closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Grand Seikos THREAD

SBGH257

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    took a long time to find a rubber strap that worked but I think I found it...
    Can I ask which strap that is? Looks a great combo with the GS!

Quote Originally Posted by phubbard View Post
    This one continues to monopolize my wrist. Less than 1s gained in six plus months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gorgeous. Please let me know if you ever feel like flipping that bad boy.

Quote Originally Posted by S.L View Post
    SBGH257

Fantastic watch and Limited to 500 pieces. I Love mine.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Quartz diver on flieger leather. Yet I like the results.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phubbard View Post
    Quartz diver on flieger leather. Yet I like the results.

That’s the dear old 117 quartz, discontinued before it was ever officially offered in the UK. I put mine on a black rubber strap; another TZer has it these days.
    Wonder if the new range of quartz divers will be offered in the UK....

There's a new range of quartz GS divers?

Master
    A 117 quartz for sale now on over on WUS

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Wonder if the new range of quartz divers will be offered in the UK....
    Peter, it's Japan only so far.

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    See post 449 above.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    https://omicronwatch.jp/?orderby=pri...uct_cat=quartz

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman

This isn’t mine, this is one I tried on in a shop in Leeds. It really is the one I want for a purchase I have planned next month though, much more than anything else I’ve considered. £5500 new and that’s probably double my budget.

It seems like there are an awful lot of GS experts here, any advice that isn’t ‘save up some more’? Any secret repository of used GS’s that you can point me to?

Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    Thanks. They look pretty large...

Quote Originally Posted by Ellgal View Post

This isn’t mine, this is one I tried on in a shop in Leeds. It really is the one I want for a purchase I have planned next month though, much more than anything else I’ve considered. £5500 new and that’s probably double my budget.

It seems like there are an awful lot of GS experts here, any advice that isn’t ‘save up some more’? Any secret repository of used GS’s that you can point me to?

Wait it out and buy one on here when you've been around long enough to qualify and you'll be at least 50% below the price you've quoted.

Lume shot

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellgal View Post

Have you considered the SBGN005? The 9F movements are pretty special and the budget much more amenable.

(Removed double post)
    Last edited by RVFIO; 29th June 2019 at 11:37.

(Removed double post)
    Last edited by RVFIO; 29th June 2019 at 11:36.

Show us your Grand Seikos THREAD

Got my first last week, absolutely loving it so far
    Last edited by RVFIO; 28th June 2019 at 23:57.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JackW View Post
    1968 Grand Seiko 6146-8000:

How does the finishing on the vintage models compare with current offerings?

Now that is a thing of beauty (post above)

Only GS I own

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Wyvern971; 13th July 2019 at 13:23.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Having quite a hard time getting the colours of the dial.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Having quite a hard time getting the colours of the dial.
    Just been through your recent posts to see what else you've said about this. Do I remember right that you've been fairly GS-sceptical up to now? If so, what of your previous thoughts have been softened? And do m/any remain?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Just been through your recent posts to see what else you've said about this. Do I remember right that you've been fairly GS-sceptical up to now? If so, what of your previous thoughts have been softened? And do m/any remain?
    I've been really GS sceptical in the past. Handled a couple of models and found them very pedestrian. I suspect this may be down to my taste for sports bezels on reflection.
    I was after a non Rolex / less radar pinging watch for work as I do feel like an absolute target at times. Tried a couple of swiss offerings and they weren't Rolex so I didnt settle. Then really wanted to try the gmt as I'd clocked it and lit up a bit when ltf was first selling so tracked down its new owner. Hey presto.

I recant what I've previously said about finishing. Its bloody good and a lot more detailed than Rolex, particularly around the markers and dial. The bezel movement is lovely also and the seconds sweep is mesmerising. It's a cracking watch.
    The only thing I'm not movable on is that it's not as completely comfortable as Rolex to wear. You know it's on.
    I reckon I've climbed down at least 60%
    Last edited by verv; 16th July 2019 at 22:12.

