closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Owen Farrell

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    Wilson tried to rake/gauge Hughes eyes, he was goading some of the English players for a slap, he very nearly got one!
    While there was undoubtedly contact with the 'eye area' however minor or major. I'd suggest that anyone being pinned into the ground for 5+ seconds by the throat by a giant might not make the best decisions and might make certain defensive survival reactions.

Wilson is a wind up merchant, exactly the type of player you want on your team but not on your opponents, not totally dissimilar to Farrell in fact.....

Sent from my Tab2A7-10F using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries

Owen Farrell

Given the latest revelations on this guy, what’s your opinion on him ass a player and his temper management.

Jim

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Given the latest revelations on this guy, what’s your opinion on him ass a player and his temper management.

Jim
    Latest relevations?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Latest relevations?
    Video footage shows him running towards and barging into Scotland’s players in tunnel.

His defence apparrently is he was going to set about Wilson for giving abuse to an England player. Could be fake news of course.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/s...acas-fnncmwgd6

Owen Farrell

He is a great player although not the best 10 in the squad IMO.
    He has always been a hot head which I think is his main vice and stops him being the best English F/H.
    To play at that level (or any level) you need to have aggression, but you have to control it, which he fails to do all to often.
    I think a lot of his missed tackles in recent games are from him going high in an effort to smash the opposition back, he is not big enough nor has the correct technique to do that. As such he needs to play to his strengths. The coaching staff should help him realise this, but I think EJ likes his aggression, and I would rather have a player on a team that stands up for his team mates than not, either for England, Quinn or the club I play for.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 27th February 2018 at 17:23.

Craftsman
    Temperamentally immature with a hint of unpleasantness.Ultra competitive (as is his father)with an instinctive understanding of the game and how it unfolds .Good defender.Take him out of the English side and there'll be problems.

I suspect that Ryan Wilson wasn't completely blameless:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43204322
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Owen Farrell

I am sure he wasn’t but that’s not the point as it wasn’t even in the heat of the moment (which in itself would also be wrong) but 5 minutes later. Citing is the way to go nowadays apparently.
    I agree that it wasn’t like that in my time, but a F/H wouldn’t have gone for one of the heavies: he would have asked his own pack to do the necessary at the first opportunity and would probably have tackled heavily the first winger that came his way.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Wilson tried to rake/gauge Hughes eyes, he was goading some of the English players for a slap, he very nearly got one!

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I am sure he wasn’t but that’s not the point as it wasn’t even in the heat of the moment (which in itself would also be wrong) but 5 minutes later. Citing is the way to go nowadays apparently.
    I agree that it wasn’t like that in my time, but a F/H wouldn’t have gone for one of the heavies: he would have asked his own pack to do the necessary at the first opportunity and would probably have tackled heavily the first winger that came his way.
    Was World War Farrell not taking place in the tunnel before the match had started? As the players were walking off after the warmup?

Sorry, I thought it was at half time
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Owen Farrell

What’s all this ‘management’ speak that has crept in to rugby? Temper Management, Game Management, Ball Management, etc. Rugby terms have even crept in to the naff vocabulary of management. Scrum.

Any way back on topic, a plucky northerner tries to lamp an over belligerent native of the Hampshire/Surrey borders. Can’t be bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Looking at the context of the apparent gouging incident, having a guys hands round your throat could be considered grounds for some form of self-defence. It looks very much like an attempt to get him off his throat, Nathan Hughes head being the closest part of his body to Wilson, rather than a deliberate attempt at gouging but maybe I'm just seeing things through Scottish coloured glasses!

Master
    Blog Entries
    You probably are you naughty boy. But at least you admit.

Others do the same very regularly but NEVER admit it.

Gouging is a serious act in rugby but I suppose if someone’s denying you life’s oxygen there’s a smidge says you’re justified in breaking the strangle hold any how.

It was fascinating to read the plaudits about Scotland on Twitter from ex England players eg Matt Dawson. Didn’t see hustcott though.

Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Looking at the context of the apparent gouging incident, having a guys hands round your throat could be considered grounds for some form of self-defence. It looks very much like an attempt to get him off his throat, Nathan Hughes head being the closest part of his body to Wilson, rather than a deliberate attempt at gouging but maybe I'm just seeing things through Scottish coloured glasses!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    I think a lot of his missed tackles in recent games are from him going high in an effort to smash the opposition back, he is not big enough nor has the correct technique to do that. As such he needs to play to his strengths. The coaching staff should help him realise this, but I think EJ likes his aggression, and I would rather have a player on a team that stands up for his team mates than not, either for England, Quinn or the club I play for.

I believe that his technique is a product of playing Rugby League and his dad's influence. However backs against forwards often go high in order to slow the player down (so the forwards can complete the tackle) and prevent the off load.

as for his aggression - no brainer

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Owen Farrell’s performance during yesterday’s series loss against the Springboks demonstrated conclusively that he is not suited to the captaincy role. The petulant gabbing to the ref, the looks of pained incredulity, the inability to keep his emotions in check - all very damaging for a team under pressure.

And where to next for England? I think a captaincy change would be a good start, but should Jones go too? To what extent should he be blamed for the continued lack of discipline shown by the players who continue to infringe (Itoje and the Vunipolas being the main culprits here)?

Well for me Launchbury would be my choice of skipper.
    Farrell is not a skipper nor is he suited to 12, his performance yesterday as the captain was poor, no real
    Leadership and he has no idea on how to get the ref on side which is a big part of a skippers role.
    He is only part of the problem though, Slade is too light weight in both size and impact at international rugby.
    Ford is a great player but should be warming the bench, as an impact player coming on to play flat he would be great as he would change the point of attack, currently he goes missing during the game. Lastly I would rest Mako for the next few games, he is not a dirty player but the penalty count against him recently has been too great. It seems to me that he is trying to be the enforcer but he is not that type of player. England lack an enforcer in the mold of Johnson but he is not it. To be honest I do not see anyone there that is.
    For me current England have the same problems they always have had, lack of competition at the break down due to a poorly balance back row and a poor centre partnership lacking in grunt and flair.

Craftsman
    I have to agree that Farrel as skipper is not a long term viable - he was way too vocal to the ref and not in a professional way. The skipper should set the tone and lead by example ..... he is too shouty and immature