closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex AD keeping guarantee card

Hybrid View

Rolex AD keeping guarantee card

Hi all
    Can the AD lawfully hold onto the guarantee card for 12 months when you buy a watch even if you say no ?

Yay!

Craftsman
    Yes they can

Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    Yes they can
    Thanks Question answered

Craftsman

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Thanks Question answered
    Only confirming because a friend work for an agent and they actually kept the card after selling a black sub date.

Quote Originally Posted by Newby View Post
    Only confirming because a friend work for an agent and they actually kept the card after selling a black sub date.
    If your friend was selling coke, would that make it legal ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Don't see your point, selling coke is illegal, end of story.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Does that include the diet stuff too Alistair?

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Or you will get a reaction like if you refuse them to keep the card they would choose not to sell you the watch ... But I don't know if that's legal

Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Hi all
    Can the AD lawfully hold onto the guarantee card for 12 months when you buy a watch even if you say no ?
    Let's have the hundredth thread on the subject and find out!

I've bought three new watches (including a 126600 and a SS SkyDweller) and on none of the occasions were the cards kept by the AD.

Banned
    I recently purchased a Rolex from a local AD.
    I phoned up on the off chance to see if they had one in and was surprised to hear "yes we have"
    I was told on the phone it was someone else but they could not collect for a couple of weeks.
    I was also told if I was interested I had to collect that day no HP and the warranty card would to kept for six months.
    For me this was not a problem as I wanted the watch to keep.

Rolex

Buy an interesting watch!

lots of people buys these watches as there is a trade in them.

ADs ask to keep the cards to avoid the trade/flip.

If you are buying to trade then this is crap.

If you arent buying to trade then this is cool.

last 3 rolexes I have bought have all had the cards left with dealer to give them confidence to sell these items (that so many people want) to me.

My dealer did say 'look if you came in and said im struggling and need to sell to get some cash" then they would give you the card straight away.......but probably just not sell you anymore rare/hard to get watches.

Cheers

Journeyman
    I understand it but think it’s a cheek personally
    If Rolex or the AD don’t like the fact they are getting flipped then why don’t they act ?
    If you buy the piece surely it’s your call what you do next ?
    I for one do not like it

Quote Originally Posted by joethetoe View Post

ADs ask to keep the cards to avoid the trade/flip.

If you are buying to trade then this is crap.

If you arent buying to trade then this is cool.

last 3 rolexes I have bought have all had the cards left with dealer to give them confidence to sell these items (that so many people want) to me.

My dealer did say 'look if you came in and said im struggling and need to sell to get some cash" then they would give you the card straight away.......but probably just not sell you anymore rare/hard to get watches.

Cheers

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by d2ore View Post
    I understand it but think it’s a cheek personally
    If Rolex or the AD don’t like the fact they are getting flipped then why don’t they act ?
    If you buy the piece surely it’s your call what you do next ?
    I for one do not like it
    Me, who cares? Flip or keep. Take your chances.

Journeyman
    Sorry I don’t understand your point ?

QUOTE=Skyman;5152216]Me, who cares? Flip or keep. Take your chances.[/QUOTE]

My dealer did say 'look if you came in and said im struggling and need to sell to get some cash" then they would give you the card straight away.
    I was told likewise!

And I happen to know I jumped in front of a bloke that wouldn't accept the terms.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I was told likewise!

And I happen to know I jumped in front of a bloke that wouldn't accept the terms.
    I had a 5167, which I wanted to flip to buy a 5712, both from PP ADs. First AD had no problem releasing the Aquanaut’s certificate in order that I bought the Nautilus.

Cheers
    I travel a lot for work and go through Heathrow T5 weekly, try and buy a Sub of GMT . There are 4400 BA pilots who have all put their names down for a one or both . Yes the Rolex/watches of Switzerland guys are polite and will take your name , but after a while they tell you no chance! You telling me they will all want to use the dual time of GMT when they can get a Rolex Explorer that does the same job or even a Tag Heuer GMT ? It is a bubble that will eventually burst and go back to normal, 400 years ago was Tulips, 20 years ago , beanie baby's and today we talk Rolex. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by W0rrybeads View Post
    I travel a lot for work and go through Heathrow T5 weekly, try and buy a Sub of GMT . There are 4400 BA pilots who have all put their names down for a one or both . Yes the Rolex/watches of Switzerland guys are polite and will take your name , but after a while they tell you no chance! You telling me they will all want to use the dual time of GMT when they can get a Rolex Explorer that does the same job or even a Tag Heuer GMT ? It is a bubble that will eventually burst and go back to normal, 400 years ago was Tulips, 20 years ago , beanie baby's and today we talk Rolex. :-)
    I always kind of hope that pilots understand the principle of gravity: that what goes up must come down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by W0rrybeads View Post

