closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Grand Seikos THREAD

Master
    Hey all,

Just received a new custom made leather strap for my GS and i think it is a belter!

Just need to attach the GS pin buckle to it now.

Cheers
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    Cracking watch SL, love these and keeping an eye out for one.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Still hoping they release this in 40mm. Great looking watch

New strap for my SBGK005.

Something I appreciate about GS is how their deployant clasps can also be used as a pin buckle, which works better with this strap.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Rocket Man; 26th July 2020 at 15:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post

Something I appreciate about GS is how their deployant clasps can also be used as a pin buckle, which works better with this strap.

Wow that’s a lovely watch, stunning dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What strap is that please? Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Wearing my boring old Snowflake today - it’s had a fair bit of use and wear/tear over the past two years, and if anything I think it looks better and better as time goes by.

It’s really phenomenally accurate, too - currently running at +1 second per MONTH when kept wound and worn in rotation. Very impressive indeed.

Anyway, unexciting photos follow.

I don’t think it’s boring, it’s an understated classic.

I also have a Snowflake, though mine gains about ten seconds a month (see the BST thread). I’ve had two Spring Drives in the past (an MM600 and a GS Diver) and over a period of several weeks they were bang on, I couldn’t tell whether they were gaining or losing.

Quote Originally Posted by PawG View Post
    What strap is that please? Looks great!

It's from The Strap Tailor, light grey suede

SBGK005 Mt. Iwate dial for the win!
    That is a stunning dial!

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    It's from The Strap Tailor, light grey suede

I also have a few straps from David. He is great! Very high quality to price ratio. And a lovely guy to boot!

I have a denim blue suede one for the Sky Flake coming from him soon.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Journeyman
    Just went through the entire thread, some lovely watches. Thinking of buying my first grand seiko, hard to pick only one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigmac View Post
    Just went through the entire thread, some lovely watches. Thinking of buying my first grand seiko, hard to pick only one!
    First post here, welcome! Good effort going through the whole thread. No doubt you have some ideas for inspiration!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PreacherCain View Post
    Wearing my boring old Snowflake today - it’s had a fair bit of use and wear/tear over the past two years, and if anything I think it looks better and better as time goes by.

It’s really phenomenally accurate, too - currently running at +1 second per MONTH when kept wound and worn in rotation. Very impressive indeed.

Anyway, unexciting photos follow.
    Nothing boring about a snowflake, here's mine:

Mine is running about +1 per week at the moment, 1 a month like yours is amazing. Spec is something like 15 a month isn't it?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    First post here, welcome! Good effort going through the whole thread. No doubt you have some ideas for inspiration!
    Thanks!

Yeah I have a fair idea already of a few I would like but there's not much coherence to it.... Hibeats, spring drives, GMT, non GMT.... A bit all over the place.

I've tried to buy on chrono 24, have never used it before and finding it very frustrating. I have "bought" one watch, after they confirmed the watch was in stock I transferred the money, to be told that the watch is not in stock and will be some time in September... So I asked for my money back... OK fine, but I've since tried to buy 3 other watches (all different sellers but with common location) and same thing, watch advertised as available and delivery date within a few days, but when you ask, its not available at all....

Is it a bit unreasonable to expect people to spend like 5k and the seller doesn't even have the products, and clearly sources it from somewhere, on a slow boat from Asia presumably? I wouldn't mind paying a small deposit and balance on dispatch.

Anyway, by the time I find a seller who had a watch I'll probably have changed my mind!!

Journeyman
    Ps, at the moment I think I have it narrowed down to the SBGH281G, but haven't seen one in person and I'm unsure as it doesn't appear to have the intricate dials that many other models have (snowflake, or Mt iwate stuff), I'm also not sure if it's a tiny bit brash or loud, and how it'll age....

Or the SBGE211G. But I'm not mad about the power reserve (but understand I have to get over that if I want to buy a spring drive), also worried it could be slightly bulky on the arm, and my travelling days are over I think (I mean from work perspective, I was a frequent flyer type but nowadays it's one family holiday a year sort of thing, so absolutely no need for a GMT, but like that model purely for aesthetic reasons)

SBGX115

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusty View Post
    Nothing boring about a snowflake, here's mine:

Mine is running about +1 per week at the moment, 1 a month like yours is amazing. Spec is something like 15 a month isn't it?
    What reference is this please? Really love the dial

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Pic from yesterday

Such a stunning dial on this one!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Such a stunning dial on this one!
    Wow indeed, how this is polished. Unbelievable. Also the gold GS do it for me

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by rutger View Post
    What reference is this please? Really love the dial
    Just a standard Snowflake - SBGA211G.