Blog Entries
    I've been really GS sceptical in the past. Handled a couple of models and found them very pedestrian. I suspect this may be down to my taste for sports bezels on reflection.
    I was after a non Rolex / less radar pinging watch for work as I do feel like an absolute target at times. Tried a couple of swiss offerings and they weren't Rolex so I didnt settle. Then really wanted to try the gmt as I'd clocked it and lit up a bit when ltf was first selling so tracked down its new owner. Hey presto.

I recant what I've previously said about finishing. Its bloody good and a lot more detailed than Rolex, particularly around the markers and dial. The bezel movement is lovely also and the seconds sweep is mesmerising. It's a cracking watch.
    The only thing I'm not movable on is that it's not as completely comfortable as Rolex to wear. You know it's on.
    I reckon I've climbed down at least 60%
    Is that the current special/limited edition version? It looks good.

I've got a SBGE001 and I know what you mean about knowing that you're wearing it: The watch head is very top heavy compared to the bracelet in my opinion and the head widens out from where it touches the wrist. Despite this, I really like it.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Is that the current special/limited edition version? It looks good.

I've got a SBGE001 and I know what you mean about knowing that you're wearing it: The watch head is very top heavy compared to the bracelet in my opinion and the head widens out from where it touches the wrist. Despite this, I really like it.
    Hey Mark, good to see you!
    Yes its the SGBE245, you've nailed my thoughts about fit exactly. Im debating switching to rubber but don't like the supplied orange. do you know if they do a black or navy variant?

Master

Not a fan of Grand Seiko sports designs. Too big,too clunky, generally a bit crude looking. And, desperate for growth, GS are putting-out more of this stuff. To my eyes, it’s a bit of a mess.
    Compare with the great sixties-inspired design that make-up their Classics.
    That’s how to design a great watch. As the company tries to develop, it’s lost all sense of where it should be going.
    Pity.
    Incidentally, of all the many watches I have owned, that simple classic GS has attracted most complements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th July 2019 at 10:37.

Craftsman
    Not a fan of Grand Seiko sports designs. Too big,too clunky, generally a bit crude looking. And, desperate for growth, GS are putting-out more of this stuff. To my eyes, it’s a bit of a mess.
    That’s how to design a great watch. As the company tries to develop, it’s lost all sense of where it should be going.
    Pity.
    Incidentally, of all the many watches I have owned, that simple classic GS has attracted most complements.

That is exactly the style of GS I’m fancying. I just like the clean, classic look of it. I like all of the dial colours available really.

Lovely watch

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Pity.

Funny how tastes differ isn't it.
    That looks remarkably like the one I dismissed as being pedestrian and not remotely interesting.

Pity.

Is that an original bracelet? Fitting looks awful.
    I am sure it is well made but to me it looks very plain, ordinary and boring.

Craftsman
    Funny how tastes differ isn't it.
    That looks remarkably like the one I dismissed as being pedestrian and not remotely interesting.
    Well I suppose it would be a dull world if we all liked the same!

Saying that I do like your GMT a lot as well.

I find as I get older I’m starting to appreciate understated watches a bit more.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Is that an original bracelet? Fitting looks awful.
    I am sure it is well made but to me it looks very plain, ordinary and boring.
    I prefer a strap, and always have. But that watch is now being worn by my partner, and she likes bracelets. I’ve never been a fan of Seiko bracelets. As for looks.....you either get it or you don’t. In the flesh, the sheer quality of the design and finish is really striking. I’d guess it will still sell long after the more ‘obvious’ sports designs have been forgotten. After all, it’s already lasted fifty years.
    Less is more.....
    Last edited by paskinner; 17th July 2019 at 22:25.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I prefer a strap, and always have. But that watch is being worn by my partner, and she likes bracelets. I’ve never been a fan of Seiko bracelets. As for looks.....you either get it or you don’t. In the flesh, the sheer quality of the design and finish is really striking. I’d guess it will still sell long after the more ‘obvious’ sports designs have been forgotten. After all, it’s already lasted fifty years.
    Less is more.....
    What on earth are you on about?
    Seiko have been making "obvious" sports watches since the mid 60's.
    Considering that they've been going strong for over 50 years, along with the rest of the sports market I don't think that being "forgotten" is anything for you to worry about in your lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The only GS I have left

Master

Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post

The only GS I have left
    But notice how similar it is to this....both designs stemming from the same vision.
    And, again.
    The coherence of these designs is striking, where is the coherence of design in the sports ranges?
    It feels as if there are two design teams at war with each other.

