closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Does Fish Bladder Extract Really Add to the Flavor of Guinness Stout?

Apprentice

Does Fish Bladder Extract Really Add to the Flavor of Guinness Stout?

When it comes to traditional beer and ales, I'm more of an export lager drinker by nature. Though I rarely drink Guinness other than an occasional Black & Tan, does fish bladder extract really add to the characteristic of Guinness? It sounds gross.

Journeyman
    Isinglass is used to fine lots of beers, it's just a form of collagen really, but I suppose it must impart some kind of characteristic.

According to this report, Guinness intended to stop using isinglass in its products by the end of 2017.

https://qz.com/972741/guinness-is-el...riendly-stout/
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    I’m drinking one right now, no idea if there is fish bladder in it. But it’s sublime.

Since its a fining agent, it's taking away characteristics rather than adding them. Only traces remain after the process.

Journeyman
    Never thought of it that way, but I suppose you're right!

Master
    It’s taken from the swim bladder I believe. A friend used to run a microbrewery and he used a vegan alternative but I seem to remember it was not as effective.

it is traditionally used to cause flocculation in the brewing process - the amount added compared to the amount of water and stronger tasting stuff used I doubt it added much of a flavour
    but the die hards can taste the difference but that may also be a 'texture' thing too

damn vegan treehuggers - get away from my beer!

I remember years ago either Dennis Norden, or it might have been Frank Muir, being asked to describe what 'isinglass' was on Radio 4's My Word. Having successfully answered the question, they then went on to speculate about how many other items were unsuccessfully tried before they reached the swim bladder of a sturgeon fish.

Naively, I didn't add it to my first big batch of home brew I did. 'Eugh, no way' was my thought.

Yeah, won't be making that mistake again. My mate runs a pub and immediately told me I'd made an error as i proudly told him about my home brew. As said its a fining agent

I can't remember to what degree it's still standard practice, but good wine used to be fined with egg whites, which are particularly good at taking out tannins, if you're wanting to soften the wine you've made

Master
    I think fine clay (vermiculite sp???) is used for the vegan ales.

And it only applies 3 of its range anyway!

You would imagine that in this time, a modern, cheap, more efficient fining could be produced.

Master
    Moss is also used as a fineing.

I used to make my own liqueurs, and during the racking process used both fish swim bladder (isinglass), and clay (Bentonite, a clay made from volcanic ash) fining to clear the product.

Craftsman
    Guinness has stopped using Isinglass, I've seen the new filtration system that was installed in the brewery last year.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app