Same as PreacherCain above, who I think has done a better job capturing the dial.

Journeyman
    Any of you guys/girls experience with buying Seiko in Japan? For example on chrono 24, or maybe any other platform?

Craftsman
    My Sky Flake on a blue suede strap from David The Strap Tailor! Cannot recommend him enough!

Really makes the watch “pop”!!

BW,
    Chi Kai

Master

Show us your Grand Seikos THREAD

Another of David’’s straps, this time adorning my SBGR251.

Last edited by lughugger; 11th August 2020 at 19:53.

SBGP015 - fiendishly hard to photograph and changes colour like a chameleon.
    Last edited by DMC102; 11th August 2020 at 22:30.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctam View Post
    My Sky Flake on a blue suede strap from David The Strap Tailor! Cannot recommend him enough!

Really makes the watch “pop”!!

BW,
    Chi Kai

This is coooooollll. I want it

Journeyman
    Hi all,

Fairly new on the forum and starting to get really interested in the snowflake.

If it would be your choice, what’s the best one to start with?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hi all,

Fairly new on the forum and starting to get really interested in the snowflake.

If it would be your choice, what’s the best one to start with?

How about the one you like, since you’ll be wearing it inflight? Just an idea.

Master
    Blog Entries
    SBGX115
    I sold mine, bought the black version and sold that. I wish I had kept them!

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    This is coooooollll. I want it

It is a very cool piece. Very pleased with it! Versatile- can go more dressy with a darker croc strap or a bit more casual with a suede like here. You should go see it in person.

BW,
    Chi Kai

Quote Originally Posted by DMC102 View Post
    SBGP015 - fiendishly hard to photograph and changes colour like a chameleon.
    Beautiful. I have never been into Seiko but that has certainly got my head turned!

Master
    Just arrived from Ippo...

Journeyman
    I just caught up on the last page or two of this thread, and I must say, there's not one GS here that I wouldn't be happy to wear. Lots of really classy pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Just arrived from Ippo...

Very nice Benny. SBGV243?

Master
    Certainly is. I’m a bit slow off the mark and didn’t even know this model existed until about four weeks ago when I was looking to buy an SBGN003 and did some further research. I think it’s going to be my perfect daily watch - Accurate, sensible size, easy to read and doesn’t need to be set after wearing something else. Just debating whether I need the bracelet or not

Journeyman
    Any suggestions for a strap? I'm thinking a light grey /taupe or a tan /honey colour?

20200814_112356 by B M, on Flickr

Any suggestions for a strap? I'm thinking a light grey /taupe or a tan /honey colour?

20200814_112356 by B M, on Flickr
    Beautiful dial...what's the ref please?

Thank you!!

Great choice. Capped seconds hand, great dial, 44GS case shape which is the best, plus Spring Drive of course! I'm only deterred by the very dark blue looking mostly like black and I have a black dial GS.

Love the SBGA375!

How shiny do you find those polished lugs?

SBGX115
    Love these, have been looking for one for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Great choice. Capped seconds hand, great dial, 44GS case shape which is the best, plus Spring Drive of course! I'm only deterred by the very dark blue looking mostly like black and I have a black dial GS.
    Yeah I can understand that alright. I decided a few years ago that I wanted a GS, but have wavered between different models for a long time and could never really settle on one, so just bought this in the end as a sort of versatile watch that can be worn most of the time.

I considered the SBGH281 but not sure it'll age well. Also considered the sbge201 but I think it's probably too big for my wrist. Finally, considered the SBGH273, but was working out quite expensive, that one seems to have a nice blue dial if that's what you are after

Journeyman
    Love the SBGA375!

How shiny do you find those polished lugs?

I only have it a few days so maybe I'll change my mind, but lugs aren't noticeably shiny, the whole watch is quite shiny, the hour markers on the dial especially. So I'd say overall it's quite shiny to the extent that the lugs don't seem to draw my attention

I really like that blue dial. At least from some videos on Youtube it seems to vary quite dramatically based on lighting, angle etc., from almost black to a very intense, deep blue. The problem with blue dial watches (of which I have a few) is that strap options are limited, as blue tends to clash with other colours. Have you tried this one on a black strap?

I'd imagine it would be impossible to find a matching blue strap given that blue will clash with non-matching blues and no single shade of blue will match this. Except in very rare cases where I manage to find a perfectly matching blue, I tend to put mine on brown leather, or for tool watches, grey or khaki Natos also work quite well - but not for this! Those complement the blue nicely, but with a very informal look.

