closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 51 to 93 of 93

Thread: TT for 50+ gents

  1. #51
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    3,992

    Getting there......

    I'm close to this bracket, and picked this up last week. The other half hates it, but I did get through most of Saturday wearing it and she only noticed it in the evening, so maybe it's more subtle than one might think.

    I love modern Rolex sports watches, so not sure if it's that or the TT that appeals when I wear it. I still don't know if it will stay in the fold, but I'll wear it to work this week and see how that goes - the PAM687 I picked up the other week seemed to be getting some curious glances, as has my PAM368, so will be interesting to see if anyone notices - might team it up with some appropriate accessories (see last pic - I don't normally do yellow metal but I seem to have enought to cobble together something).








  2. #52
    Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    9,368
    Quote Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
    I'm close to this bracket, and picked this up last week. The other half hates it, but I did get through most of Saturday wearing it and she only noticed it in the evening, so maybe it's more subtle than one might think.

    I love modern Rolex sports watches, so not sure if it's that or the TT that appeals when I wear it. I still don't know if it will stay in the fold, but I'll wear it to work this week and see how that goes - the PAM687 I picked up the other week seemed to be getting some curious glances, as has my PAM368, so will be interesting to see if anyone notices - might team it up with some appropriate accessories (see last pic - I don't normally do yellow metal but I seem to have enought to cobble together something).







    Love it!

    Go bold or go home.

  3. #53
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,360
    Ive had a few TTís over the years and generally am a fan of them. Had a GMTC TT in my late 20ís, a TT SUB in my early 30ís and now a TTDJ. The DJ def my favourite out of the models Iíve had...the rose gold is more discreet and not so in your face.




  4. #54
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, England, or somewhere else
    Posts
    6,573
    Blog Entries
    17
    ^^^^^

    you seem to have grown hair ovwr the years!


    Quote Originally Posted by michael.jaye View Post
    Ive had a few TTís over the years and generally am a fan of them. Had a GMTC TT in my late 20ís, a TT SUB in my early 30ís and now a TTDJ. The DJ def my favourite out of the models Iíve had...the rose gold is more discreet and not so in your face.



  5. #55
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,360
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    ^^^^^

    you seem to have grown hair ovwr the years!
    Unfortunately not on the places where I want it!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #56
    11 more years and this will become true in my case


  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by leahorsfall View Post
    Question
    Iíve had a sub (which I loved but sold to set up a business)
    I now have a YG sub but would never consider a TT rolex because to me thy look tacky (donít know why)

    Seems to me that TT Rolexs belong to arms with a sleeve tattoo or arms attached to someone a fair bit older than me (Iím 39)....

    Donít know why I hold this opinion and my post isnít meant to offend

    Whatís your thoughts?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Why donít you wear what you like? I wouldnít let the sheep put me off

  8. #58
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Aberdoom
    Posts
    1,189
    38 here and no visible tattoos. Happily wearing my TT Tudor BB. (ok not quite Rolex, but close enough)


  9. #59
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    36
    I'm 31 and would definitely happily wear a TT watch. My friend recently got the Tag Aquaracer TT with blue face (he's 28), have to say seeing it in the flesh it is beautiful. Would be tempted by the Tudor TT, but have my name down (with deposit paid) for a BB GMT at the moment. One of the first watches I ever really clocked was a TT DJ and it kind of kicked off my interest in general. Agree initially there was a bit of an older gentleman vibe to those but at the end of the day it is all about what you think and feel when you put it on! I'm saving up to one day buy a TT DJ from my birth year but ironically may not be able to afford it until I'm 50 with recent house purchase and 2nd kid not long arrived!

    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app

  10. #60
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    St Albans
    Posts
    214
    Love my Black Bay Two Tone.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

  11. #61
    Grand Master gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    By the Sea, Wirral, Britannia
    Posts
    11,209
    An older gentleman sporting, oh let's say, a blue two tone sub will look like he made it big in '84 and isn't interested in fashion or watches so has never felt the need to change.

    If it's a black two tone Rolex of any other type it'll look like he didn't fancy a blue one.

    At least to many observers.

    The above scenarios on a younger arm and it'll like like he inherited the watch from his dad - who was a success in the '80s.

    I fancy a blue TT sub now😈
    Gray

  12. #62
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    2,558
    I have no wish to offend but the reality is that anyone wearing a TT Rolex has spent a lot of money to make themselves look cheap. They just have, simple has that.

