closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range Rover sport - Common faults/what to look for

Craftsman

Range Rover sport - Common faults/what to look for

Following on from my Porsche 911 sales post, it looks like a 2014 Range Rover sport 3.0 will be the replacement.
    I needed something bigger, a bit comfier etc and that seems to tick all the boxes. I test drove the car in question yesterday and although its no 911 straight line speed is OK.

It has 30k on the clock, recent service, new tyres etc.

My main question is common faults, what should I be looking out for or checking before I pull the trigger on it?

Thanks in advance.

Craftsman
    Make sure you join the AA or RAC. Landrover isn't the most reliable brand

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GC2012 View Post
    Following on from my Porsche 911 sales post, it looks like a 2014 Range Rover sport 3.0 will be the replacement.
    I needed something bigger, a bit comfier etc and that seems to tick all the boxes. I test drove the car in question yesterday and although its no 911 straight line speed is OK.

It has 30k on the clock, recent service, new tyres etc.

My main question is common faults, what should I be looking out for or checking before I pull the trigger on it?

Thanks in advance.
    My experience with a range rover sport years ago it wou”d be easier to list the things that where ok

Tires where fine
    Steering wheel always seemed to work
    Doors always opened (didn’t always lock)
    You get the gist I vowed I’d never touch another landrover product after that car but I maintain it’s the nicest place I’ve ever sat whilst waiting for the recovery truck .

63 plate onwards were a huge step up from the previous models and don't suffer from nowhere near the amount of issues.
    Check to make sure that the list of recalls have all been done via Land Rover. If you're not 100% sure then a quick call to your local LR Dealer quoting the last 8 digits of the VIN is enough for them to be able to check.
    Make sure you have a bulletproof warranty preferably LR CCP which is just about as good factory warranty.
    It's only real Achilles is unfortunately one of the biggest items, the engine, known for taking out the cranks. Very costly to put right which is why you need that warranty!

If you need to know anything specific let me know.

FFF

Master

I believe you get a warning noise just before the engine bricks itself, like a load of spanner’s on a spin cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New engines not an uncommon requirement and £15k
    (At least that’s what Honest John website says...)
    Have fun!

I know someone who bought a range rover sport in the last few months, and suffered an engine seizure with no prior warning.
    He got the £9k to £12 quote.
    After shopping around, he found a company doing the repair at £3k for a reconditioned unit, plus 1.5k to lift the body off the chassis and have it fitted = £4.5k total.
    It is so common that they have done 9 this year already, about one a week.

He is going to be worried that it could seize again at any time once he gets it back.
    Last edited by Reeny; 25th February 2018 at 21:37.

Craftsman
    Thanks guys

I knew the older model was problematic but didn't realise the newer shape also had its problems.
    Really like the car but slightly in two minds unless a comprehensive warranty is included.

Master
    Researched the older models a while back and the conclusion was own new or don't bother. Unless you can get an extended manufacturer warranty it's a risk. The cayenne and lexus rx models are between alternatives. Even the new xc90.

Avoid - huge money pit waiting to happen.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    As mentioned above, the second generation RRS does not suffer from as many issues as the first model but crankshaft failure with the 3.0 Diesel engine, while not very common considering the total number of cars sold, is still a scary thought. If buying from a franchised dealer, you will get a 2 year "approved warranty" but it is NOT the same as manufacturer's original 3 year warranty. Try to get in writing that an engine failure will be covered by the extended warranty or directly by Land Rover as Car Care Plan (the company that provides LR extended warranties) are known to reject claims stating "design" or "known" problems with the crankshaft. If not from a main dealer, you can still buy LR extended warranty but need to pay for an initial check-up before they approve and sell you the warranty.

Some of the things to check:

- As with any car, make sure the history is sound and services have been carried out as per LR's schedule. Too easy for any warranty company to reject claims if this isn't the case.

