closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex AD keeping guarantee card

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Although correct, it’s moot.

The AD offers to sell to customer A with conditions, customer A either agrees or disagrees. If customer A disagrees the AD withdraws the offer to sell to customer A, and holds out about 10s and sells to customer B who agreed to the terms
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    More the fool them/you.
    How so?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Because you've stopped breathing????

Seriously I would do as suggested and put a note in the box with your receipt.

Better still don't drop dead until you've got your card back!

As I said earlier I really don't agree with warranty cards being kept. I've been selling Rolex watches for nearly 40 years now and there has never been an issue like this until the last year or two.

Perhaps this is the present day effect of the internet and watch forums like this - the demand for these watches has been hyped out of all proportion, and of course the Grey Market has the advantage of being able to sell online.

Gone are the days when a client could come into the shop and choose from a full selection of steel Professional watches and leave happy with their watch on their wrist, and for an old chap like me that's a great pity.
    I agree with this, pop in to your local AD, get a watch or choice for your 40th etc on the actual day. Have a beer/ coffee based beverage whilst the bracelet is sized and the stickers are removed. It’s then in your wrist and on your way sporting nice new watch. Your old one will be in the box with all the other gumf and a few freebies or gizzits chucked in.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Gone are the days when a client could come into the shop and choose from a full selection of steel Professional watches and leave happy with their watch on their wrist, and for an old chap like me that's a great pity.
    Ahh I remember that too in 1996 for a Sub-Date, 2010 for an EXP-II, and in 2015 for an EXP-39mm

Simpler times

Journeyman
    I personally find it frustrating that there is is no unification between ADs as various ADs have this policy others do not. Perhaps they could do with one of these threads just for themselves to come up with a unified response to flippers! If they all did this I think we wouldn't have an issue, as it's market practice and we would live with it.

Some comments above about it's up to the client and the fact that they can walk away from purchasing from the AD if they are not happy. Yes they can and do (as I experienced for a PP 5167), but it's not nice to walk away from a watch that you do want to own for a little while, perhaps not the full 12 months. With the PP I did also go back with a counter offer asking the AD to keep if for around 6 months, but he wanted to stick with 12months.

The counter argument of if you want to own it shouldn't be a problem - again your correct but I think someone added the comment earlier, if you do need to liquidate for emergency reasons you have to go back to the AD and 'beg' and share sensitive or very personal circumstances for your warranty card to back

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    My only disagreement with Oracle's post above might be the claim that this is a recent phenomenon.

I remember trying to source a simple 16610 steel Date Submariner in the early 1990s when there was a couple of months' wait. The Sea-Dweller 16600 was often similiarly hard to find or worse, while the steel Daytona was already facing years of waiting (albeit often accelerated if also making major diamond purchases).

H

You're right Haywood. It was a bit of a typo as I had meant to say "nearly full selection"

But it's true, isn't it?

I spend more time now having to apologise to customers for not being able to supply the watch they want.

Master
    I'm still struggling to understand what it achieves in any case. If people are prepared to spend thousands on a new Rolex without the warranty card, why wouldn't the purchaser of a 'flipped' watch? The seller will have a receipt to prove purchase so that's not an issue.

Craftsman

Cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I'm still struggling to understand what it achieves in any case. If people are prepared to spend thousands on a new Rolex without the warranty card, why wouldn't the purchaser of a 'flipped' watch? The seller will have a receipt to prove purchase so that's not an issue.
    In today’s market the warranty card carries a premium mark up for flippers and dealers, which is why so many buyers feel the need to have it immediately.

Personally I blame the consumer buying ott prices at grey market, if people just simply did not pay there would be no over inflated grey prices?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Personally I blame the consumer buying ott prices at grey market, if people just simply did not pay there would be no over inflated grey prices?
    This is what I think everytime I am looking on fleabay.

Someone must be paying silly money which for any Rolex other than the Daytona is crazy.