    I think TTs are the reason why a lot of people think that anyone who wears a Rolex is a flash git.

    If you wear a Rolex, it's got to be either SS or all gold.

    Just my humble opinion.

  13. #63
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Budapest via Surrey, UK
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have no wish to offend but the reality is that anyone wearing a TT Rolex has spent a lot of money to make themselves look cheap. They just have, simple has that.

    I think TTs are the reason why a lot of people think that anyone who wears a Rolex is a flash git.

    If you wear a Rolex, it's got to be either SS or all gold.

    Just my humble opinion.
    I agree with this but I still quite like TT Sub or GMT.... I think your comment is 100% for Daytona but that is just within the Watch community.... most would just see it as a gold variant.

  14. #64
    Master
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Southampton, UK
    Posts
    3,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    They just have, simple has that.

    Just my humble opinion.
    Hmm... you correct yourself within the same statement...

  15. #65
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    36
    This is top class. Very modern look, but oozes vintage appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    Love my Black Bay Two Tone.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using TZ-UK mobile app

  16. #66
    Craftsman P.Sheridan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    316
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus.furius View Post
    Love my Black Bay Two Tone.

    Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    That looks amazing !! Off to google !!

  17. #67
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlynch1984 View Post
    I agree with this but I still quite like TT Sub or GMT.... I think your comment is 100% for Daytona but that is just within the Watch community.... most would just see it as a gold variant.
    Love mine - have worn a TTDate for 30 years and recently got this - so must excuse myself from the 'Watch community' immediately


  18. #68
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    210
    Dooh, thought for a second I was on the Pistonheads forum and someone was asking if a 50+yo chap can drive a TT without looking like a pillock.

    I was going to reply that of course a middle aged man car drive a TT as it so happens that I'm 52 and use one as my commuter car! In my defence though, this particular TT started off as my wife's car when the kids were small enough to fit in the back. Wind forward 14 or 15 years and the same kids are now learning to drive in it.

    And the Pistonheads way of photographing of a watch (quite warm for the beginning of Dec):


  19. #69
    This arrived yesterday. A stunning Mother of Pearl dial that shimmers between Blue and Purple, but for this thread has gold teeth on the bezel and gold hands on an otherwise SS watch.

    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 2nd December 2018 at 23:17.

  20. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have no wish to offend but the reality is that anyone wearing a TT Rolex has spent a lot of money to make themselves look cheap. They just have, simple has that.

    I think TTs are the reason why a lot of people think that anyone who wears a Rolex is a flash git.

    If you wear a Rolex, it's got to be either SS or all gold.

    Just my humble opinion.
    That's just rubbish, and as stated in your opinion.

    A TT blue sub looks great to me. I don't have any TT Rolex, only steel or all gold, but that's just a preference. I would own one. I do however have a watch box full of TT Omega watches, because I preferred the models to the steel versions.

    It's all about personal preference and personal opinions - there is no wrong choice.

    I think I'll add a TT Submariner, just because. It's nicer looking than a few of the harder to find steel watches too imo
    It's just a matter of time...

  21. #71
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    16,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have no wish to offend but the reality is that anyone wearing a TT Rolex has spent a lot of money to make themselves look cheap. They just have, simple has that.

    I think TTs are the reason why a lot of people think that anyone who wears a Rolex is a flash git.

    If you wear a Rolex, it's got to be either SS or all gold.

    Just my humble opinion.
    Yet another page from the 'Gospel according To Mick,' I`m laughing so much I`m struggling to type.

    Sometimes he posts sense and I agree with him, sometimes he posts sense and I don`t agree........ sometimes he posts utter bollocks and I wonder whether even he agrees with himself!

    I`ll let y'all decide which category this belongs in......have to say I always enjoy Mick's posts , sometimes for the wrong reasons.

  22. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have no wish to offend but the reality is that anyone wearing a TT Rolex has spent a lot of money to make themselves look cheap. They just have, simple has that.

    I think TTs are the reason why a lot of people think that anyone who wears a Rolex is a flash git.

    If you wear a Rolex, it's got to be either SS or all gold.

    Just my humble opinion.
    You might be onto something. I had a black TT Sub for a while and I am cheap. Never thought it made me look cheap but I never came to terms with the bracelet, which I always found too loud, so sold it.

    Not quite sure going 'all gold' solves the flash git perception, however. Cheap flash git, maybe?

  23. #73
    Come on Mick, full gold is very Jimmy Saville or a second hand car dealer - all gilt and flash as Pete Townsend once wrote.