Last edited by paskinner; 17th July 2019 at 23:31.

Last edited by Der Amf; 18th July 2019 at 07:15. Reason: Boring rubbish

Blog Entries
    Hey Mark, good to see you!
    Yes its the SGBE245, you've nailed my thoughts about fit exactly. Im debating switching to rubber but don't like the supplied orange. do you know if they do a black or navy variant?
    Thanks. Nice to see you too. :-)

Don't know about rubber straps for it. I'm really a bracelet sort of person usually, I think. Nevertheless, I can well imagine that it would feel like a better fit, so to speak, on rubber. Come to think of it, a generic black rubber strap would probably look fine on it to my mind's eye.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    But notice how similar it is to this....both designs stemming from the same vision.
    And, again.
    The coherence of these designs is striking, where is the coherence of design in the sports ranges?
    It feels as if there are two design teams at war with each other.
    You can waffle about coherence, but you've supplied 3 images of plain 3 hand watches. Where did you expect the "coherence" to go wrong exactly? Can you find an example of plain a 3 hand date watch that exhibits the lack of coherence that you're implying exists with other models?

As RAGEN has already noted, would ill fitting end links count as a lack of coherence, its certainly visible and disruptive?

One thing that appears to be a recurring theme with you is whichever watch you happen to have at the time is always presented as the zenith of creation.

Local time set.

Classic 3 handers are versatile and comfortable and allow for quiet enjoyment of their finer qualities. They are arguably optimal everyday watches. But my inner watch nerd sometimes needs more. Something to be worn with gusto, some thumping sculpted magnificence regardless of wrist size, dress sense or other self-imposed reservation. Something with perhaps a column wheel or at least a functional bezel. But something which I like for what it is and suits my mood. God forbid turning old and wearing beige slacks everyday.

Taken earlier today, my SBGA003.

SBGA003

If, against my will, I was obliged to pick one of these two watches as an example of Seiko losing their way, it wouldn't be the GMT

Master
    [QUOTE=Der Amf;5152271]

‘’If, against my will, I was obliged to pick one of these two watches as an example of Seiko losing their way, it wouldn't be the GMT’’

My truly awful photography doesn’t help.
    As for the ‘sports’ model, Grand Seiko has produced far better looking GMTs, some with wonderful dials and a casual elegance.
    And why the weirdly convoluted sentence..? .’’I prefer the gmt’ would have worked.
    Last edited by paskinner; 18th July 2019 at 22:16.

And why the weirdly convoluted sentence..? .’’I prefer the gmt’ would have worked.
    It was neither weird nor convoluted, though bravo to your subconscious for trying to pretend it can't spot the point I was making.

You can waffle about coherence, but you've supplied 3 images of plain 3 hand watches. Where did you expect the "coherence" to go wrong exactly? Can you find an example of plain a 3 hand date watch that exhibits the lack of coherence that you're implying exists with other models?

As RAGEN has already noted, would ill fitting end links count as a lack of coherence, its certainly visible and disruptive?

One thing that appears to be a recurring theme with you is whichever watch you happen to have at the time is always presented as the zenith of creation.

I have the same watch. It must be the angle of the photograph as the bracelet on mine fits perfectly.
    I like the simplicity of design and unless you’ve actually handled one it’s difficult to appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by ODP View Post
    I have the same watch. It must be the angle of the photograph as the bracelet on mine fits perfectly.
    I like the simplicity of design and unless you’ve actually handled one it’s difficult to appreciate.
    They also bevel the edges of the end links which makes it look like there's a gap when there isn't, simply due to the light