closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retiring a Rolex

Retiring a Rolex

I've been wearing my Kermit daily for the last 6 years and in that time it's tripled in value (give or take) and I think it's probably time to give it the tlc it deserves. No more gardening working on cars etc.

What should I do with it to keep it in tip top condition while not being worn as often?

Send to Rolex for a full service ?
    Stick it in the winder ?
    Stick it in it's box in the safe ? Will the lack of use affect it adversely ?

I "retired" my Datejust after 20 years of firefighting and outdoor sports and came here looking for advice re a work watch. In the years since it's been worn in rotation with my other watches and never taken any harm. It doesn't do any rough stuff nowadays mind, and is my most accurate mechanical by far.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    If it's the increase in value that's making you ask this question - do you think it's time to sell it?

Rather than be precious about it for the foreseeable, would you be happier to service and sell the Rolex, bank the profit and buy a suitable replacement to do the gardening etc, ?

Grand Master
    Putting it on a winder is a crazy idea.

Either get it serviced and refinished to bring the condition back to where it should be or simply put it in your safe. Contrary to popular myth I do not believe that watches benefit from being run regularly.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585 View Post
    If it's the increase in value that's making you ask this question - do you think it's time to sell it?

Rather than be precious about it for the foreseeable, would you be happier to service and sell the Rolex, bank the profit and buy a suitable replacement to do the gardening etc, ?
    Not time to sell it, I hope it will go to my lad someday a long way in the future mind. It just seams fooling using it as a daily, I should be getting my SD50 in a month or two so that will be come the daily

Yeah, forget the winder.

It’ll maintain its condition just fine if you wear the watch carefully whenever you like; you don’t have to baby it.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother servicing it until the timekeeping goes off or there’s a problem. You can have a polishing done separately from a full service if you want, though I’d suggest having it done as lightly and infrequently as you can stand.

PS: You can swap out either the bezel insert or the full assembly if you want to preserve the original one. I wear mine like that sometimes:

Last edited by Belligero; 26th February 2018 at 13:43.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by njr911 View Post
    Not time to sell it, I hope it will go to my lad someday a long way in the future mind. It just seams fooling using it as a daily, I should be getting my SD50 in a month or two so that will be come the daily
    Wif you ain’t selling it, continue to wear it in good health, just take it off when there’s a chance of wear and tear, for example decorating, diy or decorating.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seems a shame to retire it .... just keep wearing it.

Master
    If it's done six year, it's time for a decent service by Rolex.

There is nothing to stop you wearing it in rotation with your other watches. Letting a Rolex lie dormant has absolutely no effect (good or bad) on them at all and that information is released almost weekly in TRF in response to a similar question being asked quite frequently.

Forget the winder, it would only impart unnecessary movement wear & tear to have it working away 24/7 when you might only plan to wear it very infrequently.

Again, if it’s working fine and is to be worn very sparingly in rotation going forward, then there’s no real point getting it freshly serviced now – wait until either a problem crops-up, or until such time as it gets passed on to your son. That way, he’ll be starting with a watch that’s mechanically tip-top, and polished to an ‘as new’ state (if that’s your/his preference).

Other than that, just ensure your Insurance valuation/sum insured is up-to-date, store somewhere safe & temperate, and it’ll happily enjoy a leisurely run-out on the occasions you fancy a change from your incoming Sea Dweller.

(The exception to the above advice is if you ever plan to use it in or near water – in that scenario I’d prefer not to be relying upon rubber gaskets that might deteriorate over time.)

I agree with those who say just wear it in 'low risk' environments.

If you don't think it'll be worn at all, because you have something else for those occassions, I'd just put it in a box somewhere safe (that you can remember! ).

Personally, I'd leave a service/polish until you're ready to bring it of retirement, pass it on or sell it - If you get it serviced now but it's not worn for 10 years and it doesn't work properly then, you'll have no comeback.

M

Blog Entries
    If it was mine - I’d have it serviced by Rolex and then wear it for light duties but keep it in the safe - no need for a watch winder. Perhaps take it out for a spin every 3 months or so - just to remind yourself you own such a fine watch.

Martyn

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I agree with those who say just wear it in 'low risk' environments.

If you don't think it'll be worn at all, because you have something else for those occassions, I'd just put it in a box somewhere safe (that you can remember! ).

Personally, I'd leave a service/polish until you're ready to bring it of retirement, pass it on or sell it - If you get it serviced now but it's not worn for 10 years and it doesn't work properly then, you'll have no comeback.

