closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TT for 50+ gents

TT for 50+ gents

Question
    I’ve had a sub (which I loved but sold to set up a business)
    I now have a YG sub but would never consider a TT rolex because to me thy look tacky (don’t know why)

Seems to me that TT Rolexs belong to arms with a sleeve tattoo or arms attached to someone a fair bit older than me (I’m 39)....

Don’t know why I hold this opinion and my post isn’t meant to offend

What’s your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    I like them, I don’t have a sleeve and I’m 35.....

Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    I like them, I don’t have a sleeve and I’m 35.....
    Wristshot please

Tramp stamps

Money can’t buy good taste.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by leahorsfall View Post
    Question
    I now have a YG sub but would never consider a TT rolex because to me thy look tacky (don’t know why)

Seems to me that TT Rolexs belong to arms with a sleeve tattoo or arms attached to someone a fair bit older than me (I’m 39)....

What’s your thoughts?

I have liked the TT sub for years and one of my regularly worn watches is a TAG homage to the TT Rolex
    I would not want to wear the TT sub for every occasion if I was lucky enough to have one

Bought my first Rolex TT aged 46, advanced onto a brand new TT Blue dial Sub at 49. Since had two TT Daytonas - both 16523 Mark 1 with the floating dial. Wouldn't have a tramp stamp for a million dollars. When I was growing up people with tattoos were either old blokes who had been in the Navy and they had turned to a fuzzy blue colour and you couldn't see what they were were supposed to be or nutters with love and hate or mum across the knuckles.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 22nd February 2018 at 00:19.

Master
    The TT ceramics Daytona mock up in the Basel thread looks good, and would seriously tempt me into TT ownership

In all honesty the watch below is the most beautiful watch that I have ever owned, a TT Mark 1 16523 Daytona with a white porcelain dial - simply stunning. I wish I still had it, but the profit has just paid for a brand new bathroom. Needs must and all that...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    In all honesty the watch below is the most beautiful watch that I have ever owned, a TT Mark 1 16523 Daytona with a white porcelain dial - simply stunning. I wish I still had it, but the profit has just paid for a brand new bathroom. Needs must and all that...

Love that.

Blog Entries
    Yup 50+..!
    No tattoos though.

Now the Datejust 41 rose gold on jubilee for some reason that’s turned my head (a bit)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Master
    Sold the TT datejust on Jubilee a few months ago, was a beautiful thing, but maybe not as versatile as the 16613(black kit) which I will be keeping for some time, SS just doesn't look anything special anymore. That Daytona is the business.

39 years old, no tattoos and like my TT Sub a lot. Always have been a fan of gold though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I’m in my early thirties and my two tone GMT is one of my favourite watches. Tudor seems to be a brand for a younger crowd and their two tone Diver has been very well received, and apparently very popular. It’s not “tacky”, it’s just a nice way between not over flashy/showy and not understated. Personally I’ve had a solid gold YMii and sold it as I felt that was way too “in your face”.

I don’t really get why people associate age with watches. I used to see watches like the solid gold day date as a watch for older guys, but it’s really more that they’re who can afford to buy them. Same with Ferraris etc as I’d imagine a lot of owners are older due to values, yet I don’t associate a 488 spider with an older person behind the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by tmoris View Post
    I'm 33 and I'm definitely looking to get one of these at some point. However, I can see OPs point that TT rolex seem to also be the choice of Swiss Tony types. That shouldn't matter though.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Sounds like the op is thinking of a TT Rolex after his recent indecision with the white gold Sub etc.
    As a side note one often reads on here and other watch forums about posters selling a Rolex to setup a business - in this particular case a Rolex Sub. I struggle to envisage what "business" could be setup for the funds achieved from selling a Rolex Sub.

Blog Entries
    Yep 50+ but no tats.

I love my TT YM - which has the slimmer shoulders and modern movement and bracelet (with comfort link). And it's fit is superb - more so than the modern Sub (IMHO).