I know I want a GS, but still trying to decide on the specific model. Ideally, I'd like something I could wear as a formal dress watch on a black leather strap if needed. I don't want to buy a nice dedicated dress watch, as it's not something I need very often. Nor do I want my formal dress watch to be one of the least nice watches in my collection (as is the case now). I really like the look of this dial, but suspect black or white may work better in terms of dressing-up.

I really, really want a SBGH267 but there aren't many around and there's no way that would work on a black strap. So I'm wondering if the SBGA375G might be a good compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Beautiful, I keep looking at the godzilla which I'll never be happy with parting with that amount of cash for, but this could be a good alternative.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    I really like that blue dial. At least from some videos on Youtube it seems to vary quite dramatically based on lighting, angle etc., from almost black to a very intense, deep blue. The problem with blue dial watches (of which I have a few) is that strap options are limited, as blue tends to clash with other colours. Have you tried this one on a black strap?

I'd imagine it would be impossible to find a matching blue strap given that blue will clash with non-matching blues and no single shade of blue will match this. Except in very rare cases where I manage to find a perfectly matching blue, I tend to put mine on brown leather, or for tool watches, grey or khaki Natos also work quite well - but not for this! Those complement the blue nicely, but with a very informal look.

I know I want a GS, but still trying to decide on the specific model. Ideally, I'd like something I could wear as a formal dress watch on a black leather strap if needed. I don't want to buy a nice dedicated dress watch, as it's not something I need very often. Nor do I want my formal dress watch to be one of the least nice watches in my collection (as is the case now). I really like the look of this dial, but suspect black or white may work better in terms of dressing-up.

I really, really want a SBGH267 but there aren't many around and there's no way that would work on a black strap. So I'm wondering if the SBGA375G might be a good compromise.
    Sorry, missed this.

I think I'd describe the watch as close to black most of the time, certainly indoors. When the light hits it directly it is a dark blue.

I only have the watch a week today, bought it new, haven't tried it on any straps yet. I've no 19mm straps lying around.

Not planning to try it on black, and not really gonna try go for the dress watch look, as much as I like the look of dress watches, they are the ones I wear least, I've (unfortunately all bought new and lost a relative fortune) had omega devilles and seiko presages, nice ones with enamel dials etc, but all have sat in the press for months on end before getting the chop. My job is suited and booted every day too so a dress watch makes sense, and I love the look of them, but in practice never really want to wear them. Not sure why.

Agree re blue not matching, not gonna try.

Yeah I'm between brown and grey at the moment but can't decide. Maybe better to get 2 cheap calf ones and try them both out for a few weeks before committing to a more expensive one. The brown strap almost reduces the watch to casual /blue suit brown shoes sort of thing? Whereas the grey is a bit more versatile I guess? I've seen a few dark grey alligator straps that are almost black looking, and equally some much more vibrant grey and some suede grey that look more interesting.

After a week by the way the watch is "out" by one second, which seems remarkable and I'd regard some of that one second as within the tolerances /reflexes of my setting the time/pressing the crown in on the mark

Yeah I'm between brown and grey at the moment but can't decide. Maybe better to get 2 cheap calf ones and try them both out for a few weeks before committing to a more expensive one. The brown strap almost reduces the watch to casual /blue suit brown shoes sort of thing? Whereas the grey is a bit more versatile I guess? I've seen a few dark grey alligator straps that are almost black looking, and equally some much more vibrant grey and some suede grey that look more interesting.
    Sounds about right. Dark grey suede sounds interesting, I haven't tried that. One of my very few dress* watches is an Orient Bambino with a blue dial. I have it on a Hisch genuine alligator strap that cost nearly as much as the watch. I rarely wear any other leather straps nowadays, because they look great, are super comfortable and seem to last much longer than calf leather (with the possible exception of Toshi straps which I believe will still be wearable when we're all driving around Mad Max style after the apocalypse). I only ever buy them when they go on sale though, usually around Black Friday.

Anyway, that Orient has a blue dial and is on a brown strap. That combination is very much the smart casual look you describe. I too rarely wear a dress watch and have infrequent call for black tie wear, so the appeal of GS is that many, like this model in particular, are quite sporty and versatile when worn on its bracelet, but can easily turn very formal when put on a strap. It's not a watch I'd be inclined to leave in a safe 364 days of the year, even if I only put it on a strap once a year.

* That particular watch is open heart, so it's debatable whether it's truly a dress watch, but that point is not especially relevant here.

SBGH257