timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiths Everest PRS-25

All lume and 16mm for me.
    Lovely

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    If the bracelet is to taper to 16mm, it can't have the new clasp. Thoughts?

Eddie
    I'd go for aesthetics on this one and get the 16mm bracelet with the old clasp.

New clasp for me.

Journeyman
    All lume. By a mile. Or, for you folks, a couple of kilometers.
    Don't care about the bracelet taper; either is fine.
    Whichever clasp is smaller/slimmer.
    As to the blued hands. Might they be just a bit much? I've a SARB035 and the lumed silver hands are quite visible. While the blued hands on the AM look great, I wonder if they might make this watch look too 'busy.'

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    I agree, vintage aesthetic prefers a greater taper to a smaller clasp (16mm), and this would definitely win over the slight functional addition of a variable clasp. I also think the variable clasp will look a little too thick (upwards from the wrist) for this smaller watch.
    Dave
    I also very much agree, the 36mm black dial version with a 20/16mm bracelet would be a rotation killer, an insta-buy for me.
    Last edited by Raymond47; 14th November 2018 at 00:17.

Definitely taper to the 16mm for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond47 View Post
    I also very much agree, the 36mm back dial version with a 20/16mm bracelet would be a rotation killer, an insta-buy for me.
    I do agree, and a simple plain "old stile" clasp would add the cherry on the cake !

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    If the bracelet is to taper to 16mm, it can't have the new clasp. Thoughts?

Eddie
    I think it’s better on 16mm tappered bracelet. I thought nobody has done an updated version of the vintage rivet bracelet. 20-16mm would be perfect.

Btw, Eddie, can we have option to buy the rivet bracelet separately? I think I would buy a couple more for my other watches. I’m craving for good vintage rivet bracelet.

And dat white dial looks hottt! There’s nothing you should change about its design. Cream dial, c3 lume, black marker and blue hands (i have a felling they are those “heat treated blue” that look almost black). Absolutely killer!
    Last edited by forever8895; 13th November 2018 at 23:15.

Craftsman
    Dropped in after seeing the new prs on SC. It looks great, and was tempted but now I’ve read about a 36mm one I’m sold! Fingers crossed before Xmas.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The new clasp might be a bit 'heavy' for a 36mm watch head? The old Everest tapered 22/18mm, I believe, and that made it very comfy to wear, so 20/16mm would work well, I think.

I think the new clasp works on the new Everest at the size it is. The clasp is fairly tall, though, hence wondering it it might be a bit much for the smaller size. I don't imagine that height will be much less on a 18mm clasp vs. the 20mm on the new Everest.

Also, I hope Eddie keeps this with lumed hands. No lume and blued hands would take it closer to the 29AM visually, whereas the lume would distinguish it nicely.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E View Post
    The new clasp might be a bit 'heavy' for a 36mm watch head? The old Everest tapered 22/18mm, I believe, and that made it very comfy to wear, so 20/16mm would work well, I think.

I think the new clasp works on the new Everest at the size it is. The clasp is fairly tall, though, hence wondering it it might be a bit much for the smaller size. I don't imagine that height will be much less on a 18mm clasp vs. the 20mm on the new Everest.

Also, I hope Eddie keeps this with lumed hands. No lume and blued hands would take it closer to the 29AM visually, whereas the lume would distinguish it nicely.

Exactly, this is the reason for which I propose a more "old style" clasp for the riveted 20/16mm bracelt, more in line with the look of the 36mm Everest (both black and white dial), like the following one.

Eddie waht do you think about it ?

Craftsman
    Old style clasps when they get older can more easily pop loose so for me they are not a good idea, but, it is not a deal breaker as i would not wear the watch for work so doubt that would ever be an issue. I just think they are a 'lesser' option on quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    Old style clasps when they get older can more easily pop loose so for me they are not a good idea, but, it is not a deal breaker as i would not wear the watch for work so doubt that would ever be an issue. I just think they are a 'lesser' option on quality.

Actually both Meraud, as well as Baltic, for their dive watches use those kind of "old" clasp, as far as I understand the mechaninsm has been reinforced (this is what they told me) so no pop loose anymore.

