closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Farer...?

Farer...?

https://farer.com/collections/aqua-c...sor-automatics

New brand to me, apologies if already posted previously..

Apprentice
    I like the look of them but I think the prices are too high in my opinion

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

They look decent but I doubt I’d pay that for one,I’d try one at 500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot less derivative than some, and the gmts are quite nice looking.

But, I think they’re quite nice looking in a £400 sort of way, rather than a £1,200 sort of way. Must be a very tough sector to be breaking in to.

Apprentice
    Ain't owned one, but they appear to be well received in the watch community. They are priced higher than I like, but understand this is to create a luxury brand image.

Master
    OK the GMT model has exactly the same movement as the Steinhart GMT Hommage...at 3 times the price and uglier????

Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    OK the GMT model has exactly the same movement as the Steinhart GMT Hommage...at 3 times the price and uglier????
    My Sinn U1 has the same movement as a Steinhart Ocean 1... at three times the price and uglier.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post
    My Sinn U1 has the same movement as a Steinhart Ocean 1... at three times the price and uglier.
    Makes you think... Of course, Sinn have reputation for design and quality to compensate....

I really like the Farer - in fact I have a WTB for an Oxley. Pretty much echoes the sentiments that they're just priced too high.

I have actually dealt with the company / guys behind the brand. All four are from a design background and seem dedicated to the brand and acomidating to us as customers (my sister went to their offices to look over all the watches). We bought my brother in law a quartz GMT for his 40th (he is not a watch guy - never wore one) and he wears it all the time now. The watches are very well finished, designed and executed which mean I think they are a level up from Steinhart in my mind. They are not much further off other micro brands in terms of price really (Halios, some of Eddie's higher end pieces, etc, etc). So certainly worth considering.
    I think they have a few models stocked in Selfridges if you wanted a look at the level of finish before buying.

Craftsman
    I like the look of those, the compressor cased diver especially. It does all come down to price though. Getting that right for a relatively new brand must be difficult, but the quality looks good.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    My wife has a quartz GMT which I keep meaning to borrow. A nice grab and go watch; the prices could be considered a bit high, but so could lots of other brands. There doesn’t seem to be much of a second hand market so I expect most buyers are hanging on to them.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Don’t like the gold- coloured crown at all, just looks wrong to me. Otherwise I like it, I like the case design which is a throwback to the 70s cushion/ C cases. Obviously the watch has no date but uses the ETA 2824 movement which has a date function; I guess the date wheel is removed but the crown action will still feature the quickset date position? That’s the easy way to work round it. On the subject of movements, I’m surprised they’re using an ETA, I thought ETA had stopped supplying to other manufacturers. The Sellita S200 would’ve made more sense to me.

A concern I have with any small manufacturer is spares availability, particularly case parts such as the crown and pendant tube. We all know that screw down crowns wear and give trouble eventually, if parts aren’t available to fix it properly the owner’s got a problem and it isn’t easy to sort out using generic parts.

As for the price, I wouldn’t pass judgement without looking v. closely at the watch.......pulling one apart would be interesting and that’s the only way to really asses build quality. If they’re serious about building the brand they’ve got to get quality control right, and that’s often a challenge for a small manufacturer.

Paul

I think the crown is bronze... so they want it patina with touch to ‘make it your own’ if I remember correctly from the branding. Bit of a mute point with the quartz models they started with I guess!

Grand Master
    Making the crown bronze so it’ll change colour etc is just plain wrong on a watch like this, all the ‘make it your’ is just bollocks, they’ve spoiled a good watch with this crass marketing trick. Sometimes wonder what these folks are thinking, it’ll be some marketing wally who’s come up with this.

Nice watch, shame about that silly crown

Paul

I actually don’t object to the crown, unless verdigris and deterioration is likely to compromise the watch down the line...

Craftsman
    I've been looking at their website for about a week, having been led there via a "£1000 GMT Auto discussion" on PistonHeads (Holiday looming so 'need' a dual time watch obviously - even though the time difference will be 1 hour ...).

I like both the Oxley GMT and the Twin Crown Compressor case diver.

Possibly a little over priced as others have said - @ 500-600 I'd had ordered one by now (Birthday in 3 weeks).

Would using different metal for the crown / case present an issue - not clear whether they have bronze screwing on a SS case or the crown tube is also bronze.

Have to say I really like those Oxley, Ponting II and that Barnato II on a Milanese strap but again the price seems high for something I’m not up to speed on, maybe keep my eyes on those watches and see if there’s one pops up a bit cheaper...
    Last edited by Martylaa; 3rd July 2018 at 07:07.

Think I'd be trying one of these first if I was after something unknown https://www.boldrsupply.co/collections/expedition

Boldr? No, letting a 3 year old move about the letters on the fridge door is not the way to name a watch brand....

It’s “modern” though innit. No one does e’s anymore, it’s not the nineties ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    It’s “modern” though innit. No one does e’s anymore, it’s not the nineties ;)
    I beg to differ

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    A lot less derivative than some, and the gmts are quite nice looking.

But, I think they’re quite nice looking in a £400 sort of way, rather than a £1,200 sort of way. Must be a very tough sector to be breaking in to.
    I concur sir.

I do know someone who has bought an aqua compressor diver, it's a nice watch well made, too big for me though. He likes it a lot, and he's not too poor so cost didn't bother him for a good looking beater.

They certainly look good imho. Maybe if they dont sell very well the price will come down, wait a minute didn't a Swiss company put prices way up to make their product exclusive and now sell loads...........

Craftsman
    These have caught my eye before on the infamous book-of-face but would prefer a Oak and Oscar

How much? fnarr fnarr,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I keep being tempted by the "Leven" compressor style as I love the vintage vibe, but no way at full price. £500-700 would probably see me buy one.
    Last edited by Scepticalist; 4th July 2018 at 07:41.

Master
    Thought I'd reactivate this thread.

I'm interested in the Farer Leven and was wondering whether anyone on here had had experience of it or, failing that, of the other two aqua compressor models? I've only heard praise for Farer's finishing and, judging from the height and lug-to-lug, I guess it should wear very comfortably, even on smaller wrists.

Any views/thoughts appreciated!