timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TakeTime Project

Master
    Blog Entries

TakeTime Project

Afternoon.
    Having cleared this with Eddie, I am now throwing myself upon your mercy to help me make a project I’ve got a success. Please take a few minutes to read through this as I hope it can turn into something special.

The Plan:
    With apologies to stefaulkner, as this somewhat steps on the toes of his Holiday watch thread, I hope to send a watch around the world. Not so much in terms of exotic holidays but more unique experiences. It’ll be in circulation for a little over a year then shall be auctioned off with the proceeds going to charity, (The fundraiser will be seeing a share).

The Reason:
    As some of you may know, my cousin lost a close family member last year. His name was Matthew Hadden and you can read about him here.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...ncer__aged_28/

I only met him once or twice but think him to be a rather inspirational chap. Sat over a beer with my cousin one night, we got to talking about doing something in his memory. This was where the idea of TakeTime took shape.

The Concept:
    The fundraising element of this is almost secondary. The main force behind TakeTime is to raise awareness of a message that was close to Matthew’s heart.
    It sounds silly, but how many of us actually take time out to appreciate what we have? To do something for no other reason than it makes us happy?
    A walk through the park. Sitting in the back garden and listening to birdsong. Picking up the phone and giving your old aunt a ring.
    In the most part, we keep our heads down and slog away, trundling through life with some hopeful notion that we’ll have all the time in the world once we retire.
    Nothing wrong with hard work and ambition but it’s all about perspective. Ask a room full of young university graduates what they want out of life and you’ll likely hear answers like ‘A 6 bed house’ or ‘A Ferrari’
    Ask the same question to a group of patients in a hospice. Which do you think will have a better handle on what matters?

Perhaps it is better summed up in Mathews own words:
    “Look after yourself and your well-being, mentally and physically – make sure you talk about any issues with the right people.
    “Value life because there’s not enough of it – appreciate seeing friends, eating your favourite meal with family, going to the cinema.
    “Put your phone down, go out for a walk and appreciate the silly things, go dancing with your friends and engage with your community.

The Watch:
    I had a loose wish list for the watch, 200M+ WR, tough enough to take a few bangs, suitable for use on a NATO for security. I popped in to my local watch shop to see what they stocked with those criteria and an amazing thing happened. One of the owners basically told me to pick out anything I liked, and it would be on them. Completely free of charge. This is a shop that sells Omega / Breitling etc so to say I was blown away was an understatement.
    I thought about which watch Matthew would choose for himself. Not too flashy, good quality and decent value. There was only really one answer in my mind, a Seiko.
    True, an Omega might have brought in more at auction but as said above, it’s about Matthew’s message first and foremost, (also wasn’t keen on the risk involved in sending an Omega or Breitling around the world!)
    Perusing the range, there was a standout model for me:

A splash of colour in the bezel, an iconic design and looks great on a NATO.

A quick visit to the engravers to add a little touch personal to Matthew and we were sorted!

The Hope:
    I’d love to get this watch as far as possible. To do all the things Matthew didn’t get the chance to do. I want it scuba diving. I want it up a mountain. I want it flying a plane across the Atlantic. Anything you can think of that might spread the message, please put it forward.
    At this stage, it’s more an expression of interest and once I can see what’s what, I’ll get together some kind of plan.
    I think it would be appropriate to auction the watch off on June 18th 2019, (Matthew’s 30th) so we have plenty of time to make this amazing.

Firstly, to CS Bedfords of Ruislip who donated the watch. Often with watch buying, it becomes a race to the bottom, finding the cheapest price from some faceless internet company. I think sometimes the value of a face to face deal, where relationships are built over time gets forgotten. They have also told me they will contact Seiko UK to see if they will put their online might behind the project.

Obviously, a massive thanks to Eddie. He has nurtured this amazing community and this sort of thing just simply wouldn’t exist with out it. Members of TZ have already been more than generous in relation to Matthew’s fundraising page also.

Also, thanks for those of you that have got this far! I know it’s a long thread but hopefully one worth finishing.

Finally, thanks to Matthew himself. He has instilled in me my new Mantra ‘Value life because there’s not enough of it.

Matthew Hadden: June 18th 1989 – December 6th 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Dave, what a brilliant idea.

Others will have far more daring and exotic places to take the watch, but I will be in Skye at the end of May if you would like it to visit somewhere that clearly mattered to Matthew.

I’d be happy to take it swimming with whale sharks (hopefully!) at Ningaloo reef (western Australia) at the end of April or running the Noosa half marathon (Queensland) at the end of May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'm off to Val d'Isere in the Alps at the beginning of March - happy to have this accompany me.
    Last edited by Pelicans; 20th February 2018 at 17:20.

That's a nice idea
    I am off the Zimbabwe in August, I am bound to be swimming in the Zambezi with the hippos and crocs at some point. Happy to take it with me.

Master
    What a lovely idea. I'm off to Lapland in the middle of March to try to see the Northern Lights (admittedly a whistle-stop trip but staying in a glass igloo), but if that's too soon I'll still happily watch this thread with interest to see what travels the watch goes on.

A lovely sentiment and intention!
    Last edited by andy100; 20th February 2018 at 19:53.

