closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Mazda MX5 RF owners on here?

Master

Any Mazda MX5 RF owners on here?

The wifes car is due to change in March and we have had a brief look at the MX5RF (retractable fastback).

The weather has been so poor over the last 2 weeks we havnt been able to try one. Im working on the principle of trying a convertible in 5 deg C and rain can only have one outcome!

So trawling the net brings a mixed bag of reviews, setting aside weight increase of the roof and £2k cost uplift, the most divisive area is “wind noise” with the roof down. Some reviewers say it booms and causes turbulence, others don’t mention it.

Do we have any RF owners on here, who could advise?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    The wifes car is due to change in March and we have had a brief look at the MX5RF (retractable fastback).

The weather has been so poor over the last 2 weeks we havnt been able to try one. Im working on the principle of trying a convertible in 5 deg C and rain can only have one outcome!

So trawling the net brings a mixed bag of reviews, setting aside weight increase of the roof and £2k cost uplift, the most divisive area is “wind noise” with the roof down. Some reviewers say it booms and causes turbulence, others don’t mention it.

Do we have any RF owners on here, who could advise?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Had my RF for 6 months or so. It isn't a joy of a car and I haven't noticed any turbulence or excessive wind noise with the roof down. I purposely went with the RF to get the best of both worlds, coupe with roof up and standard MX with it down. Great spec, good handling and excellent build quality - could do with another 100hp in my view but then this isn't aimed at the speed junkies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Had my RF for 6 months or so. It isn't a joy of a car
    Did you mean that? In what way.

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

M
    Yes that was puzzling me?

I tried one at a motor show and found it far too small for my average 6'2 (and a half, Phillip!)" frame (I found the standard car and the Fiat a bit tight too). I have a Japanese friend who's a journalist on a car magazine in Tokyo and he said he doesn't find it comfortable either and he didn't think it was a success there. I did hear that over here it was expected to account for a very high percentage of MX-5 sales. It makes sense bearing in mind most buyers would seem to want an occasional convertible but, well, the standard convertible does look extremely well waterproofed. Not an option?

Does it have to be new or if you don't get on with the RF would you and the wife try a Mk3 with the folding hard top?
    "A man of little significance"

M
    Err, no, typo. Its a great car

Quote Originally Posted by Jpshell View Post
    Err, no, typo. Its a great car
    - Makes more sense given the rest of your comments.

Did you compare it to the soft top before buying? If so, did it drive any different?

I must admit, I liked the previous version's folding hardtop, but I'm not sure about the looks of the RF - A neighbour has one, he likes his.

Personal thing of course, but I think it's a shame they don't make a proper coupe with a hatchback (like a 2 seat MGB or Z4 coupe).

M

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    I tried one at a motor show and found it far too small for my average 6'2 (and a half, Phillip!)" frame (I found the standard car and the Fiat a bit tight too). I have a Japanese friend who's a journalist on a car magazine in Tokyo and he said he doesn't find it comfortable either and he didn't think it was a success there. I did hear that over here it was expected to account for a very high percentage of MX-5 sales. It makes sense bearing in mind most buyers would seem to want an occasional convertible but, well, the standard convertible does look extremely well waterproofed. Not an option?

Does it have to be new or if you don't get on with the RF would you and the wife try a Mk3 with the folding hard top?
    Thanks for the comments . At 5’6” and a smaller wife we should be able to fit. Im not suprised a 6’2 because just sitting in the rf in the showroom my head touched the roof lining.

Seems strange to make the inside smaller than the outgoing model, but thats what they did. I would be up for the folding top as in that trim you can select Sand Leather as an option, which looks gorgeous.

I sensed when I was in the showroom that they were pushing the RF more than the standard car, maybe because it is newer, maybe the £2k premium.

I have to say it looks lovely, its the occasional reports of “boomyness” with the roof down ( apparently the same as lowering your rear windows in a conventional car) that I wanted to bottom out. The other thing the testers complain about is the rear pillar intruding when you look over your shoulder. Clearly not the case with the convertible, but coming from a mini there is plenty of rear quarter pillar.

- Makes more sense given the rest of your comments.

Did you compare it to the soft top before buying? If so, did it drive any different?

I must admit, I liked the previous version's folding hardtop, but I'm not sure about the looks of the RF - A neighbour has one, he likes his.

Personal thing of course, but I think it's a shame they don't make a proper coupe with a hatchback (like a 2 seat MGB or Z4 coupe).

M
    I did test both, and to be honest with the roof and windows down I don't think there was much difference. I think the extra roof section when it's folded (not sure what you call them) and with Windows up actually helps reduce wind and turbulence. I think the RF looks like a mini corvette from the side...one of my neighbours thought that's what it was at first glance.

Master
    Bump for this thread as Im going to try and have a test drive, if the temps exceed 3 deg C for East Lancs!
    Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post

I sat in one a Goodwood. Couldn't close the roof with me in it and my elbows were constantly hitting the door and cup holder. I'm 6'3 and 15 stone but my little old Boxster has tons of space in it. Obviously not made for me. I also don't fit in an S2000 but, curiously enough, I do fit in the older MX5s.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    New MX 5’s are both smaller on the outside and inside, an absolute first for modern cars as the increase in size eg Corsa and Polo compared to 10yrs ago.

Master
    Went to Perry's Preston to road test one but having sat in it at 6 feet tall I found it far too cramped,not much storage inside and WTF with the roof not folding completely flat. Didn't even bother with a road test and will be keeping the Mk 3.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Bump for this thread as Im going to try and have a test drive, if the temps exceed 3 deg C for East Lancs!
    Steve
    Was working in Higham today and it certainly felt a damned sight colder than 3 degs!

Craftsman
    As has been previously mentioned, the taller and wider of us need not apply, it is a tight squeeze to say the least! One thing i would add though, if you do believe you're svelte enough to buy and enjoy one of these great looking cars, is to double check what you prospective passenger (if any) thinks of the accommodation - when we looked at one last year, i recall the transmission tunnel encroaching in the passenger foot well significantly more than the drivers side, to the point where i think it would hamper comfort on longer journeys.