closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Vinyl revival

As a matter of interest dr.loudness-wars.info has a good library of cd compression via mastering. Most modern cd recordings are compressed so often lp has a better chance of sounding better

Grand Master
    Having spent the last few weeks rediscovering my old vinyl collection it was only a matter of time before I bought a new vinyl album.........well, it’s finally happened!

Whilst on holiday last week in Torquay I took a train to Totnes via Newton Abbot and had a browse round the market. I came across an excellent vinyl/cd/used hi-fi stall so I had a browse through the second- hand vinyl, just like I used to do as a youngster. Found the Bob Seger live album (Live Bullet) from 1976, inspected the record, it looked OK, so I parted with £7.99 and bought it! Felt v. strange, carrying a 12 record around in a bag and taking care not to damage it, just like in the old days.

Returned home today, given it a play, it sounds brilliant! Near-mint condition although the sleeve’s aged a bit.

I always thought buying second-hand vinyl was a bad idea...........it’s fair to say I’ve done a U-turn and this will be the first of many (well, several!).

By concidence, I remember buying the Beach Boys ‘Pet Sounds’ on cassette ( second-hand) from Newton Abbott market in 1973 as a bored 15year old on holiday with mum and dad..........definitely a touch of deja vu!

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    I’ve recenty gotten into Bob Seeger but no vinyl yet,night moves is sublime.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Some recent original finds,the records themselves look unplayed.

I am Replacing lost records and trying some new stuff, I really like the John Barry album.
    Mono Who and Bill Haley,nice.

I’ve also bought some 180 when I can’t find originals,for some reason I don’t like it as much it’s very clean.

Listening to Hotel California which I got from Fopp today,they are in receivership.

Master
    I remember buying that "Live and Dangerous " album. God, must have been 40 odd years ago.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    bumping an old thread as i've been listening to King Crimson Thrak on vinyl tonight. And interesting one this as it didn't come out on vinyl when released in 95, i've had the limited gold cd for years but this new vinyl master kills it! for those who have only heard the early king crimson releases search this album out on spotify etc and have a listen, i think it might actually be their best ever album.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bazza. View Post

It's just incredibly beautiful and vintage. I love these kinds of installations and collect old records. I'm a fan of everything old, including 20th century music, although I write rap music myself, oddly enough. I create rap music, I have my own blog, which I am actively developing. I can say that in the field of music this is not quite enough. It is very important to create a sound marketing strategy that will help you promote your music. On the Signalscv page I read information about this. It is very important to define your target audience in as much detail as possible, write down your goals and define your brand identity that will set you apart in a huge market.
    Last edited by bobocat; 12th February 2021 at 15:12.

Is that a michell spyder or gyrodec turntable?
    Does look nice and there is something cool looking at a mechanical instrument extracting music in full view of the human eye.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trott3r View Post
    Does look nice and there is something cool looking at a mechanical instrument extracting music in full view of the human eye.
    At my age (63) I find the vinyl revival somewhat ironic, I was thinking exactly this in the early 80s! My 1980s Thorens still looks cool.

Funny, I did have all the gear and no idea in the early 90s, family came along so no delicate tone arms, open speaker cones was considered sensible :-), so equipment was moved on, however I did hang onto my Epos Es 14 speakers & stands, they had been careful stored in the loft for 30 years !! My god, how time flies, my point two weeks ago I got them down with every intension of selling, however I needed to test them, what to do, sorry I have not got back into vinyl, what I have found is streaming ! And one stop streaming/amp boxes and discover my love of music again, with the convience of no storage requirements! Sorry but memory may be playing tricks but today's high def digital music sounds as good as I remember analogue ever sounded, and even on ancient speakers (abait they do retain all their quality! )
    p.s
    i do agree there is something about/additional experience the mechanics of hi-fi when the quality is as good as in the set up by bazza

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    At my age (63) I find the vinyl revival somewhat ironic, I was thinking exactly this in the early 80s! My 1980s Thorens still looks cool.
    the 90s for me and i enjoyed boots and other shops dumping their vinyl. :)

Got a project perspective from the 90s.
    Lovely clear acrylic build.