M
    I once had an Omega Constellation that misted up after I got caught in a rain storm. I would not risk the well being of a Rolex for the sake of a service.

^
    Erm, that's what pressure testing is for. No point in servicing a watch that doesn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I once had an Omega Constellation that misted up after I got caught in a rain storm. I would not risk the well being of a Rolex for the sake of a service.
    Not likely to be an issue in a drawer or safe though...

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    ^
    Erm, that's what pressure testing is for. No point in servicing a watch that doesn't need it.
    You have missed my point, I was a bit skimpy in my reply, so apologies for that.

The Omega had a water resistance of next to nothing because it was a dress watch. It was admittedly to be kept well away from water. The Rolex we are talking about has had years of wear and could now be not so good in its water resistance. Taking a watch out and being caught in an unexpected rain storm can happen to anyone and an unserviced Rolex is vulnerable.

As regards to getting it pressure tested, the test is good for today but not for an unserviced watch say in six months from now.

Why risk a watch for the sake of a service, it does not make sense.

The watch is supposed to be serviced whether you wear it or not and even if it only has light use.
    Last edited by Mick P; 26th February 2018 at 15:25.

Taking a watch out and being caught in an unexpected rain storm can happen to anyone and an unserviced Rolex is vulnerable.
    Funniest thing I have read on here for a long time!

PMSL.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Agree what others have said above, it would seem a shame for it to be retired. Worn carefully in rotation with some others would be the way I'd go. Out of interest do Rolex have a recommended service interval?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post

PMSL.
    and I hope you die a slow and painful death. PMSL

There, we have both been unpleasant, and that makes us quits so please don't bother me anymore.

There, we have both been unpleasant, and that makes us quits so please don't bother me anymore.
    Are you upset? You seem upset.

Master
    Are you upset? You seem upset.
    Yes when someone PMSL's themselves at a watch being messed up.

Thanks for the replies. It will be worn sparingly and not totally retired. I'll get it serviced when the SD50 arrives seeing as very occasionally it doesn't hack when you pull the crown.

Now to polish or not to polish ???

It was your ill informed and quite frankly wrong perspective on the discussion.

If you honestly think that an unserviced watch is at risk in a rain storm........Lol.

Ah yes, I often wish a grim death upon people when that happens, too — especially when it’s rather obvious that they’re laughing at the crappiness of my advice, not the damage to my precious watch.

Totally normal.

Master
    It was your ill informed and quite frankly wrong perspective on the discussion.
    Your "joke" was nasty and my comment did not warrant it at all. You can disagree without making a comment like that.

Best we never talk to each other and also never about each other again.

Master

Totally normal.
    Not to me it isn't.

If you squint while standing on tiptoe you should still be able to see the OP through all this rubble and dust.

I was PMSL at you assertion that a watch (any watch) that is unserviced remains at risk in a rain shower.

Utter nonesense.

If you plan to lay it up for a while, it's well worth removing the bracelet and having it ultrasonically cleaned.

At the same time carefully clean the case and lugs with a mild shampoo and soft paintbrush, taking care not to compact any crud around the bezel.

Don't run the tap too briskly incase you should compromise the triplock crown seals :)

Master

Unbelievably poor and ill-judged response Mick. This is a forum about watches FFS, get a grip !

My Dad went something like the way you've alluded to above only last year, it wasn't pleasant.

Master
    Congrats OP on the incoming SD50 - I've never seen in the flesh, but pics look great.

Good call on deciding to keep the kermit in rotation. If you were to put in safe, I would have the movement cleaned and lubed before laying it up to stop any oxidation.

Blog Entries
    I've been wearing my Kermit daily for the last 6 years and in that time it's tripled in value (give or take) and I think it's probably time to give it the tlc it deserves. No more gardening working on cars etc.

What should I do with it to keep it in tip top condition while not being worn as often?

Stick it in the winder ?
    Keep it safe and only send it to Rolex when the watch starts loosing time. If you have another watch or watches rotate it with the LV and enjoy it.

Your son will remember you and the watch you wore every day and treasure it as part of you. You'd better keep wearing it

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    Your son will remember you and the watch you wore every day and treasure it as part of you. You'd better keep wearing it
    That's very true

PMSL.
    So what in your opinion causes a watch to lose its water resistance

length of time between services? Type of use/stresses and strains during use? Or just bad luck?

Or none of the above.

AFAIK this watch has been used well for a number of years including gardening duties. It hasnt been serviced for 6 years i think and the owner wishes to retire it. Some posters have suggested that he take it out ocassionally. Hence the referral to getting caught out in a thunderstorm. Perfectly good point i think.

