closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Things to do Orlando (other than parks)

I’ve rewatched my videos to make sure of the facts. I saw absolutely no signs of animal cruelty on my visit to Gatorland. During the “show” the alligators are encouraged to jump out of the water for chickens, but they are never teased by having the chickens pulled away at the last minute and a little bit of research shows that this behaviour comes entirely naturally to wild gators when feeding on nesting birds. They are being well fed but working for it in a way that they would naturally do, which is surely better for them. Yes, it is dressed up as a show with goofy commentary but that is what gets paying visitors through the door and enables them to keep the problem gators alive, healthy and happy.

The “Gator Wrestling” show involves no wrestling. It is a trained expert in with a gator giving a talk about them. He does sit on the gator for safety but there were no signs of distress. I would liken it to any of the many tv nature shows that have been made on gators or crocs, and nobody ever complains about them.

The only slightly dubious part is the opportunity to have your photo taken witha gator with a taped up mouth but, even then, the gator seemed healthy and there were no signs of distress. Again, a couple of times a year the Great British public are subjected to crocs with taped up mouths on that show with the gibbering Geordies, and I don’t see many complaining about that.

I’m very supportive of animal rights and am usually the first to complain if I see something off at a zoo, but I would have no issues with going back to Gatorland again.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    So, a week in the Canaries morphed into a fortnight villa holiday in Orlando. We have been several times and have the parks covered. I may be able to prise SWMBO away from Winnie The Pooh so don't intend to spend all our time in them.
    I know a lot of you guys are seasoned Florida visitors and am hoping you may be able to suggest some ideas for interesting places/things to visit. We have a car so anything within a days drive of Orlando will be great. We have previously done air-boating in the Everglades, balloon rides and Discovery Cove, but that sort of thing would be of interest thanks.
    Gator world is decent, and cheap for Florida .
    Not as big as the other parks, but my kids loved it.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    We took my lad to Gatorland when he was 6 on our first visit to Orlando (20yrs ago now!), and while he enjoyed it, I remember that I thought I could take it or leave it. It could have changed dramatically since, of course, and seems to be quite popular so may reconsider and mention it to SWMBO. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Craftsman
    The best days out we had was Kennedy Space Centre and Boggy Creek Airboat ride for the gators. Clearwater beach was good and had a couple of hours in Tampa aquarium where a friend of mine works, we went behind the scenes.

Master
    We did the airboat ride last time we went thanks, thoroughly enjoyed it.
    KSC keeps popping up, may have to make it a boys day out and SWMBO and my sister can do some shopping.

Master
    We used these guys for the airboat ride:
    http://www.orlandoairboattours.com/

The only one with a sun shade above the boat, so when you're out for 2 or 3 hours you don't get sunburnt, a much more pleasant experience. Also goes properly into the swampy creeks and mangroves not just round the edge of a reedy lake.