closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 61

Thread: Gold vs stainless steel rolexes

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    329

    Gold vs stainless steel rolexes

    Hi

    I'm sure this has been talked about before, but can't seem to find the thread on it.

    Purely talking about the secondary market here - do you feel that stainless steel prices are severely overvalued when compared to their white/yellow gold siblings? Case in point, white gold daytona is only about £2-4k more expensive than the new steel daytona.

    Thanks
    Kevin

  2. #2
    Not really, most people prefer steel over gold. There's not a model in the Rolex lineup I'd choose gold or bi-metal over steel.

    Bi-metal in particular I dislike, they all look a bit dated.

  3. #3
    Craftsman ordo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    921
    As Chris said, many simply don't like gold watches, in general, because they're seen as tacky or opulent.

    Also, to be honest, you can't wear a solid gold watch with ANY type of clothing, unless you're the son of an arab petro billionaire or something (even then, it doesn't mean that it looks good). It'll feel nice with a suit, for example, but not jeans and a hoodie...

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,243
    As someone who has had both ceramic Daytona and white gold Daytona...no contest. The gold version feels a far nicer, more 'special' watch. Most people seem to find that. It's hard to explain until you try both. As far as I can see, buying a suitable gold version for not much more is a no brainer. You just get a lot more value for your money.
    But, for me, if you have a bracelet, only white gold as coloured gold seems too much (personal thing.) with a nice strap, maybe yellow gold.
    But as I said, it's not much good approaching this in a theoretical way; you have to put them on your wrist.or as a watch guy I know remarked when he put the gold Daytona on. ''That feels really special...''. All psychology? Maybe, but that doesn't make it less real an experience.
    And 'Ordo'....white gold is not detectable ; it's a private pleasure.

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,123
    The problem with a YG Rolex is not so much the watch as the big chunky bracelet. It just looks bloody plain vulgar. Basically you will be spending a lot of money to make yourself look cheap.

    Toning it down with a leather strap would be an option but then you have a few grands worth of gold lying around doing nothing.

    Just settle for a SS model because you can't go much wrong.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Between here, there and nowhere
    Posts
    3,323
    Pah, gold watches, all cheapskates, Pt all the way, under the radar stealth wealth

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    Purely talking about the secondary market here - do you feel that stainless steel prices are severely overvalued when compared to their white/yellow gold siblings? Case in point, white gold daytona is only about £2-4k more expensive than the new steel daytona.
    Yes, it does seem that way, but the thing is, that question assumes the notional value difference is only in the asset metal – Stainless Steel (SS) vs. Precious Metal (PM).

    In reality, it’s more complex than that, and often the market sets the value, rather than logic.

    Scarcity/rarity is often a price driver in itself – for new models like the Ceramic Daytona, there’s novelty & pure hype drivers in addition.

    Supply/Demand – as already suggested, many people don’t have love for gold & bi-metal.

    PM models are often inflated in price to begin with – not always, but usually the price differential between SS & PM versions of the same watch model cannot be explained solely by the difference in raw material costs (plus extra machining, security, waste collection etc. costs). PM prices are often given a further ‘exclusivity boost’, which is why many push for discount when buying new, and values then fall further on the secondary market.

  8. #8
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
    Yes, it does seem that way, but the thing is, that question assumes the notional value difference is only in the asset metal – Stainless Steel (SS) vs. Precious Metal (PM).

    In reality, it’s more complex than that, and often the market sets the value, rather than logic.

    Scarcity/rarity is often a price driver in itself – for new models like the Ceramic Daytona, there’s novelty & pure hype drivers in addition.

    Supply/Demand – as already suggested, many people don’t have love for gold & bi-metal.

    PM models are often inflated in price to begin with – not always, but usually the price differential between SS & PM versions of the same watch model cannot be explained solely by the difference in raw material costs (plus extra machining, security, waste collection etc. costs). PM prices are often given a further ‘exclusivity boost’, which is why many push for discount when buying new, and values then fall further on the secondary market.
    yeah i guess you are right, in the end it comes down to supply and demand rather than "intrinsic value", if there is even such a thing in watches.

    i assume by exclusivity boost, you mean that steel is more exclusive than PM?