- Having an air suspension (hence the comfortable ride) as opposed to standard coil springs makes things a little complicated. Make sure to alter ride hide between access, normal and off-road 2-3 times in quick succession. Any warnings on the dash while doing that could point to a tired compressor or an air leak in the system.

- When on a level surface, check all 4 corners are roughly at the same height in access, normal and off-road mode. If the car is leaning, it could have an air leak or a ride height sensor/valve issue.

- Apply and release the parking brake with the window down or door open to check if it makes excessive noise.

- If it has a low ratio gearbox (became optional in second generation cars, depending on the variant), put it in low range and drive forwards and backwards a bit. These tend to seize up due to lack of use.

It's not all doom and gloom ... excellent long distance cruiser while being reasonably sporty despite its size and weight.

Thanks guys

I knew the older model was problematic but didn't realise the newer shape also had its problems.
    Really like the car but slightly in two minds unless a comprehensive warranty is included.
    I would recommend buying LR approved
    You get a two year bullet proof warranty
    I guess the cars are more expensive - but buyer beware
    The warranty service and call out is top notch

Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I would recommend buying LR approved You get a two year bullet proof warrantyI guess the cars are more expensive - but buyer beware The warranty service and call out is top notch
    Friend bought an ex demo last year (less that 2k miles) went back in 14 times in 9 months before he got his money back. Had around a dozen LR experience vouchers which they kept giving him as a sweetener, but eventually enough was enough.
    Last edited by Chris_in_the_UK; 26th February 2018 at 14:36.

Craftsman
    Thanks guys. Slightly put off now!
    i think if I do pull the trigger on one it will have to be from Land Rover so I get the warranty with them and hope that covers any potential engine problems?

Alternatively an X5 40d maybe worth looking at/testing.

Craftsman
    If you're used to Porsche quality, the Cayenne is so much better than the RR IMO. We have a Cayenne 3.0 Diesel and my son has a RR Sport 3.0 Diesel and I know which I'd pick. He has had a fair few problems (no surprise) on an 11 plate, and I was shocked to see the corrosion when we had it on a ramp. Dangerous brake lines were the most worrying, but the exhaust, the whole underside, was badly corroded.

The RR is a very nice ride when driven gently, but not something to hustle. The Cayenne is a different proposition, surprisingly agile for a big car and actually quite fun in Sport mode.

We have had Cayennes since the first generation V8, four in total, with about 250k miles in total and never a major problem.

Craftsman
    Hi guys,

Still browsing the classifieds to see what is about and hoping to view a Cayenne and 40d X5 at the weekend. I have also been offered a good deal on a RR Sport with three years warranty through the Pentagon car group. Providing the warranty is good enough its a good buy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by plw View Post
    If you're used to Porsche quality, the Cayenne is so much better than the RR IMO. We have a Cayenne 3.0 Diesel and my son has a RR Sport 3.0 Diesel and I know which I'd pick. He has had a fair few problems (no surprise) on an 11 plate, and I was shocked to see the corrosion when we had it on a ramp. Dangerous brake lines were the most worrying, but the exhaust, the whole underside, was badly corroded.

The RR is a very nice ride when driven gently, but not something to hustle. The Cayenne is a different proposition, surprisingly agile for a big car and actually quite fun in Sport mode.

We have had Cayennes since the first generation V8, four in total, with about 250k miles in total and never a major problem.
    In my experience, very good advice. Otherwise make sure you have a watertight warranty (read the small print and all the weasel words) which will cover all major issues, and any issue with a RR is likely to be major.

You could always buy the v8 petrol one and spend the money on fuel instead of a new engine?
    Might be cheaper to buy in the first place too!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    You could always buy the v8 petrol one and spend the money on fuel instead of a new engine?
    Should even itself out after about 6 months.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As Frankie said 2014 to 2017 are really reliable and suffer few issues, where as the brand new models are suffering quite a few issues. Go to Pistonheads loads of info on there

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    My office is close to a well regarded business that carries out gas conversions and late model RRs are a common sight parked in their yard. Maybe worth considering.

