closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ANOTHER mass killing in US

You never know if these are true or not, but if so - I sense a lot of law suits.

https://townhall.com/columnists/annc...eline-n2455793

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    You never know if these are true or not, but if so - I sense a lot of law suits.

https://townhall.com/columnists/annc...eline-n2455793
    From that article: "But Cruz was never arrested. He wasn't referred to law enforcement. He wasn't even expelled."

See Nikolas Cruz for: "The orphan was expelled for disciplinary reasons from the high school he has now confessed to attacking."

There’s been lots of talk of bump stocks post the Vegas and Florida shootings. I’d not seen them before but I found this interesting. The difference is night and day - https://youtu.be/K2IOZ-5Nk5k

See www.dhs.gov for this useful pdf pocket card.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Stupid statement. So, you live in a forest, sticks everywhere. How the feck do you get rid of all the sticks?

Quote Originally Posted by 33JS View Post
    Stupid statement. So, you live in a forest, sticks everywhere. How the feck do you get rid of all the sticks?
    Whip everyone into paranoia and arming themselves with those sticks, rather than changing their attitude to sticks?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Whip everyone into paranoia and arming themselves with those sticks, rather than changing their attitude to sticks?
    They've got sticks. More sticks than they know what to do with. Legal sticks and phenomenal volumes of illegal sticks.

Anyone who thinks they can remove or uninvent sticks in a land of forest-dwellers is beyond naive...

The problem is doing something practical that makes a difference. I thinking an impossible task, quite frankly.

Remember, unlike any other country of stick-obsessives, these ones are mental enough to think nothing of using them!

They've got sticks. More sticks than they know what to do with. Legal sticks and phenomenal volumes of illegal sticks.

Anyone who thinks they can remove or uninvent sticks in a land of forest-dwellers is beyond naive...

The problem is doing something practical that makes a difference. I thinking an impossible task, quite frankly.

Remember, unlike any other country of stick-obsessives, these ones are mental enough to think nothing of using them!

You convinced me. Nothing we can do about it, so let them continue hitting each others with their sticks.

You happen to work for the NSA (National Stick Organisation)?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    You convinced me. Nothing we can do about it, so let them continue hitting each others with their sticks.

You happen to work for the NSA (National Stick Organisation)?
    I'm not justifying the situation or supporting it, I honestly for the life of me see no practical way of turning it around now - I think it's too far gone to actually sort. The mentality of the people and the sheer numbers of firearms make it simply impossible!

I'm not justifying the situation or supporting it, I honestly for the life of me see no practical way of turning it around now - I think it's too far gone to actually sort. The mentality of the people and the sheer numbers of firearms make it simply impossible!
    OK then, let's build a wall around them and wait until they have killed each other? Oh, wait...

Master
    OK then, let's build a wall around them and wait until they have killed each other? Oh, wait...
    Don't be daft, but seriously, what would you do? I think there's been lots of soundbites, but no serious, useful, practical answers. How do you remove hundreds of millions of easily concealed items from hundreds of millions of people determined to keep hold of them? Especially when the vast majority are unregistered...

I'm all ears and would love go hear how it could be done. ...given the UK's failure to recover thousands of multi-shot shotguns back in the mid 80's! They're still circulating.

Don't be daft, but seriously, what would you do? I think there's been lots of soundbites, but no serious, useful, practical answers. How do you remove hundreds of millions of easily concealed items from hundreds of millions of people determined to keep hold of them? Especially when the vast majority are unregistered...

I'm all ears and would love go hear how it could be done. ...given the UK's failure to recover thousands of multi-shot shotguns back in the mid 80's! They're still circulating.
    I am not saying that all those guns can be removed easily - but that cannot be the reason to give up on the topic altogether and to continue to provide even more automatic assault rifles into the pool. Fact of the matter, many recent massacres were committed by people who bought their guns legally. Would they have bought them illegally if they weren't easily available around the corner? Maybe, but they'd commit a crime and there was a chance they would be caught at it. It's also about the public stance - if the government doesn't care how many guns are in circulation, who will?

Craftsman
    I may be being simplistic but if our system of controls was adopted by the US so that everyone needed a legitimate purpose to own each firearm and needed character witnesses when applying for or renewing a licence a lot of these issues would be avoided. I am a shooter and am against the knee jerk reactions which banned our handguns and self loading rifles but think that something could be done with America. The biggest issue would be with the unregistered firearms with which the country is awash, and the states which allow fully automatic weapons which really aren't required anywhere.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Master
    I am not saying that all those guns can be removed easily - but that cannot be the reason to give up on the topic altogether and to continue to provide even more automatic assault rifles into the pool. Fact of the matter, many recent massacres were committed by people who bought their guns legally. Would they have bought them illegally if they weren't easily available around the corner? Maybe, but they'd commit a crime and there was a chance they would be caught at it. It's also about the public stance - if the government doesn't care how many guns are in circulation, who will?
    I'm never saying give up. But, I'm a realist. Come up with a strong, practical measure - great!
    Politico sound-bites...FRO!
    I really, really don't think there's a solution here. As long as there's literally millions of bad guys with guns, you cannot simply remove the personal protection ones, or there'd be carnage.
    I've seen gunshot victims and I've been held up at gunpoint. I don't take the subject lightly. There are places in the world where I'd want one for protection, quite frankly.

