closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Smiths Everest PRS-25

Journeyman
    Going simply by the specs on the drawings for both shown earlier in the thread the 41mm version is going to have a 22mm lug width tapering to 20mm at the clasp and the 36mm is going to have a 20mm lug width tapering to 18mm. Eddie said the adjustable clasp wasn't available in 16mm hence only going down to 18mm.

Acha thanks for the clarification ^
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post

Eddie

The clasp looks as if made like a critical piece from the fine locking mechanism of a bank vault.

I've only worn my watches on nylon or leather, NATOs or 2-piece, etc., for years, but have at times used deployants for both the nylon and the leather 2-piece types, and I wore metal bands quite a bit in the distant past, but the metal band clasps I remember, and the more recent deployants I've had also, while being O.K. and useable enough, and undeniably convenient for fast on and off, were always, and without exception, of a stamped steel construction and very tinny in nature compared to what the above appears to be.

As such, I've never used premium, but the above certainly seems to be easily of that nature, and that appears to apply to the whole bracelet. In contrast, I know that older vintage folded steel Rolex bracelets, as would have come with the 1016 and certainly earlier reference Explorers, were apparently pretty much as tinny as I've been used to.

Unlike that, the new Everest bracelet and clasp seem, and actually appear to be, cut and machined from solid steel in the same exact spirit and manner as the casing of the watch is. It's very impressive done that way.

Also, and it could probably go unsaid here, but I think a very good thing regarding something I learned the value of in my own limited experience with clasps and deployants is the new clasp's simultaneous push required double opposing lock button release type mechanism for both the primary bracelet lock-up and the neat extension feature of this clasp. Given proper execution and break-in, I've never personally had that type of lock release mechanism open on its own during wear, and I'm enough of a worst case scenario tester to have tried to make mine do that to some extent. You pretty much have to deliberately pinch the two buttons from opposite directions simultaneously together or the thing won't open, and few natural scenarios a watch wearer might run into are going to trip locks like that without the watch wearer's own deliberate involvement (or maybe that of a pickpocket who wants your watch ................
    Last edited by Rollon; 28th October 2018 at 08:28.

Master

All I can say is :

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matt View Post

All I can say is :

IT'S A DEAL: YOU PAYPAL THE MONEY, I'LL BE GLAD TO SHUT UP, Rollon

Master
    This looks terrific.

A question: is the dial a deeper black than the matt black of the original? Wouldn't be a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by TheFixer View Post
    What is the retail price of the 36mm version? or approximate price?

Thank you.
    I believe you'll have to wait until they go on sale but from memory the originals at 41mm, without the saphire crystal, were around 225 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    I believe you'll have to wait until they go on sale but from memory the originals at 41mm, without the saphire crystal, were around 225 pounds.
    The Everest last sold for £245. This has the box sapphire, better bracelet and clasp.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Nearer to the price of the new 29a I would have thought.

The Everest last sold for £245. This has the box sapphire, better bracelet and clasp.

Eddie
    Thanks for the clarification Eddie and of course the upgrades are naturally going to make it worth a few more shekels, I was just trying to help the other poster out with an approximation.

SO around 295 pounds for the 41 mm and 275 pounds for the 36mm, just guessing

Does the new version with the addition of sapphire crystal and I believe you mentioned a movement cover also, dampen the rotor noise at all?

I´d guess it does make it less audible.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Nearer to the price of the new 29a I would have thought.
    I'd have thought so, too.

Like the look of the upgraded bracelet. Seriously wondering whether I should replace my current PRS-25 with a new version. I love the new dial, and Eddie's pictures bring that out beautifully. (It looks so much more... spacious.)
    Last edited by Dave E; 28th October 2018 at 14:00.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman
    I love a rotor i can hear.

Blog Entries
    Will it go on general sale on Tuesday 30th Eddie ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After careful consideration and reflecting on my Zex ownership, I think the 36 will be too small for me. The updated 41 looks incredible and I’d love to get one but alas I won’t be in a position to buy until after Christmas. Maybe even longer if the price is increased significantly:(

It's actually 40mm. I've measured it 12-6 and 2-8, it's 40mm.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    After careful consideration and reflecting on my Zex ownership, I think the 36 will be too small for me. The updated 41 looks incredible and I’d love to get one but alas I won’t be in a position to buy until after Christmas. Maybe even longer if the price is increased significantly:(
    I think that you should reserve judgement until the 36 appears. The Zex's bezel is quite thick and I think that the Everest will wear slightly larger.

However, I do recall that for a time your had one of the old Everests as your only watch so perhaps this 40mm one will be OK.

Is the lug to lug still around the 50mm Eddie? And is there any change to case/lug shape that might make it sit differently to the original Everest. In the photo's it looks to me (maybe wishfully) that lugs are a little shorter.