Craftsman
    This is a 14 reg so hopefully it will be OK and if not the warranty covers it. I will have a good look over the warranty and if needs be upgrading it to the top one (if thats an option).

Quote Originally Posted by TomGW View Post
    My office is close to a well regarded business that carries out gas conversions and late model RRs are a common sight parked in their yard. Maybe worth considering.
    My Range Rover V8 vogue is LPG, managed to fill it up today ( shortage of LPG at filling stations due to delivery drivers working hours problem), still, mustn't grumble at 62 pence a litre Owned it now for 6 years and it's been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned, and I'm comparing it with a Volvo and Bmw .... Also the previous model range rover sport is basically a land rover discovery fitted with a different bodyshell .
    Last edited by steptoe; 1st March 2018 at 00:48.

Craftsman
    This is a 14 reg so hopefully it will be OK and if not the warranty covers it. I will have a good look over the warranty and if needs be upgrading it to the top one (if thats an option).
    If this is their own warranty just make sure there is no limit to claims either, as some of this post warranty have a limited number of claims / limited value... I got.caught on that last year..wasted money

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quick question as there seems to be a few experts on here.

I have seen another RR Sport and the garage can offer a premium warranty for 36 months at £675.
    This warranty is unlimited claims and unlimited claim limit with WMS warranties. Does anyone have experience with this company?

Master
    No experience of WMS but £675 for 3 years for a Range Rover Sport is too cheap. Warranty Direct and Warranty Wise quote more than that for 1 year and Land Rover Approved warranty (Car Care Plan) is well over £1,000 per year. I would go through the exclusions and small print extremely carefully. Most of the things that go wrong with these cars cost large sums. A £225/year warranty company may try to find any reason to reject the claim.

Craftsman
    I did think it was too cheap to be honest, Warranty wise were around £1000 per year if I remember correctly.
    If I proceed with the car I will call WMS and run through the policy before signing anything.

These after market warranties won't pay out for a snapped crank on a RRS Sport 3.0 SDV6 as it's a known fault

Craftsman
    Hmm not great then. So the only option really is a land rover warranty?

Is the snapped crank problem on the newer shape (2014+) or were you referring to the previous shape?

Craftsman
    To give you an idea, I have a Maserati (14) on one do these after market.... I did made the mistake of not reading the fine print ( hence my early advice ) and recently I thought i had suspension issue.. and they would not pay for the diagnosis.. it could cost well over a grant for that alone..

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I did think it was too cheap to be honest, Warranty wise were around £1000 per year if I remember correctly.
    If I proceed with the car I will call WMS and run through the policy before signing anything.
    Whatever you discuss and ask them to confirm, I would suggest to get that in writing from the garage or warranty company.

As others have said, a credible warranty is a must for these cars. LR Approved is the safest one out there but it doesn't cover wear & tear like WD and WW might do. Still, wear & tear items generally don't cost a fortune compared to other major issues.

As Vanguard says, crankshaft failure is a killer and I would get at least that one specifically confirmed as covered in writing, LR approved or otherwise. Only the original 3 year manufacturer's warranty covers that for sure (if that car has been serviced per schedule of course). Currently, even in case of LR Approved extended warranty (for cars older than 3 years), JLR say they will treat each failure on a case by case basis which isn't very reassuring. However, if you are able to get that in writing, you should be safe.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FK77 View Post
    Whatever you discuss and ask them to confirm, I would suggest to get that in writing from the garage or warranty company.

As others have said, a credible warranty is a must for these cars. LR Approved is the safest one out there but it doesn't cover wear & tear like WD and WW might do. Still, wear & tear items generally don't cost a fortune compared to other major issues.

