Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Vintage GS - 6145. New in last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one is still winning my affections (and wrist time). SBGJ201

Love that dial and the blued GMT hand

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    Anyone got or see the godzilla?
    Had the opportunity to lokk at this limited edition (100 pcs) a little while ago,

Master

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post

Fabulous photos Greg,

have to admit it didnt take me long to be missing it and those photos aren't helping

Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Fabulous photos Greg,

have to admit it didnt take me long to be missing it and those photos aren't helping
    Thank you. Fabulous mobile phone to hand hahaha

Craftsman
    SBGV205G My 1st GS, lovely champagne dial, very impressed with it.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

SBGX009 in the winter gloaming.

I picked this up on Friday, my first Grand Seiko, and I am totally smitten. The finishing is top draw and the detail on the dial is mesmerizing. I bought this to be a daily wear (grab and go super accurate and under the radar) but it's way, way too nice for that. The previous owner really looked after it and I feel compelled to do the same. I'm also seriously looking at the rest of the 9F GS range. Apart from this SBGX061 and it's other dial colours, the stand out models for me are the SBGN005 and the SBGX093. This could be an expensive year :-0

Had a look at a SBGA407 today - yowza - the online photos really undersell that blue dial!

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I picked this up on Friday, my first Grand Seiko, and I am totally smitten. The finishing is top draw and the detail on the dial is mesmerizing. I bought this to be a daily wear (grab and go super accurate and under the radar) but it's way, way too nice for that. The previous owner really looked after it and I feel compelled to do the same. I'm also seriously looking at the rest of the 9F GS range. Apart from this SBGX061 and it's other dial colours, the stand out models for me are the SBGN005 and the SBGX093. This could be an expensive year :-0
    Congratulations - I’ve had an SBGX061 and they’re great. If you’re casting the net, I would recommend you look at the low-digit Xs (SBGX001-014) as they’re truly out of this world: svelte, and a whole different world of finishing. Welcome through the looking glass :)

"A man of little significance"

I've been disgruntled with the fact it has taken over 3 weeks to get a new spring bar for my SBGH269. I made this point clear to the AD alongside a reminder I'd bought at least 5 GS from them over the past year.

The manager recognised this and said he had something that might make me feel better about previous disappointment of missing out on something.

'What's that, you've magicked up an SBGH267 or something lol???'

'Yep'.

Pics to follow later as it had to be sent off to remedy a slight blemish on the case. First impressions is it isn't as nice as the SBGH269 I have but it is a lovely watch

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    SBGA415 and 413 on hold for me in NYC. Winter or Spring?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Congratulations - I’ve had an SBGX061 and they’re great. If you’re casting the net, I would recommend you look at the low-digit Xs (SBGX001-014) as they’re truly out of this world: svelte, and a whole different world of finishing. Welcome through the looking glass :)
    Many thanks. I've had a very quick look through those references. The SBGX009 looks fantastic!

Master

They both look gorgeous to me. I’d go for the top one as the dial looks more textured. Maybe that’s just the photo though

Many thanks. I've had a very quick look through those references. The SBGX009 looks fantastic!
    It really is :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David r View Post
    They both look gorgeous to me. I’d go for the top one as the dial looks more textured. Maybe that’s just the photo though

Both those pics are the Winter version. The Spring has exactly the same pattern to the dial, but a different, lighter colour; and a silver not blued second hand.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Show us your Grand Seikos THREAD

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Both those pics are the Winter version. The Spring has exactly the same pattern to the dial, but a different, lighter colour; and a silver not blued second hand.
    No, the top one is in fact Spring although the rendition of the slightly pink dial is not that good. Note the lack of blued second hand.
    Last edited by Skyman; 20th January 2020 at 08:00.

Master
    No, the top one is in fact Spring although the rendition of the slightly pink dial is not that good. Note the lack of blued second hand.
    Doh. Right you are too. Hadn’t spotted the hand and as you say, dial looks exactly like the winter in that other pic.

Are you having them both, or is it one or the other?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^One or the other, but leaning towards the Spring.

^^^^One or the other, but leaning towards the Spring.
    I would go with Winter though they are both nice.

Loving the SBGT241!