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,833
    Looking at it the other way round, you could say that yellow gold is quite undervalued due to being out of fashion currently.

  10. #10
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,168
    Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post
    As Chris said, many simply don't like gold watches, in general, because they're seen as tacky or opulent.

    Also, to be honest, you can't wear a solid gold watch with ANY type of clothing, unless you're the son of an arab petro billionaire or something (even then, it doesn't mean that it looks good). It'll feel nice with a suit, for example, but not jeans and a hoodie...
    Disagree, it depends on the watch. A vintage gold watch on a strap looks fine with anything. Nothing wrong with gold or bimetal, it all depends on the watch.

    Over the years the manufacturers have hiked up the prices to a point where people can`t afford the bimetal and gold models, that's one good reason why they've gone into decline. Also a lot of tacky looking gold plated stuff in the 90s and noughties, jewellers shops used to be full of them.

    I`d hardly call this these two tacky or opulent.....and they're both gold!





    I rest my case!

    Paul

  11. #11
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,243
    It's an odd discussion in some ways; all luxury watches are a form of self-indulgence (and why not!). Whether you fancy steel/two-tone/gold /ceramic/titanium/platinum is purely a personal choice. The odd thing with the Daytona is a by-product of the scarcity of steel ceramics, but it will probably result in some rise in the cost of gold versions, because when the price gap gets too close, the market adjusts.

  12. #12
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    hull
    Posts
    12,540
    I’ve always found the gold Rolex models too bling, those vintage Omegas on the other hand are just about perfect!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!



  13. #13
    Whilst I don't actually mind them too much myself (though wouldn't wear one), I definitely notice that gold is also a more common choice among non enthusiasts who purchase without any consideration to second hand value (a luxury I don't have). Bought new, often without a discount and with little regard for residuals, perfect for some of us lot.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    "intrinsic value", if there is even such a thing in watches.
    Yes, you've hit the nail on the head there, I think - luxury goods, by their definition, often don't make much logical sense. Personally, I still look for some semblance of 'value for money', but often it's tricky.

    Quote Originally Posted by Allwatches View Post
    i assume by exclusivity boost, you mean that steel is more exclusive than PM?
    More that the Brands make it expensive because of the 'fanciness' quotient (for want of a better phrase) - so platinum, for instance, is often seen as the premium model, and priced as such to reflect exclusivity (above & beyond the actual additional cost to use platinum over SS). It's a bit like the 'Carlsberg' adverts - 'Reassuringly Expensive'.

    This 'Quill & Pad' article ('Here’s Why: Stainless Steel Is The Most Precious Metal') is quite interesting on this topic: http://quillandpad.com/2016/12/18/he...recious-metal/

  15. #15
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Berks
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Not really, most people prefer steel over gold. There's not a model in the Rolex lineup I'd choose gold or bi-metal over steel.

    Bi-metal in particular I dislike, they all look a bit dated.
    Exactly, Bi-Metal is so 80's and unlike many fashions, it never really came back.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Exactly, Bi-Metal is so 80's and unlike many fashions, it never really came back.

    I’m soooooo 80s.

    Instagram- ramsdenswhitby
    Facebook- Ramsdens Whitby

  17. #17
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Leicester England
    Posts
    386
    Ive always liked the 16613 (bi submariner) but couldn't understand the price being so close. When you look past the initial shock of steel being almost the same price as gold and you realise that these watches are priced so far above the total sum of their parts, it makes a touch more sense. Theres probably not £2k more of raw material even.

  18. #18
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,243
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    I’ve always found the gold Rolex models too bling, those vintage Omegas on the other hand are just about perfect!
    A white gold Rolex is often rather less 'bling' than some of the favourite sports watches in steel. We could start with models such as the Hulk and BLNR. Hardly retiring designs. Then some of the Yachtmaster range. Rolex doesn't stint on such showy designs, because customers love them.
    But then, how many people contributing to this thread have ever owned a gold watch . The variety is huge. Generalisations are just that.....I have mainly steel watches, but a couple of gold ones too. If I had the cash, in would love one platinum watch. Sadly, just too expensive, even second-hand.

