closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko Quartz Twin Pulse Motor Demonstration (my 1st try at slo-mo!)

Grand Seiko Quartz Twin Pulse Motor Demonstration (my 1st try at slo-mo!)

It seems that it's Grand Seiko week here on TZ-UK!

As a life long fan of Seikos in general, I've always wondered if they live up to the hype. For me, the pinnacle of my collection from a quality stance has been my Omega SMP Co-axial. Its the watch I measure "quality" against - and since owning it, I find myself more critical of things like bracelet finish and clasp design. To that end, I've had a few disappointments over the years, none less that a Seiko SARB that I had to send straight back beacuse of its terrible clasp fit (gaping gap to the 1st link that was at best a bad design and at worst, just plain faulty).

So - this week, I took delivery of my first Grand Seiko. I say "first" because I am smitten and sure to want a Spring Drive next!

This is the quartz model with the 9F62 movement inside. There's a great article here for those that want or need more info: http://watchesbysjx.com/2013/05/expl...tz-exists.html

To the naked eye, the quartz "tick" is like you'd expect - except that it hits the markers perfectly with a very clinical "snap". Grand Seiko have created a "twin pulse" motor which allows them to fit longer hands not normally seen on a quartz (or so they claim... are they REALLY longer than you see elsewhere???).

These hands require more torque which is a tough thing to come by on a traditional quartz pulse motor (<-- written in my own layman's terms!).

Here's Seiko's own words on the twin pulse system and their backlash auto-adjust system:

And so I set about seeing this for myself... with a DIY setup at my dining room patio windows for lots of natural light. My little Nikon 1 camera does 400fps and 1200fps slow motion clips and has captured the twin pulses in action. ISO levels are through the roof... and despite lots of light and a boost from a hand held LED Lenser, its pretty grainy... but hopefully you will enjoy seeing those double pulses.

(NB: I've edited out the long wait between pulses)

Master
    Nice video! I had thought of doing the same after seeing some super slow mo shots and it's fascinating to see how these GS works. Beautiful watch btw!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    It seems that it's Grand Seiko week here on TZ-UK!

As a life long fan of Seikos in general, I've always wondered if they live up to the hype. For me, the pinnacle of my collection from a quality stance has been my Omega SMP Co-axial. Its the watch I measure "quality" against - and since owning it, I find myself more critical of things like bracelet finish and clasp design. To that end, I've had a few disappointments over the years, none less that a Seiko SARB that I had to send straight back beacuse of its terrible clasp fit (gaping gap to the 1st link that was at best a bad design and at worst, just plain faulty).

So - this week, I took delivery of my first Grand Seiko. I say "first" because I am smitten and sure to want a Spring Drive next!

This is the quartz model with the 9F62 movement inside. There's a great article here for those that want or need more info: http://watchesbysjx.com/2013/05/expl...tz-exists.html

To the naked eye, the quartz "tick" is like you'd expect - except that it hits the markers perfectly with a very clinical "snap". Grand Seiko have created a "twin pulse" motor which allows them to fit longer hands not normally seen on a quartz (or so they claim... are they REALLY longer than you see elsewhere???).

These hands require more torque which is a tough thing to come by on a traditional quartz pulse motor (<-- written in my own layman's terms!).

Here's Seiko's own words on the twin pulse system and their backlash auto-adjust system:

And so I set about seeing this for myself... with a DIY setup at my dining room patio windows for lots of natural light. My little Nikon 1 camera does 400fps and 1200fps slow motion clips and has captured the twin pulses in action. ISO levels are through the roof... and despite lots of light and a boost from a hand held LED Lenser, its pretty grainy... but hopefully you will enjoy seeing those double pulses.

(NB: I've edited out the long wait between pulses)

The watch looks really nice, I'm thinking about getting one.

That is extremely cool. You'd never know they'd done that unless you looked, which I rather like.

Very interesting. Cheers
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Nice vid. They're also more accurate then they specify. My quartz diver lost 2 secs over the 6 months between daylight saving adjustment. 50 year service interval. Temp compensated quartz crystal with individually programmed 510 samples per day micro chip. Got to be the most advanced quartz movement out there. And they also do special editions which are specified to +/- 5 spy. What other company make every single part of their watch, even the battery.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Nice vid. They're also more accurate then they specify. My quartz diver lost 2 secs over the 6 months between daylight saving adjustment. 50 year service interval. Temp compensated quartz crystal with individually programmed 510 samples per day micro chip. Got to be the most advanced quartz movement out there. And they also do special editions which are specified to +/- 5 spy. What other company make every single part of their watch, even the battery.
    The more I read about them the more I want one. I didn't know about the 50 year service interval, that would out live me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJI View Post
    The more I read about them the more I want one. I didn't know about the 50 year service interval, that would out live me.
    Inside the case, the movement is sealed to stop the oil drying out, and dust getting in, when the battery is changed. On the date version, the number changes over at exactly midnight at 2000th of a second. The polishing of the case is the same system developed over thousands of years for polishing Japanese swords.

Apart from wearing it, I use it to set my other watches by. Minus 4 secs a year is good enough for me.

The downside of this approach is the increased power consumption. To me the 9F battery life is rubbish for a simple 3 hander watch with no other complications.

Citizen Chronomaster A660 with independent hour set hand, perpetual calendar and 5 secs a year out of the box, blows the GS 9F right out of the water and with better battery life to boot (5 years vs 3 for GS quartz).

And “The Citizen” is also offered in Eco-Drive solar versions. When will Seiko update the now 25 year old 9F quartz movement?

