closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First concert.

Master
    My first concerts were in 75/76 at The Free Trade Hall Manchester. Can’t remember then all but some were
    Uriah Heap, Ted Nugent, Budgie, Rory Gallagher, Kiss, Lynyrd Skynyrd

Quote Originally Posted by Clem View Post
    The Vetch Field, Swansea.
    The Who and "friends" 12th June 1976
    £4 a tkt and friends included The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Street Walkers, Little Feat and the Outlaws. WidowMaker were supposed to be there also but I can't remember that bit.
    Alex Harvey was superb and with some of the classic Who antics, brilliant!
    I went to the Charlton gig a couple of weeks earlier. Rained all day, image below from the actual gig, I was 14 and travelled down from Liverpool on the day. Only time I saw The Who with Keith Moon, 15 times without over the years.

I was standing over to the right out of shot. Can still remember the lazer beams.

First gig was in 1973 at the Liverpool Empire, Roxy Music supported by a young Leo Sayer dressed as a clown. Christ he was loud.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 18th February 2018 at 18:41.

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Rush, Newcastle City Hall, June 11th 1977. Their first UK tour. And forty years ago tonight, I was back at the same place for my second Rush gig. And unfortunately, about to spend the night, and the following night freezing to death on a bench at Newcastle railway station, because my Mum refused to drive 30 miles to pick me up with ice on the roads.
    I saw them at Hammersmith on the Hemispheres tour 1978, they were so loud. Great band, sadly they called it a day last month.

Journeyman
    Bad Manners - Tolworth Leisure centre circa 1983

Craftsman
    Wishbone Ash in '74 or '75 at the Liverpool Empire. A lad infront of me was removed before the gig even started for spewing up in the stalls (drink or drugs I think)
    I also remember paying £2:75 to see Pink Floyd play DSOTM. I remember the price because it was 25p dearer than all the other major concerts of that era!

Happy days indeed

Rick Wakeman 21 Apr 1976 Hammersmith Odeon.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/rick-...-7bf86a38.html

Master
    Chuck Berry, Liverpool Empire 1976. i was 13! how long ago?!! followed by Rainbow in '77. lots of great gigs followed

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by emgee View Post
    Chuck Berry, Liverpool Empire 1976. i was 13! how long ago?!! followed by Rainbow in '77. lots of great gigs followed

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app
    Think I was there also!

Craftsman
    [QUOTE I also remember paying £2:75 to see Pink Floyd play DSOTM. I remember the price because it was 25p dearer than all the other major concerts of that era! Happy days indeed[/QUOTE]

Vary envious

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
    [QUOTE I also remember paying £2:75 to see Pink Floyd play DSOTM. I remember the price because it was 25p dearer than all the other major concerts of that era! Happy days indeed
    Vary envious[/QUOTE]

In actual fact the band members were all falling out at the that time. After playing DSOTM and the audience were going crazy with adulation David Gilmour, or possibly Roger Waters, bluntly said if we'd all shut up and sit down they would play Meddle - so we did and they did!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    My first concerts were in 75/76 at The Free Trade Hall Manchester. Can’t remember then all but some were
    Uriah Heap, Ted Nugent, Budgie, Rory Gallagher, Kiss, Lynyrd Skynyrd
    I was in the audience with you at 3 of those. 1st night ever in Europe for Kiss who were about to go multi platinum and create the monster some know as Gene $immons Skynyrd I was so-so about but they were on top of the game and about to get bigger - one I should have gone to.

Craftsman
    Queen - A Kind of Magic tour, Maine Road 1996. Belouis Some and Status Quo were the warmups. Should’ve been Inxs but Hutchence had a sore throat. Mind you not as bad as the sore throat he died from years later

Master
    Stevie Wonder, Earls Court, 30/06/1984

I was 16 and went with a mate. Totally hooked and loved live music ever since. Do a couple of gigs per month on average.

Floyd, 1970, Canterbury, taken by my hippie uncle, i was 12.

The Beatles. Bloomington (Minneapolis), Minnesota, USA. August 21, 1965. I was a month before starting college at the University of Minnesota.

BEDLAM!

