closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many watches is enough?

Journeyman

How many watches is enough?

I like many on here have more than one watch, but how many is enough? My current favourite is my Omega Seamaster 300M and that getting the most wrist time. Others I have range from a cheap Quartz Casio to a Tudor Black Bay 36. But I keep looking at more watches. Where do I and others draw the line, with me if has to be a financial thing. Of late it's Grand Seiko watches that have caught my eye, and I keep checking the prices out on different websites. Not long having bought the Tudor, I tell myself I don't need another new watch, but then again if I come across a good condition used one at the right price, I may be able to talk myself into another purchase.

So how many is enough?

PhilipJI

I seem to have settled on 5.

All Rolex though so not very diverse.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I seem to have settled on 5.

All Rolex though so not very diverse.
    Nice choice.

I'm so terribly pleased you asked.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

You can never have enough watches and will never be happy. It's an endless cycle. Get out while you can!

The recognised equation

I think it's the same as with bikes isn't it?

n+1

Where n is the number currently owned.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    You can never have enough watches and will never be happy. It's an endless cycle. Get out while you can!
    But do we want to get out if we enjoy it?

Master
    For me the number is undefined but heavily regulated by financial restrictions and sanity advice from the wife.

Craftsman
    I seem to go in phases.

I like having five or six.

When I get to six I think I have too many,so I move some on then I think I would like some more and so the cycle goes.

I have to say, I'm considering selling all but three (maybe four) of mine - I have around 20 currently and some don't see the light of day for months at a time...

Look out SC!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJI View Post
    But do we want to get out if we enjoy it?
    Well I tried to warn you. Good luck!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    For me the number is undefined but heavily regulated by financial restrictions and sanity advice from the wife.
    For most it has to be finances, oh and the wife.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Well I tried to warn you. Good luck!
    When you get to my age you live for the moment.

Craftsman
    Strutjack is correct, the answer is N ±1

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRS2113 View Post
    I have to say, I'm considering selling all but three (maybe four) of mine - I have around 20 currently and some don't see the light of day for months at a time...

Look out SC!
    I know that can happen when you have to many, and I hate to think I've spent a fair amount of cash on a watch and its not being used. It's probably a good thing I'm to mew to look at SC.

Master
    n+1

Which apparently is too short a message.

Craftsman
    It really depends, I had over 20 at some stage, as I got older and my taste got more expansive I racionalized it to less , today I have around 8 and I am happy with it.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murilloinf View Post
    It really depends, I had over 20 at some stage, as I got older and my taste got more expansive I racionalized it to less , today I have around 8 and I am happy with it.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    For many years of my life I only had one and was happy with that, I wonder what changed.

Master
    I think my answer is LOADS, I'm probably circa 300 and yes, one PP Nautilus would replace the lot from a value perspective.

Master
    I only have 47. My psychosis is nothing compared to uktotty...... ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    I think my answer is LOADS, I'm probably circa 300 and yes, one PP Nautilus would replace the lot from a value perspective.

Some must never see the light of day.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipJI View Post
    Some must never see the light of day.
    Very true, I do have favourites and I also like to rotate stuff.
    I think I have purchased 5 new watches in the last 2 weeks, including Omega, Cartier, Junghans and SevenFriday, so a very eclectic taste!
    I am very good at buying, not so great at selling them! Should have a but of a clear out really!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Very true, I do have favourites and I also like to rotate stuff.
    I think I have purchased 5 new watches in the last 2 weeks, including Omega, Cartier, Junghans and SevenFriday, so a very eclectic taste!
    I am very good at buying, not so great at selling them! Should have a but of a clear out really!
    It's often hard to let things go, you'll get one out that you've not worn for ages and think of selling it, next thing its a keeper and its on your wrist.

I think I would be very happy with 4 or 5... I would want to keep my Sub for most days, have a non Rolex for when it’s best not to wear an obviously expensive watch (and for variety... a Seiko SKX or SLA), a Daytona 116520 at some point if I ‘do well’, and a modest, automatic vintage dress watch. Probably a vintage Tudor. Actually, I’d want to own a chronograph before I spend time saving up for a Daytona, so make that five (a Sinn or Breguet Type XX, perhaps.)