I am visiting a cousin in Munich later this year. I am happy to take it to the October Fest and check that it's lager proof. Well done to the company who donated it and I hope the watch travels well.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all so far :)
    Keep them coming and I'll get a schedule drawn up.

Journeyman
    I'll be in Los Angeles and possibly Mammoth Mountain for skiing (if there are a few dumps by mid March) for Easter and the week after.

Perhaps too soon for the schedule, but bon voyage for the watch nonetheless!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Will give it a month in the saturation chamber when I contract again.

mike

How about on the back of a tunnel boring machine under Dubai

Master
    Blog Entries
    Excellent, keep 'em coming!

I am boring and don't go on adventures, but this is a wonderful concept so good luck to the watch and its travels!

Craftsman
    24-28 March I’m in Paris with my good lady, ascending the Eiffel Tower, followed by climbing the O2 in London ,March 30th, would be honoured to join this venture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exceptional idea! Please count me in for, well, my homeland, still a pretty cool place to visit - Transylvania. Additionally, part of this summer will be dedicated yet again to Tuscany.
    Last edited by Wooster; 22nd February 2018 at 21:33.

I've only just spotted this Dave, it would be a pleasure to be involved. I think there may be a clash but I could take it to Easter Island for Easter Sunday if other participants are willing to adjust. Quite remote and unusual.

Cheers, Matthew

Journeyman
    Easter Island sounds a much better suggestion for Easter than my offer of Los Angeles and possibly Mammoth Mountain!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I can only take it camping to France in the summer I'm afraid, but we do get up to interesting stuff with the kids so more than happy to take it along

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I've only just spotted this Dave, it would be a pleasure to be involved. I think there may be a clash but I could take it to Easter Island for Easter Sunday if other participants are willing to adjust. Quite remote and unusual.

Cheers, Matthew
    Unfortunately for this to work it would need to be winging it's way to me fairly early on in March, but obviously it would also tick off Colombia on the way. If it happened to reach me by 19 March I could take it to the world's most dangerous city as well, and/or if I held on to it until mid-April I could take it to the highest capital city in the world.

Exceptional idea and a very inspiring post. No special trips planned here but thanks for this and all the best of luck on making this happen. I am sure it will succeed with the help of some of the members here and look forward to reading about its adventures here.

Master
    Unfortunately for this to work it would need to be winging it's way to me fairly early on in March, but obviously it would also tick off Colombia on the way. If it happened to reach me by 19 March I could take it to the world's most dangerous city as well, and/or if I held on to it until mid-April I could take it to the highest capital city in the world.
    The 19 March is the date I go to Lapland, but to be totally honest your suggested destinations and range of travel sound like it'd get a few more sights and miles under "it's belt" than our whistle-stop two day trip!

Of course, it just means I've an excuse to think of other exotic holiday destinations to suggest to the missus now! ;)

Thanks for the understanding, I think that the Easter Island trip is a good opportunity to get it somewhere remote and fascinating, and clock up a good few miles. Caracas and/or La Paz would be a bonus as they are both unique in their own ways but I wouldn't want it tied up with me for too long given the (unsurprising) number of offers to take on some wonderful experiences already. Of course I'm happy to go with whatever Dave feels is best. M

Master
    Thanks for the understanding, I think that the Easter Island trip is a good opportunity to get it somewhere remote and fascinating, and clock up a good few miles. Caracas and/or La Paz would be a bonus as they are both unique in their own ways but I wouldn't want it tied up with me for too long given the (unsurprising) number of offers to take on some wonderful experiences already. Of course I'm happy to go with whatever Dave feels is best. M
    Seeing as Easter Island is another place i'd love to visit in my lifetime, happy to let the watch go there! :)

Craftsman
    I'm going to New York mid-October for a wedding on Ellis Island then possibly up to the Catskills. I'd be more than happy to take it with me.

I was thinking of taking it somewhere "interesting" next week but it sounds like it should be on its way to you first. I'll probably go again at some point.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

There’s some great places here but as it’s a dive watch I think it needs to go in sat with seadog

Master
    If nothing more interesting comes up until then, I can take it rock climbing at the beginning of June.

If the project is still running next January I can (probably) also take it ice climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I was thinking of taking it somewhere "interesting" next week but it sounds like it should be on its way to you first. I'll probably go again at some point.
    I've similar feelings about Caracas and La Paz so I wouldn't worry too much about those. Easter Island is a one-off but I'm not off there until 27 March so even allowing 3 weeks to get the watch to me it could perhaps work out to have a little jaunt to your interesting location first.

I've also remembered that we have a trip to the Galapagos from 29 June - 5 July, certainly a possible opportunity to get it wet and amongst some unusual wildlife.

Master
    I've similar feelings about Caracas and La Paz so I wouldn't worry too much about those. Easter Island is a one-off but I'm not off there until 27 March so even allowing 3 weeks to get the watch to me it could perhaps work out to have a little jaunt to your interesting location first.

I've also remembered that we have a trip to the Galapagos from 29 June - 5 July, certainly a possible opportunity to get it wet and amongst some unusual wildlife.
    Can I come with you on all these interesting trips? I'm happy to wear the watch and carry your bags! Sounds like you've got some amazing places lined up to visit :)

sounds like a great project mate.
    if you ever want it to do a whistle stop tour of NZ just say the word, plenty of us down here would be happy to pass it from north to south and everywhere in between

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    Can I come with you on all these interesting trips? I'm happy to wear the watch and carry your bags! Sounds like you've got some amazing places lined up to visit :)
    We are very fortunate in that respect and I'm eternally grateful for the opportunities that we've been given. We're conscious that our circumstances will change and we try to make the most of any situation. Matthew Hadden's inspirational outlook highlights how important it is to appreciate what you have, where you are and who you are with, at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by andy100 View Post
    You haven't been to Caracas, have you?

In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Craftsman
    What a wonderful idea.I'm in Bangkok from mid march and then Koh Samui, I'd be honoured to take it.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Overwhelmed by the responses so far, thank you.

I've made a basic website and set up a Google calendar that I will post a link to early next week.
    I'm waiting to hear back from Matt's family as to when they want it for a few bits. I've also got a relative in the RAF that should hopefully be able to swing something cool!

I've had PM's from Carlton-Browne and Mr. Curta so am working through logistics to get the ball rolling with these two.

To answer a couple of questions on timescales, it'll likely be auctioned off in June 2019

Thanks
    Dave

Master
    We are very fortunate in that respect and I'm eternally grateful for the opportunities that we've been given. We're conscious that our circumstances will change and we try to make the most of any situation. Matthew Hadden's inspirational outlook highlights how important it is to appreciate what you have, where you are and who you are with, at all times.
    Very true!

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    You haven't been to Caracas, have you?
    Good point!

I am going through the Panama Canal in April and lapping Silverstone and Donington a few times if you want it to takes those trips.

I'm also in Dublin Paris Bangkok Hong Kong and possibly Basle during the course of the year..

JW

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Right,
    Firstly, thanks once more for all the offers so far.

If I could ask a favour? I've set up a website and email address now.

https://www.thetaketimeproject.com

Thetaketimeproject@gmail.com

Would everyone that wants to get involved mind emailing me with a few details. Basically, the dates you want, where you are going, and crucially, where you are, (so I can work out postage times).
    Some of you have also mentioned you could have the watch in it's 'downtime', (so between things).
    This will make planning a hell of a lot easier as I have a few non forum members doing things too. It also means you're not posting exact travel dates on a public forum!

Once I've got everyone's dates in, I can update the Google calendar and post a link here so everyone knows what's going on.

Thanks and if we can pull off even half of what's been offered, it's going to be an awesome project!

Dave

Master
    Blog Entries
    As I'm sure this will be a recurring thing, does anyone know of a decent, (and cheap), international courier?

At the minute, I'm looking at sending the watch from England to Ibiza and it is coming up at about £50 via Parcel Force. Any better alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    As I'm sure this will be a recurring thing, does anyone know of a decent, (and cheap), international courier?

At the minute, I'm looking at sending the watch from England to Ibiza and it is coming up at about £50 via Parcel Force. Any better alternatives?
    Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed with extra insurance cover upgrade?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    Royal Mail International Tracked and Signed with extra insurance cover upgrade?
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

It's an issue that I often have to contend with and I've not found an option that is both inexpensive and swift. I have access to the BFPO which costs the same as UK postage but has a two to three week delivery timescale so I usually resort to asking visitors to bring things over, which fortunately is at least once a month.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I suppose the hope is that most people are uk based and there is enough time to post from home between jaunts.

I suppose the hope is that most people are uk based and there is enough time to post from home between jaunts.
    I think that those of us based overseas will do our best to find the most efficient way to move the watch around. Many of us have good opportunities to take it on those interesting experiences that will boost awareness of the message, so it will be worth the effort. I'll do my best to line things up with visitors to/from the UK (as with our Galapagos excursion).

Blog Entries
    Leaning Tower if Pisa in a few weeks??

Great and moving thread.

I can dip it in the Ganges next week if you like?

Master

I've only ever used RM to send a few items to Europe, but seemed a reliable method. Just a tip that my friendly post office clerk told me, that the International Tracked & Signed can actually be cheaper AND offers more tracking than the 'lower' International Tracked tier.

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/sending-mail

Just bumping this up to the top.

I have the handsome watch in my possession and it's coming with me to a flying visit to Calcutta.

Dave's got a great idea here and I'm absolutely positive we can get this watch around the world several times over. Sign up and get it moving!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Andy.

If I could just request again that everyone who has kindly offered to help with this, ping me an email at

Thetaketimeproject@gmail.com

Then I can sort out a bit of a plan.

Cheers
    Dave

Blog Entries
    I can take it away with me later on in the year mate, will message you.
    Last edited by ditchvisitor; 10th March 2018 at 10:33.

Just wanted to reply and say that this is a brilliant idea. What a worthy thing to do in memory of an inspirational and seemingly very decent gent.
    At the end of these adventures that watch; will truly be the most desirable watch in existence and I mean that literally, the continuation and maintenance of life in adverse circumstances.It seems so fitting.