closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 523

Thread: Show us your Grand Seikos THREAD

  1. #101
    Craftsman trott3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    greater manchester UK
    Posts
    375
    ooh i do like a good power reserve indicator on a mechanical watch

  2. #102
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,891



  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    I was procrastinating the other day and found this little interview with an English GS collector who has 45 of them. Reasonably interesting and not too long
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlbpp5eLdDM
    Good little video - and he comes across very well indeed.

    I think this is his Instagram account, which is very nice: https://www.instagram.com/watchdxb/?hl=en

  4. #104
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Warks
    Posts
    4,834
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Good little video - and he comes across very well indeed.

    I think this is his Instagram account, which is very nice: https://www.instagram.com/watchdxb/?hl=en
    Certainly looks like it. There's a lot of nice pictures of very nice watches on there

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Certainly looks like it. There's a lot of nice pictures of very nice watches on there

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    To my mind at least, he seems to have retained a sort of awe of watches. It's very refreshing, there seems to be a de facto mode of cynicism and jaundice among too many collectors that you see interviewed. And yep, a lot of nice pictures of very nice watches on there.

  6. #106
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Warks
    Posts
    4,834
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    To my mind at least, he seems to have retained a sort of awe of watches. It's very refreshing, there seems to be a de facto mode of cynicism and jaundice among too many collectors that you see interviewed. And yep, a lot of nice pictures of very nice watches on there.
    Yeah I try to avoid negative watch people. Sort of sucks the fun out of it. BTW, that was your 1000th post

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

  7. #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Yeah I try to avoid negative watch people. Sort of sucks the fun out of it.
    Couldn't agree more. GS seems like a brand that might retain more of the positivity and less of the posture

    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    BTW, that was your 1000th post
    I'm hoping to see a special level of SC with even mankier shoes...

  8. #108
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,081
    Bit of fun with my smartphone camera and pairing it with a 10x belomo loupe. Surprisingly works for a simple macro setup!


  9. #109
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Bit of fun with my smartphone camera and pairing it with a 10x belomo loupe. Surprisingly works for a simple macro setup!

    Fantastic photos of a magnificent watch, that dial is unreal finishing


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #110
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    331
    Seiko is probably one of the more interesting watches to collect because of the variety. They have almost every style under the sun.

  11. #111
    Master yonsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sweden & yonsson.com
    Posts
    2,749
    Blog Entries
    3


    SBGH257




    SBGJ00E




    SBGE015

  12. #112
    That's just showing off ;-)

  13. #113
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    164

    Show us your Grand Seikos THREAD

    I can't seem to get my image uploaded right, will have to try again later
    Last edited by PhilipJI; 11th March 2018 at 12:31. Reason: Can't seem to get my image to load correctly

  14. #114
    Master MFB Scotland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,142
    Blog Entries
    1
    A pair of GS

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  15. #115
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,040
    If I'm honest, I prefer the hi-beat - the flat dial, older branding and lack of power reserve indicator are the clinchers.

    However, they are both nice.

  16. #116
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,357
    I'm no fan of the power reserve; it's simply not needed on the spring-drive because the rewind mechanism is unusually efficient. Wear the watch in the normal way and it won't wind down.

  17. #117
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I'm no fan of the power reserve; it's simply not needed on the spring-drive because the rewind mechanism is unusually efficient. Wear the watch in the normal way and it won't wind down.
    I do like the power reserve on a watch, if the watch is part of a rotation you can check the level and give it a wind before it stops.

  18. #118
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,571

    Show us your Grand Seikos THREAD

    Personally I also like the power reserve indicator as I sometimes donít wear the watch for a few days and it helps to see when it will stop.

    This one is also perfectly executed with great attention to detail.




  19. #119
    Craftsman trott3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    greater manchester UK
    Posts
    375
    A power reserve indicator is a lot more useful than a date complication IMO.

    Although a kanji is nice for decoration :)

  20. #120
    Master Plake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sunny Sussex
    Posts
    3,250
    Have had absolutely loads of GS over the years. Now I think I only have one...but itís special. The first GS - 3180 - in pretty good nick considering its age.


  21. #121
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    849
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Have had absolutely loads of GS over the years. Now I think I only have one...but itís special. The first GS - 3180 - in pretty good nick considering its age.

    Oh my..... what a beauty


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I'm no fan of the power reserve; it's simply not needed on the spring-drive because the rewind mechanism is unusually efficient. Wear the watch in the normal way and it won't wind down.
    Wasnít there one with the indicator on the reverse? I thought that was clever, though canít seem to recall the model...

  23. #123
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Warks
    Posts
    4,834
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Wasnít there one with the indicator on the reverse? I thought that was clever, though canít seem to recall the model...
    The the 8 day manual wind ones have it on the reverse as does the Credor Eichi 2

    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

  24. #124
    Every time I think about the Eichi II, I need to have a little sit down.

  25. #125
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Warks
    Posts
    4,834
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Every time I think about the Eichi II, I need to have a little sit down.
    Yes. It's rather nice and comfortable



    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

  26. #126
    Master yonsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sweden & yonsson.com
    Posts
    2,749
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola View Post
    Yes. It's rather nice and comfortable



    Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    And pretty rare I imagine. You never ever see them for sale on the Japanese second hand market.