Is that a michell spyder or gyrodec turntable?
    Hi its a Michell Orbe SE its normally a full fat model but I didn't have the space so I converted it to the SE

Here it is in its normal form

Nice deck thanks for the confirmation

Here’s my new turntable set up.
    Audio Technica LP120XUSB.
    Either played thru an old Technics amp to a pair of Mordaunt Short speakers or a Panasonic surround set up using aux input to Dolby Pro-Logic II Music for subtle surround sound.
    Having great fun playing lots of old records I’ve had for years but also buying new stuff.
    Just bought one of my favourite albums, Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld by The Orb on 180gram vinyl. Sounds fantastic!!
    The market for vinyl is great at the minute, lots of re-presses coming out (albeit with healthy price tags).
    My next purchase will be Lifeforms by FSOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^
    Coincidentally I just bought an Audio Technica lp120XUSB to digitise a bunch of singles from the punk era as it has a handy USB output , which makes the job a bit easier than going through the main HiFi . The direct drive also makes cleaning the discs was easier as the Rega is belt drive, so prone to slipping .

The Audio Technica has replaced this Sony, which was a nice deck

andymonkey: eek you speakers are on the same shelf as your turntable.

It would be a good idea to gets some speaker stands.
    Do they not sound boxy in that small enclosure?

andymonkey: eek you speakers are on the same shelf as your turntable.

It would be a good idea to gets some speaker stands.
    Do they not sound boxy in that small enclosure?
    At the minute I have the turntable going through the surround amp as it has a sub woofer which I thought sounded better as I’m playing more electronic type music.
    I did start with it going through the Technics amp but didn’t like the sound, which in hindsight, and your observation, is probably to do with the speakers being boxed in!

Quote Originally Posted by andymonkey View Post

Here’s my new turntable set up.
    Audio Technica LP120XUSB.
    Either played thru an old Technics amp to a pair of Mordaunt Short speakers or a Panasonic surround set up using aux input to Dolby Pro-Logic II Music for subtle surround sound.
    Having great fun playing lots of old records I’ve had for years but also buying new stuff.
    Just bought one of my favourite albums, Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld by The Orb on 180gram vinyl. Sounds fantastic!!
    The market for vinyl is great at the minute, lots of re-presses coming out (albeit with healthy price tags).
    My next purchase will be Lifeforms by FSOL.

Nice Sir but if my amp was that close to my turntable I would get so much interference thats way in the photo above the amp is on the far side

Grand Master

Vinyl revival

I have a spare one of these if anyone wants a top end storage solution
    RIAC

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post

I have a spare one of these if anyone wants a top end storage solution

Perfect if you are taking some records somewhere, and they look nicely made. I might need a bigger storage solution though

Grand Master
    Holds 100.

Lids removable
    RIAC

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Holds 100.

Lids removable
    i'd need about 30!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Was gifted all of the P J Harvey re-issues on vinyl for Xmas. Nice heavy discs and way better than the flexible 80s stuff I bought in the er, 80s. Sounds fantastic, even on a very basic setup.
    A bit like wine, could I tell a £2k system from. £20k system? I doubt it. Aside from anything else, presbyacusis gets us all in the end.

Well my set up is no where near some of the nice systems shown here but works okay for me and my budget. I have an Ariston RD80 with a Linn Ittok arm and Linn cartridge which I originally bought in 1982, run through a NAD 3020 amp and Wharfdale Diamond 5 speakers on stands that I made myself complete with spiked feet. I have all my original albums and some that I've picked up over the years, my favourite being Aladdin Sane by David Bowie, the first I ever bought sometime around the mid seventies and it isn't scratched with a nice cover. Others include quite a few Bowie, Genesis and Pink Floyd, on one occasion a few years back whilst playing some music I realised that the 'Duke' album by Genesis I had owned since it first came out was in fact a gate fold album which I had never opened properly just slitting the cellophane cover.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cornish Bob; 16th February 2021 at 07:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    A bit like wine, could I tell a £2k system from. £20k system? I doubt it. .

Could you tell a £2K watch from a £20K watch?

If the system was set up properly you would hear the difference.

Whether that difference is worth it to you is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Could you tell a £2K watch from a £20K watch?

If the system was set up properly you would hear the difference.

Whether that difference is worth it to you is another matter.
    I honestly don't know, I have only once handled a watch worth more than £10k, let alone 20k. But I take your point

Grand Master

Little addition based in the watch I designed and project managed for 75th Anniversary
    RIAC

Kerry, that looks great! Airborne... !

My latest setup , Buchardt A500 active wireless speakers with room correction

Craftsman
    How good is room correction , presumably you have tried before and after .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    How good is room correction , presumably you have tried before and after .

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    Its pretty impressive it removed the bass boom from my small room , you can switch it on and off tapping your phone
    So its easy to hear the difference