Money no object, I’d have an original platinum Datograph, a Daytona 6263 or 6265, a pre-Daytona, that new WG Daytona on the Oysterflex, a Laurent Ferrier, numerous exotic dial Day-Dates or Datejusts etc. But that’s unlikely, to put it mildly.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    I think I would be very happy with 4 or 5... I would want to keep my Sub for most days, have a non Rolex for when it’s best not to wear an obviously expensive watch (and for variety... a Seiko SKX or SLA), a Daytona 116520 at some point if I ‘do well’, and a modest, automatic vintage dress watch. Probably a vintage Tudor. Actually, I’d want to own a chronograph before I spend time saving up for a Daytona, so make that five (a Sinn or Breguet Type XX, perhaps.)

Money no object, I’d have an original platinum Datograph, a Daytona 6263 or 6265, a pre-Daytona, that new WG Daytona on the Oysterflex, a Laurent Ferrier, numerous exotic dial Day-Dates or Datejusts etc. But that’s unlikely, to put it mildly.
    You like me would like to have a few different brands in your collection, though I see you like Rolex quite a lot.

Craftsman
    I could not have a collection of rarely worn watches, so something around ten is probably an optimal total. I currently have seven (an AP, three GOs, a Cartier, a Stowa, and the Rolex beater (every collection needs one!)). So, perhaps three to go -- possibly a Zenith or a JLC, a de Bethune or a Jaquet Droz, and maybe another Stowa for fun.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    I could not have a collection of rarely worn watches, so something around ten is probably an optimal total. I currently have seven (an AP, three GOs, a Cartier, a Stowa, and the Rolex beater (every collection needs one!)). So, perhaps three to go -- possibly a Zenith or a JLC, a de Bethune or a Jaquet Droz, and maybe another Stowa for fun.
    I hope you soon get the ones you want and complete your collection.

1 more than you currently have, of course!

M

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    1 more than you currently have, of course!

M
    Brilliant reply.

Craftsman
    I have three niec and two bitters seem to work well for me.

Journeyman
    Currently on 5. I wish I was satisfied.

Without question i would have more watches if it was not for wife.

The ones I tend to like are too expensive for me to own 5 or 6 and I don't want to own a load of cheap tatty ones, so I stick with a max of 3.

My ideal 3 would be a Seiko/Sinn diver as a beater, a steel Rolex DateJust for daily wear, and something special like an AP, Lange, PP or gold Rolex.

Currently just have the DateJust!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagraboy View Post
    The ones I tend to like are too expensive for me to own 5 or 6 and I don't want to own a load of cheap tatty ones, so I stick with a max of 3.

My ideal 3 would be a Seiko/Sinn diver as a beater, a steel Rolex DateJust for daily wear, and something special like an AP, Lange, PP or gold Rolex.

Currently just have the DateJust!
    A friend has a Blue dial Datejust with the fluted bezel and I love it.

I'm trying to settle on five; one chronograph, one daily beater, one diver, one dress watch, and my birth year watch (which obviously is not going to leave). I'm not there yet, but getting close through a process of selling and upgrading.

Currently on 6 but can't see it staying that way for long, lol!

The answer is of course 1.

Craftsman
    Always more than you currently own.

How could one ever have too many watches? I had 25 watches. Now I am down to 15 as the funds are limited and the watches I want are getting more expensive. Believe me, every time I open the boxes, I feel like I don't have enough watches.

Quote Originally Posted by wild84 View Post
    Always more than you currently own.

How could one ever have too many watches? I had 25 watches. Now I am down to 15 as the funds are limited and the watches I want are getting more expensive. Believe me, every time I open the boxes, I feel like I don't have enough watches.
    Not in my experience. More than ten would not make me happy. I used to have eight, and I am trying to make that five (or less).

Quote Originally Posted by johant View Post
    Not in my experience. More than ten would not make me happy. I used to have eight, and I am trying to make that five (or less).
    I found that having 4 meant I wasn't wearing one of them enough to justify owning it. 3 just seems to work for me.

Craftsman
    If you would force me, I could reduce my watches to 6 maybe. I guess 3 would be set already and it would be very very hard to chose the three other ones. However there is 2 watches at the moment that I really want, but haven't had the chance to get a good deal yet, so when I get it... it just continues. ;)

Master
    Three....but just to be safe, make it six. Then sell them and repeat......

Journeyman
    I'm trying to settle on five; one chronograph, one daily beater, one diver, one dress watch, and my birth year watch (which obviously is not going to leave). I'm not there yet, but getting close through a process of selling and upgrading.
    One for every occasion, that sounds just about right.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by wild84 View Post
    If you would force me, I could reduce my watches to 6 maybe. I guess 3 would be set already and it would be very very hard to chose the three other ones. However there is 2 watches at the moment that I really want, but haven't had the chance to get a good deal yet, so when I get it... it just continues. ;)
    What are the new ones that you really want?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodo View Post
    The answer is of course 1.
    Can you be a WIS with one ??

Master
    I could really live with two. A Rolex Submariner 16610 and a Casio Rangeman.

12-15 seems a reasonable number to me.

Master
    After getting a bit silly (15, amateur I know) I decided to buy a box that holds 8 watches and that would be my limit. It currently holds 8 watches and it's testing my resolve.

Apprentice
    As soon as my collection got above 3 my enjoyment of ALL the watches started to diminish. So for me 3 is the optimum number I think.

I'm in the process of building a collection for the the first time. I've identified the watches I want to form this collection:

SKX
    Sarb033
    Sarb017
    G-Shock
    BlackBay 36
    Seamaster 300m

I've got the first four, and am now saving for number 5 which does of course represent a jump in price. I suspect I may be tempted by one or two others along the way - for example I like the though of getting a good condition 60's/70's Timex as a dress watch, and I do like the Hamilton field watches.

I would say, if you're going down the lines of having a different watch for different situations ie a beater, everyday, sport, dress and one or two spares/luxury indulgences then somewhere between 6 and 8 would be perfect.

I've seen some guys on YouTube doing their SOTC and they've got like 40 watches including 8 different types of Seiko diver! Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with it if that's what you love and choose to spend your money on but there will be so many great (and pricey) watches seeing virtually no wrist action. Personally I like the idea of a well thought out collection where quality of consideration presides over sheer quantity.

Just my two pennies.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    I'm in the process of building a collection for the the first time. I've identified the watches I want to form this collection:

SKX
    Sarb033
    Sarb017
    G-Shock
    BlackBay 36
    Seamaster 300m

I've got the first four, and am now saving for number 5 which does of course represent a jump in price. I suspect I may be tempted by one or two others along the way - for example I like the though of getting a good condition 60's/70's Timex as a dress watch, and I do like the Hamilton field watches.

I would say, if you're going down the lines of having a different watch for different situations ie a beater, everyday, sport, dress and one or two spares/luxury indulgences then somewhere between 6 and 8 would be perfect.

I've seen some guys on YouTube doing their SOTC and they've got like 40 watches including 8 different types of Seiko diver! Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with it if that's what you love and choose to spend your money on but there will be so many great (and pricey) watches seeing virtually no wrist action. Personally I like the idea of a well thought out collection where quality of consideration presides over sheer quantity.

Just my two pennies.
    I suppose if they are into Seikos and divers people have a multiple of that brand and type of watch. I have the last two on your list, I think the Omega is fantastic, and the quality is superb. The Tudor BB 36 is a more simple design but the quality is there too. A couple of weeks ago I was in a Rolex AD to have the strap changed on the Tudor, I was wearing it on the NATO and I don't think that did it any favours. I've never used the bracelet it came with. While I was there I tried on a Rolex Oyster Perpetual, after taking it off I held it side by side to the Tudor, and it didn't outshine it at all. But saying that, as I seem to be getting more and more interested in a Grand Seiko, I'm wondering if I should have bought one of those instead of the Tudor.

Realistically I think three would be enough: a beater, a good daily and something special for occasional / dress wear.

Unfortunately I’ve convinced myself that I also need a vintage watch, a chronograph, a GMT...

I’ve now into the teens and that’s excluding the old/vintage watches I have picked up at markets/car boot sales and restored/repaired.

I really need to reduce the collection but I can’t seem to bring myself to do so.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app