  27. #127
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    1,073
    My SBGX065. This is the earlier version of Ben's SBGX265 with both Seiko and GS logos on the dial. I prefer it for it's balance, but they're both beauties. The finish on these watches is just incredible.


  28. #128
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    My SBGX065. This is the earlier version of Ben's SBGX265 with both Seiko and GS logos on the dial. I prefer it for it's balance, but they're both beauties. The finish on these watches is just incredible.

    I think it looks stunning in Blue and totally agree with you about the finish on GS watches. Personally I prefer without Seiko on them, but understand when you say about the balance.

  29. #129
    Two dreadful pictures:

    SBGX117:



    and SBGX091:


  30. #130
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Posts
    1,571
    Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Two dreadful pictures:

    SBGX117:



    and SBGX091:

    The SBGX091 is stunning- I used to own this hope Iíll have another one at some point.

  31. #131
    Master MFB Scotland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Posts
    5,142
    Blog Entries
    1
    I am getting drawn deeper into the world of GS.
    Last edited by MFB Scotland; 14th March 2018 at 21:45.

  32. #132
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I am getting drawn deeper into the world of GS.
    So am I. I'm now thinking of selling or swapping my Tudor Black Bay 36 to get a second GS

  33. #133
    Master mindforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,922
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJI View Post
    So am I. I'm now thinking of selling or swapping my Tudor Black Bay 36 to get a second GS
    That would be a good move I reckon. I tried a BB36 on and my SBGR053 was far better I thought...

  34. #134
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    That would be a good move I reckon. I tried a BB36 on and my SBGR053 was far better I thought...
    I really like my BB 36, but I'm getting more and more into GS watches. I have a quartz one, now would like a mechanical one too.

  35. #135
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland View Post
    I am getting drawn deeper into the world of GS.
    You're not the only one.

  36. #136
    Master Argon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
    My SBGX065. This is the earlier version of Ben's SBGX265 with both Seiko and GS logos on the dial. I prefer it for it's balance, but they're both beauties. The finish on these watches is just incredible.

    Wonderful dial - what a colour!

  37. #137
    Any Basel findings for GS? Had a Google and nout.

  38. #138
    Master Toshk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Any Basel findings for GS? Had a Google and nout.
    Tomorrow

  39. #139
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Any Basel findings for GS? Had a Google and nout.
    Found this new GMT on Instagram (@misterrolex). Made of bright titanium and ceramic. Plenty of lume too, and that dial is gorgeous!

  40. #140
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Tomorrow
    Ah! Cheers

  41. #141
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Found this new GMT on Instagram (@misterrolex). Made of bright titanium and ceramic. Plenty of lume too, and that dial is gorgeous!
    Wow, that is very blue! Can't say I'm a fan of the painted look to the case, but the dial is indeed stunning.

    The hands don't look as well finished as usual though? I would have assumed it was a reflection, but I can't imagine what would cause a reflection that looked like iffily brushed steel with bits of gunk left over.

  42. #142
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,081
    It's probably the lighting causing that look. You can see the edges of the sapphire crystal is also tainted with a murky yellow. The hands are brushed and also look like they are lumed which is rare in a GS. I'm sure there will be better pictures in the coming days to confirm.

  43. #143
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,357
    I hope they are not going to write 'special' on their dials. I mean, really.

  44. #144
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I hope they are not going to write 'special' on their dials. I mean, really.
    Apparently it's to denote the additional accuracy of this watch. Guaranteed to be +4/-2 a day..

  45. #145
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,357
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Apparently it's to denote the additional accuracy of this watch. Guaranteed to be +4/-2 a day..
    So inferior to a Rolex standard spec then.I'd keep quiet. The more conservative GS are, the better. And then there's your spring drive at a few seconds a month. That's genuinely special.

  46. #146
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    So inferior to a Rolex standard spec then.I'd keep quiet. The more conservative GS are, the better. And then there's your spring drive at a few seconds a month. That's genuinely special.
    They tend to claim far lower accuracy than they actually achieve though. Presumably so the buyer will only ever be pleased with the accuracy.

  47. #147
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Milton Keynes
    Posts
    1,081
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    So inferior to a Rolex standard spec then.I'd keep quiet. The more conservative GS are, the better. And then there's your spring drive at a few seconds a month. That's genuinely special.
    Agreed, the Rolex Explorer I have is +1.1s per day over the 6 weeks I've had it.. pretty good I'd say, but the spring drive is accurate to 2 seconds a month! That's special indeed.
    Last edited by KingKitega; 21st March 2018 at 19:07.

  48. #148
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Posts
    164
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKitega View Post
    Agreed, the Rolex Explorer I have is +1.1s per day over the 6 weeks I've had it.. pretty good I'd say, but the spring drive is accurate to 2 seconds a month! That's special indeed.
    My vote goes for the Spring Drive.

  49. #149
    Special or not, I don't like it.

  50. #150
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    So inferior to a Rolex standard spec then.I'd keep quiet. The more conservative GS are, the better. And then there's your spring drive at a few seconds a month. That's genuinely special.
    This. Some of the GS models come too close to aping Rolex models (see SBGX061), but I am worried that if the model pictured above is anything to go on GS are determined to 'Westernise' and in the process lose all their subtle charms (see SBGX009).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •