timefactors watches
Results 1 to 46 of 46

Thread: Range Rover woes....

  1. #1
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Salisbury, Wiltshire
    Posts
    1,295

    Range Rover woes....

    Hi All,

    Apart from some sympathy, I'm after a bit of help here please!

    I had my 2010 RR Vogue SE 3.6 V8 serviced at my authorised RR dealer 2 weeks ago.
    It has been faultless for some 50k+ miles and regularly serviced by RR.

    Upon picking it up and reversing off their forecourt, I noticed the reverse camera wasn't working.
    I flagged this, and we also discovered that the tv, sat nat and phone pairing all wasn't working.

    Being at the end of the day, we agreed that I'd take it back at the weekend, for further investigative work.
    During the week, I lost my fuel gauge.

    Both of these were looked into at the weekend, resulting in:
    1. TV - you need a new TV module, or we can install a prism to bypass the TV and this will give you phone connectivity and sat nav.
    2. Fuel gauge - you need a new sender unit, or we can clean up the old one and this may work, but still may need replacing in the future.

    For speed and as they didn't have the parts on the day, we went with the prism bypass so that I have sat nav., and we went with the cleaned up sender unit.

    Now, 3-4 days later, my car goes into 'limp mode' and is showing a gear fix fault.
    The RAC detected the fault code to U2023, and couldn't clear it.

    So it's back at the authorised RR dealer today, and I'm awaiting the latest in the saga since their servicing on the car.

    So does anyone have a similar experience to any of the above, or know what the U2023 code may be?

    Thanks, Steve

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,749
    Blog Entries
    1
    Frankie Four Fingers (Dudley) is the man for this. Local to you too.

  3. #3
    Master vagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Here and There....
    Posts
    4,110
    I'm sure a JLR expert will be along shortly but a quick google suggests that U2023 is a comms error code i.e. communication error between modules

  4. #4
    Craftsman sish101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Hartlepool Co Durham
    Posts
    773
    Water ingress? Did the valet it whilst they had it, sometimes the cleaners can be a bit vigorous with the pressure washer.

  5. #5
    Here's where I go when I have an issue with my Vogue.

    http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/

    Sign up and post the issue and I'm sure someone will be along to help you promptly.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Salisbury, Wiltshire
    Posts
    1,295
    Thanks for the feedback thus far guys.

    I have already checked out the latest fault code....
    ....again, on checking the web, this series of faults all seem to be connected with a short, fuse, or low battery as the underlying trend.

    I just know the garage will come back with a it needs a new part and a circ. £500-£600 bill (again)
    Re: pressure washer and the known water ingress problem, I did check the TV module area and the surrounding modules, and they are dry.

  7. #7
    Craftsman Maysie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    771
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha4 View Post
    Here's where I go when I have an issue with my Vogue.

    http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/

    Sign up and post the issue and I'm sure someone will be along to help you promptly.
    ^^^
    This is good advice.

    I am a member of their Discovery forum (sister site) and there are some VERY knowledgeable people on there.
    Last edited by Maysie; 12th February 2018 at 13:17. Reason: typo

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer View Post
    Hi All,

    Apart from some sympathy, I'm after a bit of help here please!

    I had my 2010 RR Vogue SE 3.6 V8 serviced at my authorised RR dealer 2 weeks ago.
    It has been faultless for some 50k+ miles and regularly serviced by RR.

    Upon picking it up and reversing off their forecourt, I noticed the reverse camera wasn't working.
    I flagged this, and we also discovered that the tv, sat nat and phone pairing all wasn't working.

    Being at the end of the day, we agreed that I'd take it back at the weekend, for further investigative work.
    During the week, I lost my fuel gauge.

    Both of these were looked into at the weekend, resulting in:
    1. TV - you need a new TV module, or we can install a prism to bypass the TV and this will give you phone connectivity and sat nav.
    2. Fuel gauge - you need a new sender unit, or we can clean up the old one and this may work, but still may need replacing in the future.

    For speed and as they didn't have the parts on the day, we went with the prism bypass so that I have sat nav., and we went with the cleaned up sender unit.