Speaking just for myself and amending my earlier comment, I actually don't mind either taper/clasp as I'd wear the watch on leather or nato all the time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Speaking just for myself and amending my earlier comment, I actually don't mind either taper/clasp as I'd wear the watch on leather or nato all the time anyway.
    Pretty much this^^ the first time I wore my Submariner on a nato was a revelation, 1/3 the weight not so 'blingy' and much more comfortable, since then any watches I've bought with a bracelet have immediately been put on leather or nylon.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

This is a picture of one original old riveted bracelet, and this is exactly the kind of clasp I would like to have on the new Everest riveted 20/16 bracelet

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Engi View Post
    Actually both Meraud, as well as Baltic, for their dive watches use those kind of "old" clasp, as far as I understand the mechaninsm has been reinforced (this is what they told me) so no pop loose anymore.
    OK, a little intrigued now.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBluefish View Post
    At first I thought I didn't like the new dial (I have the original version.) But looking at it now, in the thread, it really seems quite nice. Darker black, longer minute hand, smaller hash marks (neutral for me..I love the original dial). But with a sapphire crystal now, it could be a daily wearer (I am brutal on my watches, banging them into doorframes, cabinets, etc. Woe be to acrylic crystals...mineral glass is just hopeless on my wrist.)

I was considering the 36, a bit small, but I thought it would work well with a suit. But I'd get a lot more wrist-time out of the larger PRS-25, and I am pretty content with my SARB035 as my "suit" watch. So, now I'm thinking I might just get the new PRS-25, and leave it on the bracelet.

BTW: I note the specs say the lume is C3, but in Kippax's pics, it looks pretty blue. (Maybe my monitor?) Is it perhaps BGW9? I'm fine either way, just wondering. Well, blue would be cool...
    Quote Originally Posted by rusv View Post
    Wow, excellent watch, definitely go on my wishlist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zensa View Post
    Is that also the possible riveted bracelet??

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    Wow! And when can we expect this gorgeous creme dial blue-handed wonder to be available?
    Quote Originally Posted by derb.... View Post
    Great Idea! But i am afraid that the dial will be to colourful:

White / cream dial
    black indices
    C3 numbers
    blue hands

Maybe it's better to give the luminous numbers and triangle a miss and print them in black just as the AM. What do you think Eddie?
    Quote Originally Posted by acg2010 View Post
    With the rivet bracelet, taper to 16mm and the old clasp feels like it fits the aesthetic better. I'd go aesthetic over function on this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralNilsson View Post
    Agreed! Taper would weigh heavier than the easily adjustable clasp. I also vastly prefer a slim clasp..

Quote Originally Posted by gokce View Post
    I'd go for aesthetics on this one and get the 16mm bracelet with the old clasp.
    All lume. By a mile. Or, for you folks, a couple of kilometers.
    Don't care about the bracelet taper; either is fine.
    Whichever clasp is smaller/slimmer.
    As to the blued hands. Might they be just a bit much? I've a SARB035 and the lumed silver hands are quite visible. While the blued hands on the AM look great, I wonder if they might make this watch look too 'busy.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond47 View Post
    I also very much agree, the 36mm black dial version with a 20/16mm bracelet would be a rotation killer, an insta-buy for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by forever8895 View Post
    I think it’s better on 16mm tappered bracelet. I thought nobody has done an updated version of the vintage rivet bracelet. 20-16mm would be perfect.

Btw, Eddie, can we have option to buy the rivet bracelet separately? I think I would buy a couple more for my other watches. I’m craving for good vintage rivet bracelet.

And dat white dial looks hottt! There’s nothing you should change about its design. Cream dial, c3 lume, black marker and blue hands (i have a felling they are those “heat treated blue” that look almost black). Absolutely killer!

Welcome to the forum gents. How about showing us what you have in your collections?
    F.T.F.A.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Welcome to the forum gents. How about showing us what you have in your collections?
    Hello! I have a very modest “collection”, and they are all microbrand watches: Aevig Valkyr, Armida A9, and an NTH Carolina limited ed for BSHT group over WUS. I’m mostly lurking over there. I came here since there was a thread about Explorer homage in 36mm. I think I may have found the right watch with this upcoming Everest. Quality and design wise, this might be the best Explorer homage since the MkII Vantage, which is sold out for a long time and rare as hens’ teeth!

