closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Smiths Everest PRS-25

I prefer sapphire

Quote Originally Posted by Mads Gorm View Post
    Those who got the original PRS-25 with the acrylic glass - what are your experince with the acrylic glass?
    But with that said, I've had zero problems with the acrylic crystal. I keep a tube of polywatch in my desk. If I get a small mark, I polish it out in a moment and it's back to perfect. While I would prefer sapphire, I don't mind this acrylic crystal at all.

Those who got the original PRS-25 with the acrylic glass - what are your experince with the acrylic glass?
    No problem, mine is 7 years old poly watch is your friend with acrylic glass as has been mentioned above!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by russellfrost View Post
    But with that said, I've had zero problems with the acrylic crystal. I keep a tube of polywatch in my desk. If I get a small mark, I polish it out in a moment and it's back to perfect. While I would prefer sapphire, I don't mind this acrylic crystal at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    No problem, mine is 7 years old poly watch is your friend with acrylic glass as has been mentioned above!
    I think the acrylic looks so much better, I wish Eddie had kept it - or many make every second or third batch acrylic, for the acrylic lovers. Glad to hear it not i a problem in the real world.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by S4WTO View Post
    I was modifying the last link of the bracelet to work with the micro adjustments on the clasp(which I successfully managed to do), but I had clamped the link in my vice too tightly and slightly squashed the threaded hole for the screw. I’ve managed to fix it enough to wear it, but would like a new end link(clasp end).
    I've encountered the same issue with my divers extension clasp - the end link of the bracelet only fits the outermost hole of the divers extension clasp. On the outer hole the bracelet is too loose, in the middle is just right, but it doesn't fit correctly because of the step on the extension part of the clasp. Adding or removing a link also won't allow for the proper fit.

I have an email into Eddie, to see if an older style clasp is available - has anyone else swapped their clasp? (I have no use for the divers extension feature, so it won't be missed)

I mulled over modifying the end link to fit, but obviously hope to avoid that type of non-reversible modification. (and the issue created by the quoted member above)

Apprentice
    Eddie couldn't help me. I ended up using a dremel to reduce the profile of the end link, to clear the section inside the divers extension.
    I also orderd a different clasp from Esslingers, similar to the original. I'm not sure it will work (could have the same clearance issue) but I'll post my result.
    For now, I am able to use the 2nd inner micro-adjustment hole, so all is good.

Before

After

Esslinger Clasp (18 mm)

Apprentice
    I didn't measure my clasp, and ordered an 18 mm clasp from Esslinger. It's of course too small.... I'm out of town, can someone verify the clasp width? (guessing it has to be a 20).
    I must have read that it had an 18 mm clasp referencing the 36 mm version w/20 mm lugs.
    The upside is that I think it will work nicely and seems to fit the nature of the watch, and close to the original clasp style.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by riff raff View Post
    I didn't measure my clasp, and ordered an 18 mm clasp from Esslinger. It's of course too small.... I'm out of town, can someone verify the clasp width? (guessing it has to be a 20).
    I must have read that it had an 18 mm clasp referencing the 36 mm version w/20 mm lugs.
    The upside is that I think it will work nicely and seems to fit the nature of the watch, and close to the original clasp style.
    The clasp itself measures 20mm at it's widest point (excluding the buttons on the sides). The width of the strap at both ends that connect to the clasp is 18mm.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    The clasp itself measures 20mm at it's widest point (excluding the buttons on the sides). The width of the strap at both ends that connect to the clasp is 18mm.
    I appreciate the reply. Were you able to measure this? The 18 mm clasp that Esslinger sent me is about 2 mm too small.....and it sure looks like 20 mm clasp compared to my two other 20 mm lug watches.
    (Unless Esslinger slipped in a 16 mm clasp in the 20 mm package). I'm in New Orleans. My watch/micrometer are back in Maryland.

I do have the 40 mm version, not the 36.