Journeyman
    The inflated price in the grey market only exists because RRP is too low. Increase the RRP sufficiently and the problem would go away. Whether or not Rolex sports models would then offer anything close to good intrinsic value is a slightly different question...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    If you want to sell it then sell it, I don’t agree with the withholding card phenomenon one little bit, but it’s been widely reported as happening, it doesn’t prevent you selling it, you and the buyer can go to the dealer together to verify they hold it, or maybe ask the AD to confirm in writing they are holding the card, after the 12 months forward it on, of course there are situations where this might be awkward to do but it would be good to demonstrate to the AD the tactic can be worked around.
    You might lose your AD “relationship” though so depends if you want to stay with the brand

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    You might lose your AD “relationship” though so depends if you want to stay with the brand
    True, I hadn’t considered that to be honest, but maybe if you had that ‘relationship’ they may not hold the card in the first place as it seems to be discretionary and not a Rolex HQ dictat.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Angry Rolex Guarantee card

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    True, I hadn’t considered that to be honest, but maybe if you had that ‘relationship’ they may not hold the card in the first place as it seems to be discretionary and not a Rolex HQ dictat.
    I have spent over 18K with the dealer and have a relationship, or so I thought. Even then they did not mention anything about not including the Guarantee card on a Rolex sub, they actually took the card and the tag, off the watch when they went round the back to re-size it. If you look at this https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...lex-watch.html, it clearly states the contract you are entering in to buying a Rolex. There are, no if's or but's, the watch, box, re-sizing and Guarantee which is also your proof of authenticity is a package that you are buying. I have discussed with Rolex UK, they have no policy on this that they openly admit to, all they will say is they are supportive of any effort by AD to reduce the number of grey market watches. Should the AD want to go down the route of removing the Guarantee Card, they have to get your express agreement, or they have mis-sold the item to you and this is a criminal offence for which they can get prosecuted. On the other hand if they tell you and you agree to it, it will be a conditional sale and it is legal. So the choice, is yours and the AD dilemma is, do they tell you and possibly risk a no-deal or they remove the Guarantee card from the box without you knowing. One thing that Rolex did admitted to is, that by removing the tag and Guarantee card they are devaluing your purchase ! This could open the retailer up, to action in small claims court or at least a dispute resolution. In short Rolex does not care or they would force the AD's to put up a sign or something similar to tell you it is a conditional purchase. In my case I may see the AD in court.

Rolex Guarantee card

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Hi all
    Can the AD lawfully hold onto the guarantee card for 12 months when you buy a watch even if you say no ?
    If you say NO, they will not sell to you. As on a previous response please look at the contract you are entering to https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...lex-watch.html
    On the other hand if they tell you in advance, you have a choice of not buying the item, this called a contract of sale. By them not telling you and removing the Guarantee , they are in breach of Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 , which is a criminal offence.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwolf View Post
    Which is what the grey market would love too as it would make life alot easier
    RIAC

Master
    When I thought about it, I realised that I wouldn't buy off a person or used dealer who didn't have the card. You have no way of knowing whether the card will ever be provided to you, and neither does a used watch dealer...because he has to rely on the original seller.
    Thus I saw a new 'Pepsi' offered for about 16k...with no cards, which would be provided later, when the AD released them. Unless you are a personal friend of the seller, there's no way you can be sure you will ever get them. Neither can a 'grey' dealer. Way too risky. I wouldn't touch such a deal. Leaving aside the price!
    Last edited by paskinner; 10th August 2018 at 18:22.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    When I thought about it, I realised that I wouldn't buy off a person or used dealer who didn't have the card. You have no way of knowing whether the card will ever be provided to you, and neither does a used watch dealer...because he has to rely on the original seller.
    Thus I saw a new 'Pepsi' offered for about 16k...with no cards, which would be provided later, when the AD released them. Unless you are a personal friend of the seller, there's no way you can be sure you will ever get them. Neither can a 'grey' dealer. Way too risky. I wouldn't touch such a deal. Leaving aside the price!
    My understanding of grey dealers is that they have an arrangement with ADs whereby the AD sells them watches in order to meet sales targets.
    In these cases the watches are supplied with box and papers. In many cases you can even have your name on the card and the warranty activated in your name.