    Now, 3-4 days later, my car goes into 'limp mode' and is showing a gear fix fault.
    The RAC detected the fault code to U2023, and couldn't clear it.

    So it's back at the authorised RR dealer today, and I'm awaiting the latest in the saga since their servicing on the car.

    So does anyone have a similar experience to any of the above, or know what the U2023 code may be?

    Thanks, Steve

    Pmed tou with phone number.... easier to chat

    FFF

  9. #9
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    640
    It might still be on its original battery, if so itís worth changing as that can cause random errors


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  10. #10
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bramhall England
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by stuie-t View Post
    It might still be on its original battery, if so itís worth changing as that can cause random errors


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I have had 3 FFRR and find that when they get between 5 - 7 years old they tend to throw up elec faults which are nearly always fixed with new battery
    I would also recommend using a good specialist not a main dealer as labour rates are v expensive and they are v keen on putting in new parts

    Good luck

  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    437
    Have I understood correctly that when the car went to the dealer for servicing it was fully working, and it's come back broken and they want paying for repairs?

  12. #12
    Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Salisbury, Wiltshire
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Have I understood correctly that when the car went to the dealer for servicing it was fully working, and it's come back broken and they want paying for repairs?
    yes, thatís about the sum of it.

  13. #13
    Master reggie747's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Mersey Riviera
    Posts
    3,852
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer View Post
    yes, thatís about the sum of it.
    ...........

  14. #14
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    4,552
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Have I understood correctly that when the car went to the dealer for servicing it was fully working, and it's come back broken and they want paying for repairs?
    That's how I read it too

  15. #15
    Master Vanguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    3,816
    I don't believe in coincidences like that, I think they did something to it that's caused these issues.

  16. #16
    Grand Master number2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    14,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    I don't believe in coincidences like that, I think they did something to it that's caused these issues.
    Given the extremes and hard life that your average RangeRover is subject to, is it any wonder that they begin to experience problems,,
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

  17. #17
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Petersfield, Hampshire
    Posts
    4,669
    Lots of time in the workshop with the ignition on may have drained the battery to the point it has shown a weakness. My golden rule is electrical problems on any car any age if the battery is more than a year old change it, it's nearly always the cheapest component and is frequently the guilty party.

  18. #18
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Birmingham , UK
    Posts
    385
    Sounds like they've Cocked something up whilst in for the service.

    I would be pushing for a free fix personally

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Master Vanguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Hampshire
    Posts
    3,816
    Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Given the extremes and hard life that your average RangeRover is subject to, is it any wonder that they begin to experience problems,,
    They do have some vicious speed bumps in Waitrose car park sometimes it's true.

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    By the TOLL Road
    Posts
    2,672
    Blog Entries
    1
    Time to get rid. Its all down hill now

  21. #21
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    Lots of time in the workshop with the ignition on may have drained the battery to the point it has shown a weakness. My golden rule is electrical problems on any car any age if the battery is more than a year old change it, it's nearly always the cheapest component and is frequently the guilty party.
    I share your rule, and not been wrong yet for me, luckily!


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,503
    I would definitely agree with the battery. I've had 3 in my TDV8 in the 6 years I've owned it.

  23. #23
    Craftsman Arcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Rochdale, UK
    Posts
    469
    They must put some sh1t batteries in Range Rovers then. I would expect 3 years use minimum.

    I know that RR do seem to suffer with electronic/electrical issues and one reason I did not proceed with the purchase of a F type.

    Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    They must put some sh1t batteries in Range Rovers then. I would expect 3 years use minimum.

    I know that RR do seem to suffer with electronic/electrical issues and one reason I did not proceed with the purchase of a F type.

    Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

    They certainly did. They come with 84Ah ones as standard. I've moved to larger >100Ah versions which make a big difference. There's also a suggestion that AGM batteries are more resilient than lead acid ones.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    They certainly did. They come with 84Ah ones as standard. I've moved to larger >100Ah versions which make a big difference. There's also a suggestion that AGM batteries are more resilient than lead acid ones.
    AGM are lead acid batteries.