I just don't like the modern 'box' cases - call me old-fashioned - ended up selling my Submariner, Hulk and BLNR because of the case shape!

I might prefer the chocolate dial version so may ask Rolex to swap at service in quite a few years time. Meanwhile very happy with the black and gold face for now.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 22nd February 2018 at 10:11.

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    Sounds like the op is thinking of a TT Rolex after his recent indecision with the white gold Sub etc.
    As a side note one often reads on here and other watch forums about posters selling a Rolex to setup a business - in this particular case a Rolex Sub. I struggle to envisage what "business" could be setup for the funds achieved from selling a Rolex Sub.
    I sold a BLNR, a sub date, a hulk and an explorer 2

Set up my business last Feb 27th and we’ve turned over in excess of £2.2m and have 40 staff

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Yep 50+ but no tats.

I love my TT YM - which has the slimmer shoulders and modern movement and bracelet (with comfort link). And it's fit is superb - more so than the modern Sub (IMHO).

I just don't like the modern 'box' cases - call me old-fashioned - ended up selling my Submariner, Hulk and BLNR because of the case shape!

I might prefer the chocolate dial version so may ask Rolex to swap at service in quite a few years time. Meanwhile very happy with the black and gold face for now.
    Have to say that is actually a STUNNING watch

Everyone of the TT Rolexes, pictured above, look gorgeous to my eyes.

I think they are very tasteful. Although in the market place, the TT Daytonas do seem to be seen as the poor relation. But a great buy for those who love them.

That’s a stunning watch. I think it’s the perfect TT

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I’m not really into two tone but the current two tone GMT is really nice.

Blog Entries
    Have to say that is actually a STUNNING watch

Thanks! It get's quite a bit of wrist time!

I have quite a few two tone watches, and a similar number of tattoos.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Yup 50+..!
    No tattoos though.

Had a tt gmt which I loved but just didn’t wear, but these are even better, gorgeous

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Had a tt gmt which I loved but just didn’t wear, but these are even better, gorgeous
    Never even thought about one until I was in a dealers looking at different models. Had about seven different watches on the table and took one away at a time.
    20 minutes later and this was the winner.
    Still love it. 🙂

Why is there a gap/blank line between lines 4 and 5 on this watch? I've never seen that before. I did see one without the red DAYTONA script once and assumed it was a fake.,

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Why is there a gap/blank line between lines 4 and 5 on this watch? I've never seen that before. I did see one without the red DAYTONA script once and assumed it was a fake.,
    It is a Mark 1 dial, commonly referred to as a floating dial because the word cosmograph appears to be floating. The Mark 2 dial was reduced to 4 lines of text with no gap. They only appeared in the first batches of watches in 1988 and are R serial numbers in the main and are extremely rare.

Even rarer still are the Mark 1 white dials with black Sub dial rings, which from my studies appear to have the porcelain dial.

I wrote a fairly comprehensive piece on these dials a few months back.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Final-Outcome

It is a Mark 1 dial, commonly referred to as a floating dial because the word cosmograph appears to be floating. The Mark 2 dial was reduced to 4 lines of text with no gap. They only appeared in the first batches of watches in 1988 and are R serial numbers in the main and are extremely rare.

Even rarer still are the Mark 1 white dials with black Sub dial rings, which from my studies appear to have the porcelain dial.

I wrote a fairly comprehensive piece on these dials a few months back.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-Final-Outcome
    Yes, good read thanks. Have there been any Cosmographs without the 'Daytona' script?

Craftsman
    Go 100% PM or go home is my MO.

50+... check
    Tats... a couple of discreet ones- check
    TT... only one out of 80-odd watches (an OQ) so check

To be honest one of the few grails I still have is a nice Rootbeer. If you’re going to have an “old man’s watch”, do it in style.

Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    50+... check
    Tats... a couple of discreet ones- check
    TT... only one out of 80-odd watches (an OQ) so check

To be honest one of the few grails I still have is a nice Rootbeer. If you’re going to have an “old man’s watch”, do it in style.
    The root beer, yes, yes, yes
    Went to St James and bought a root beer insert for my TT GMT, gave it a new look for no money.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    My dad likes TT.
    I wonder if age correlates to when it was at its peak popularity. Kind of like when you get to a certain point and your favourite music is stuff you listened to in your 20s.
    Mind you, it's having a bit of a resurgence now with those young types.

I was pretty surprised when Rolex put this model on Roger Federer's wrist when he was receiving the Wimbledon trophy last year

Why?

All the money is in TT and PM models. They don't need anyone to sell their steel sports models for them.

Mmm yes I see your point. I guess my surprise was that just before that they had used him quite heavily for the launch of the SS Skydweller. (I think I was also surprised by the watch's existing at all, but that's merely my own taste)

Master
    Only one man can get away with a Rolex TT

Craftsman
    I can't pull it off, tried and it just does not seem right. I have recently tried the white gold date just tho and that is fantastic

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    I’ll never understand these ‘can’t pull it off’ comments.........it takes a while to get used to seeing yourself in something different.

I currently just have the one, a 16523, I had it before I was 40, I’m not 50 for few years... I also have numerous tattoos

Vintage Root Beer on jubilee for me next

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well I’m definitely over 50 and I’m just not drawn to two-tone watches at all.

I don’t think it’s about taste or lack of it, nor do I think age necessarily has any bearing on it - I just think it’s a matter of personal preference. In my case I lean heavily towards steel divers and I don’t find TT watches appealing. If it works for other people, that’s fine.

I think the Swiss Tony comments are unnecessary and a bit cheap.

Simon

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I was pretty surprised when Rolex put this model on Roger Federer's wrist when he was receiving the Wimbledon trophy last year

Probably something to do with it being their "Wimbledon"/"Tennis" edition model perhaps?!?

https://www.rolex.com/rolex-and-spor...wimbledon.html

I have quite a few TT watches. Mid 40's if that makes any difference. But they are a small part, jjust like my small number of pm watches, of an otherwise steel watch collection.

Almost exclusively Omega TT, as I can't afford a Rolex ;)
    Last edited by Omegamanic; 17th April 2018 at 11:35.

Banned
    Nearer 60 than 50 but, definitely not a TT fan. In fact I don't like gold or gold coloured watches or jewellery. Definitely prefer SS for my watches.

Journeyman
    About to turn 49.....wanted a TT....went for GMT Master and love it!!!

The TT subs etc are great to look at imo

Nice for the office or dress up a smart casual look

SS Rolex are very samey and to me don’t attract the eye so much
    Maybe that’s the point

My sea dweller gets no wrist time and I’ll sell it soon - I’ll be going TT for my next Rolex and no ownership
    Of card issues I’d hope plus a discount maybe

I was 27 when I bought my SS Datejust in 1984. I didn't like TT watches then and I still dont, at 61.
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Question

What’s your thoughts?

Have you had a bump on the head recently.....maybe that would explain it?

I`m 60, I`ve liked TT watches for the last 20+ years, I don`t have tattoos but I confess that my arms are as old as the rest of me so I guess I qualify on one criteria.

Much as I like 'em, some can look a bit too blingy. I`m partial to a touch of bling but I find the Oyster bracelets a bit too much with their gold centre links. I don`t dislike them, but they are a bit loud, Omega's bimetal Bond bracelet is a better way to do it IMO.

I have a couple of watches with brushed gold centre links (70s Constellation and pre-Bond SMP), that's a much more subtle look and it gets around the problem of scratches showing. I think this would suit the Rolex models better but Rolex obviously think otherwise.

Maybe it is an age thing, I'm also partial to my gold chain and rings.......and I`ve even been known to wear a gold bracelet that I`ve owned for years too

Jangle Jangle
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 17th April 2018 at 17:15.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDunc View Post
    About to turn 49.....wanted a TT....went for GMT Master and love it!!!

Just love the TT GMT.....and the Tudor SG, so must be getting old...oh wait ...I am, better get a tat before my arms waste away !