closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Daydate, two questions.

Apprentice

My Daydate, two questions.

Firstly as mentioned on my previous and first post, i only wear my watch on special occasions so i have a watch winder. Is once a month through the night (6-8 hours) enough?

Secondly is it correct that the Day and date should not be be changed while the hour or minute hands are between 11 and 1 positions, due to the chance that the day, date, minute or hour hands could be engaged with each other?

Thanks

Doesn't it have a power reserve of 48 hours? Charging it once a month will only keep it running for two days. Also a watch winder will charge it the same as wearing it, so that's fine anytime of day or night.

Master
    AFAIK the PR is 48hours, recommended rotor winds is 650 a day (according to Orbita), most decent watch winders can be set to mimic this then stop. This is so you can leave your watch winder on and your watch on the winder.

Most winders do not run constantly, if yours does I'm sorry to say its a rubbish one.

As to day / date setting
    Avoid changing the date or day after
    setting the time in a counterclockwise
    direction between 4 p.m. and 10.30 p.m.

Which is from the manual you should have with your watch

Master
    The date rule doesn’t apply to Rolex. Not sure about the day though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    The date rule doesn’t apply to Rolex. Not sure about the day though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Er? Read my post above, the info is from the Rolex Day-Date manual

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Er? Read my post above, the info is from the Rolex Day-Date manual

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app
    This is what i have with the watch

Apprentice
    I guess this is telling me about the Day and date setting. Can anyone translate please?

It's a 2001 watch and it looks like it doesn't mention hand positions when setting the Day and date, although it is showing the hands on ten and two.

Last edited by ukgt; 12th February 2018 at 22:56.

Master
    The hands in the pictograms are at 10:10, as to show you as much of the unobstructed dial as possible. Most manufacturers do this, 1. it shows of the brand logo 2. it subconsciously effect you as it's a smile.

As to english instructions
    https://www.rolex.com/content/dam/ro...ay-date_en.pdf

It may not be completely right, as I think it's for the current movement.

But, there are plenty on eBay if you really need an english version. Failing that pop into a Rolex AD and ask them how, although that does carry a risk depending on the competency of the shop staff
    Last edited by nunya; 13th February 2018 at 09:41.

Grand Master
    For a watch that’s only worn on special occassions it makes no sense to store it on a watch winder, it really doesn’t. Just accept that you need to spend a couple of minutes setting the watch when it’s worn.

Paul

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    For a watch that’s only worn on special occassions it makes no sense to store it on a watch winder, it really doesn’t. Just accept that you need to spend a couple of minutes setting the watch when it’s worn.

Paul
    Sorry I did not explain correctly. The two questions are not related.
    I am fine with it running flat and setting the time, day and date when I do wear it. The question was more a concern with leaving the hands in the same position for possibly months which I have heard could lead to a little blip at this point on the watch (a bit like it rusting in a particular position although I know rust is the wrong word but you get my point).
    I was wondering whether just getting the hands, day and date moving once a month for six hours and them finishing in a different position each time would be enough to keep the movement in good condition.
    Hope that makes sense.

Grand Master
    No need to move the hands regularly. Leaving the watch at rest for long periods will do no harm. I think the effect you have in mind is caused by old radium-lumed hands being set in one position for years, there won`t be a problem with anything made over the past 40+ years. The only other effect I can think of is if the watch was left in bright sunlight for a long period of time, but again I think the likelihood of a problem is extremely low.

I remain totally unconvinced that the lubrication of a watch benefits from being run frequently, there's no analogy with other mechanical items such as car engines or gearboxes. The only point I`d make regarding storage is to try and keep watches in a dry environment at sensible temperatures.

As for the risks when quick-setting the day/date, I`ve no experience with these watches so I can`t say either way. As a general rule when setting anything, if you feel any unusual resistance stop turning the crown immediately! It's a good precaution to always use quicksetting procedures slowly and carefully, don`t be tempted to rush and wizz the crown around. Watch parts don`t like moving quickly.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 13th February 2018 at 15:14.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ukgt View Post
    Sorry I did not explain correctly. The two questions are not related.
    I am fine with it running flat and setting the time, day and date when I do wear it. The question was more a concern with leaving the hands in the same position for possibly months which I have heard could lead to a little blip at this point on the watch (a bit like it rusting in a particular position although I know rust is the wrong word but you get my point).
    I was wondering whether just getting the hands, day and date moving once a month for six hours and them finishing in a different position each time would be enough to keep the movement in good condition.
    Hope that makes sense.
    My Daytona sat in a safe for 10 years before I bought it. I wound it up, set the time, and have worn it in rotation ever since. It's +/-2 seconds a day, it's never been serviced, and it's still water tight. Rolex is ROBUST and dependable. You can leave your watch sitting and wear it whenever you feel like.

Master
    there's no analogy with other mechanical items such as car engines or gearboxes.
    That's not exactly true. The vast majority of the wear on an engine is in the first couple rotations after the lubricant has dripped to the oil pan, but before the oil pump has moved it back to the top - hence "pre oilers" on high end modified engines. On the other hand, I doubt there's anything as thin as motor oil floating around a mechancial movement.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    My Daytona sat in a safe for 10 years before I bought it. I wound it up, set the time, and have worn it in rotation ever since. It's +/-2 seconds a day, it's never been serviced, and it's still water tight. Rolex is ROBUST and dependable. You can leave your watch sitting and wear it whenever you feel like.
    Nothing to do with it being a Rolex, any mechanical watch that's been oiled correctly using modern lubricants would behave exactly the same. If I service a vintage Omega, or anything with a modern ETA movement, I`d expect the same, it's all about the lubricants staying where they're intended to be and the fact that modern synthetic lubricants don't seem to degrade if they're not subjected top shearing forces.

Paul

Master
    Nothing to do with it being a Rolex, any mechanical watch that's been oiled correctly using modern lubricants would behave exactly the same. If I service a vintage Omega, or anything with a modern ETA movement, I`d expect the same, it's all about the lubricants staying where they're intended to be and the fact that modern synthetic lubricants don't seem to degrade if they're not subjected top shearing forces.

Paul
    Funny how none of my other watches have performed similarly. In fact, a few of my modern ETA watches have needed two services while every one of my Rolex has needed zero over the same time period. They must have had the wrong lubricants.

Grand Master
    Whatever.......

Apprentice
    Looks like I wasted my money on the winder then lol.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ukgt View Post
    Looks like I wasted my money on the winder then lol.
    They're OK to keep a watch running over a weekend to wear again Mon morning, but long-term they're not a good thing. I`m totally convinced that if a watch is only worn sparingly it doesn`t need servicing anything like as often. Several of mine fall into that category, I have a 2004 Speedmaster Reduced I`ve owned from new and that's showing no signs of needing service, probably because it's probably been worn around 6 weeks per year. Put it on the timegrapher and it still looks fine to me. Conversely, I`ve had watches on the bench at 6 years old and they've been crying out for some TLC, with low amplitude, stiff hand-winding, poor power reserve because the auto-winding isn`t working properly. Such waches have been worn daily, and that's the difference.

Why simulate the effects of 24/7 wear5 simply to have the convenience of the watch running when you decide to wear it?......makes no sense to me.

Sell the winder, someone will buy it.

Paul

Agreed; winders are worse than useless.