Grand Seiko Quartz Twin Pulse Motor Demonstration (my 1st try at slo-mo!)

Inside the case, the movement is sealed to stop the oil drying out, and dust getting in, when the battery is changed. On the date version, the number changes over at exactly midnight at 2000th of a second. The polishing of the case is the same system developed over thousands of years for polishing Japanese swords.

Apart from wearing it, I use it to set my other watches by. Minus 4 secs a year is good enough for me.
    I would recommend trying a Citizen Chronomaster. To me it punches above its weight and for similar money you get a watch that is far more rare, has better movement, more accurate and far superior warranty (10
    Years vs 3 for Grand Seiko).

I had both watches. The Citizen impressed me far more than the SBGT037 GS day/date quartz I had. And did I mention how amazing is the lume on the Chronomaster?

I had a CTQ57-0953 in Duratect coated steel like this one:

Last edited by Lostintime; 2nd March 2018 at 20:43.

Journeyman

I'm convinced, starting to regret buying a Tudor Black Bay 36 earlier this year, should have got a GS Quartz instead. Nothing wrong with the Tudor, but from what I've seen and read I think the GS is so much better. I'm sure I'd lose to much on the Tudor if I sold it now. So I'm now looking for a good used GS quartz.

Master
    I'm convinced, starting to regret buying a Tudor Black Bay 36 earlier this year, should have got a GS Quartz instead. Nothing wrong with the Tudor, but from what I've seen and read I think the GS is so much better. I'm sure I'd lose to much on the Tudor if I sold it now. So I'm now looking for a good used GS quartz.
    There great mate, but try and enjoy what you've got for a little while first. The grass is always greener and all that and the Tudor is a great watch that may very well grow on you

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    There great mate, but try and enjoy what you've got for a little while first. The grass is always greener and all that and the Tudor is a great watch that may very well grow on you

I do like it, not as much as my Omega Seamaster 300m though, which I only got late last year. So I don't think the time is right to splash out on another new one. That's why I'm thinking used.

Master
    I do like it, not as much as my Omega Seamaster 300m though, which I only got late last year. So I don't think the time is right to splash out on another new one. That's why I'm thinking used.
    Yeah that makes sense. If you can get one for a reasonable amount on the SC, you can always sell it on if it doesn't live up to expectations

Master
    Good plan. Keep all three. See what gets the wrist time.

It’s a great watch, the Tudor that is.

Let me give you a small hint... The bracelet and clasp of your Tudor is much better than the GS quartz. My main caveat with GS watches is the mediocre bracelet for the class and the lack of micro adjustment in the clasp.

Journeyman
    Yeah that makes sense. If you can get one for a reasonable amount on the SC, you can always sell it on if it doesn't live up to expectations

Only joined this a few days ago so got a while to wait before I can look at SC. Will be interesting to see if there's anything I like when I can.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    It’s a great watch, the Tudor that is.

Let me give you a small hint... The bracelet and clasp of your Tudor is much better than the GS quartz. My main caveat with GS watches is the mediocre bracelet for the class and the lack of micro adjustment in the clasp.
    I'm not a great fan of Bracelets, so when I bought it I got the AD to put on the NATO that came with it. The Bracelet is unused. But I didn't think the NATO did it any favours so its now on a Hirsch Camelgrain strap.

Master
    Only joined this a few days ago so got a while to wait before I can look at SC. Will be interesting to see if there's anything I like when I can.
    Ah right. Not overly common there but they come up from time to time

I'm not a great fan of Bracelets, so when I bought it I got the AD to put on the NATO that came with it. The Bracelet is unused. But I didn't think the NATO did it any favours so its now on a Hirsch Camelgrain strap.
    Just be aware... The basic 9f grand seikos are 37mm. On leather... They feel quite small to me. Mine came with both bracelet and leather, but I doubt I'll ever wear it on the leather strap. It's just too small for my liking and the bracelet makes it look and feel bigger.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    I would recommend trying a Citizen Chronomaster. To me it punches above its weight and for similar money you get a watch that is far more rare, has better movement, more accurate and far superior warranty (10
    Years vs 3 for Grand Seiko).

I had both watches. The Citizen impressed me far more than the SBGT037 GS day/date quartz I had. And did I mention how amazing is the lume on the Chronomaster?

I had a CTQ57-0953 in Duratect coated steel like this one:

I would like to give one a go if one came up at the right price. Whats the service interval? I've got the GS Quartz diver. Very impressive. Accuracy is as good as the Citizen. Mine is -4 secs/year. Its the 50 year service interval that I like. Just a few battery changes which one can do oneself. Very solid movement.

The truth is watches are just mens jewellery, but we have so many excuses. Most on here are just buying the case, the name, the "Swiss Made" etc. If we were bothered about the accuracy we would just buy solar powered radio or GPS controlled watches, but most on here have mechanical Swiss vintage technology which are only accurate to around 5 secs a day (1825 spy). Ands that's fine for most human purposes.

Journeyman
    Ah right. Not overly common there but they come up from time to time

When I can I'll take a look, I could get lucky

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    Just be aware... The basic 9f grand seikos are 37mm. On leather... They feel quite small to me. Mine came with both bracelet and leather, but I doubt I'll ever wear it on the leather strap. It's just too small for my liking and the bracelet makes it look and feel bigger.
    I have small wrists, that why I got the Tudor BB 36mm and my Omega is 36.25mm

That's what I am thinking as well; it actually would be a good buy for me, since I'll never get to service it in my lifetime. But that's not going to happen in the next two years, I guess (other financial priorities, and my only two watches having real value are too dear to me).

However, a GS quartz is high on my wish list.