I appreciate the reply. Were you able to measure this? The 18 mm clasp that Esslinger sent me is about 2 mm too small.....and it sure looks like 20 mm clasp compared to my two other 20 mm lug watches.
    (Unless Esslinger slipped in a 16 mm clasp in the 20 mm package). I'm in New Orleans. My watch/micrometer are back in Maryland.

You're spot on. The 40mm is 22mm at the lugs and 20mm at the clasp. (I've just checked on mine.) Interested to see the alternate clasp if you get it to work!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman

Ah .. OK ... fair enough .. measurements I gave you were for my 36mm ...

Apprentice
    I ordered a $5 divers clasp from China, via Ebay. It fits nicely and is a huge improvement over the factory monstrosity. I still think even that the Esslinger clasp above fits the nature of the watch better (rounded profile, smooth clasp). I may order another for $10 (returning the wrong size wasn't worth the effort). Hopefully future owners will get a clasp that is more befitting of the watch in style and function.

Journeyman

Question Ghost date on PRS-25 Miyota 9015

Hi

Am I right in assuming there is a Ghost date on the PRS-25 since it has the Miyota 9015?

Thanks in advance

Journeyman
    Hi

Am I right in assuming there is a Ghost date on the PRS-25 since it has the Miyota 9015?

Thanks in advance
    Yep, new ones will have the 9039.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    I ordered a $5 divers clasp from China, via Ebay. It fits nicely and is a huge improvement over the factory monstrosity. I still think even that the Esslinger clasp above fits the nature of the watch better (rounded profile, smooth clasp). I may order another for $10 (returning the wrong size wasn't worth the effort). Hopefully future owners will get a clasp that is more befitting of the watch in style and function.

Can you post the link for that clasp please?

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by horror_logical View Post
    Can you post the link for that clasp please?

Sure:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...72.m2749.l2649

It's a $5 clasp but it works. Probably a better quality clasp from Esslinger, StrapCo, etc. would be merited.

Journeyman
    Sure:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-S...72.m2749.l2649

It's a $5 clasp but it works. Probably a better quality clasp from Esslinger, StrapCo, etc. would be merited.
    Thank you

Apprentice
    Has anyone actually replaced _just_ the clasp on the 36mm Everest? I believe the poster above is actually working on the 40mm model. Are the issues with replacing the clasp the same between models, ie: you need to perform some dremel work to fit it?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    Has anyone actually replaced _just_ the clasp on the 36mm Everest? I believe the poster above is actually working on the 40mm model. Are the issues with replacing the clasp the same between models, ie: you need to perform some dremel work to fit it?
    I assumed it was the 36, I just ordered the clasp in 18mm hopefully it fits.

It isn't just the bulk of the original clasp that's whole problem, it's also that the bracelet tapers to 18mm. Even with a less bulky clasp fitted this is still too wide to balance with the watch head, IMHO. Mine is on various Natos and occasionally leather until (hopefully) Eddie can supply the 20>16mm rivetted bracelet, or failing that I'll source a suitable after market bracelet in this style.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    It isn't just the bulk of the original clasp that's whole problem, it's also that the bracelet tapers to 18mm. Even with a less bulky clasp fitted this is still too wide to balance with the watch head, IMHO. Mine is on various Natos and occasionally leather until (hopefully) Eddie can supply the 20>16mm rivetted bracelet, or failing that I'll source a suitable after market bracelet in this style.
    I really like the original bracelet bar the clasp, it’s really well made and the links are shorter than other oyster styles i’ve worn which I prefer.

I’m really not a fan of the rivet aesthetic but appreciate the concept and will probably wear it when they’re released regardless.

I really like the original bracelet bar the clasp, it’s really well made and the links are shorter than other oyster styles i’ve worn which I prefer.

I’m really not a fan of the rivet aesthetic but appreciate the concept and will probably wear it when they’re released regardless.

There are plenty of 20>16mm after market bracelets without rivets available.
    F.T.F.A.

