closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40-42mm dive watch for beach holiday?

Journeyman

40-42mm dive watch for beach holiday?

Hi all,

I’m looking for a dive watch, something with a bit of ‘fun’ to it, perhaps a bright colour or something? I’d like it to be suitable for swimming in the sea and diving (without breathing apparatus, so not too deep).

I own a Damasko DA37 and don’t want to take it in the sea as I have seen that it doesn’t fair well in saltwater due to the hardened steel case being prone to rust.

Automatic with a budget of £500-£800 approx. I’m looking at the Glycine Combat Sub, but wondering if there’s something with a bit more ‘oomph’, though I’d still like it to be reasonably versatile. My wrists are 6.75 inches so don’t want anything overly bulky, any recommendations?

Cheers,
    Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PMPM View Post
    Hi all,

I’m looking for a dive watch, something with a bit of ‘fun’ to it, perhaps a bright colour or something? I’d like it to be suitable for swimming in the sea and diving (without breathing apparatus, so not too deep).

I own a Damasko DA37 and don’t want to take it in the sea as I have seen that it doesn’t fair well in saltwater due to the hardened steel case being prone to rust.

Automatic with a budget of £500-£800 approx. I’m looking at the Glycine Combat Sub, but wondering if there’s something with a bit more ‘oomph’, though I’d still like it to be reasonably versatile. My wrists are 6.75 inches so don’t want anything overly bulky, any recommendations?

Cheers,
    Paul
    Sounds like Squale territory. I’ve always liked Certina though as well. ISO certified think they do Blue Dialed and you can get them with rubber straps that always casual up a watch. Other choice of course is a Seiko and you can spend any money on them from £200 to £6000. They have options at all pricing levels

I was in the same boat and went for a Longines Hydroconquest. You can also get 15% off using the code shown below (ends in 6 days).
    I think this is a fantastic watch and great value proposition.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Victorinox have some lovely divers and there's another that I can't remember the name but it's within your budget.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Oris 65 40mm. Could get a nice one within your budget (used) and is quite slim.

Quote Originally Posted by 2012 View Post
    Oris 65 40mm. Could get a nice one within your budget (used) and is quite slim.
    Agree with the Oris 40 or 42 versions. Or save a load of cash and go for a SKX007.

Craftsman
    Squale 1512 blue

Blog Entries
    Helson shark diver?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by super swin View Post
    Helson shark diver?
    I handled a Heldon Bronzo / Brass model in a Fellows auction showing. Thought it was a beast of a watch for the price. Very good option

Master
    Not sure about the size - think it's around 42-44mm but it wears comfortably - but something like this Seiko SRP PADI Turtle ought to fit the bill:

Another vote for the Longines HC from me, I had a blue one for 3 years and wore it almost every day. Great looking watch from a great Swiss brand for sensible money. Tough too, my Dad managed to drop mine from about 4ft onto a tiled floor and it survived with a minor mark to the bezel.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandandanman View Post
    Squale 1512 blue
    I’m not keen not the blue unfortunately, the limited vintage ones that page & Cooper had, oh my god they were beautiful, all gone now though :((

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by super swin View Post
    Helson shark diver?
    Looks slightly too brutish for me. I liked the limited edition they had where the indices were hollow squares, I find myself in this situation a lot - the watches I really like a all bloody limited edition and all gone!

I would love a Helios diver, but probably got more chance of getting struck by lightening than being able to buy one.

Thanks for the responses!
    Last edited by PMPM; 27th February 2018 at 20:41.

Craftsman
    How about a SKX011? Nice and bright and available for around £150 so save yourself a bit cash too.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand101 View Post
    Agree with the Oris 40 or 42 versions. Or save a load of cash and go for a SKX007.

Re Oris, way over my budget, and a little bland I think.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post
    How about a SKX011? Nice and bright and available for around £150 so save yourself a bit cash too.

Call me crazy but Seikos are so incredibly boring to me, I know they’re great watches though and it’s a great suggestion! There must be something similar by another brand...

Oh and I HATE overly polished cases too.

Craftsman
    Longines sounds good to me -- under-rated IMHO since Swatch downgraded it to "High Range" rather than "Luxury/Prestige" in their categorization. Shiny, but lots of watch for the money.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post

Actually I was having a second look at it, rather like it! But it’s 43mm, I feel I’m pushing it going to 42mm to be honest.

I quite like these Alpina Seastrong hybrids. Dive watches with a extra smart functions. I think they're about £600 and the extra functions look fun if you fancy the extra oopmh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Actually I was having a second look at it, rather like it! But it’s 43mm, I feel I’m pushing it going to 42mm to be honest.
    They're notorious for wearing small on the wrist so I wouldn't let the size put you off. I recently bought the 007 and think it wears more like a 40mm. The unfortunate thing is I don't think they're sold over the counter anywhere in the UK so it would be a bit of a leap of faith.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Croftrock View Post
    I quite like these Alpina Seastrong hybrids. Dive watches with a extra smart functions. I think they're about £600 and the extra functions look fun if you fancy the extra oopmh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I like the style for sure but the smart watch bit and 44mm size are a turn off.

I think I spent about 6 hours on Jura watches last night, their filter on the search is crap!

Thanks!

Craftsman
    I also really like Stowa. Solidly engineered, right size, and with a "slightly out of the ordinary" look. Unfortunately, a bit over budget

https://www.stowa.de/en/Prodiver+limette.htm
    https://www.stowa.de/en/Prodiver+orange.htm

Journeyman
    Just seen this! Unimatic. Bloody perfect. Would buy the crap out of that if I could find one...

Can’t seem to upload image on iPad - can’t see how to do it and attachment won’t upload...

Anyway unimatic diver in orange is a real beaut.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    I also really like Stowa. Solidly engineered, right size, and with a "slightly out of the ordinary" look. Unfortunately, a bit over budget

https://www.stowa.de/en/Prodiver+limette.htm
    https://www.stowa.de/en/Prodiver+orange.htm
    Indeed lovely, and yes over budget. I wouldn’t wear a watch over a grand in the sea, no matter how hard wearing it was supposed to be. I few hundred quid I can deal with not worrying about keeping it perfect.

Apprentice
    What about a Mk III Halios Seaforth?

Pre-order opening at the weekend I think so no ridiculous after-market price gouging.

Jason bringing back a really nice pastel blue and potentially an orange face.

http://halioswatches.com/products/seaforth

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHarlequin View Post
    What about a Mk III Halios Seaforth?

Pre-order opening at the weekend I think so no ridiculous after-market price gouging.

Jason bringing back a really nice pastel blue and potentially an orange face.

http://halioswatches.com/products/seaforth
    Yes! I mentioned these below. Do you know how I go about pre-ordering? These look pretty much perfect.

PRS3?

• 316L stainless steel, brushed on top and polished sides
    • Diameter 42mm, 46mm across including crown
    • Lug to lug height 49.6mm
    • Thickness 12.45mm to top of crystal
    • Lug spacing 22mm
    • Anti-magnetic 4800 A/m
    • Water resistance 300m
    • 205 grammes on steel bracelet, 125 grammes on PU strap
    • Screw down crown, screw back, 60 click bezel with elapsed time insert
    • Black
    • Hour markers Super Luminova C3
    • Date at 6 o'clock position
    • Plongeur hands, different colours for different dials
    • Luminous: Super Luminova C3
    • 3mm flat sapphire, anti-reflective coating on underside
    • ETA2824-2 standard running at 28,800 BPH with quickset date, Incabloc shock protection
    • Fitted with stainless steel solid link bracelet with custom solid end pieces, screwed adjustment links and with safety fliplock clasp with divers' extension

Yellow and Orange only In Stock £340.00

Apprentice
    Yes! I mentioned these below. Do you know how I go about pre-ordering? These look pretty much perfect.
    You’ll be able to preorder from the site as of next week by the looks of this: http://halioswatches.com/blogs/journ...orth-pre-order

I’ll be ordering a Seaforth and hopefully a Seaforth GMT. Having handled a friends MKII earlier this week they are really a step apart from quite a few other micro-brands now. Not bitter about losing out in the 90 second window for “my” MKII at all...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHarlequin View Post
    You’ll be able to preorder from the site as of next week by the looks of this: http://halioswatches.com/blogs/journ...orth-pre-order

I’ll be ordering a Seaforth and hopefully a Seaforth GMT. Having handled a friends MKII earlier this week they are really a step apart from quite a few other micro-brands now. Not bitter about losing out in the 90 second window for “my” MKII at all...
    Thanks. Is there anywhere to preview the colour options? As in see photos. Need to make up my mind so I can order!

Master

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Yokel View Post
    Longines sounds good to me -- under-rated IMHO since Swatch downgraded it to "High Range" rather than "Luxury/Prestige" in their categorization.
    I hadn’t spotted that change. When did Longines get ‘downgraded’?

Master
    Literally just got one of these this week. Agree with the other comment, it doesn't wear like a 43mm watch - looks/feels like a 40mm.

Not too shiny in the flesh either.

Something of a no brainer I'd have thought for the money.

Master
    https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/g...black-769.html

My favourite holiday watch.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/g...black-769.html

My favourite holiday watch.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Very nice. I like some of the Steinharts, though the ones I like tend to be a bit too large, many are 15mm deep at 42mm, it’d be like my watch had an erection!

Seaforth if you can wait. Glad my colors aren't being repeated!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Just got a seiko sbd051. I had no choice once I saw it

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    Seaforth if you can wait. Glad my colors aren't being repeated!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I am extremely jealous of the Bahama yellow!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jdreg View Post
    Just got a seiko sbd051. I had no choice once I saw it
    I have to admit, they do look excellent! Even from someone who’s not into Seiko.

Hi all,

Cheers,
    Paul
    35 replies and I'm the first to bring this up, and ask, what? Damasko's steel is very tough, very high quality, and I would be most surprised to find that it's any more prone to rust than any other stainless.

Got any references or pictures, PMPM?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    35 replies and I'm the first to bring this up, and ask, what? Damasko's steel is very tough, very high quality, and I would be most surprised to find that it's any more prone to rust than any other stainless.

Got any references or pictures, PMPM?
    It’s pretty well documented online that Damasko and other hardened steel watches are much more prone to rust.

I have an Archimede Outdoor Protect (hardened steel) which rusts just from my sweat in summer, so I’m not comfortable taking the Damasko near salt water.

I’d much rather buy a cheaper dive watch which I’m less worried about and use that on holiday. Plus I just want a dive watch ;)

It’s pretty well documented online that Damasko and other hardened steel watches are much more prone to rust.
    Documented where? Can you cite your sources?

Not trying to be a pain, just genuinely interested. I've owned many Damaskos and always liked them, and I can't find anything with a quick google.

If you want a new watch, then I understand the question! But otherwise, I'd just stick your Damasko on a NATO and go.

Edir - OK, there's THIS thread on WatchUSeek where someone has put some watch parts in a static salt bath for two weeks, and surprise surprise, there's some corrosion, especially in the tiny battery created by the different metal of the bracelet screw.

Meanwhile, in the bright sunshine, away from the dark cellars of the internet, people are wearing watches in the sea, having a shower afterwards, and enjoying the damn things. :)
    Last edited by Qatar-wol; 28th February 2018 at 06:42.

^^^^^

This
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Documented where? Can you cite your sources?

Not trying to be a pain, just genuinely interested. I've owned many Damaskos and always liked them, and I can't find anything with a quick google.

If you want a new watch, then I understand the question! But otherwise, I'd just stick your Damasko on a NATO and go.

Edir - OK, there's THIS thread on WatchUSeek where someone has put some watch parts in a static salt bath for two weeks, and surprise surprise, there's some corrosion, especially in the tiny battery created by the different metal of the bracelet screw.

Meanwhile, in the bright sunshine, away from the dark cellars of the internet, people are wearing watches in the sea, having a shower afterwards, and enjoying the damn things. :)
    Top hit for google search “Damasko rust”. Shit loads of threads and images !

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f8/brow...66-568335.html

What about a Bell Diver 1, cracking watch, a bit different and money to spare. I picked one up recently and rate it.
    J

Master
    Think I'd be inclined to sell any watch I owned if there was a known issue with rust.

Or you can just wear it and not worry, and in the unlikely event it does rust, send it back to them for a replacement. Save yourself £500-800 and spend it on your holiday.

Another vote for the Longines Hydroconquest, I wanted a "grab & go" quartz & managed to snag this beauty on a well known auction site a few months ago;

I've just had a quick look & there are a couple on there nearer the lower end of your budget (a black/gold TT & a Black faced SS). If it has to be an automatic then 2nd hand they seem to be around the same price as the quartz even though new you pay around a £200 premium...... good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post
    Another vote for the Longines Hydroconquest, I wanted a "grab & go" quartz & managed to snag this beauty on a well known auction site a few months ago;

I've just had a quick look & there are a couple on there nearer the lower end of your budget (a black/gold TT & a Black faced SS). If it has to be an automatic then 2nd hand they seem to be around the same price as the quartz even though new you pay around a £200 premium...... good luck.
    I'd chuck in another vote for it.

I'm a big fan of the Hydroconquest (I've a 39mm blue automatic, although intially I planned to get a quartz too).

Might be worth looking at a CW Trident quartz, too, a lot of watch for the money (in the inevitable, sale, of course).

M
    Last edited by snowman; 28th February 2018 at 12:07.

Journeyman
    Saving up for a Damasko, I'll have to Google now. I wonder if normal sweat is a culprit or seawater is the problem?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vwfan View Post
    Saving up for a Damasko, I'll have to Google now. I wonder if normal sweat is a culprit or seawater is the problem?
    It’s an old problem with an early batch worn in the tropics.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Have usually gone with Seiko SKX013, but thinking of going for a Seamaster Pro mid size, looks like a great holiday watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Don't discount the Seiko Turtle SRP. I have a 6.75 wrist and it wears absolutely perfectlt

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jardine32 View Post
    What about a Bell Diver 1, cracking watch, a bit different and money to spare. I picked one up recently and rate it.
    J
    Nice but too large I’m afraid. And not a fan of the other designs which are smaller either.