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    AGM are lead acid batteries.
    But with a different internal design from what Iím told.

  27. #27
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Durham, tyne and wear
    Posts
    939
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    Have I understood correctly that when the car went to the dealer for servicing it was fully working, and it's come back broken and they want paying for repairs?
    Well done Sherlock.

  28. #28
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    2,087
    Why would you even leave with a 'broken' car? I'd immediately ask for a similar courtesy car and ask for a date to collect you car...and no way would pay any bill.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    But with a different internal design from what Iím told.
    Yes.

  30. #30
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    North Wilts
    Posts
    1,135
    That doesn't sound good and does seem a bit of a co incidence that all was well before it went in.
    I hope the OP sorts his out to his satisfaction.
    This isn't helping. We'd quite like a tdv8 but every time I think it'll be ok I hear more tales of woe. For a prestige marque they do seem to have their achilles heels.
    My current range rover needs a fair bit of attention but its nearly 25 years old so I'll let it off. Not sure I'd like a much newer one to be the same. Someone mentioned an ML merc..

  31. #31
    I too would love to run a RR but I just keep hearing too many "tales"
    So I'm thinking of a Merc ML instead
    As an aside, my 2001 Hilux 4x4, used daily with 96k miles, is on its original factory fitted twin heavy duty batteries (they have the date ticket on them)
    Not impressed by the thought of 3 batteries in 6 years- and yes, I know the RR has far more demand with all the goodies, but if it were designed and kitted out properly you wouldn't expect that sort of life surely?

  32. #32
    I would strongly suspect there was an undiagnosed fault if 3 batteries needed to be replaced in 6 years. Whilst they're quite battery heavy they're not that bad!!
    Winter usage is the biggest killer, if the vehicle doesn't get regular longish runs and owners are using lights, heated seats, screens, mirrors, heater more due to cold weather the battery will slowly becoming discharged to a point one morning things start to click.

    Yesterday and today I've spoken to Steve at length about his issues and from I can make out the garage aren't really doing him any favours currently, To the guys on here who are suggesting battery, voltage issues I dont think you may be very far away from the truth.

  33. #33
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    1,867
    When my battery was going on my previous Discovery it threw up some odd error messages and the like.

  34. #34
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I would strongly suspect there was an undiagnosed fault if 3 batteries needed to be replaced in 6 years. Whilst they're quite battery heavy they're not that bad!!
    Winter usage is the biggest killer, if the vehicle doesn't get regular longish runs and owners are using lights, heated seats, screens, mirrors, heater more due to cold weather the battery will slowly becoming discharged to a point one morning things start to click.

    Yesterday and today I've spoken to Steve at length about his issues and from I can make out the garage aren't really doing him any favours currently, To the guys on here who are suggesting battery, voltage issues I dont think you may be very far away from the truth.
    My usage pattern is probably a huge contributory factor. Away all week, use it at the weekends, mostly for shortish journeys.
    Since Iíve invested in a decent battery charger, all has been well.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    My usage pattern is probably a huge contributory factor. Away all week, use it at the weekends, mostly for shortish journeys.
    Since Iíve invested in a decent battery charger, all has been well.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Was it pre 2010 model year?

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Was it pre 2010 model year?
    2008MY

  37. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    2008MY
    That also explains a lot. From late 09 onwards JLR invested an awful amount of time and money trying to fix the RR battery issues. One thing they changed was the time the time climate operated for which did seem to make a difference.....that and various battery monitoring upgrades

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,503
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    That also explains a lot. From late 09 onwards JLR invested an awful amount of time and money trying to fix the RR battery issues. One thing they changed was the time the time climate operated for which did seem to make a difference.....that and various battery monitoring upgrades
    I had pretty much given up using the FBH for that very reason.

