains of the flu these days!
    I was told that it depends on how your body and mentality is at the time of the jab, if your down or tired it probably won't help? My whole office have been sick and my partner as well as my daughter, I'm usually the one who's ill?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Haven't had a flu jab or sniffle.
    Yet!
    RIAC

Master
    I had flu back in January and it was particularly bad - took a whole week off work (which I have not done for illness ever), and was in bed for several days. Went to the Dr after a week as per the NHS advice and was told I was on the mend and needed to rehydrate and would still be around 10 days before I was back to normal - which was pretty much spot on.

Flu jab next year!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    If it’s Aussie flu you think you are over it, then it comes back five times worse, rinse and repeat for a month. One colleague went to the gp after two weeks and ended up hospitalised for four days. If you get this those man flu bouts are shown up for what they really are, I couldn’t function for nearly three weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by VoleBoy View Post
    It also put me off loads of types of food. Not the flu, but pretty terrible. Loads of it around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    I did have the flu jab, but came down with what seemed like a fierce cold, but not as bad as others have described and no cough (I’m particularly concerned about reports of coughing until your balls ache / explode!) But it has kept on coming back again and again every time you think you’re over it. I’ve lost count of how long that’s been going on but I’m thinking at least three weeks, now it seems to have finally gone but who knows? We’ve been calling it Boomerang ‘Flu, since it’s Australian and keeps coming back. Aparently it mutated to a different strain to the one in the jab. Loads of people have been off work.

The taste thing is interesting to hear, I sent a bottle of wine back over the weekend that tasted sour to me (well it was ‘natural’ wine which can taste a bit flat at the best of times), while others thought it was ok. Then I tried three more they had by the glass before giving up, they all tasted like dishwater to me. I treated myself to spicy noodles today and they tasted completely bland, same recipe and chef as usual so something’s not right.

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    Some months ago I saw a tiny notice in my GP surgery offering free pneumonia jabs for over 65s. Made me wonder then if 'the powers that be' knew something, but weren't exactly going out of their way to publicise it nationally perchance panic might overcome we OAPs. And they would like us off their books anyway.

I got a pneumonia jab when I went for my flu shot a couple of years ago. The nurse looked at my record and offered it there an then. With today's electronic records keeping I'm guessing it should be flagged up automatically. When I didn't get one the following year I looked it up on-line and found it's a once only jab (at my age): link.

As for the flu shot, I'm very grateful it's on offer. In my case it doesn't do any harm, it may well do a power of good, it may ameliorate the symptoms if it's not totally effective or, if I manage to pick up some newer strain I get the flu in any case. What is there to gain by not having it?

Random data point re flu jabs: As usual this winter my wife had a flu jab and I didn't. For the first time either of us can remember, we both caught a seemingly particularly aggressive strain and were simultaneously poleaxed for the best part of four weeks. The wife may have been slightly less affected but there was very little in it, particularly if you allow for mine being 'man flu'.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by petethegeek View Post
    Random data point re flu jabs: As usual this winter my wife had a flu jab and I didn't. For the first time either of us can remember, we both caught a seemingly particularly aggressive strain and were simultaneously poleaxed for the best part of four weeks. The wife may have been slightly less affected but there was very little in it, particularly if you allow for mine being 'man flu'.
    Yeah my thoughts exactly. I know the argument of getting a flu jab is that "there is no harm" in doing so, but at the same time, you are getting something pumped directly into your body.. so I'd rather not.

Knocked you upside down?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Knocked you upside down?
    A real head turner (but not in the nice way!)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    The post I was waiting for! I've been under the weather for a few weeks, symptoms presented in the following order:

Cough
    Sinuses

All ok for a day or two

Throat
    Sinuses
    Cough

It's miserable. Worst I've had.

Master
    I’m on this now.

Had a cold for. few days 2 weeks ago, thought i had r3covered. Then last Thursday started going downhill rapidly. Thought it was getting better today, felt ok this early afternoon, but back with a screaming headache now.

Better clear up soon, meant to be racing at Snetterton on Friday and Saturday.

Yes i, along with most of my coleagues, had it this year. Thought i was finally over it a few weeks ago then it came back a second time! As someone else said its a nice feeling when you start to feel normal again

As Per Colin72Blue I contracted a cold early February, this left me completely knackered, after about two weeks I thought I was over the worst of it, now a few weeks later it's back, only this time joined by a wheezing cough and what also feels a bit like tonsillitis. This is without doubt the most lingering shitty cold I have had.

Felt a bit ropey on Saturday and it hit me like a ton of bricks the next day. My temperature is up to 39.9 but I get these violent shakes and feel like I’m freezing at night.
    Im due to go into Harefield next week for an op but I’m dreading they’ll say it’ll have to be postponed.