closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most disappointing concert .......

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Most disappointing concert .......

Inspired by comments elsewhere..... what was the most disappointing gig,concert or musical spectacular you have attended?

For me it was actually an Amy Winehouse gig in 2006 or 2007. I was expecting great things. She came out onto the stage apparently stoned and/or pissed and made a better than average (but not brilliant) attempt at her first number. Then she basically stopped for a bit whilst she attempted to ponce some smokes (or whatever) off the audience....the next song was akin to the mad cat lady on The Simpsons giving it large. As was the next. It was at this point I left and went to the pub.

The Rolling Stones at Wembley Stadium in 1982. When they first came on it was a case of wow, it's the Stones, but once the concert settled down and you paid attention and actually listened they were bloody aweful.

Master
    Simply Red @ O2 a couple of years back. Mrs wanted to go as part of her birthday celebrations, to say it was sh*te is an understatement.

To make matters worse I couldn’t even drown my sorrows after as the Intercontinental where we were staying decided it wasn’t worth keeping a bar open.

Master

Placebo, one of the biggest acts on the planet at the time at completely up their own arses and poor.

New Kids On The Block.

That is all.

Grand Master
    Stone Roses at Hyde Park a few years ago, alot of 45-55 year old men who had dropped their first E since 1990
    RIAC

Wembley Arena 1990 was not the Sisters of Mercy gig I had been looking for

I went to see Mansun at The Cockpit in Leeds around 1997.

Was really looking forward to seeing them as it was around the time ‘Stripper Vicar’ was released. Went to the gents after the first song and whilst I was away there was some crowd trouble and the band walked off. Think I paid £10 for about 3 minutes of entertainment.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mac View Post
    Simply Red @ O2 a couple of years back. Mrs wanted to go as part of her birthday celebrations, to say it was sh*te is an understatement.

To make matters worse I couldn’t even drown my sorrows after as the Intercontinental where we were staying decided it wasn’t worth keeping a bar open.
    Snap! Well almost. I’ve only ever been to two concerts. One, Simply Red in Bath probably 15 years or more ago and it was also sh*t. My only other one was Take That on New Years Eve at the O2. It was televised so we all had to pretend it was New Year at around 9:00. They did apologise though and basically said we're going to sing a load of crap until they we go live at about 11:00. Both these concerts were to keep the wife happy. She loved 'em both.

Craftsman
    Paul Young supporting Genesis at Leeds Roundhay Park , T' Pau supporting Bryan Adams at Leeds Queens hall ... Rubbish , Status Quo supporting Queen and I loved them as a yoof but they were crap live
    Robert Kray was ok though considering I'd never seen him

Thin Lizzy at NEC in 2007......

Just one death away - from being a shit tribute band.

Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    Paul Young supporting Genesis at Leeds Roundhay Park , T' Pau supporting Bryan Adams at Leeds Queens hall ... Rubbish , Status Quo supporting Queen and I loved them as a yoof but they were crap live
    Robert Kray was ok though considering I'd never seen him
    I was there and thought Paul Young was pretty good IIRC.

I went a couple of years later when Lisa Stansfield was supporting them and wasn’t so impressed.

Guns n Roses, Hard Rock Las Vegas, crowd were more interested in fighting than listening, I kid you not at least two people taken to hospital in ambulances within 30 mins of them coming on stage nearly an hour late.

Memorable for all the wrong reasons

Grand Master
    Santana a few years ago at manchester arena, i knew their albums had been limp for years but their live reputation was stellar. by the third drum solo i was spending more time in the bar than in my seat - and the arena bar is pricey!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I went a couple of years later when Lisa Stansfield was supporting them and wasn’t so impressed.
    I think my judgement may have been clouded by the fact I didn’t like him full stop and still don’t 🤭

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

I think my judgement may have been clouded by the fact I didn’t like him full stop and still don’t 🤭

Madness - Leeds Arena last year, very poor.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

The most expensive night out of my life took in Tiffanys and Ceasars Palace in Las Vegas. I really wanted to hate Rod Stewart; but found the show irresistibly enjoyable.