  39. #39
    Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Petersfield, Hampshire
    Posts
    4,669
    I suspect what you need is an MX-5 instead. :)

  40. #40
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,144
    fingers crossed after initial problems with my 08 sport which was resolved by a new battery its been perfect since - Ive had an aftermarket remote FBH fitted and Ive been amazed qat the difference its made to how it runs just by activating it to warm up before I get in of a morning and starting the engine from warma as opposed to cold has made a hell of a difference to mine - BUT a warranty is a must as they are so temperenmental

  41. #41
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bramhall England
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by R0bertb00th View Post
    fingers crossed after initial problems with my 08 sport which was resolved by a new battery its been perfect since - Ive had an aftermarket remote FBH fitted and Ive been amazed qat the difference its made to how it runs just by activating it to warm up before I get in of a morning and starting the engine from warma as opposed to cold has made a hell of a difference to mine - BUT a warranty is a must as they are so temperenmental
    Glad to hear itís fixed - not convinced about warranties for older cars as I would expect to be told itís wear and tear
    My experience of these cars is that the more regularly you use them the better they run plus my FF RR runs noticeably better on Shellís finest

  42. #42
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    durham
    Posts
    259
    As I peruse this thread,my daughter sitting near me is transferring funds to purchase a new Range Rover Evoque and at least the thread on G&D about the newer models was more encouraging but I don't think I'll mention this thread to her

  43. #43
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Geneva
    Posts
    310
    Wow - so it's not just me
    I bought a RR Sport 2005 Supercharged second hand in Switzerland for a steal (everyone in Geneva just wants the latest model so you can pick up second hand cars for nothing). 5ltr v8 - 120k swiss brand new in 2005 i was super chuffed.
    Well, i took it to the main dealer garage here upon purchase....2k swissi for a full service (it had done 100k). Few months later it breaks down as i'm at hospital with newborn waiting to be taken home...ffs....
    TCS (swiss equivalent of AA) to the rescue.
    In garage they say new battery needed
    Battery was fitted but following weekend all sorts of error messages and fail warning signs
    Take back to garage - they tell me they fitted it with wrong voltage or something in french i couldn't quite understand. Get new battery as in warranty.
    2 weeks later - all warning lights again - suspension not working etc
    Back to garage - need to replace front suspension and the sensor - 1.8k swissi. Told they needed to update many many computer systems inside
    Praying now it doesn't give me another bloody warning light....


    Still absolutely love the car tho...

  44. #44
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Bramhall England
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
    Wow - so it's not just me
    I bought a RR Sport 2005 Supercharged second hand in Switzerland for a steal (everyone in Geneva just wants the latest model so you can pick up second hand cars for nothing). 5ltr v8 - 120k swiss brand new in 2005 i was super chuffed.
    Well, i took it to the main dealer garage here upon purchase....2k swissi for a full service (it had done 100k). Few months later it breaks down as i'm at hospital with newborn waiting to be taken home...ffs....
    TCS (swiss equivalent of AA) to the rescue.
    In garage they say new battery needed
    Battery was fitted but following weekend all sorts of error messages and fail warning signs
    Take back to garage - they tell me they fitted it with wrong voltage or something in french i couldn't quite understand. Get new battery as in warranty.
    2 weeks later - all warning lights again - suspension not working etc
    Back to garage - need to replace front suspension and the sensor - 1.8k swissi. Told they needed to update many many computer systems inside
    Praying now it doesn't give me another bloody warning light....


    Still absolutely love the car tho...
    I would personally change the battery myself as itís not difficult and then you know that a decent quality item has been fitted
    I would probably try and find a good independent as main dealers are v expensive to maintain older cars and they just want to replace parts at your cost
    Have a look on FFRR which normally has lots of helpful advice
    Good luck

  45. #45
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Geneva
    Posts
    310

    Help with tyres

    Chaps - for the RR Sport Supercharged 2005 i need some new summer tyres.

    Where do i find out what size of tyre I need? Am i right in thinking i need to be careful as the rims i have currently might not fit some tyres? Sorry for the daft question.

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    6,749
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
    Chaps - for the RR Sport Supercharged 2005 i need some new summer tyres.

    Where do i find out what size of tyre I need? Am i right in thinking i need to be careful as the rims i have currently might not fit some tyres? Sorry for the daft question.
    You'll find the size on the sidewall of your current tyres.
    Likely a 275/45R19 109Y or something similar.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •