closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega service

Journeyman

Omega service

Just had my watch back from omega from a service. Initially I was impressed, the polishing looks fantastic!

Also they gave me all the parts they replaced including the main spring barrel, the co-axial pallet and escape wheel, which were interesting to take a look at.

Unfortunately they managed to rub off a couple of minute markers during the service, which I only noticed once I’d got the watch home. The saving grace was the professionalism of Watches of Switzerland in the Royal Exchange. They had photos of the watch from when I dropped it off and they took a look, quickly agreed that it wasn’t like that when I dropped off the watch and sent the watch back off to omega immediately. So another 4 weeks without my watch, but a relatively good experience with Watches of Switzerland. Would recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Interesting to note that the co-axial escapement parts are getting replaced by Omega when these watches are serviced. It’s good practice to fit a new mainspring and barrel but replacing the escapement parts isn’t something that would normally done on a conventional movement.

I suspect that the co-axial escapement parts won’t tolerate wear and will have to be replaced every few years. With the restricted supply of Omega parts owners of these watches are going to be tied in to Omega servicing and prices in the future.

The issue with the minute track markers isn’t good. This is down to clumsy handling, it shouldn’t happen, and if it does it should be rectified before the watch is returned to the owner!

Paul

Journeyman
    ^^ I agree, not sure if the escapement needed replacing or if they just do it as a matter of course. The watch was still keeping good time and the only issue was the power reserve.
    It was a shame the dial was damaged during the service and not picked up, but I can understand why as I did not see it immediately either.
    I have read, however, that the co-axial pallet stones are too fiddly to be repaired so if anything does happen to them then they need to be replaced. Either way the watch had been on my wrist nearly every day for 7 years, and I’m not particularly careful when wearing it, so not too bad going.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Interesting to note that the co-axial escapement parts are getting replaced by Omega when these watches are serviced. It’s good practice to fit a new mainspring and barrel but replacing the escapement parts isn’t something that would normally done on a conventional movement.

I suspect that the co-axial escapement parts won’t tolerate wear and will have to be replaced every few years. With the restricted supply of Omega parts owners of these watches are going to be tied in to Omega servicing and prices in the future.

The issue with the minute track markers isn’t good. This is down to clumsy handling, it shouldn’t happen, and if it does it should be rectified before the watch is returned to the owner!

Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Strchr03 View Post
    ^^ I agree, not sure if the escapement needed replacing or if they just do it as a matter of course. The watch was still keeping good time and the only issue was the power reserve.
    It was a shame the dial was damaged during the service and not picked up, but I can understand why as I did not see it immediately either.
    I have read, however, that the co-axial pallet stones are too fiddly to be repaired so if anything does happen to them then they need to be replaced. Either way the watch had been on my wrist nearly every day for 7 years, and I’m not particularly careful when wearing it, so not too bad going.

No real excuse on the damage to the dial - but these things happen from time time - the watchmakers are only human and regularly make mistakes and miss things - hopefully they will put it right quickly!

I suspect that changing parts is only being changed when required. I'll speak with a Swatch employee. However, that said it is not unusual when a part has been updated internally that this is routinely changed during a service by the manufacturer - that is one of the benefits in going direct anyway. This has happened with Rolex movements on the GMT function, they simply changed the part during service without a recall or notifying owners - most people just wouldn't know, notice or be affected in any way.
    It's just a matter of time...