Sent from my PH-1 using some kind of voodoo

Quote Originally Posted by mrwozza70 View Post
    Is the lug to lug still around the 50mm Eddie? And is there any change to case/lug shape that might make it sit differently to the original Everest. In the photo's it looks to me (maybe wishfully) that lugs are a little shorter.

Sent from my PH-1 using some kind of voodoo
    Near enough, 49.8mm.

Eddie

I think that you should reserve judgement until the 36 appears. The Zex's bezel is quite thick and I think that the Everest will wear slightly larger.

However, I do recall that for a time your had one of the old Everests as your only watch so perhaps this 40mm one will be OK.
    You’re right I did and would still have it but for a bizarre set of circumstances involving Roland Kemmner ;)

Anyway I think 40mm along with the improvements would make it absolutely ideal for me. I have recently turned my attentions to other pastimes however I don’t have a watch other than the family heirloom Seiko which is neither a daily wearer or water resistant so I do worry about it when wearing it.

I’d hoped to get the new Everest on it’s launch to be my one-watch solution however funds won’t allow it until the new year unfortunately and I’m very sad about that :( (sad face)

I’d hoped to get the new Everest on it’s launch to be my one-watch solution however funds won’t allow it until the new year unfortunately and I’m very sad about that :( (sad face)
    By then I guess that the first ones will start popping up on SC

When I bought my 14270 I thought that I might have arrived at my one watch solution. However, it wasn't a 1016 so I felt dissatisfied despite it being a fabulous piece. The Zex felt perfect on my 6.75" but the dial design (especially the makers logo) didn't look quite right and the movements fitted these days are of variable quality in my opinion.

When I tried the old Everest it felt way too big to me especially on the bracelet.

The new 36 Everest looks just about ideal to me.

For me though it wont be a one watch solution as Ive come to the conclusion that I need at least a small selection of relatively low value pieces to be happy - which allows a bit of interest from rotation and capacity of regular flipping, both if which are integral to my enjoyment of watches.

Craftsman
    Thanks for the clarification Eddie and of course the upgrades are naturally going to make it worth a few more shekels, I was just trying to help the other poster out with an approximation.

SO around 295 pounds for the 41 mm and 275 pounds for the 36mm, just guessing

Does the new version with the addition of sapphire crystal and I believe you mentioned a movement cover also, dampen the rotor noise at all?

I´d guess it does make it less audible.
    I would be very surprised if the 41 mm comes in under £300. It's a lot better bracelet dial sapphire etc etc. It would still be worth it in my opinion .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

By then I guess that the first ones will start popping up on SC

When I bought my 14270 I thought that I might have arrived at my one watch solution. However, it wasn't a 1016 so I felt dissatisfied despite it being a fabulous piece. The Zex felt perfect on my 6.75" but the dial design (especially the makers logo) didn't look quite right and the movements fitted these days are of variable quality in my opinion.

When I tried the old Everest it felt way too big to me especially on the bracelet.

The new 36 Everest looks just about ideal to me.

For me though it wont be a one watch solution as Ive come to the conclusion that I need at least a small selection of relatively low value pieces to be happy - which allows a bit of interest from rotation and capacity of regular flipping, both if which are integral to my enjoyment of watches.
    I’m trying to dedicate time and money (not that I have much of either to spare!) to things other than watches so am happy with just one watch as long as it’s good quality and I love looking at it every day which the Everest is.

I've calculated the price but I can't remember whether I've told you what it is.

Eddie

Blog Entries

Smiths Everest PRS-25

Ha well if you told us may aswell tell us again to be doubly sure were all reading from the same page . All these original price prs 25 buyers are going to have to get onboard with the 2018 prices ! I think the upgrades will be worth the money . The only trouble is for me I can’t buy all three smiths so I have to pick one

Last edited by bond; 29th October 2018 at 00:03.

Banned
    Looks great.
    Last edited by James_; 29th October 2018 at 05:22.

I've calculated the price but I can't remember whether I've told you what it is.

Eddie
    12 months interest free?

Master
    12 months interest free?
    Yes, if you don't want to pay the full amount up front Eddie is happy to show no interest in you for 12 months.

- - - Updated - - -

12 months interest free?
    Yes, if you don't want to pay the full amount up front Eddie is happy to show no interest in you for 12 months.

Eddie
    Wasn't the figure £25/17/-6d
    bandied about?

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Very good :)

Quote Originally Posted by Faide View Post
    I would be very surprised if the 41 mm comes in under £300. It's a lot better bracelet dial sapphire etc etc. It would still be worth it in my opinion .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    The reason it's been out of stock for so long is because when I asked Roland Kemmner for a quote to make more, he gave me a price which meant I would have to sell it for £325 and that was with acrylic crystal. I didn't think I could implement such a large price increase so I shelved the idea.