Apprentice
    Thanks for the welcome! I've got a early 2000's Explorer II with lugholes, a Ginault Ocean Rover, the Alpha homage to the 6265 Big Red, and an inexpensive pilot's watch. I love vintages, but the prices have gone crazy lately. I'm waiting for the Baltic Aquascaphe preorder to open up and for the 36mm of this one to be ready so I can add those two. The micros that are doing the homages to vintage watches right are great! The 36mm prs-25 looks like itll hit the sweetspot for my 1016 love. I can't wait for ordering to open up.
    Last edited by acg2010; 15th November 2018 at 14:08. Reason: didn't want to distract from thread with pic of my collection, will make intro post

You are right, proper introduction is in order. Ill put up a post over the weekend. Thanks for reminding me

Ready for weekend on a Maratac

Looks splendid

Journeyman
    Really does. I like that the distortion is still present from the domed crystal, although not to the same level as the acrylic.

Apprentice
    Thanks for the welcome! I've discovered my passion for the hobby 8 years ago. Currently I've settled on a collection of 6 (in order of acquisition): Seiko SKXA35; G-SHOCK GD-350-1B; Seiko SBDC007; Laco by Lacher Limited 200 Valjoux 7750 Chrono; Ракета кал. 2609НА; NTH Näcken Vintage Black. If you have assumed I like mainly dive watches you are correct. My lifestyle and attire are mostly casual/sporty, suit and tie I wear only at work. My tastes are ever-evolving, but every watch I buy I plan to wear and for the ones my wrist is no longer in love with new caretakers will be found . Currenlty I'm looking for a replacement of my Shogun as the black dial do-it-all watch of the collection. My most recent wristshot: - kind regards!

Coming back on topic, please Eddie have you any update on the riveted bracelet and clasp (possibly same clasp style as the original Rolex one I posted before) for the 36mm Everest ? Any possibility to have, always for the 36mm Everest, the crown with Smith logo ?

Thanks in advance.

Smiths Everest PRS-25

Any possibility to have, always for the 36mm Everest, the crown with Smith logo ?
    Sorry you want the full SMITHS text on the crown ? Would that even fit ??

Or did you want the crown logo on the crown? I’d like that I think...

Ps. If you were asking about the crown logo on the DIAL then I think that was shot down earlier? It would also presumably start getting very small on the 36mm
    Last edited by redhed18; 17th November 2018 at 13:26.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwozza70 View Post
    Ready for weekend on a Maratac

Think I prefer it on a NATO actually! Nice one!!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

The mark one's are still as popular as ever.. There is one currently bidded up to £380.00 on EBay, with 6 hours to go!

Item number: 153250688526
    Last edited by senraw; 17th November 2018 at 13:43.

Quote Originally Posted by redhed18 View Post
    Sorry you want the full SMITHS text on the crown ? Would that even fit ??

Or did you want the crown logo on the crown? I’d like that I think...

Ps. If you were asking about the crown logo on the DIAL then I think that was shot down earlier? It would also presumably start getting very small on the 36mm

I would prefer the crown with a logo, not plain as it is now. Maybe also a "S" could be nice
    Last edited by Engi; 17th November 2018 at 15:15.

Apprentice
    Thanks for the welcome. I have been following Eddie's and other Timefactors threads here for a while, but have not been participating actively. I quite enjoy following how a design evolves with feedback and thought I would get involved this time.

As for my collection, I am guilty of having quite a few watches, most of them mechanicals from microbrands and entry-level Swiss brands. I have the usual suspects: Squale, Steinhart, Christopher Ward, Hamilton, NTH, Zodiac, etc. Perhaps more relevant to this thread is that I have Eddie's PRS 82 Royal Navy Diver, and his latest PRS 29 AM. Both watches are beauties, and I really like his latest and upcoming 36 mm releases. I almost got the PRS 29A as well, had it not been for the soon to be released 36 mm Everest. As you can see, I am trying to balance my collection a little as it is too skewed towards diver's at the moment.