Quote Originally Posted by W0rrybeads View Post
    I have spent over 18K with the dealer and have a relationship, or so I thought. Even then they did not mention anything about not including the Guarantee card on a Rolex sub, they actually took the card and the tag, off the watch when they went round the back to re-size it. If you look at this https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...lex-watch.html, it clearly states the contract you are entering in to buying a Rolex. There are, no if's or but's, the watch, box, re-sizing and Guarantee which is also your proof of authenticity is a package that you are buying. I have discussed with Rolex UK, they have no policy on this that they openly admit to, all they will say is they are supportive of any effort by AD to reduce the number of grey market watches. Should the AD want to go down the route of removing the Guarantee Card, they have to get your express agreement, or they have mis-sold the item to you and this is a criminal offence for which they can get prosecuted. On the other hand if they tell you and you agree to it, it will be a conditional sale and it is legal. So the choice, is yours and the AD dilemma is, do they tell you and possibly risk a no-deal or they remove the Guarantee card from the box without you knowing. One thing that Rolex did admitted to is, that by removing the tag and Guarantee card they are devaluing your purchase ! This could open the retailer up, to action in small claims court or at least a dispute resolution. In short Rolex does not care or they would force the AD's to put up a sign or something similar to tell you it is a conditional purchase. In my case I may see the AD in court.
    If you say NO, they will not sell to you. As on a previous response please look at the contract you are entering to https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...lex-watch.html
    On the other hand if they tell you in advance, you have a choice of not buying the item, this called a contract of sale. By them not telling you and removing the Guarantee , they are in breach of Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 , which is a criminal offence.
    Welcome to the forum

Not so easy with a private seller but if a dealer breaks any contract use legal processes to recoup losses.

But as our absent 'friend' would say, 'Chaps, there'd be no way to tell if the card was authentic anyway, so what's the point?'

Master
    2 things:

1. Rolex issued a letter to AD's advising they should keep the guarantee cards.

2. Let us know when you go to court, we could do with a good laugh!

Buying a shirt in Tesco (not me of course) they ask 'do you want the hanger'? Don't think it's part of the package.

Hang-tag different?

Master
    I have spent over 18K with the dealer and have a relationship, or so I thought.
    £18k is a lot of money to me but I don't think it gets you close to being on the VIP list.

I was in my local AD (not a big city/affluent area) a couple of years ago. He said they'd sold a platinum Daytona to someone on Christmas Eve buying on a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Not this topic AGAIN. For goodness sake. Couldn’t a zombie thread be resurrected instead?
    Surely this should be discussed over at TRF... getting pretty boring all this talk about tags and stickers ffs... this is Watch Talk not facebook crap.

Only an issue to those looking to cash in - surely.

Anyone who wants to keep and enjoy the watch would presumably be happy to go and collect a year later.

Too much hot air about this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Recent SC sale suggests it makes no odds whether the card is included or to follow.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Recent SC sale suggests it makes no odds whether the card is included or to follow.
    Inclined to agree that buying off someone of good standing on here is less risky than buying from a complete stranger on e-bay who will have forgotten about you 10 mins after the sale.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    £18k is a lot of money to me but I don't think it gets you close to being on the VIP list.
    It's not. H&I in Edinburgh asked me why they should put me ahead of the guy who bought 7 Pateks in 7 years.

Anyone who wants to keep and enjoy the watch would presumably be happy to go and collect a year later.

Too much hot air about this subject.
    Pretty simple really as above if you still want to cash it in wait a year then sell it won't make any difference in re sale after a year !!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    It's not. H&I in Edinburgh asked me why they should put me ahead of the guy who bought 7 Pateks in 7 years.
    Can’t argue with that.

2 things:

1. Rolex issued a letter to AD's advising they should keep the guarantee cards.

2. Let us know when you go to court, we could do with a good laugh!
    In that case both Rolex and AD are in breach of advertising standards and trade standards, because of this https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...lex-watch.html, it says at the time of purchase, not 12 months after .....
    As mentioned Rolex did not tell me this is their policy , probably because they know they will be held for breach. BTW small claims court process is very easy. In the mean time Trading Standards are looking in to this, to see if indeed there is a case. Based on their findings I take the next steps, would'nt want any one to burst a vessel laughing do we ?

Inclined to agree that buying off someone of good standing on here is less risky than buying from a complete stranger on e-bay who will have forgotten about you 10 mins after the sale.
    Simple market dynamics will mean, if all new professional watches come to market, less their Guarantee Card, this is the norm and the market adjusts accordingly. This is an idiots cure for an idiotic situation created by a bunch of idiots !