There are plenty of 20>16mm after market bracelets without rivets available.
    Ah, but which ones fit the 36mm Everest and line up with the springbar holes?

Cheers,
    Adam.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Smiths Everest PRS-25

Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Ah, but which ones fit the 36mm Everest and line up with the springbar holes?
    Cheers,
    Adam.
    Alpha Watch Europe do both a rivet and non rivet Oyster style bracelet in 20mm with a 16mm clasp, €28 and €24 respectively. I sent them some measurements from the Everest from the end link and the central link of the bracelet that connects to the endlink and they say it will fit. Another option is to use the Everest endlinks with the Aplha bracelet. In the unlikely event that it wouldn't fit straight on, or look like it could be made to fit with a Dremmel and a set of small files, it could always be returned. Their centre link is 9mm, here’s a couple of the measurements I sent them from the Everest. I’m confident it would fit, although I of course hope that Eddie will be able to supply one.

Last edited by magirus; 18th July 2019 at 10:31.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    36mm just sold on eBay for £373 !!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Time-Fact...rdt=true&rt=nc

I wonder what the buyer would say if he knew there are still a few left brand new via Timefactors at £320 LOL, albeit with a bit of a wait until Eddie's recovered from his Op !

Master
    Don't want to open a thread just for this so I thought I can ask here.
    Does anyone have a spare 40mm Everest bracelet link?
    Mine is pretty tight on the wrist and im afraid I'll bend the springbars.

Apprentice
    I assumed it was the 36, I just ordered the clasp in 18mm hopefully it fits.

Any update on this? Currently revisiting alternate options for this watch. Thanks in advance.

Apprentice
    Alpha Watch Europe do both a rivet and non rivet Oyster style bracelet in 20mm with a 16mm clasp, €28 and €24 respectively. I sent them some measurements from the Everest from the end link and the central link of the bracelet that connects to the endlink and they say it will fit. Another option is to use the Everest endlinks with the Aplha bracelet. In the unlikely event that it wouldn't fit straight on, or look like it could be made to fit with a Dremmel and a set of small files, it could always be returned. Their centre link is 9mm, here’s a couple of the measurements I sent them from the Everest. I’m confident it would fit, although I of course hope that Eddie will be able to supply one.
    Any chance you could provide links to the two you mention above? Finding alpha's site a bit confusing, in fact there seem to be multiple sites! Thanks in advance.

[edit]: Sorry, I guess this is the one?

https://alpha-1993.com/collections/w...or-chronograph
    Last edited by mr_nobody; 18th September 2019 at 21:51.

Endlink springbar problem!

I removed the bracelet from my 36mm, but it is impossible to refit because the original springbar won’t go through the endlink holes! It sounds like nonsense but it’s true. Very mysterious! The little ring on the spring bar won’t fit through the channel in the endlink. It really is the original springbar! Does anyone have any brilliant insight?! I am dumbfounded!

Journeyman
    Any update on this? Currently revisiting alternate options for this watch. Thanks in advance.
    The clasp fits, I had the half of the last link at a 45° angle to get one side in. The clasp is of low quality too, that was expected being £0.9.

It was quite a bit of work to get it all done but once it was I was much happier with the bracelet.

Probably wouldn’t do it again if I had to. I’d just wait for the new bracelet.

Apprentice
    The clasp fits, I had the half of the last link at a 45° angle to get one side in. The clasp is of low quality too, that was expected being £0.9.

It was quite a bit of work to get it all done but once it was I was much happier with the bracelet.

Probably wouldn’t do it again if I had to. I’d just wait for the new bracelet.

Great, thanks for the info!

Apprentice
    I ended up ordering the bracelet from alpha europe which magirus mentioned (to be clear, he did not recommend it, just mentioned it might be a possible alternative). Over time, I have come to dislike the large clasp of the stock bracelet. I also am not at all sold on the (faux) rivets style of the new bracelet.