Following his retirement on health grounds, a fellow microbrand owner introduced me to his manufacturer and the first model was the PRS-29A. I'm sure you'll agree, there are no concerns over quality. I make no secret that he's Hong Kong based and components are undoubtedly manufactured in China. He has access to a wider range of movements than Roland had, including ETA and Sellita. He's manufacturing for more than 20 microbrands, some of you will undoubtedly have his watches on your wrists.

Eddie

The reason it's been out of stock for so long is because when I asked Roland Kemmner for a quote to make more, he gave me a price which meant I would have to sell it for £325 and that was with acrylic crystal. I didn't think I could implement such a large price increase so I shelved the idea.

Following his retirement on health grounds, a fellow microbrand owner introduced me to his manufacturer and the first model was the PRS-29A. I'm sure you'll agree, there are no concerns over quality. I make no secret that he's Hong Kong based and components are undoubtedly manufactured in China. He has access to a wider range of movements than Roland had, including ETA and Sellita. He's manufacturing for more than 20 microbrands, some of you will undoubtedly have his watches on your wrists.

Eddie

Thanks Eddie, for me you made the right choice, I personally have no problem wearing a watch made in the Far East, assumed that the quality is high, like the PRS-29 and as I suppose is the PRS-25, and at a reasonably low price.

P.S. What is your opinion about the manufacture of the SEL Everest links, in particular I refer to the fact that the central part of SEL magic, the raised one, has to have a net and precise profile (and not "smooth" like that of other manufacturers , not of quality, of bracelets).

Quote Originally Posted by Engi View Post
    Thanks Eddie, for me you made the right choice, I personally have no problem wearing a watch made in the Far East, assumed that the quality is high, like the PRS-29 and as I suppose is the PRS-25, and at a reasonably low price.

P.S. What is your opinion about the manufacture of the SEL Everest links, in particular I refer to the fact that the central part of SEL magic, the raised one, has to have a net and precise profile (and not "smooth" like that of other manufacturers , not of quality, of bracelets).
    I'm not sure I understand your question.

Eddie

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Eddie
    I mean that the part of the SEL link in picture (within red circle) has a profile net and crispy, thanks

330£.

not too far off my guess then...the 36mm version might just squeeze under 300 pounds.

not too far off my guess then...the 36mm version might just squeeze under 300 pounds.
    Why do you think it would be cheaper?
    I would guess production costs to be very similar.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Why do you think it would be cheaper?
    I would guess production costs to be very similar.
    Only on the basis the smaller version of the 29 was cheaper, from memory.

Plus you might say I'm just hoping.

Only on the basis the smaller version of the 29 was cheaper, from memory.

Plus you might say I'm just hoping.
    The smaller 29 was acrylic though wasn't it? And the big one double dome sapph.

The smaller 29 was acrylic though wasn't it? And the big one double dome sapph.
    You've got a point though I still would imagine the 36 mm everest will be priced slightly lower than the 40mm version of the same watch.

Here's hoping anyway, I have the earlier version of the Everest and lovely as it is, I've a hankering to try the 36 mm version.

I think it looks amazing in the pictures

The earlier everest was so much 'meh' until I actually got one in the hand. It's one of those watches that's so much more than the sum of its posts. Deceptively simple, but everything just so right.

This one looks to be like a real improvement on what was already a pretty decent watch.

My preference would also be for the smaller one. I don't think I'll be pulling the trigger on one of those bad boys though. Trying to cut down and saving myself for the aerotimer.

I think it looks amazing in the pictures

The earlier everest was so much 'meh' until I actually got one in the hand. It's one of those watches that's so much more than the sum of its posts. Deceptively simple, but everything just so right.

This one looks to be like a real improvement on what was already a pretty decent watch.

My preference would also be for the smaller one. I don't think I'll be pulling the trigger on one of those bad boys though. Trying to cut down and saving myself for the aerotimer.
    Couldn't agree more, the original has everything just right. But the tweaks to the new version take it up another level. Although my wrist is almost 8 inches, 36mm is a bit of a leap of faith, I believe it will wear big due to the lug width and the 'rightness' of that case shape.

Yes, trying to cut down here too, failing, but if the 36mm is as I hope I'll have no reason not to try and sell on the original version.
    Last edited by Passenger; 29th October 2018 at 15:19.

So how much are they?

n2
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    So how much are they?

n2
    £330, which is a heck of a good price considering the upgrades IMHO. (And considering just how much watch prices in general have been going up over the last few years.)
    Dave E

The 36mm will be 3mm thinner.

Eddie

Eddie
    Wow, good to know thanks.

Master

Eddie
    Which one to get 🤔

Apprentice
    Well for me with a very average sized 7.25" wrist it's gotta be the 36mm ... especially now I know it's thinner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Which one to get
    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Eddie

Good news !

How do the dimensions compare to the older version? (Height and lug-to-lug, for example.)
    Dave E

Blog Entries

Smiths Everest PRS-25

Eddie , May I ask is the dial colour the same as the last Everest- Matt black or is it the same as the new 29a as in inky black ?