Master
    Blog Entries

Rubbish quality pic as Tapatalk won’t up the res for me. But Godzilla is lovely

Master
    I recently sold this exact model as part of the man maths involved in buying a SBGN007, the green dialled GS 9F GMT. It’s the only watch I’ve ever missed. Not because of the SBGN007, which is superb. But I quickly realised I’d sold a classic, with a more balanced dial than the current GS only branded version of the 37mm 9F. It was owned from nearly new, super accurate (this particular one was running within +5 spy after adjustment during a battery change), and of course it’s low maintenance too. It’s the one I reached for when I came home to relax, while still wanting to enjoy something quietly perfect, and it hit a different spot to the slightly larger and heavier GMT. So when the buyer bought another rather special GS and offered it back to me, I jumped at the chance to correct my mistake. So which is better? Both. Definitely both!

Master
    Winter for me. The blue second hand adds a lot, imo, but I'd want to see how grey the dial is in real life, first.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Weasel View Post
    SBGV205G My 1st GS, lovely champagne dial, very impressed with it.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    I have the 005, the previous gen of this watch with the old logo. The champagne dial doesn't photograph as well as the darker dials and can often look a little staid but it really needs to be seen in the flesh. It's tremendously dynamic, but in a beautifully nuanced way so that it always entertains without ever being too shouty.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I recently sold this exact model as part of the man maths involved in buying a SBGN007, the green dialled GS 9F GMT. It’s the only watch I’ve ever missed. Not because of the SBGN007, which is superb. But I quickly realised I’d sold a classic, with a more balanced dial than the current GS only branded version of the 37mm 9F. It was owned from nearly new, super accurate (this particular one was running within +5 spy after adjustment during a battery change), and of course it’s low maintenance too. It’s the one I reached for when I came home to relax, while still wanting to enjoy something quietly perfect, and it hit a different spot to the slightly larger and heavier GMT. So when the buyer bought another rather special GS and offered it back to me, I jumped at the chance to correct my mistake. So which is better? Both. Definitely both!
    Fantastic story and great to hear you are reunited again! I don't expect you to remember but I just missed out on your SBGX061 when it was on SC. I was gutted but thankfully this model came up again and, through a fortuitous series of events, I was able to get it. As I say, it's way better than I expected and it's a good job you didn't sell yours to me cos I'm not sure I'd be able to let it go.

I agree with everything you say regarding the piece. I too much prefer the Seiko branding on the dial that gives it balance. Once you start researching the 9F movement it's difficult not to get swept away with it and the 50 year service interval really does make this a low maintenance purchase - astonishing tech! I'm a bit of a timing freak and I always check my watches against my atomic 5610 G-Shock for accuracy. As expected, my SBGX hasn't deviated from perfect since I set it on 17th but on Sunday night I noticed that it was about half of a second out against the G-Shock. The reason was that the G-Shock hadn't updated to the atomic clock signal since 2am so I performed an update and once again both were in perfect sync. I've never known accuracy like it. The finishing on the dial indices and hands are amazing and the dial itself ranging from inky black to a chocolate grey in certain light. This watch has very subtle hidden depths imo.

I did intend to use the SBGX as a daily wear but it's too nice for that and I'd like to keep it in the same excellent condition as the previous owner did so, like you, I reach for it around the house and at the end of the day. This treatment is usually reserved for my 2018 BLNR but I haven't even looked at it since I got the SBGX. That is praise indeed.

One other thing, the old criticism that you will take a massive hit by buying a Grand Seiko may or may not still be the case for brand new models but it's certainly not the case for used models. I've been tracking them for a while now and if you buy them at the right money used, they certainly won't lose much if anything which makes them pretty shrewd buying if that's a concern to people.

I'm quite sure another GS will be on the cards for me at some point.

Master
    ...the dial itself ranging from inky black to a chocolate grey in certain light. This watch has very subtle hidden depths imo.
    I like it best in the evening, when it really comes alive. That black dial suddenly becomes an amazingly deep and glossy black, quite unlike other black watches I've owned. Agreed on the hidden depths. It's unassuming at first, but like all GS has many moods that reveal themselves in different lighting.

