closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rolex AD keeping guarantee card

Quote Originally Posted by Buster73 View Post
    You have to volunteer the information to the customs on entry back to Britain though .

I bought a set of golf clubs back in the 90’s in Florida, I asked the question as I went through customs at Newcastle airport , firstly they were shocked I asked , secondly they asked were I’d bought them as two of them were going out to Florida a few weeks later , they charged me £16 iirc , hardly worth the paperwork and peanuts in the real scale of things.

Can’t remember the last time I saw customs officers searching someone’s cases.

I’m not condoning folk not declaring watches on re entry but can understand why folk “forget” .
    Senile?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchingyou View Post
    Post the boxes back and wear the watch. If you wish to voluntarily pay tax that is up to you
    Right answer to the question I didn’t ask.......and the tax isn’t voluntary. Once the figure becomes significant they take it seriously too.

Like I said, best not to brag about it if that’s what you do.

Here’s a hypothetical question: suppose a keen watch fan buys a hard to find Rolex watch overseas, forgets to declare it at Customs, then realises he’d prefer to sell the watch to a dealer and make a few bob. Where does the dealer (and next owner) stand regarding the unpaid tax? With current watch prices the amount of money unpaid is well over a grand, not a couple of hundred like it was in the past.

If a dealer’s offered a new unworn watch sourced outside the EU is he under obligation to ask for proof the there’s no outstanding tax/duty payment?
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 23rd December 2018 at 18:38.

Master
    You have to volunteer the information to the customs on entry back to Britain though .
    Not "volunteer" in the sense of having a choice in law. Self Assessment income tax requires you to volunteer information.

I couldn't risk it, even if I was inclined, as a conviction (however unlikely) for whatever law I might be breaking would screw me professionally.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Not "volunteer" in the sense of having a choice in law. Self Assessment income tax requires you to volunteer information.

I couldn't risk it, even if I was inclined, as a conviction (however unlikely) for whatever law I might be breaking would screw me professionally.

The lack of staff available as you enter at Newcastle airport ( which I use a fair bit during the year ) means the individual would have to seek out any customs staff on duty if any were available at all.

I accept fully that it is the responsibility of the individual bringing goods into the country to declare , I also can understand why folk are tempted to do the opposite as the controls seem so lax.

The temptation to reduce a tax liability is too much for some , in this form or other taxes.

If caught however unlikely, it would be easy to say you forgot or misunderstood and pay upon request any duty due.

I’m of the opinion if you walked through and deliberately didn’t pay , there really is no chance at all of retrospectively being caught.

It’s down to the individual to be honest , most of us are but some will be tempted by the lack of control.

That’s their choice , I wouldn’t judge anyone either way.

My conscience is clear.

The lack of staff available as you enter at Newcastle airport ( which I use a fair bit during the year ) means the individual would have to seek out any customs staff on duty if any were available at all.

I accept fully that it is the responsibility of the individual bringing goods into the country to declare , I also can understand why folk are tempted to do the opposite as the controls seem so lax.

The temptation to reduce a tax liability is too much for some , in this form or other taxes.

If caught however unlikely, it would be easy to say you forgot or misunderstood and pay upon request any duty due.

I’m of the opinion if you walked through and deliberately didn’t pay , there really is no chance at all of retrospectively being caught.

It’s down to the individual to be honest , most of us are but some will be tempted by the lack of control.

That’s their choice , I wouldn’t judge anyone either way.

My conscience is clear.
    The controls aren’t lax, they’re risk based.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

If a dealer’s offered a new unworn watch sourced outside the EU is he under obligation to ask for proof the there’s no outstanding tax/duty payment?
    Not their problem, they bought in good faith. The original owner committed a 'crime', not the buyer.

Master
    Amazed to see a couple of Rolex Sub Dates on eBay - one April this year, the other bought "4 days ago"(!) - both complete with guarantee cards. Retention is doing nothing to stop the eBay flippers but I'm amazed some dealers aren't making the effort. Perhaps even they realise it's a waste of time.

vvvvv Assuming the card with the watch is the original card.....

