closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2018 SOTC - on the cusp of completion

Threaded View

2018 SOTC - on the cusp of completion

With a bit of spare time over half term I've taken a few photos for a SOTC post. My tastes are fairly mainstream (although :shock: no sport Rolex at present – Exp II currently in for service), and the core of the collection hasn't changed much, but has been refined through the years with new acquisitions.
    It has always been based around my favourite brands of Omega, Rolex and Heuer, and I have managed to try a lot of other watches that I like in pictures, but the ones that stay must feel right on the wrist.

This time I've grouped the pictures by watch 'type' instead of brand.

Aviators:

Omega Dynamic | Smiths 29A | Eterna Kontiki 1856 | Speedbird III GMT | Sinn 104 St Sa

The Dynamic was the first watch I bought new at an AD in the early 2000s - at a significant discount from RRP. Even though it was a fairly basic model in the contemporary Omega range, it is nicely finished and has a number of little bespoke details (like the italic date disc) that has kept it in favour over a number of other similar pieces I have tried. The 29A is a fantastic re-issue of the military watch and the SBIII-GMT is the watch that I have recommended to friends dipping their toe into the world of mechanical watches. Fantastic quality and with a useful complication and a splash of colour to make it a little more interesting than the regular model.

Divers:

SM300 (modern rebuild) | Broadarrow PRS3 | Tudor Snowflake | Precista PRS 17A | Sinn EZM2

I have never really been a big fan of divers, as my biggest dislike in watches is unnecessary thickness, but I seen to have ended up with a little group of “civilianised” military watches. I’m a fan of the sword hands in the SM300 and the PRS3, and as I will never own a milsub, have tried a few homages – but they never hit the spot. I would definitely prefer the PRS3 or a CWC to a Steinhart. The snowflake is very cool, but I do not wear it often these days as I have become a bit concerned about how much they now seem to be worth. Very pleased with my recent acquisition of the EZM2 – I love the fact that the oil filled case makes it more water / pressure resistant than a sea-dweller, whilst only being 11mm thick. It’s my perfect diving watch.

Chronographs:

Heuer Carrera 3647S | Carrera 73353 | Carrera 510.523 | Carrera 1964 re-issue | Monza 150.511 | Monza Cal 36 | Omega Speedmaster 145.012-66 | Seamaster ‘Radial’ 145.016-68 | Speedmaster Schumacher Racing

Vintage chronographs have bags of character and I was lucky enough to pick up most of these before the market exploded. Somewhat accidently, I seem to have most of the major chronograph movements covered: A couple of manual wind valjoux models (one cam one column wheel), the equivalent Lemania calibres in the omegas (321 and 861) and 4 different solutions for the automatic chronograph with an El Primero, Lemania 5100, Val7750 and the modular movement in the Heuer cal 15. The chrome Monza was my first Heuer and holds a special place in my heart, but the 3647s is my favourite due to the purity of design.

'Everyday':

Omega Dynamic | Omega Constellation F300 198.006 | Tudor Day + Date 96214 | Rolex Datejust 16200

As most divers and aviator themed watches are black, I have a few blue dial watches to act as a counter-point. The F300 is the perfect shade of metallic blue which changes character in different lights and is thankfully free of the deterioration of colour that seemingly affects blues from the period. I have swapped 2 different blue dials through the 16200, but have settled on a naughty swap from a TT model which is a homage to my first Rolex, a 6694. With this mod, I get the warm character from the yellow gold indices and the open 6s and 9s, but with the added convenience of automatic winding, better water resistance and quick set date. I probably wear the 16200 most of all my watches.

Dress:

Omega Seamaster | Constellation Pie-Pan | Nomos Tangente Weiss / Grau

Not often venturing out of the safety deposit box, these are the 3 pieces I wear when dressing more smartly. The seamaster was my first ‘proper’ watch, bought in the early days of ebay for around £75. The Constellation has a fantastic dial and really interesting details to the case. I used to have a black pie-pan dial as well, and this would be top of the list to get back. The tangente is interesting as it was one of the first 100 models produced by nomos in 2001, the white/grey dial harks back to the original lange model and I am surprised it is not used more often in their current dial options as the contrast of the subdial seconds is very nice.

Hope you enjoyed my ramblings, and if you have read this far, apologies for the dental pun.
    Last edited by carryondentist; 13th February 2018 at 23:21.