    TT can be very classy and no it doesn't make the wearer a flash git, especially these days when everyone one knows that the cheapest metal is the most expensive.

  24. #74
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    16,397
    On a slightly more serious note, Omega did some nice TT Seamaster Pros in the past, with a TT version of the Bond bracelet that's very restrained.

    Here's a rough photo of my TT collection taken a while back.....still got them all too! The pre-Bond Seamaster Pro features brushed gold centre links, a far more subtle look than the bimetal Rolex Oysters. The links on the 70s Constellation have now been refinished to the original brushed look too.

    Hopefully Mick won't find these too offensive


  25. #75
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by LorneG View Post
    Dooh, thought for a second I was on the Pistonheads forum and someone was asking if a 50+yo chap can drive a TT without looking like a pillock.

    I was going to reply that of course a middle aged man car drive a TT as it so happens that I'm 52 and use one as my commuter car! In my defence though, this particular TT started off as my wife's car when the kids were small enough to fit in the back. Wind forward 14 or 15 years and the same kids are now learning to drive in it.

    And the Pistonheads way of photographing of a watch (quite warm for the beginning of Dec):

    Only 113K on the clock too, she's only just run in. Would have gone manual though :)

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by WillHarris2306; 4th December 2018 at 19:25.

  26. #76
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, England, or somewhere else
    Posts
    6,573
    Blog Entries
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have no wish to offend but the reality is that anyone wearing a TT Rolex has spent a lot of money to make themselves look cheap. They just have, simple has ...
    I have to disagree with your opinion there Mick. I didnít.

    Case in point: I was wearing my TT Yachtmaster in Calif USA this year and got very admiring glances from an attractive girl - she liked the watch too - and specifically wanted a closer look (at the watch). Perhaps she was just after my money.

    Martyn.

  27. #77
    I'm in the demographic and like the look of quite a few of the watches above, but if I had a PM TT I'd just be uncomfortable about wearing it out and about, I think. It would just sit in the box, and get moved on quite quickly. And anything plated would have to be a no from me: I'm not sure which of the above are which.

    And as to tattoos, I'm utterly baffled as to why anyone (outside people for whom ink has deep-rooted cultural significance) lets themselves be permanently marked by an 'artist'. So it's base metals, bare skin, porridge and mediocrity for me, then.

  28. #78
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    2,558
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I have to disagree with your opinion there Mick. I didnít.

    Case in point: I was wearing my TT Yachtmaster in Calif USA this year and got very admiring glances from an attractive girl - she liked the watch too - and specifically wanted a closer look (at the watch). Perhaps she was just after my money.

    Martyn.
    I just hope your wife doesn't check in here.

    It is all a question of taste. I was once queueing up minding my own business in the local AD wearing a Rolex 16710 with the black / red bezel and a Jubilee bracelet. Some old chap also in the Queue and in his very late seventies walked up to me and told me my watch was "unbecoming" because it was rather flashy. He then turned on his heels and walked away. He was wearing an all gold Daytona.

    I found that quite funny.

  29. #79
    Master shalako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    3,804
    Absolutely nothing wrong with TT watches, some people will like them, some won’t but sweeping statements stereo typing people that wear them is ridiculous IMHO. I don’t currently own a TT Rolex but fancy getting the new Root beer Everose TT GMT at some point, what I can say is that I owned a Rolex TT GMT 116713 up until about 6 months ago and got more compliments wearing that watch than I ever did wearing all my other watches combined.

  30. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by shalako View Post
    Absolutely nothing wrong with TT watches, some people will like them, some wonít but sweeping statements stereo typing people that wear them is ridiculous IMHO. I donít currently own a TT Rolex but fancy getting the new Root beer Everose TT GMT at some point, what I can say is that I owned a Rolex TT GMT 116713 up until about 6 months ago and got more compliments wearing that watch than I ever did wearing all my other watches combined.
    But making sweeping generalisations is half the fun! Nearly all my favourite posts begin with the words "I don't wish to cause offence ..." And if it's a watch I've owned, all the more so!

    Nothing better to maintain an appropriate perspective than the certainty that your carefully 'curated' collection of WIS-approved watches makes you look a complete 'w*nker, t*sser, pleb, snob, arriviste, insert your derogatory term of choice" in the eyes of at least someone! It's all good fun as we long as we don't take it too seriously.