So why did you feel the need to urinate whilst being not in control of your mirth.

I dont get it.

Send it in for a service and then when it returns you can decide. If it were me I wouldn’t sell it. I had 2 in the early phase of production and sold them both. That was an error of judgement.

Yeah, forget the winder.

It’ll maintain its condition just fine if you wear the watch carefully whenever you like; you don’t have to baby it.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother servicing it until the timekeeping goes off or there’s a problem. You can have a polishing done separately from a full service if you want, though I’d suggest having it done as lightly and infrequently as you can stand.
    This
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    I had to look that up. How would an old guy like you know what that means?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nansbread1 View Post
    So what in your opinion causes a watch to lose its water resistance

length of time between services? Type of use/stresses and strains during use? Or just bad luck?

Or none of the above.

AFAIK this watch has been used well for a number of years including gardening duties. It hasnt been serviced for 6 years i think and the owner wishes to retire it. Some posters have suggested that he take it out ocassionally. Hence the referral to getting caught out in a thunderstorm. Perfectly good point i think.

So why did you feel the need to urinate whilst being not in control of your mirth.

I dont get it.
    The watch is a Submariner, one of the most respected dive watches in the business. A thunderstorm will NOT affect a non-serviced watch that has been used for a spot of gardening for the last 6 years, let us get some perspective here, please.

To the OP, what are you using as a basis for value ? Hopefully not Watchfinder.

Don’t do it, just keep enjoying it.
    It's just a matter of time...

I'm unsure I'd want to stop wearing an LV.
    Just be careful with it and take it off when digging the garden. No big fuss.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I had to look that up. How would an old guy like you know what that means?
    I started using emails about twenty five years ago, these abbreviations were all the rage back then. It was just one of hundreds.

Craftsman
    The LV all the way

Craftsman
    Sent mine for service before the price rise. First service in 14 years although it wasn’t loosing time as it’s hardly been warn, just thought the watch deserved a treat before being put back in the safe waiting for the next special occasion.
    I have a completion date of the 16/3 from Rolex,so 2 weeks to scrape £470 together.

Thanks for all the advice, It's currently sat in the winder so I can see it buy no winding is going on, I shall wear it sparingly, in rotation and service it if and when required.

Stick it in the winder ?
    As you've obviously decided on a change just sell it, buy your son a new watch he can cherish. He might hate it or feel its a burden, if he damages it or loses it. My father always promised me his dads watch (a WW1 Rolex) my dad never wore it as he said it was to valuable and my grandfather wore it all through WW1, after years of waiting it was stolen in a burglary in 1998 while my parents were on holiday. So that was that...my dad never realised how much that erked me as he was not fussed with watches!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the advice, It's currently sat in the winder so I can see it buy no winding is going on, I shall wear it sparingly, in rotation and service it if and when required.
    Maybe put the watch winder in the safe.

Not sure why you are ‘retiring’ it though, as a serviced Rolex will keep running for a lifetime and beyond. Maybe swap out the green bezel if your worried about damaging that. I think a regular steel bezel is £80 ish approx. And just up your insurance against loss or theft if that is what you’re worried about.

So to keep the movement tip-top I’d service it every 6 to 10 years - your call.

I have an airking from 1978 and it is as robust as the day it was made. It cost £250 then and a replacement airking is about £4800 (I guess), but I have no qualms wearing it.

Shame not to wear the Kermit really. But of course utterly your choice. All the best.

Martyn
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 28th February 2018 at 20:00.

If you’re keeping it running on a winder then it’s hardly being “retired”!

IMHO it’s pointless keeping it wound up but not worn.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Maybe put the watch winder in the safe.

Not sure why you are ‘retiring’ it though, as a serviced Rolex will keep running for a lifetime and beyond. Maybe swap out the green bezel if your worried about damaging that. I think a regular steel bezel is £80 ish approx. And just up your insurance against loss or theft if that is what you’re worried about.

So to keep the movement tip-top I’d service it every 6 to 10 years - your call.

I have an airking from 1978 and it is as robust as the day it was made. It cost £250 then and a replacement airking is about £4800 (I guess), but I have no qualms wearing it.

Shame not to wear the Kermit really. But of course utterly your choice. All the best.

Martyn
    Yup, that about sums it up, well said.

Nobody’s recommending five-year service intervals any more; doing so is a waste of money, and by messing with the movement unnecessarily, it’s more likely to have a problem than if it’s simply left untouched.