closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 1989 Watch for Wife

Craftsman

1989 Watch for Wife

Hi guys,

I’d like to buy my wife a birth year watch, she’s slim so nothing too large, let’s say no more than £3k - I’ve been looking at Rolex but nothing too bling. Something not too dressy but something for all occasions. She’s an Apple Watch wearer mostly.

I’m looking for inspiration!

Trades should be in SC.

Any indication of price bracket?
    If she can get away with a smaller men’s watch a simple date just tends to look nice and can be worn on the bracelet or leather and won’t break the bank if sensible.
    Watches from the 80s / 90s tend to look like watches of that era and have dated horribly IMO

As above, most I found from a quick search looked hideous. This Tudor was passable (bracelet would need tightening / replacing).
    https://www.1stdibs.com/en-gb/jewelr...id-j_20017322/

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnlover View Post
    Any indication of price bracket?
    OP states up to £3k.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Trades should be in SC.
    I see what you did there. Very good.

Sent from my SM-A145R using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Suggest you include her in the decision, no point buying something to surprise her just for the sake of it being a 1989 watch (perhaps).

Does she really want a mechanical automatic?........at the risk of generalising most women prefer the convenience of quartz watches, I've just serviced a Chopard automatic for a lady and she's complained that it 'stops overnight', that's because she doesn`t understand how it works and she's not active enough to keep it fully wound. Quartz has many advantages in this respect.

I`ve stated many times that I`m not a fan of the birth-year thing, utterly pointless in my opinion. It might work if you genuinely like watches from that era like me, born in '58 I like vintage 50s/60s watches, but I don't own a 'birth year' watch and I`ve no urge to.

Might be worth rethinking this, £3K is a lot of money to spend on something that's mediocre and doesn`t quite hit the spot. Buying older waches is a fraught with difficulty, aiming for a specific year compounds the issue, frankly it's madness.

If she wants a Rolex my advice is to find a nice 31mm Datejust and forget about the year, not easy to find unfortunately and the good ones aren`t cheap, but a Rolex worth buying will never be cheap. Recent service history with paperwork from Rolex or a Rolex accredited indy is worth more than box and papers in my opinion, but if buying such a watch be sure it has all the bracelet links it should have. Often the links get lost with the box.

Ignore the naysayers, if you'd like to buy her a birth year watch, go for it.

A nice quartz could be a good shout though.