I knew then that the last embers of the wife and I's teenage rebellion bad been extinguished and we'd become the people we once despised.

Thin Lizzy Renegade tour - Poole Arts Centre - 1980. Nothing wrong with the band, but we had to leave early to get the bus home to Blandford Forum (apparently an interesting Georgian town). The bus was late so we saw everyone leaving the venue opposite. First and last concert I went to. Then as now, I don't own a car!

Journeyman
    Bob Dylan 2003, thought I better see him before he dies..played a 10 minute medley of his greatest hits and two hours worth of his latest pap. To be fair he was knocking on but it was like a less animated version of Shane MacGowan on a bad day.

Craftsman
    I though the same about the stones and I should see them before it’s too late but seeing them on the tv at Glastonbury convinced me not to

Fleetwood Mac at the o2 - whilst they were good , the venue is awful. Acoustically and seats were high up in the heavens . May as well watched it on TV. Best was Tears for Fears at he royal Albert hall a few months ago .

Talking Heads Wembley Arena early 1980s, really liked Talking Heads but horrible over amplified, grinding rock sound. (Best, Test Department (Einstürzende Neubauten..ish, industrial art for you young ‘uns) at the Roundhouse around the same time)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Prince at the O2. Only played for a v short time. My son managed to get to the after show party where he played twice as long.

Elvis - he left the stadium (early)

Blondie at the IOW Festival. Not like I remembered from my youth. Far from it.

Master
    On this thread: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...highlight=cult

I posted:

I saw the Cult at the Wembley Arena during the Electric tour and spent the whole evening wishing I was at the pub...

To which sswiss replied

From memory they did 2 nights Wembley Arena on that tour, the night I went they were quite entertaining.....especially the encore....

Astbury had been drinking Blue Nun or something all evening and was, by the end Pi$$ed. During the encore - (Possibly Born to be Wild or Zap City...can't remember which)....He ran off stage then ran back on stage, stumbled over the discarded mic stand, which he then it picked up and started smashing up the drum kit....Les Warner kicked over the rest and left, I seem to remember Astbury jumping into the Crowd while Duffy left his White Gretch wailing and feeding back propped up against the Marshall Stack...

Rock'n'roll

That's how I remember it...I was quite pi$$ed too though ;)
    which explained a lot, on top of an album I disliked they were crap!

Ultramarine.

The worst: Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Best: Oasis in a bar, it was great except for Liam getting raging at Noel for wanting to sing half the songs, and I don't blame him.

I've since realised that Noel Gallagher is just another Bono ie: he writes good songs, but he's a bell end.

Blog Entries
    The Primitives at The International, Manchester in the late 1980’s.

Thankfully, they only lasted about 30min

z

James Sheffield City Hall in 2000.

Played basically a full set of new stuff

Stuff that were brilliant tunes eventually but unknown at the time and they got the gig wrong.

Thankfully even though I said I’d never see them again, they were on in San Fran in 2008 and absolute class

Oh and basically all the oasis gigs I went to. Even though I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    James Sheffield City Hall in 2000.

Played basically a full set of new stuff

Stuff that were brilliant tunes eventually but unknown at the time and they got the gig wrong.

Thankfully even though I said I’d never see them again, they were on in San Fran in 2008 and absolute class

Oh and basically all the oasis gigs I went to. Even though I love them.
    Did they at least play "Ring The Bells"?

Master
    Prince at the Manchester Arena. But it was only disappointing because I had seen him a few months before in the 2,000 capacity Manchester Academy and it was nothing short of a spiritual experience. It can't be put into words how good he was live and that Hit n Run your he did with 3rd Eye Girl was simply sublime. I could see it every night and never get bored. The MEN Arena paled in significance even though every element was higher production
    Last edited by Schofie; 9th February 2018 at 23:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    The Primitives at The International, Manchester in the late 1980’s.

Thankfully, they only lasted about 30min

z
    I saw the Primitives in the 80s too and they were pretty poor, my g/f of the time liked them but I didn't object too much to going because the support were the Blue Aeroplanes who were superb live (but less good on record sadly).

Master
    Someone else who shares the irony in Blandford being an interesting Georgian town.

