closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rodania 5389 B. Worth fixing?

Journeyman

Rodania 5389 B. Worth fixing?

I was having a dig around in my man drawer earlier and found an old, broken Rodania. Same as this one (not my pic)

It doesn't wind, the crown just ratchets around, but if I tap it, it runs for a few seconds.

I don't have a personal attachment to it, but think it would make a nice dress watch. I have no idea if it's worth getting fixed or not.

What do you guys think?

Grand Master
    Most likely it'll need a new mainspring and service, you'd probably struggle to get the cost back selling it. Ideal project watch for someone who's just learned the skills.

Paul

It can definitely be repaired but, as has been said, it depends on whether you think it's worth it or not.

It's a nice looking watch though...

Journeyman
    Thanks, I'm not thinking of selling it, wouldn't have a clue how much it's worth anyway, even if it were running properly.

Like Ordo says, it's a nice looking thing, and would make a change from the Diver/ W10 style I usually wear.

I'll ask a couple of watch repair places for quotes...

Journeyman
    Hmm. Since I started mauling around with it (took the back off and blew into it (I know, I know )) it's kept running... Best part of an hour now. Wonder if it was fully wound but frozen, and my heavy handed messing about has freed it up?

Ok, normally you shouldn't use your mouth to "blow into it" because saliva shouldn't get near a watch mechanism but too late for that...

You said there's a winding problem or is that gone ?

Master
    I can't add anything useful but I think it's a very nice looking watch.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post
    You said there's a winding problem or is that gone ?
    It's still there, the watch ran down/stopped after about 3 hours and won't wind up again.

In the meantime I gave the acrylic crystal a bit of a polish, which made a big difference.

It really is a pretty little thing, I think I'll have it resurrected if it's not stupid money.

Journeyman
    Well, my 15yo daughter just came in and saw the watch on the coffee table and decided she loves it, she said it would be really nice on a white strap, and for a girl to wear, I can't argue with that.

It does wear very small on me, and I'd be chuffed if it got some proper wrist time. So decision made for me. It's getting repaired.

Bloody kids.

It could be just one part that is damaged or it could simply need a service... Good luck!

Journeyman
    If it's getting repaired, it's probably worth having a service done at the same time, I suppose. Probably won't cost too much more if the watch is already being taken apart.