Master
    Very, very good warranty cards are available on ebay and gumtree. How would you tell?

As an aside, I picked up my Rolex Pepsi warranty card from my AD at the weekend after a year. Set now full but never to be sold.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Very, very good warranty cards are available on ebay and gumtree. How would you tell?

As an aside, I picked up my Rolex Pepsi warranty card from my AD at the weekend after a year. Set now full but never to be sold.
    Mr 33JS

You appear to be the ideal Rolex customer and not some flipper or moaning minny. This forum needs more like you.

Did the AD contact you or did you get in touch with them? My card isn't due until October but just wondering what the score is.

Master
    You’ve just reminded me, I’ve got a couple of cards ready for collection.....👍👍

Master
    Not seen them. I doubt anyone would go to the trouble. As I say, there are dozens of new Rolex professional models on eBay with no cards. Whether many are selling at the prices advertised is a different question!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Did the AD contact you or did you get in touch with them? My card isn't due until October but just wondering what the score is.
    I wandered in on Sunday and they got the shoe box out from a cupboard and rifled through it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Mr 33JS

You appear to be the ideal Rolex customer and not some flipper or moaning minny. This forum needs more like you.
    Cheers, Mick! Love em all...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Not seen them. I doubt anyone would go to the trouble. As I say, there are dozens of new Rolex professional models on eBay with no cards. Whether many are selling at the prices advertised is a different question!
    The ebay ones are incredible and I think would add value to any sale. But, I think they should be tracked and tortured badly for doing it!

Cheers, Mick! Love em all...
    Lol. You are Mick Never sell/Flip P’s new hero:-)

I wandered in on Sunday and they got the shoe box out from a cupboard and rifled through it!
    So you contacted them? The day of my recent watch purchase is well known to me as it was the day I had my car accident :-(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    You might find the latest Watchbox video from Tim Mosso quite stimulating. He takes a more nuanced view of the issue....and, rightly I think, stresses that watches are a poor investment. And that includes Rolex. People forget inflation, service costs, the gains offered by alternative uses of the money, and the inevitable risk that prices could fall.
    It’s a interesting perspective from , probably, the best informed media observer.
    As Mick P keeps his watches, this is all academic anyway.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    So you contacted them? The day of my recent watch purchase is well known to me as it was the day I had my car accident :-(
    No. Cold call!

Master
    Brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    You might find the latest Watchbox video from Tim Mosso quite stimulating. He takes a more nuanced view of the issue....and, rightly I think, stresses that watches are a poor investment. And that includes Rolex. People forget inflation, service costs, the gains offered by alternative uses of the money, and the inevitable risk that prices could fall.
    It’s a interesting perspective from , probably, the best informed media observer.
    As Mick P keeps his watches, this is all academic anyway.
    Watches are not a poor investment. They are just not an investment, IMO. But this has been done to death.
    I actually like Mick P’s philosophy. Only wish he would state it a little less often:-)

Master
    Hi Rajen

Yes you are right, I have been stating the you know what philosophy rather a lot and will mention it a lot less from now on. Repetition is the curse of TZ-UK.

Master

Yes, very good, fake warranty cards are available and with numbers / details to the buyer's exact specification for about £30.

There are ways to tell a real card :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Hi Rajen

Yes you are right, I have been stating the you know what philosophy rather a lot and will mention it a lot less from now on. Repetition is the curse of TZ-UK.
    I knew you would say that

My AD is keeping Daytona cards for two years!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by awright101 View Post
    My AD is keeping Daytona cards for two years!
    I’m sure many people would be quite happy to put up with that just to be able to have the watch :-)

One of the AD’s I’ve dealt regularly with has never held back a warranty card from me, but did say in conversation the other day that Rolex, whilst not enforcing it, are recommending it as ‘good practice’. I wonder if all AD’s will go that way soon, if not already, on the SS professional sports models.

I’m still to read of a post where anyone has challenged this with an AD and won/lost. There was a thread on here where someone was taking the AD to court and would keep us updated . . . . .