Hawkwind in Southampton gaumont
    1976 I think

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    The Beatles. Bloomington (Minneapolis), Minnesota, USA. August 21, 1965. I was a month before starting college at the University of Minnesota.

BEDLAM!

Wow. You won the thread.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Master
    is that line of white sticks the PA? No wonder they gave up touring! I was looking at the picture of The Who and thinking how small the stage area is compared to stadium shows now. keith Moon never used a drum riser as I recall except for a few days of a tour and it got scrapped .

9th Dec 1982 Guilford Civic Hall.....The Jam and it was awesome

Latest 27th Feb 2018 Aurora at Hoxton Hall with 13yr old daughter

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Wow. You won the thread.
    Only if he heard any of the music!

M

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I went to the Charlton gig a couple of weeks earlier. Rained all day, image below from the actual gig, I was 14 and travelled down from Liverpool on the day. Only time I saw The Who with Keith Moon, 15 times without over the years.

I was standing over to the right out of shot. Can still remember the lazer beams.

First gig was in 1973 at the Liverpool Empire, Roxy Music supported by a young Leo Sayer dressed as a clown. Christ he was loud.
    Probably my biggest concert miss regret. Never got to see Chapman/Whitney Streetwalkers either, with a very young Nicko McBrain on the sticks!

Great shot!
    Fortunately we had good weather for the gig in Swansea. Lasers were amazing as were the old military search lights.
    Head was buzzing on the bus back home afterwards.

They stayed in the spanking new Hotel Executive, in Sandfields, Port Toilet that weekend and apparently Kieth on arriving in reception asked which floor was his
    I have a recording of the Who playing that day but that's it. I would love to find a recording of some of the other 'Friends'

My Brawd reckons (he was there that day, too!) that an early Rolex gig has been his best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post

Master
    Surprised they stayed in the same hotel - they apparently travelled seperately to avoid 'friction'. Certain members took umbrage at paying for Keiths exploits which led to seperate billings which happens today. I suppose if the drummer is entertaining and ordering vintage brandy by the caseload and the singer wants an early night and a cup of hot water/honey you can see there might be an issue

First concert.

I don’t think Daltrey was much of a hot water/honey man tbh
    But Moon was proper insane
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    First one that I can remember is seeing is Dr Feelgood in the Students Bar on my 22nd birthday (1979). I can still see Wilko prancing about that small stage.

If definitely in 1979, that would probably have been the Solid Senders or the Wilko Johnson band. Gypie Mayo took over from Wilko in the Feelgoods in 1977.

I saw Wilko myself in late '79 at Huddersfield Poly. Great night.

In the late seventies I used to go to a wonderful club in Brum called Barbarella's. I saw many 'unknown' bands there - Dire Straits, After the Fire, XTC, Graham Parker and the Rumour, The Slits, Joe Jackson... but the very first time I went, which would have been late '77 or early '78, I saw Wilko Johnson's Solid Senders.

Iron Maiden, 1986, Edinburgh Playhouse.
    I was 15. lost my voice couldn’t hear very well at school the following day...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK View Post
    but the very first time I went, which would have been late '77 or early '78, I saw Wilko Johnson's Solid Senders.
    The Solid Senders were such a bad vehicle for Wilko, they were not great Musicians (he got rid of the lot of them and formed the Wilko Johnson Band in 80). Wilko was hurting bad from being sacked from the Feelgoods, he gathered these Musicians against others advice. I think he wanted B rate players so he had control, which of course he did have. But it was Musical suicide, he played the Shrimpers Bar (Southend) every month during 78/79 where he was adored, but could not get back to where the Feelgoods had got...they went massive in 78 Milk and Alcohol/Down at the Doctors etc.

Wilko never spoke to Lee again even when Lee was dying in 94'...though he played at his wake tears streaming down his face, love him Wilko Johnson is a English treasure

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yogi bear View Post
    Iron Maiden, 1986, Edinburgh Playhouse.
    I was 15. lost my voice couldn’t hear very well at school the following day...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    And that's how it should be at that age seeing a band like that

Master
    Echobelly - 1995 Sheffield, 1st week of uni.