As Vanguard says, crankshaft failure is a killer and I would get at least that one specifically confirmed as covered in writing, LR approved or otherwise. Only the original 3 year manufacturer's warranty covers that for sure (if that car has been serviced per schedule of course). Currently, even in case of LR Approved extended warranty (for cars older than 3 years), JLR say they will treat each failure on a case by case basis which isn't very reassuring. However, if you are able to get that in writing, you should be safe.
    There are just so many cases of RR owners finding that their warranty won't cover when disaster happens. Having said that, a friend of mine got his repaired at a huge cost to himself, then immediately replaced with an X5 which has proved to be nothing but trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    My Range Rover V8 vogue is LPG, managed to fill it up today ( shortage of LPG at filling stations due to delivery drivers working hours problem), still, mustn't grumble at 62 pence a litre Owned it now for 6 years and it's been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned, and I'm comparing it with a Volvo and Bmw .... Also the previous model range rover sport is basically a land rover discovery fitted with a different bodyshell .

But, LPG has a density of 550kg/m3 and diesel has a density of 830kg/m3.

As fuel price is measured by volume, you are getting only 66% the number of kg. As kg is directly related to the amount of energy you get, LPG has only 66% the amount of energy than diesel per unit volume.

Therefore, on a diesel energy equivalent basis, the LPG is in fact costing you the equivalent of 94p per litre.

Ok, a saving against diesel at 120p per litre, but a £2k conversion is going to around 50,000 Miles to break even (depending on your mpg of course).

Stick with diesel unless you are a mega-miler.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 1st March 2018 at 17:09.

Hmm not great then. So the only option really is a land rover warranty?

Is the snapped crank problem on the newer shape (2014+) or were you referring to the previous shape?
    Personally the only option would be to steer well clear of LR...friend had a disco 4 with a blown engine...still arguing about who should pay...over a year later! There are plenty of other lux suvs on the market, I wouldn’t want the hassle personally.

Master
    I have a an extra care policy with warranty direct circa £1000 per year and its been great and covers wear and tear and in car electronics etc which I had written into the policy - historically it paid out over £3k for a full suspension refresh as well as new alternator, wheel bearings and air con compressor all paid with no hassle

They are highly temperemental vehicles that need a lot of love and for the piece of mind I personally think its a no brainer

Craftsman
    One of the cars I am interested in is at a LR dealer down south, the sales rep just got back to me and said their two year warranty covers the crankshaft with it being a mechanical part.
    Providing I can get that in writing I might be OK!

This dont fill me with confidence -

A friend has the new shape RR but he prefers his BMW X5 MSport 4.0D, says it's much better with everyday driving and almost feels like a 5 series..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 1st March 2018 at 17:47.

One of the cars I am interested in is at a LR dealer down south, the sales rep just got back to me and said their two year warranty covers the crankshaft with it being a mechanical part.
    Providing I can get that in writing I might be OK!
    You seem determined to get one! Best of luck with it.

Just re-read this thread and realised I sound a bit disparaging.
    Not really intended at all I just find the risk too high to take on one of these very desirable vehicles.
    I buy all my cars cash but with one of these I’d go the pcp route and if necessary suspend payments if any argy-bargy (as in the one year argument discussed above)occurred
    I’m in the market for something similar but I think an x5 or Merc ML is where I’ll end up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    This dont fill me with confidence -

A friend has the new shape RR but he prefers his BMW X5 MSport 4.0D, says it's much better with everyday driving and almost feels like a 5 series..
    Then again it wasn’t the wisest move to try and pull a car transporter that had jackknifed in the snow. One of our wagons was stuck there for 8 hours behind it earlier.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Regardless of how good the warranty is, Range Rover appear to be very unreliable, and very expensive. Regardless of the warranty, why buy a car which will probably break down regularly when you can buy a different car without all the headaches? Sorry, don’t get it