Some photos soon to follow..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Journeyman

Alec

Hey everyone!

I'm new to TimeFactors and I recently got my Smiths Everest too! I'm from Hong Kong, though originally from Scotland.
    I keep my collection small and so far I have:
    - Rolex Explorer - 214270
    - Rolex Explorer 2 - 16570
    - Smiths Everest
    - Casio A168 👌🏼

The Smiths is currently my daily driver and I love the vintage charm of it compared to my Explorer 214270. I currently have it on black leather with white stitching and love it to bits.

Question: does anyone have an issue with the threading of the crown? It seems to be a bit rough on mine.

Thanks,

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by tcy148 View Post
    Hey everyone!

I'm new to TimeFactors and I recently got my Smiths Everest too! I'm from Hong Kong, though originally from Scotland.
    I keep my collection small and so far I have:
    - Rolex Explorer - 214270
    - Rolex Explorer 2 - 16570
    - Smiths Everest
    - Casio A168 

The Smiths is currently my daily driver and I love the vintage charm of it compared to my Explorer 214270. I currently have it on black leather with white stitching and love it to bits.

Question: does anyone have an issue with the threading of the crown? It seems to be a bit rough on mine.

Thanks,

Alec
    Hello Alec and welcome, the crown on my Everest is silky smooth (just had to check it) but i'm sure others will be along soon now you have raised that point.

Hope you enjoy the forum

Gadget

Master
    .......... I propose a more "old style" clasp for the riveted 20/16mm bracelt, more in line with the look of the 36mm Everest (both black and white dial) .................
    This is a picture of one original old riveted bracelet, and this is exactly the kind of clasp I would like to have on the new Everest riveted 20/16 bracelet

Personally, I absolutely love much of the very well focused purpose-built military/tool watch technology that came from or became ascendant in the 1948 to 1972 or so “Golden Era” like mil-spec type “domed and armoured” steel tension-ring secured acrylic/plexiglass crystals; screwed-in crown tubes; full coverage anti-magnetic soft iron Faraday Cages; the I think superlative “Caribbean” front-loading monobloc case design; even the amazingly well designed but still incredibly affordable Russian Vostok Amphibian's case design; etc., etc., and I often very much think of such as being objectively and demonstrably far superior to much of the current era's post-modern counterpart technology.

However, that sure doesn't mean I'm struck with amorous nostalgic longing for everything technological that came out of the aforementioned so-called “Golden Era” ---- I think some of it was sh_t to be honest, and some of it was mediocre at best compared to what we have now.

The old Rolex style “rivet” bracelets themselves are certainly O.K. enough and greatly charming in their own way if you like metal bracelets. But, the old style friction lock clasps these usually had are full of quirks that I too well remember from my own long ago use of that design bracelet/clasp that owners might want to be aware of should it not now be common knowledge, with the first quirk being in regards to using the top clasp frame's series of micro-adjustment holes for placing the clasp-to-bracelet attachment springbar:

If you place the clasp's adjustable attachment springbar forward (i.e. toward the clasp's tip-end crown symbol) by more than a click or so (perhaps even ANY clicks) from where it is clearly shown placed at it's rearmost position on Magirus's great rendition just above, and then you simply put your thumbnail under the end of the top clasp frame opposite to the crown symbol end, and keep lifting up, you might be surprised to find the “QUICK SELF-RELEASE FEATURE” I was always disturbed to find all of mine like these had.

However, if you always just keep the clasp-to-bracelet attachment springbar placed fully at its rearmost position exactly where Magirus's photograph shows it placed above, and only ever use the addition or removal of links to adjust bracelet fit, I don't think there's ever much of a problem at all as to "self-releasing" due that specific unintended engineering anomaly with these old style clasps.

BUT, then there's this type of friction lock clasp's even more covert "QUICK BACKUP SELF-RELEASE FEATURE” that, unless you're willing to keep your bracelet adjusted quite tightly to the wrist, can't be overridden. To demonstrate it while wearing the watch, just jam your finger (or something else like a pencil or perhaps a sturdy twig from the flora you might be exploring) between the top clasp frame and the folded leaves of the clasp's extension pieces that underly it and push forward toward the becrowned locking end of the clasp.