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^An update on that would indeed be interesting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    There won't be an update because the guy was talking twaddle. There is no legal offence in an AD retaining the card as long as he has made it clear when the purchase was made.

Getting wound up is easy, fighting a court battle even when you have right on your side is mega hassle and legally he never had a leg to stand on.

If you're not buying to sell on what's the problem?
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Exactly. People making a fuss saying not complete set are just kidding themselves. Deep inside they know exactly what the real reason is. ££££££££££

They should be glad they can't flip it right away with what's happened the last few years. More £££££££

Watches are not a poor investment. They are just not an investment, IMO. But this has been done to death.
    I actually like Mick P’s philosophy. Only wish he would state it a little less often:-)
    "The only way to make a small fortune from watch collecting, is to start off with a large fortune" I was once told.....
    Last edited by wigdog; 23rd June 2019 at 11:09.

33JS, why two 43mm SDs? One for the safe (the one with tag attached) and one to wear? How do you find they wear compared to the 16600? I've got the 16600 but sold the SDc as found it a bit tall for the size.

Master
    Maybe have been askeddownthread, but has anyone seen this behaviour with overseas AD's?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Exactly, I picked up a 126710BLRO from an AD in Cambridge last week, although they are now keeping the card for 12 months I have no intension of sullying my relationship with them by flipping the watch quickly for profit. They have genuinely looked after me supplying a Daytona and Nautilus in the past that I never thought I would get the call for. I though we were watch enthusiasts and collectors on here, if you really didn't gel with a watch then it would still be easy to move it on here and not lose out financially if its something that is hard to obtain, warranty card or not.

(Although I do understand some people just don't like the principle of the issue)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wigdog View Post
    "The only way to make a small fortune from watch collecting, is to start off with a large fortune" I was once told.....
    I think this quote originates with Rob Walker and Motor Racing not watch collecting.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    I think this quote originates with Rob Walker and Motor Racing not watch collecting.

I think it's said about a lot of things! Did Branson say it about owning an airline?

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    I’m sure many people would be quite happy to put up with that just to be able to have the watch :-)

One of the AD’s I’ve dealt regularly with has never held back a warranty card from me, but did say in conversation the other day that Rolex, whilst not enforcing it, are recommending it as ‘good practice’. I wonder if all AD’s will go that way soon, if not already, on the SS professional sports models.

I’m still to read of a post where anyone has challenged this with an AD and won/lost. There was a thread on here where someone was taking the AD to court and would keep us updated . . . . .
    I was in discussion with another member a few weeks ago regarding a sought after model he was thinking of selling. The AD had his warranty card (bought about 6 months ago).
    He wanted to sell to fund some house renovations or something like that (ie genuine reason....)
    I suggested that he tell the AD that that was the situation and ask them to give him the card.
    He told me that they did so without much fuss.

I understand why they retain cards but don’t agree it’s appropriate. However, on this occasion at least, they seem to have taken a sensible view when asked by a customer to “release” it “early”.
    But imagine if you are in financial straits for some unexpected reason and need to raise cash quickly but the dealer refuses to give you the card?!?
    Not a pleasant situation.

OK it’s a bit of an urban myth but Rolex have always been considered to be an “emergency ticket home” as their value is so well recognised. Doesn’t fit with this that you’re denied your gtee card (which also provides confirmation of authenticity).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    I was in discussion with another member a few weeks ago regarding a sought after model he was thinking of selling. The AD had his warranty card (bought about 6 months ago).
    He wanted to sell to fund some house renovations or something like that (ie genuine reason....)
    I suggested that he tell the AD that that was the situation and ask them to give him the card.
    He told me that they did so without much fuss.

I understand why they retain cards but don’t agree it’s appropriate. However, on this occasion at least, they seem to have taken a sensible view when asked by a customer to “release” it “early”.
    But imagine if you are in financial straits for some unexpected reason and need to raise cash quickly but the dealer refuses to give you the card?!?
    Not a pleasant situation.

OK it’s a bit of an urban myth but Rolex have always been considered to be an “emergency ticket home” as their value is so well recognised. Doesn’t fit with this that you’re denied your gtee card (which also provides confirmation of authenticity).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    So really he couldn't afford the watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nickg View Post
    Loads of new Rolex watches are listed on eBay without guarantee cards. (Whether that stops them selling, who knows.) Someone said WF won't buy a watch without the card. Is that right? Surprising if so.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jukeboxs View Post
    33JS, why two 43mm SDs? One for the safe (the one with tag attached) and one to wear? How do you find they wear compared to the 16600? I've got the 16600 but sold the SDc as found it a bit tall for the size.
    Sorry, just saw this!

It is, 1 to smash around - cost £300 in repairs already - and 1 pristine to keep. The red writing will go at some point...

I've tried the 16600 but found the clasp to be the drawback, so I see the SDc as essentially the perfect Rolex. I've a fully stickered one incoming this month.

I tend to swap between the SD43 and the Pepsi...

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    So here is an update, the law is an ass :-)

If there is no conditional sale /contract of sale established, you owe everything that comes in the box.
    In this case/my case
    Step 1) You need to go through many exchanges with AD, to establish the facts.(3 months) In my case the AD refused to provide the contract of sale.
    Step 2) You need to go to arbitration, you need to find the arbitration path as your AD may be only member of a single ADR. In my case retail ADR paid for by the retailer ! (3 Months)
    Step3) you need to establish the value of the loss that you have suffered (the difference between a secondhand Rolex without tags and papers and one with everything) which is about 10%
    Step4) Apply to small claims court for a date and you get a date for over six months later !
    Most of the above was done under my legal cover of Home and Contents Insurance, one would think they knew what they were doing.

By this time the anniversary of the watch was over .
    In my case the AD lost everything and had to get replacement card, but no tags.

There is a huge lesson, you are either desperate and put up with the crap, or you switch to another AD, in my case latter, in the last 12 months they have gained nearly 40K of my business (2 x Cartier) 1x Omega DSOM and my favourite Yacht Master Bi-Metal

As to the other thread, very interesting how do you get brand new sports watches with all the papers and protective covers on auction sites and other channels ? Through an AD who is desperate to offload the huge numbers of Date Just's that need offloading. It is no longer enough to discount them to the point of no margin to secondary resellers, you need to sweeten the deal with a professional model or two.
    Lets get the AD's on the forum to rubbish this :-)

Actually I'm not a Rolex AD, but I do think you're more than just a bit sad.

Master
    Actually I'm not a Rolex AD, but I do think you're more than just a bit sad.
    I don't. I think it's good that there's some resistance to, or attempt to clarify the legality of, some of the AD antics which seem to exercise people. That I wouldn't be bothered myself doesn't stop me appreciating someone else's efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by W0rrybeads View Post
    So here is an update, the law is an ass :-)

If there is no conditional sale /contract of sale established, you owe everything that comes in the box.
    In this case/my case
    In your case it didn’t come in the box so you’re not owed it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Even if AD are in the wrong I guess they wont be getting you watches in the future :)

I get a card for BLRO next month. Hardly been a big deal unless I wanted to flip.

Craftsman

There isn’t a problem , if you sold the watch on and in the rare chance it needed warranty work the watch could be just sent back through the original purchaser.

Hardly rocket science, and quite frankly makes a mockery of withholding the card in the first place.

I know of one grey dealer who buys watches and pays a balance of £500 when the warranty card is produced later.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    In your case it didn’t come in the box so you’re not owed it.
    Sad, not really , I dont like crap from any retailer, including the Rolex AD's that have a little man syndrome.

Another AD in disguise flashed out :-)

So really he couldn't afford the watch.
    People's situations can change in an instant - so being able to afford something today doesn't necessarily mean that you couldn't afford it if you decide, or are forced, to do something else with the funds later on.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by W0rrybeads View Post
    Sad, not really , I dont like crap from any retailer, including the Rolex AD's that have a little man syndrome.

Another AD in disguise flashed out :-)
    Didn't you know, most of us are really AD's just having fun on here.
    It's just a matter of time...