BA have fewer than 4000 pilots so, even in the utterly improbable event that every single BA pilot is on the list, that is a ridiculous assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    BA have fewer than 4000 pilots so, even in the utterly improbable event that every single BA pilot is on the list, that is a ridiculous assertion.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a9015001.html

They have more, but I was just making a general point, it was said in jest.

Rolex AD keeping guarantee card

We’re always being told on here it can’t replaced.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    It's very rare, but a second warranty card can actually be produced under very special circumstances. I had one, an M12xxxx case number mid-size Datejust 178274 sold through Goldsmiths in November 2007....with both the original card and its replacement!

Haywood

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    It's very rare, but a second warranty card can actually be produced under very special circumstances. I had one, an M12xxxx case number mid-size Datejust 178274 sold through Goldsmiths in November 2007....with both the original card and its replacement!

Haywood
    Presumably a card lost by the AD could be replaced but one lost by the consumer won't.

Anyway, this scotches one of the arguments against ADs holding on to the cards!

Master
    When I thought about it, I realised that I wouldn't buy off a person or used dealer who didn't have the card. You have no way of knowing whether the card will ever be provided to you, and neither does a used watch dealer...because he has to rely on the original seller.
    Thus I saw a new 'Pepsi' offered for about 16k...with no cards, which would be provided later, when the AD released them. Unless you are a personal friend of the seller, there's no way you can be sure you will ever get them. Neither can a 'grey' dealer. Way too risky. I wouldn't touch such a deal. Leaving aside the price!
    Last edited by paskinner; 10th August 2018 at 18:22.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    When I thought about it, I realised that I wouldn't buy off a person or used dealer who didn't have the card. You have no way of knowing whether the card will ever be provided to you, and neither does a used watch dealer...because he has to rely on the original seller.
    Thus I saw a new 'Pepsi' offered for about 16k...with no cards, which would be provided later, when the AD released them. Unless you are a personal friend of the seller, there's no way you can be sure you will ever get them. Neither can a 'grey' dealer. Way too risky. I wouldn't touch such a deal. Leaving aside the price!
    My understanding of grey dealers is that they have an arrangement with ADs whereby the AD sells them watches in order to meet sales targets.
    In these cases the watches are supplied with box and papers. In many cases you can even have your name on the card and the warranty activated in your name.

Not so easy with a private seller but if a dealer breaks any contract use legal processes to recoup losses.

But as our absent 'friend' would say, 'Chaps, there'd be no way to tell if the card was authentic anyway, so what's the point?'

It almost makes me want to say you shouldn't believe everything you read on here except you might not then believe me!!

It comes from a Rolex policy document received here on 5th February.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    It almost makes me want to say you shouldn't believe everything you read on here except you might not then believe me!!

It comes from a Rolex policy document received here on 5th February.
    Yes, I believe you, it's the others!

Loads of myths and hearsay around which don't stand up to scrutiny.

Yes, I believe you, it's the others!

Loads of myths and hearsay around which don't stand up to scrutiny.
    I do have a laugh at a lot of it but I think, as I said before, it would be a huge help if Rolex actually dictated a firm policy as part of their contract with AD's.

OR stopped putting stickers on watches......

Craftsman
    Stickers who cares !

But the warranty card I would not be happy.

I am not a flipper trying to make money but it would still annoy me.

However I wouldn't miss the watch over it.

Master
    700-800k per year I believe.

Assembled by hand but mass produced by machines.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I insisted on a replacement warranty card when buying a Hulk some years ago.
    The girl filling in my details made a spelling mistake with my address. She just then crossed it out making a real mess. After a chat with the manager a replacement card was requested. It arrived a couple of weeks later.

Rubbish BS sponsored by UK Rolex dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    Rubbish BS sponsored by UK Rolex dealers.
    Profound.

What if I drop dead and the AD has my card?

How will my family know?

How will my family know?
    Place a note in the box.