NRA Files Suit Challenging Florida Gun Control:

The National Rifle Association today announced that it has filed a lawsuit challenging the State of Florida’s newly-enacted ban on the purchase of firearms by young adults between the ages of 18-21.

Florida’s ban is an affront to the Second Amendment, as it totally eviscerates the right of law-abiding adults between the ages of 18 and 21 to keep and bear arms. The ban is particularly offensive with respect to young women, as women between the ages of 18 and 21 are much less likely to engage in violent crime than older members of the general population who are unaffected by the ban.

Who could possibly argue in the face of such logic.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

ANOTHER mass killing in US

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Who could possibly argue in the face of such logic.
    Well they kind of have a point, the ban should be (extended) for males between (18) and 45, then I think the US would see a fall in shootings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillyCasper; 10th March 2018 at 09:17.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    Well they kind of have a point, the ban should be for males between 15 and 45, then I think the US would see a fall in shootings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    You'd be ok with kids having guns until they're 15?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Worked out ok for Amber Hill!! ( British commonwealth shooter at 15)

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Worked out ok for Amber Hill!! ( British commonwealth shooter at 15)
    Amber Hill is a brilliant example of someone committed to their chosen sport, someone properly supervised and taught in a country with IMHO sensible gun laws.

Thought you'd be back in the depths by now, still getting in some R&R?

ANOTHER mass killing in US

No, edited original post. My point was if FL is going to extend the ban they might as well extend it to the group that does most of the killing. 18-21 males, progress, but not enough. 18-22 females fine, but tend not to be the killers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    NRA Files Suit Challenging Florida Gun Control:
    The National Rifle Association today announced that it has filed a lawsuit challenging the State of Florida’s newly-enacted ban on the purchase of firearms by young adults between the ages of 18-21.

Florida’s ban is an affront to the Second Amendment, as it totally eviscerates the right of law-abiding adults between the ages of 18 and 21 to keep and bear arms. The ban is particularly offensive with respect to young women, as women between the ages of 18 and 21 are much less likely to engage in violent crime than older members of the general population who are unaffected by the ban.

An interesting one, as the NRA appear to be recognising the 18-21yr old demographic, but also that it is predominantly male. I sense the NRA will win the suit, however.

Schools brace for massive student walkouts:

As schools around the country brace for student walkouts following the deadly shooting in Parkland, Florida, principals and superintendents are scrambling to perform a delicate balancing act: How to let thousands of students exercise their First Amendment rights while not disrupting school and not pulling administrators into the raging debate over gun control.

Some have taken a hard line, promising to suspend students who walk out, while others are using a softer approach, working with students to set up places on campus where they can remember the victims of the Florida shooting and express their views about school safety and gun control.

Why Donald Tump Blinked :

Less than two weeks after Donald Trump chided Republican lawmakers for fearing the National Rifle Association and not being ambitious enough in their work to curb gun violence, the President seems to have backed down too.

The pipe dream of passing sweeping gun legislation met its end Sunday with the White House release of a plan that walks back Trump’s support for raising the age to buy some weapons, from 18 to 21, and shelves calls for comprehensive background checks. “Not much political support (to put it mildly)” Trump tweeted Monday.

The climbdown was striking. Just 11 days ago, Trump scolded Sen. Pat Toomey, a Pennsylvania Republican, for not including the age hike in a gun bill. “You know why? Because you’re afraid of the NRA,” Trump scolded Toomey, who braved political peril by introducing background-check legislation, as the press looked on.

But it’s no surprise that Trump’s rhetoric gave way to the tricky realities of gun politics. As the Feb. 14 mass shooting in Parkland, Fla., faded from headlines, the White House realized the president perhaps overstepped on what he was willing to do — and whom he was willing to anger.

While public polls show overwhelming support for action on guns, private polls conducted for Republicans show Trump’s strongest supporters have little interest in that. Trump, who runs the government as if it were a proxy for only his most fervent fans, seemed to go wobbly on the issue. A White House official said Trump still wanted stronger background checks but recognized the risks of alienating his supporters.

Update DJT's Immediate Actions. I read 'assist', ''support', 'encourage', 'calling on', 'requests', 'proposing', 'calling for' etc...not the most active set of "immediate" actions, IMO.
    Last edited by PickleB; 14th March 2018 at 12:35.