closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko SNZG13 and SNZG15

Seiko SNZG13 and SNZG15

Quite fancy one of these, from the Seiko 5 range. The 13 has the polished finish, the 15 the bead blasted. I think other than that they are essentially the same. They have a field/military design but you can't really class them as that due to the lack of precision as a result of being non hackable - in my opinion at least. There's the K or J version. I'm unsure of the difference - but I think from pics I've seen the J (Japanese) version has lumed numerals whereas the K's only have lumed markers.

Anyone any experience of either of these watches? Obviously being just over £100 so not expecting heaven and earth, just wondered if anyone could comment on quality, reliability, how they wear etc?

Cheers.

Hi, the K & J thing is an illness. Exact same watches and I wouldn't get caught up in it.

I tried on one of these as I'm a big SNK fan (I own 3); but SNK is a bit small for me (SNK is the baby brother of the SNZ, but the SNK is a bit more iconic).

Great watches but big for what they are, I really liked the fit/finish but screamed to me that there was a large chapter ring taking up space just to enlarge the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeThoughts View Post
    Hi, the K & J thing is an illness. Exact same watches and I wouldn't get caught up in it.

I tried on one of these as I'm a big SNK fan (I own 3); but SNK is a bit small for me (SNK is the baby brother of the SNZ, but the SNK is a bit more iconic).

Great watches but big for what they are, I really liked the fit/finish but screamed to me that there was a large chapter ring taking up space just to enlarge the watch.

Yeah I quite like the SNK. 38mm watches fit me better too but not sure if they're a tad cheap looking. I know they get good reviews for the price.

My understanding was the difference between the K and J is the lume:

K:

J:

But other than that they are identical (apart from the Made in Japan writing on the dial of the J).

So I guess maybe the question is, is the SNZG worth close to double the cost of the SNK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they did this watch without the Sports, and ideally without the 5 also, I would be on it in a heartbeat. The sports thing absolutely ruins it for me.

'Sports'... Come on. May aswell say 'Cheese'.

Quote Originally Posted by 200mwaterresistant View Post
    If they did this watch without the Sports, and ideally without the 5 also, I would be on it in a heartbeat. The sports thing absolutely ruins it for me.

'Sports'... Come on. May aswell say 'Cheese'.
    The Seiko 5 Sports range has been going for at least fifty years, when the watches had 70m WR. You want them to throw away half a century of heritage just because you don't like the word?

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    The Seiko 5 Sports range has been going for at least fifty years, when the watches had 70m WR. You want them to throw away half a century of heritage just because you don't like the word?
    Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I have to admit it took me a while to get over the '5 Sports' logo. I saw watches I liked the look of, but hated the logo. Thankfully, I'm cured and now have a couple of '5 Sports' watches and they are superb. The build quality and aesthetic for the money can't be beat.

I've now got one of these - the K version of the SNZG13, so no lumerals for me. I paid about £110.

The dial is so busy you scarcely notice the day and date, let alone the 5 Sports bit.

The hands and the indices on the chapter ring are so bold that they rise above all that noise, nice and readable, and the overall visual balance is good.

Aesthetically, the dial design is nothing special, a long way short of the SBCA001, but this isn't a watch for gazing at, transfixed.

The chapter ring sitting on top of the dial seems to be a sheet moulded into three dimensions. Mine seems to have suffered a tiny bit while behind fitted, but not in a way I notice when it's on the wrist.

The case finishing is excellent for the money, a significant step up from the SBCA. The polished sides are a nice touch, without spoiling the overall look. 42mm is never going to be anything other than big, but the lugs are well shaped and the watch sits very well on my wrist.

I've almost no experience of bracelets. The individual pieces are literally more solid than those on my SBCA, but the construction could be tighter. Having said that, the bracelet is comfortable, and easily equal to the task of holding the watch head firmly in place.

The specs for the movement are very loose, but in twelve hours wear yesterday it lost only 6 seconds.

Does that cover it? Here's a photo of it on my 6⅝" wrist:

Last edited by Der Amf; 15th April 2018 at 21:07. Reason: .org to .cc for postimg

Banned

Seiko SNZG13 and SNZG15

I’ve owned one of these and they are amazing watches for the money , they tick so many boxes and have a great movement . You won’t find anything close to this in terms of value for money for under £100 .

You could have a quick look at orient Watches , they have some lovely pieces in this price category too