  31. #81
    Master spuds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,255
    I'm 49 and until last year owned a blue two-tone Sub': admittedly I'm a bit 'old skool Essex' and I run a glorified skip yard so conclude from that what you will.

    The perfect sunny-holiday watch IMO and probably the only one I've ever regretted selling.

  32. #82
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, England, or somewhere else
    Posts
    6,573
    Blog Entries
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I just hope your wife doesn't check in here.

    It is all a question of taste. I was once queueing up minding my own business in the local AD wearing a Rolex 16710 with the black / red bezel and a Jubilee bracelet. Some old chap also in the Queue and in his very late seventies walked up to me and told me my watch was "unbecoming" because it was rather flashy. He then turned on his heels and walked away. He was wearing an all gold Daytona.

    I found that quite funny.
    It was a wind up. (Pun intended)

    watch in question.

    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 5th December 2018 at 18:40.

  33. #83
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    2,558
    If you are using that to pull some fit bit of totty, the odds are stacked against you.

  34. #84
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, England, or somewhere else
    Posts
    6,573
    Blog Entries
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    If you are using that to pull some fit bit of totty, the odds are stacked against you.




    .

  35. #85
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,898
    I bought my first TT watch just this year... itís a firm favourite and gets a lot of use..






  36. #86
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I bought my first TT watch just this year... itís a firm favourite and gets a lot of use..





    Funnily enough, I was just about to reference your watch before you posted. Iíve been mildly obsessed with it since you first put it up. Ití was the first time I looked at TT and saw the appeal. Very close to buying the same watch, although Iíd like to see the 41 with sundust in the metal before I finally make a decision.


    Watch finder posted a video yesterday making the case for TT watches. With one caveat. That It need to be rose gold.

  37. #87
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Oafley Jones View Post
    Funnily enough, I was just about to reference your watch before you posted. Iíve been mildly obsessed with it since you first put it up. Ití was the first time I looked at TT and saw the appeal. Very close to buying the same watch, although Iíd like to see the 41 with sundust in the metal before I finally make a decision.


    Watch finder posted a video yesterday making the case for TT watches. With one caveat. That It need to be rose gold.
    Cheers.... well for what itís worth, I was convinced Iíd get the 41mm, Iím so glad I tried them both, and for me it was immediately obvious that 36mm was the correct choice.. my wrist is 7.25Ē so I think I could have got away with the larger watch, but it just didnít do it for me..
    The fact that the 36 was over £1k cheaper swung it....

    Just for comparison sake, here is the 36mm DJ next to a Daytona the size may surprise you.. I wear the DJ way more than the Daytona, I just love it on the wrist..👍👍


  38. #88
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    Cheers.... well for what itís worth, I was convinced Iíd get the 41mm, Iím so glad I tried them both, and for me it was immediately obvious that 36mm was the correct choice.. my wrist is 7.25Ē so I think I could have got away with the larger watch, but it just didnít do it for me..
    The fact that the 36 was over £1k cheaper swung it....

    Just for comparison sake, here is the 36mm DJ next to a Daytona the size may surprise you.. I wear the DJ way more than the Daytona, I just love it on the wrist..

    My local Rolex AD has the usual mix of PM and TT in the window and right in the middle sits a champagne dialled datejust. If it wasnít for the price underneath, Iíd have sworn it was a 41. Honestly, Iím not convinced they havenít put the larger watch there by mistake.

  39. #89
    Journeyman ChromeJob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC US
    Posts
    244
    Just watched a Watchfiner & Co video on YT about TT watches that use rose gold as a highlight. Lovely watches on display, and good points made about how rose gold is a warmer, less stark contrast to SS.

  40. #90
    Journeyman Oracle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Nantwich England
    Posts
    184
    I'm offended!!

    I don't have a TT Rolex but I am a lot older.

    Does that mean that my s&w Datejust 41 is too young on me (even though the dark rhodium dial tones well with my grey hair)?

  41. #91
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Bury, UK
    Posts
    1,038
    Anyone remember Tridor Rolexes? I saw one recently and in the metal it looked lovely. The owner had been after one for years - he saw them when growing up and found one at a good price

    https://watchandbullion.com/tridor/

  42. #92
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    London/Surrey - UK
    Posts
    206
    i do love the TT sub / blue dial - first watch I bought, and would buy it again tomorrow

  43. #93
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    London/Surrey - UK
    Posts
    206
    i do love the TT sub / blue dial - first watch I bought, and would buy it again tomorrow

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •