closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW Wheels.miffed her a bit.

Master

BMW Wheels.miffed her a bit.

Wife has an F11 touring M Sport with the19's and the 30 profile tyres, car racks up 500 a week and is suffering with bulged sidewalls on the run flats potholes are rife up here,causing the premature replacement of the tyres, two in the last month has miffed her a bit.We like the peace of mind of the RFT so have decided to swap the wheels for a set of 17's from an SE. there are plenty of sets from saloons on ebay so my question is are the saloon and estate the same set or does the touring have a higher load rating on the rim? Just want to be insurance safe in the event of the what if.

Declare to the insurers, and as long as you're honest, you're covered. BTW I'd be very surprised if the wheels were different between saloon and estate.

Cheers,

Plug

Craftsman
    To my knowledge I've never heard of a tourer having different load ratings. The main thing to be aware of is the correct offset. Also are 17" wheels going to clear the front brakes ok?
    17's will really spoil the look of the car with balloon tyres on. 18's could be a happy medium?

I've a set of wheels with 235/30/20. They are pretty harsh and wouldn't last the wife 5 minutes.

Master
    Do check the prices of RFT on 17s too, wife’s Z4 needed 2 new 19” tyres on the rear, each of which was only £30 more than my 205/40/18 on my daily drive mini.

Given hers are much much wider, was really shocked. Yup, mine was a pot hole also, but can’t get a photo of it, it was the middle lane of the M25 around a gantry by J20; even the person I was talking to on the phone asked what I’d just hit.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    17's will really spoil the look of the car with balloon tyres on. 18's could be a happy medium?
    We like the look of 420 quid more, i think now that caliper clearance will be an issue with the 17's.

This is the Fourth premature replacement in 25 mths 50k miles, its just beyond a joke. i have one original front on the off side, its lasting well.

Would avoid an M sport again just for this reason alone

Master
    No criticism but 30 section tyres on a road car are a daft idea.

At the other end of the motoring scale, I droppped our Saab 9-5 on to 15" rims from 16". Tyres are half the price, the ride is better and there is no noticeable degradation in real world handling.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    No criticism but 30 section tyres on a road car are a daft idea.
    Agreed

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Agreed
    you do realise that its proportional to the width of a tyre?

Master
    Agreed but it's never going to be a tall tyre is it? A 30 section tyre is always going to be a squat stiff sort of a thing, irrespective of absolute width.

Master
    Blog Entries
    This combination is one of the worst for tyre trouble, / cracked wheels.

Have a look at the MOE range of tyres. They are still runflats but for Mercs. I find them to be a more comfortable ride and they are also normally cheaper.

Assuming your original 19's aren't cracked or already repaired, you'll make good money selling them individually on eBay too.

Master
    id rather have a bit more tyre, smaller/wheels, the roads are that bad.
    I prefer them for handling too, can feel a bit of flex when your driving like a c***
    Not that I do nowadays

Master
    Wtbh are you all on about? It's just tyres innit? Anybody got some part-worn 205 45 17 snow tyres they don't want?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    you do realise that its proportional to the width of a tyre?
    Yes, event at 245 wide 30 profile is a sliver

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    This combination is one of the worst for tyre trouble, / cracked wheels.

Assuming your original 19's aren't cracked or already repaired, you'll make good money selling them individually on eBay too.
    No cracked rims yet but luck may be running out.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Do the 2 cars run the same brake set up??

17’s may not fit over the calipers on an M-sport..
    Think unless the ‘M performance power kit’ option was selected, they remain the same, it’s just body kit/seats/branding.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Spoken to a couple of folk today and yes they do unless a brake upgrade option is on the M Sport, those calipers a blue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Wife has an F11 touring M Sport with the19's and the 30 profile tyres, car racks up 500 a week and is suffering with bulged sidewalls on the run flats potholes are rife up here,causing the premature replacement of the tyres, two in the last month has miffed her a bit.We like the peace of mind of the RFT so have decided to swap the wheels for a set of 17's from an SE. there are plenty of sets from saloons on ebay so my question is are the saloon and estate the same set or does the touring have a higher load rating on the rim? Just want to be insurance safe in the event of the what if.

I have a E92 coupe m sport with 19" rims and I tried to fit a 17" space saver..... didn't clear the calipers on either the front or rear.
    My calipers are not blue.