One other thing, the old criticism that you will take a massive hit by buying a Grand Seiko may or may not still be the case for brand new models but it's certainly not the case for used models. I've been tracking them for a while now and if you buy them at the right money used, they certainly won't lose much if anything which makes them pretty shrewd buying if that's a concern to people.
    TBH, when I foolishly sold this watch - and you nearly bought it - I had priced it far too low, remembering one that went for a similar amount a while back. The long queue of potential buyers was a clue! These Seiko branded ones are actually holding up very well since they were discontinued. Clearly there are Seiko fans out there who like the original logo and agree about the more balanced dial. The 'logo at the bottom' thing reminds me a little of the original Royal Oak!

I'm quite sure another GS will be on the cards for me at some point.
    I don't doubt it, they are seriously addictive. While I currently have these two, a couple of others have come and gone.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 20th January 2020 at 15:16.

My two precious's...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post

SBGN007 is fantastic though :D

Last edited by S.L; 21st January 2020 at 09:56.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperVM View Post
    SBGN007 is fantastic though :D
    It does look superb. I was initially very taken by the SBGN005 but the more I think about it, the more I dislike the fact that the designers have clearly taken key details from the Explorer 2. Similarly, the other GS model I am drawn to, the SBGX093, is clearly inspired by the Milgauss and I'm starting to dislike that connection too. This SBGN007 is very much it's own design and all the better for it. I think my next GS will have to be free from any such obvious Swiss brand design influences.

Always seem to come back to owning a GS.

Got this delivered this morning form an AD and can't really fault it. Saw one on TZ a few months back and fell for it. Absolutely, fantastic watch. Well done Seiko.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kippax; 31st January 2020 at 12:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post

Got this delivered this morning form an AD and can't really fault it. Saw one on TZ a few months back and fell for it. Absolutely, fantastic watch. Well done Seiko.

Agreed, it does look very well indeed.

Wonderful watches. That Winter dial is so knurled and organic looking. Beautiful!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianwong View Post
    Wonderful watches. That Winter dial is so knurled and organic looking. Beautiful!
    Just confirmed my order for the Spring - upper pic - to collect in NYC next month. Hopefully can add Godzilla to that.

Just confirmed my order for the Spring - upper pic - to collect in NYC next month. Hopefully can add Godzilla to that.
    They missed a trick allowing them to be picked up out of season.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post

Congratulations!

What has been your experience with the SBGA407 so far? I ordered mine on Christmas Eve and am waiting for a March delivery.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Pick this up after a WTB, and very happy to have one again. One of the earliest GS designs, and still a classic, I think.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Pick this up after a WTB, and very happy to have one again. One of the earliest GS designs, and still a classic, I think.

Lovely watch Walt. I'll have to try one of these one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post

Best GS ever, IMO

Agreed, it does look very well indeed.
    It is a model that no picture does justice to - has to be seen in person to really get it - absolutely amazing.

Master
    Blog Entries

Very nice. Do you think the GMT hand is heat-blued or painted?

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Very nice. Do you think the GMT hand is heat-blued or painted?
    I've actually no idea. I'd better consult "The Google"

EDIT:
    Google now consulted found me a Timeless Luxury Watches review of the SBGJ001 vs. the JLC Master Hometime with a line about the GS reading thus...

"being heat blued and receiving a matching blue GMT logo at 6:00.....One of the distinguishing features of a blued hand or marker, as opposed to one that is painted blue, is that it actually looks black in some lighting. Here, for instance, the top facet appears black, but the soft, sloping edges reflect light from different angles, giving off a brilliant blue"

so I'll buy that for a dollar !!
    Last edited by reggie747; 3rd February 2020 at 20:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    Congratulations!

What has been your experience with the SBGA407 so far? I ordered mine on Christmas Eve and am waiting for a March delivery.

BW,
    Chi Kai

It's a great watch, like all Seikos they are not very photogenic however you can sometimes get the perfect picture. The dial is sublime, the movement is incredible and the watch is so comfortable with the leather strap/clasp. Just a smart looking watch that is just different.

Master
    For the record, just found these old photos of a long gone 9F SBGX085...

Just in..... immediate thoughts: very well executed overall. It’s just so well finished. Perfect size.