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Regardless of how good the warranty is, Range Rover appear to be very unreliable, and very expensive. Regardless of the warranty, why buy a car which will probably break down regularly when you can buy a different car without all the headaches? Sorry, don’t get it
    It does appear a bit irrational. However, only speaking for myself, I have never been let down or left stranded by any of mine yet (touch wood). Small problems and niggles, yes. A few minor "first world" QC issue, yes. But nothing serious enough to put me off the brand. The last 2 times I changed cars, I tried BMW, Audi and even other JLR SUVs purely because I didn't want to buy the same thing again. Couldn't bring myself to switch to any of those really nice cars as the RR Sport was still the overall best car for us compared to everything else we tried. The level of refinement, ride comfort, power and even handling (especially in dynamic mode) is quite remarkable for a heavy car like that. Then there is the off-road capability (which I do use occasionally, unlike most I suppose) that is exceptional even under control of a novice like me. I don't need those features and can happily live without, but it does make you less restricted in all conditions.

Next time I change, I am leaning even more towards buying something else but only because I think life is too short to be married to a brand and I should try something different. I already know it will be difficult to settle down because I am definitely hoping to spend less than a RR Sport.

Bought the last of the old model RR Sports. Lovely vehicle but completely unreliable and expensive. Never again will I make that mistake.

Went back to my LR Defenders - bulletproof - having owned many over the years.

How close is your LR dealer and what’s their policy on loan cars for extended periods - as there’s a better than average chance you’ll find out. Hearing from a friend the battles with the dealership on replacing the suspension...then the engine..over a 3month extended period with no courtesy car beyond the initial couple of weeks.

Not my idea of fun personally, but then some people like cycling 100 miles in the rain for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil View Post
    How close is your LR dealer and what’s their policy on loan cars for extended periods - as there’s a better than average chance you’ll find out. Hearing from a friend the battles with the dealership on replacing the suspension...then the engine..over a 3month extended period with no courtesy car beyond the initial couple of weeks.

Not my idea of fun personally, but then some people like cycling 100 miles in the rain for fun.
    This is what caused my mate to get his money back - car spent marginally more time in the dealership than in his care - even the courtesy car let him down and he ended up with a Kia for a week (nothing wrong with Kia but hardly like-for-

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    As Frankie said 2014 to 2017 are really reliable and suffer few issues, where as the brand new models are suffering quite a few issues. Go to Pistonheads loads of info on there
    If by really reliable you mean in comparison to the earlier models then fair enough. In comparison to other cars they are still awful.

I think you need your head read if you are still considering one after reading all the warnings out there OP.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk

To answer your question, what to look for would be an Audi Q7. The big benefit over the RRS is that the Audi actually works as intended. The RRS tends to let you down in this regard. The other huge benefit of the Audi over the RRS is that if you are driving the Audi it is highly unlikely that people will mistake you for an Essex cocaine dealer.

Last edited by ryanb741; 2nd March 2018 at 09:56.

Business partner has the 2015 Sport, it needed a complete engine replacement 6 months ago. This replaced his 2011 Sport which after a few years fuel gauge became temperamental , central locking didn't work and other minor annoying bits.

Sisters Evoque had an oil leak at 6 months old.

Really annoying the reliability of them is so poor as I went to a Land Rover off road experience in November and I have to say when they work- they're incredibly capable machines.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    To answer your question, what to look for would be an Audi Q7. The big benefit over the RRS is that the Audi actually works as intended. The RRS tends to let you down in this regard. The other huge benefit of the Audi over the RRS is that if you are driving the Audi it is highly unlikely that people will mistake you for an Essex cocaine dealer.

Surly there’s nothing wrong about being from Essex

Craftsman
    Thanks everyone, I think I will be visiting my local Porsche specialist this weekend to see if they have any Cayennes to test.
    This one ticks most of the boxes so could be on the list to view/buy next week when my car goes:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...us=1500&page=1

Not a huge fan of the Q7, I love Audi but the new shape just doesn't do it for me.
    X5 is also a contender but I do find it lacking a bit interior wise in comparison to the Porsche or RR for example.