Worst gig Phats and Small at Cov uni late 90’s they didn’t turn up, and my ended up in hospital due to having his drink spiked.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    The worst: Red Hot Chili Peppers

The Best: Oasis in a bar, it was great except for Liam getting raging at Noel for wanting to sing half the songs, and I don't blame him.

I've since realised that Noel Gallagher is just another Bono ie: he writes good songs, but he's a bell end.
    Very similar. Oasis aren't exactly a favourite of mine but seeing them live, front row centre, was immense.

RHCP are hugely overrated and were poor live when I saw them. Actual worst was Razorlight (remember them?) Saw them right at their peak and they were utter garbage. Basically just Johnny Borell pouncing about and showing off - seem to remember he was knobbing someone like Kirsten Dunst at the time.

Actual best ones were a toss up between Tool (first time around at the MEN) or Faith No More.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Joe Bonamasa - Shepherds Bush Empire 27/03/13

I love JB and had seen him several times before, but this was "Blues Evening" & it was 100% blues with none of his really best stuff.

Never bothered to go to another of his concerts since.

The Foo Fighters were quite disappointing at Milton Keynes Bowl in 2015 too. OK Dave Grohl has a busted leg, but it was just nowhere near as good as previous FF gigs I've seen.
    Last edited by andy tims; 10th February 2018 at 09:15.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by studly View Post
    Did they at least play "Ring The Bells"?
    Sadly no. They sort of premiered the Pleased to meet you album months before it came out. Was just strange.

The sad thing was even years after its release people shouted sing sit down. A song I never really liked as well although looking back it was great

Journeyman
    Another vote for T'Pau, somewhere in Birmingham in the 90's. Absolutely no atmosphere.

Probably Lou Reed, Melbourne Olympic Park, April 1995. He was in a bad mood, walked offstage a couple of times, was dragged back onstage by the members of L7 who joined him on a song (the highlight) and did a short set. I remember being generally very unimpressed.

Oasis Wembley

Total utter tosh

Master
    Queen.

I walked out in the middle of Bohemian Rhapsody.

I never knew it was going to be taped.

Rob.

Then hotly tipped Indie flavour of the month - The Beta Band. Utter utter garbage, couldn’t play and had very annoying girlfriends cheering them on.

The Killers at Oxygen festival in Ireland back in 2005, Christ they sounded shit especially as i’d been waiting all day to hear them...

On holiday in Florida many moons ago, saw that Metallica were playing the local enormodome and thought it would be a good idea to go.

Was basically just noise, and excruciatingly loud noise at that.

Left early.

Ours was about 25 years ago, Eric Clapton and Elton John at Wembley.

It was so bad a number of people walked out including ourselves.

The annoying thing was how many touts tried to buy our tickets on the way in.

Interesting thread.

Years ago I worked in music television, so saw huge numbers of bands live. Many were variable to say the least.

In recent years it has to be Razorlight. They came on stage, performed adequately, and left. Zero interaction with the audience of about five thousand- didn’t speak to them at all.

And as a result it had no atmosphere at all. The frontman has always been completely up himself apparently and it showed.

I thought it was just rude.

Master
    Whitney Houston in the early 90s. Came on, sung 2 songs, when off and when she came back on she announced some blx about one of her road crews mum has died, so she dedicate the next (and last) song to her and that was that.

The other was Clapton at the Hydro in Glasgow a year or 2 ago. Not sure who did the sound check but it was so muddy, you couldn’t hear much at all. Eventually he went off in a strop, with no crowd interaction at all.

Many of these are pretty predictable TBH.

I paid to see The Pips.
    I was expecting Gladys -Knight-style Motown - what I got was the Greenwich Time Signal.

I wasn't tempted by the Greatest Hits CDs on sale.

Another one for RHCP - saw them in Derby at Pride Park when they were touring Stadium Arcadium. I was a huge fan at the time, and they clearly couldn't be bothered. Massively disappointing.

Best for me was Alter Bridge in Birmingham. Myles Kennedy is quite simply the best vocalist in rock today, and loses none of his power or range singing live