Master
    In that case both Rolex and AD are in breach of advertising standards and trade standards, because of this https://www.rolex.com/rolex-dealers/...lex-watch.html, it says at the time of purchase, not 12 months after .....
    As mentioned Rolex did not tell me this is their policy , probably because they know they will be held for breach. BTW small claims court process is very easy. In the mean time Trading Standards are looking in to this, to see if indeed there is a case. Based on their findings I take the next steps, would'nt want any one to burst a vessel laughing do we ?
    1. Suggest you read your own link. It says they 'can' supply, not will.
    2. That dead horse was flogged into glue and dog-meat in a previous thread. You're wasting your time but 'crack on', dude!

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post

I was in my local AD (not a big city/affluent area) a couple of years ago. He said they'd sold a platinum Daytona to someone on Christmas Eve buying on a whim.
    Footballers :-) cant compete with them! having said that what a great investment Platinum Prices are for ever increasing, so are Daytona's.

1. Suggest you read your own link. It says they 'can' supply, not will.
    2. That dead horse was flogged into glue and dog-meat in a previous thread. You're wasting your time but 'crack on', dude!
    No dude , no word about supply, it says; Only your Official Rolex Retailer can place a guarantee card inside the box that certifies your watch’s authenticity. All new Rolex watches have an international 5-year guarantee, issued by Rolex itself, that will be completed and dated by your Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase and registered with Rolex.

read the whole sentence , it will serve you better in the long run.

Hence Rolex's own comment to me, removing the card and the Rolex tag, devalues your purchase. Rolex can not admit to the letter, because it says All Rolex watches and not some and it is issued by Rolex and only dated by the retailer.

I am pretty relaxed, I let law of the land, i.e. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made and https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/75, do their bits first, before making people laugh or cry.

Master
    Simple market dynamics will mean, if all new professional watches come to market, less their Guarantee Card, this is the norm and the market adjusts accordingly. This is an idiots cure for an idiotic situation created by a bunch of idiots !
    The market may 'adjust' by not buying them. A watch without service and guarantee documents is crippled on the market. The demand will be for year-old watches with documents. This scheme is intended to restrict immediate 'flipping', and it will. I'd never hand-over thousands of pounds in exchange for a vague promise.
    Last edited by paskinner; 11th August 2018 at 09:11.

No dude , no word about supply, it says; Only your Official Rolex Retailer can place a guarantee card inside the box that certifies your watch’s authenticity. All new Rolex watches have an international 5-year guarantee, issued by Rolex itself, that will be completed and dated by your Official Rolex Retailer at the time of purchase and registered with Rolex.

read the whole sentence , it will serve you better in the long run.

Hence Rolex's own comment to me, removing the card and the Rolex tag, devalues your purchase. Rolex can not admit to the letter, because it says All Rolex watches and not some and it is issued by Rolex and only dated by the retailer.

I am pretty relaxed, I let law of the land, i.e. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made and https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/75, do their bits first, before making people laugh or cry.
    Whatever Rolex may say in that link, you’re not buying from them, you’re buying from an AD and they can do whatever they wish.

Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    If it stops the watches going to the grey dealers at inflated prices I am all for it. It will mean more watches for people who actually want to keep the watch not make a few quid, it wouldnt be a deal breaker for me.
    Dear all, about 90% of the watches on the grey market are not UK sourced. I have spoken to "brokers" to ask where are they sourced from? Mostly Southern and Eastern Europe, I recently bought one from a broker and it came from Greece. It has my name on the card, it was sold by an AD to the broker who was paid for his troubles and I got what I want.
    Also in Middle East you can go to a Rolex dealer and by a SS professional in mater of days, it is the white gold and platinum that is in short supply !
    For Rolex UK this is akin to chucking the baby out with the bath water. What they forget is that every market has its ups and downs and granted as an official charity they do not have share holders to answer to and there is a but, they wont be the first brand to fall from grace, if they take their customers for idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Whatever Rolex may say in that link, you’re not buying from them, you’re buying from an AD and they can do whatever they wish.
    Wrong again, I am paying the credit card company and they pay the dealer. Little me they can pick a fight with, VISA on the other hand ........