(that’s the watch box, not your box)

How will my family know?

Because you've stopped breathing????

Seriously I would do as suggested and put a note in the box with your receipt.

Better still don't drop dead until you've got your card back!

As I said earlier I really don't agree with warranty cards being kept. I've been selling Rolex watches for nearly 40 years now and there has never been an issue like this until the last year or two.

Perhaps this is the present day effect of the internet and watch forums like this - the demand for these watches has been hyped out of all proportion, and of course the Grey Market has the advantage of being able to sell online.

Gone are the days when a client could come into the shop and choose from a full selection of steel Professional watches and leave happy with their watch on their wrist, and for an old chap like me that's a great pity.

Master
    My only disagreement with Oracle's post above might be the claim that this is a recent phenomenon.

I remember trying to source a simple 16610 steel Date Submariner in the early 1990s when there was a couple of months' wait. The Sea-Dweller 16600 was often similiarly hard to find or worse, while the steel Daytona was already facing years of waiting (albeit often accelerated if also making major diamond purchases).

H

If you want to sell it then sell it, I don’t agree with the withholding card phenomenon one little bit, but it’s been widely reported as happening, it doesn’t prevent you selling it, you and the buyer can go to the dealer together to verify they hold it, or maybe ask the AD to confirm in writing they are holding the card, after the 12 months forward it on, of course there are situations where this might be awkward to do but it would be good to demonstrate to the AD the tactic can be worked around.
    Cheers..
    Jase

I think the sticker issue could be a non-problem, but I still have some sports/professional models fully stickered up from around 10 years ago - in that sense I’m a collector and don’t see why I should be affected. I’ve probably influenced a huge number of Rolex (and Omega) purchases over the last twenty years, on top of buying 100’s of thousands of pounds worth of watches/jewellery from AD’s when all totaled up. But... it would be easy to dictate that stickers were simply the transportation covers for the watches and should be removed prior to purchase - that’s what used to happen.

I think the Panerai phenomenon had some little part to do with it - as everyone now wants the cardboard delivery boxes, plus all the outer and inner watch boxes. Similarly people now ask for the Rolex coffin cases, and go crazy for bezel protectors and seals and tags. Don’t get me wrong I want a full set as anyone.

To top off the issue, I can say that I haven’t bought a new Rolex in the last year. Since my local AD closed, while I was waiting for a Daytona and a Sub Date, I just don’t have any relationships with stores in Australia or the UK anymore, and no dealership left on the Isle of Man at present. Although, I don’t think Rolex is hurting from my current lack of purchases - but longer term they might, if enough former mass buyers like me decide to move away.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    If you want to sell it then sell it, I don’t agree with the withholding card phenomenon one little bit, but it’s been widely reported as happening, it doesn’t prevent you selling it, you and the buyer can go to the dealer together to verify they hold it, or maybe ask the AD to confirm in writing they are holding the card, after the 12 months forward it on, of course there are situations where this might be awkward to do but it would be good to demonstrate to the AD the tactic can be worked around.
    You might lose your AD “relationship” though so depends if you want to stay with the brand

My only disagreement with Oracle's post above might be the claim that this is a recent phenomenon.

I remember trying to source a simple 16610 steel Date Submariner in the early 1990s when there was a couple of months' wait. The Sea-Dweller 16600 was often similiarly hard to find or worse, while the steel Daytona was already facing years of waiting (albeit often accelerated if also making major diamond purchases).

H
    I remember having to wait for an Explorer II! Never mind my first Daytona. My first Sea-Dweller took around 4-6 months wait.
    It's just a matter of time...

H

You're right Haywood. It was a bit of a typo as I had meant to say "nearly full selection"

But it's true, isn't it?

I spend more time now having to apologise to customers for not being able to supply the watch they want.

Master
    I'm still struggling to understand what it achieves in any case. If people are prepared to spend thousands on a new Rolex without the warranty card, why wouldn't the purchaser of a 'flipped' watch? The seller will have a receipt to prove purchase so that's not an issue.

Master
    If you are actually taking action and getting this tested in court, then I wish you luck. This has been talked about to death, but as far as I am aware, it has just been talk and nothing further.

The point about not being told before purchase is wrong. In all cases I have read about, the buyer has known in advance of payment. They have then gone ahead with the deal - with that approach I would be surprised if that would stand up to any legal argument against