Also, very much as Carl.1 mentioned above, I still very much remember that over time and use, the friction-fit dependent locking tab of an old style clasp needs to be readjusted (as in carefully bent) once in a while to maintain any illusion of a sturdy enough lock up.

In a real world technological sense, I personally think that the much less nostalgic but nonetheless genuinely more reliably secure opposing push button lock release type deployant clasps like the new PRS-25 currently uses are a much better idea, and I even think using the more modern design clasp with the classic rivet style bracelet so many here seem to want recreated for the forthcoming small case 25 wouldn't detract much of the nostalgic appeal of the vintage inspired braceleting itself
    Last edited by Rollon; 19th November 2018 at 06:26.

How about a watch without bracelet or clasp

Master
    ^ That sounds almost too over sensible, Mr. Wozza

(Looks great on that "Desert Tan"[?] NATO, BTW)

Rollon, I understand your point.

Maybe the solution could be to have two clasps options to select, one the more functional one and the other one the "old style" aesthetic one.

Maybe the solution could be to have two clasps options to select, one the more functional one and the other one the "old style" aesthetic one.
    If that happens I’ll show my @r$e in Doggarts window, as we say up here. ;-)

F.T.F.A.

Master

Engi, why not just make one clasp that aesthetically looks and feels in almost every sense just like the old sheet steel composed vintage original Rolex Crown friction locking type you show above up at post #616 but, inside, mostly hidden and unseen, install the far more secure double opposing push button lock release mechanism so that the only outward sign it is the more modern positive locking type bracelet deployant clasp is that a little flat sheet steel button is slightly protruding from each side of the clasp?

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon View Post
    Engi, why not just make one clasp that aesthetically looks and feels in almost every sense just like the old sheet steel composed vintage original Rolex Crown friction locking type you show above up at post #616 but, inside, mostly hidden and unseen, install the far more secure double opposing push button lock release mechanism so that the only outward sign it is the more modern positive locking type bracelet deployant clasp is that a little flat sheet steel button is slightly protruding from each side of the clasp?

Rollon, perfect, I fully agree with you !!!!

Now we leave the floor to Eddie to understand if his watch maker can do this for us ...

Blog Entries
    Would anyone be able to possibly make a small video clip of the new Everest and load it to YouTube please ?

Journeyman
    How do I post images on here?

Quote Originally Posted by tcy148 View Post
    How do I post images on here?
    One basic method:

Craftsman
    [url=https://postimg.cc/phXpmzpw][img]https://i.postimg.cc/26nvXxmS/image.jpg[/

Nope, fail for me. I copied the line that you refer to after uploading an image to their site and this is all that happens. I could not use the blue button you show, it tells me to copy manually. ��
    Last edited by Carl.1; 19th November 2018 at 10:22.

[url=https://postimg.cc/phXpmzpw][img]https://i.postimg.cc/26nvXxmS/image.jpg[/

Nope, fail for me. I copied the line that you refer to after uploading an image to their site and this is all that happens. I could not use the blue button you show, it tells me to copy manually. 

There you go. Simply type [img] then paste in the URL (in this case https://i.postimg.cc/26nvXxmS/image.jpg) then type [/img] , with no gaps.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman

There you go. Simply type [img] then paste in the URL (in this case https://i.postimg.cc/26nvXxmS/image.jpg) then type [/img] , with no gaps.

From the Luddite to the image hero..thank you!

Journeyman

Thanks everyone!
    Here is my Smiths Everest on black leather and white stitching.

Alec

Journeyman

Brother from another mother.
    I love the vintage charms of the Smiths Everest.

Alec

Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Would anyone be able to possibly make a small video clip of the new Everest and load it to YouTube please ?

A small video as requested please ignore the fluffy specs lol

Last edited by inspector gadget; 21st November 2018 at 12:28.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by inspector gadget View Post
    A small video as requested please ignore the fluffy specs lol
    Meant in the kindest possible way, isn't a fixed angle video of a static object basically a photo? Other than seeing the movement of the second hand.