Sadly, I am not really sold on this one either. I ended up fitting it using the stock (solid) endlinks. It came with hollow endlinks that I did not bother with. The good news is the bracelet does fit the stock endlinks really well. The bad news is this was the most horrific bracelet I have ever worked with. I was unable to remove one of the links because the thread of the screw was stripped straight from the factory (thanks, alpha). The other screws which I was able to remove were simply awful to work with. Really, really atrocious quality.

Because I could not remove one of the links, I needed to take advantage of the micro adjustments in the clasp. As a result, the clasp is really floppy as you can see in the last photo. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for a way I could permanently affix that final link to the clasp itself to stop it moving around?

Other than that, not really sure what I'll do. Suck it up and order the rivet bracelet? Just forget about wearing this on a bracelet? Honestly, if that's what it comes down to, I'm not going to be a happy camper. :(

Journeyman
    Although this may come as an annoyance to Eddie and the majority of this thread, as the current reissue hasn’t even arrived yet, I’m only posting this out of curiosity.

I think the black everest could be made better by changing a few things:

* Bracelet, standard oyster no rivets. Taper 20-16mm
    * Logo, the crown logo like the white Everest
    * Adjusted handset proportions.
    * Crown, engraved crown logo.

What do you guys think?

P.S.
    I love the prs-25, it’s my favourite watch in it’s price category by leaps and bounds. These are just the things i’d change.

Although this may come as an annoyance to Eddie and the majority of this thread, as the current reissue hasn’t even arrived yet, I’m only posting this out of curiosity.

What do you guys think?

P.S.
    I love the prs-25, it’s my favourite watch in it’s price category by leaps and bounds. These are just the things i’d change.

I agree.

Master

What do you guys think?

P.S.

I like the riveted bracelet but do wonder if the novelty may wear off. Spot on otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I ended up ordering the bracelet from alpha europe which magirus mentioned (to be clear, he did not recommend it, just mentioned it might be a possible alternative). Over time, I have come to dislike the large clasp of the stock bracelet. I also am not at all sold on the (faux) rivets style of the new bracelet.

Sorry for your disappointment with the bracelet. :-( Well done though for having a good go to make it fit. I'm not sure about how the new bracelet has turned out, my 1st generation PRS-25 wears well on a Nato so I'm taking my time and giving a bracelet a lot of thought.
    F.T.F.A.

PRS-25 black dial with bracelet of the Expedition

Apprentice
    I agree. A simple oyster bracelet would be a big improvement!

What do you guys think?

P.S.

What do you guys think?

P.S.

Nothing to stop you getting 300 made and see how you go with them.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman
    Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by linus. View Post
    PRS-25 black dial with bracelet of the Expedition...

Thanks for those images. Very instructive for anyone considering the bracelet when available separately.
    F.T.F.A.

Great images - thanks. I’ve been away a few weeks. The new riveted bracelet is not yet available is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    Great images - thanks. I’ve been away a few weeks. The new riveted bracelet is not yet available is it?
    Yes, not yet available

I find the rivets too prominent to my taste.
    A simple oyster would be my grail for this watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronoss View Post
    I find the rivets too prominent to my taste.
    A simple oyster would be my grail for this watch.
    The rivets are a lot more "in your face" in photos.

In reality, with the watch on your wrist, you are barely aware of them and they are a lot more subtle.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    The rivets are a lot more "in your face" in photos.

In reality, with the watch on your wrist, you are barely aware of them and they are a lot more subtle.
    Very much so. You actually have to look to notice them in real life.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Engi View Post
    Yes, not yet available
    But it's on sale this coming Sunday :-)

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    But it's on sale this coming Sunday :-)

Eddie
    Price please?
    F.T.F.A.

Hey Eddie,

Site back up for sales on Sunday? If so, what time can you order?

Price please?
    I haven't decided whether is should be £120 or £46.

Eddie

[QUOTE=swanbourne;5229693]But it's on sale this coming Sunday :-)

With the black Everest I hope?!