Wrong again, I am paying the credit card company and they pay the dealer. Little me they can pick a fight with, VISA on the other hand ........
    Okay, they’re buying from the AD not from Rolex.

Where else was I wrong BTW?

Thanks for joining to share your frustrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Okay, they’re buying from the AD not from Rolex.

Where else was I wrong BTW?
    Well , how much do you know about Tort ! look it up , if Rolex and AD have clouded, to harm my "economic interest", they are equally culpable, in front of a judge. You can not separate one from the other, the subtlety is "if" . The only way to find out is to test it, the AD has to supply the said letter that you are referring to under disclosure.

However all of this is academic and hypothetical unless all other steps that I mentioned previously have been exhausted. Moral of the story being if you have the money to splash out thousands of pounds on a watch that tells the same time as a 50 pound watch, you have the financial means to test it, in courts.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Thanks for joining to share your frustrations.
    My sincere apology as a newbie, not sharing frustrations but creating a record for others who may find themselves in the same predicament . It is daunting for joe public even to know where they stand or start against an AD that is not a Rolex Boutique but a multi-million pound enterprise and have a habit of trying to bully their customers.
    Forums like this are here hopefully to assist , if I am wrong tell me and I will create this record else where.

Master
    I’ll sue, justice! Courts etc, etc.

For your own health and ours calm the F down.

It is a watch, a luxury watch it’s not even vaguely important. The AD tells you the condition of sale, you either accept it or you don’t, it really is that simple.

Also, the AD owes you NOTHING, they do not take “your” warranty card, until the sale is concluded it is not yours.

Rolex are not a monopoly on watches and no one is forcing you to buy one. Get some perspective.

My sincere apology as a newbie, not sharing frustrations but creating a record for others who may find themselves in the same predicament . It is daunting for joe public even to know where they stand or start against an AD that is not a Rolex Boutique but a multi-million pound enterprise and have a habit of trying to bully their customers.
    Forums like this are here hopefully to assist , if I am wrong tell me and I will create this record else where.
    Don't worry, where Rolex watches are concerned Ally likes taking his pound of flesh...

Master
    Personally I’m looking forward to seeing how you get on with this.

Am I correct that the AD concluded the sale and you wore the watch away from their premises whilst carrying the box and that they didn’t tell you that they were retaining the Warranty Car and Swing Tag? That you found this out later?

Thanks, welcome to the forum btw

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    Personally I’m looking forward to seeing how you get on with this.

Am I correct that the AD concluded the sale and you wore the watch away from their premises whilst carrying the box and that they didn’t tell you that they were retaining the Warranty Car and Swing Tag? That you found this out later?

Thanks, welcome to the forum btw
    You are correct , went to the store , bought the watch, got the Guarantee card filled, in front of me, put it in the box, went to the back to re size the watch, took ages and my wife even commented on it, came out with the box and watch, gave it to me. Week later showed it to a friend and no guarantee card! That is when the fun started. Hence the comment that it was underhand. If I was told, I could have made an informed decision, but I was not provided with the option.

Master
    If you are actually taking action and getting this tested in court, then I wish you luck. This has been talked about to death, but as far as I am aware, it has just been talk and nothing further.

The point about not being told before purchase is wrong. In all cases I have read about, the buyer has known in advance of payment. They have then gone ahead with the deal - with that approach I would be surprised if that would stand up to any legal argument against

Master
    You are correct , went to the store , bought the watch, got the Guarantee card filled, in front of me, put it in the box, went to the back to re size the watch, took ages and my wife even commented on it, came out with the box and watch, gave it to me. Week later showed it to a friend and no guarantee card! That is when the fun started. Hence the comment that it was underhand. If I was told, I could have made an informed decision, but I was not provided with the option.
    You need to put the entire system on trial fella. All the way to the EUropean Courts. Human rights and all that.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by xdonolix View Post
    If it stops the watches going to the grey dealers at inflated prices I am all for it. It will mean more watches for people who actually want to keep the watch not make a few quid, it wouldnt be a deal breaker for me.
    I completely agree. Recently got my BLNR after 5 people above on the list insisted on the warranty card.