  19. #19
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,168
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Exactly, Bi-Metal is so 80's and unlike many fashions, it never really came back.
    I think you'll find it never went away. Rolex still sell plenty of bimetal watches; the bimetal Rolex Datejust is always popular.

    there's definitely an age factor; younger people have negative perceptions about these things, plus the fact that they're scared of looking 'uncool'. Eventually you reach an age where you like what you like, the fact that you liked it 20+ years ago doesn`t have to matter. For most of us it's one of the few virtues of the ageing process.

    There's very little choice in solid gold watches thesedays if you don`t want to spend megabucks, the days of the affordable 9ct gold models are long gone. Anyone buying a gold or even a bimetal watch new has to accept it'll lose a significant amount of it's value, but I`m a firm believer in buying watches to keep indefinitely so that wouldn`t necessarily put me off. I don`t grasp the idea of buying a watch in the knowledge that you'll sell it in the not too distant future, that's OK with cars but if I like a watch enough to buy it, I like it enough to keep it.

    One drawback with gold or bimetal bracelet watches is the durability aspect; look at all the old Rolex Day-Dates and Jubilee Datejusts with worn out bracelets. Conversely, a gold watch on a strap wears fine unless you do manual work. I`ve worn gold watches on a regular basis in the past and never had any problems.





    Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 7th February 2018 at 19:12.

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. Odiáxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    7,316
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Exactly, Bi-Metal is so 80's and unlike many fashions, it never really came back.
    I rather like mine. In its element last summer:


  21. #21
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,168
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk View Post
    I’ve always found the gold Rolex models too bling, those vintage Omegas on the other hand are just about perfect!
    Jon, you're a man of good taste

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I rather like mine. In its element last summer:


    +1...........I could afford the watch but not the boat to go with it

  22. #22
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Surrey, UK. Odiáxere or somewhere in-between
    Posts
    7,316
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

    +1...........I could afford the watch but not the boat to go with it
    me too. Unfortunately I was only crew. Great guy owns it and there is a back story. I’ll let you know if we ever meet at a GTG.

    Martyn.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I rather like mine. In its element last summer:

    Ohhh! That is rather nice.

  24. #24
    Bit of a pointless thread. Chalk & cheese comes to mind. All you need to remember is Gold Rolexes depreciate & steel ones appreciate in value.

  25. #25
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    Posts
    17,168
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Bit of a pointless thread. Chalk & cheese comes to mind. All you need to remember is Gold Rolexes depreciate & steel ones appreciate in value.
    Sometimes it’s not about the money, some folks place a premium on buying what they like.

    Paul

  26. #26
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,243
    Quite. If money is all that matters, don't buy luxury watches to start with. Or a quality car, or nice clothes; certainly don't waste money on holidays , that money is a total write-off. Best to avoid restaurants and pubs too. You lose your money every time.....
    And confine your watch hobby to only buying steel sports Rolexes. Doesn't matter if you actually like them....
    Last edited by paskinner; 7th February 2018 at 22:20.

  27. #27
    I like both. At the right price I would buy either. I’d love the blue dial version of Alex’s Sub!
    It's just a matter of time...

  28. #28
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Leicester England
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Bit of a pointless thread.
    That should be your signature.

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    That should be your signature.
    Post, rather than thread though.
    It's just a matter of time...

  30. #30
    Master Caruso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worthing
    Posts
    1,785
    It's a funny old world when Stainless Steel is the precious metal.

    But then a reality distortion field has always been standard on Rolex watches!
    Last edited by Caruso; 7th February 2018 at 23:23.

  31. #31
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    830
    Blog Entries
    1
    Someone said they had both daytonas in gold and s/s and prefered the former.

    I had both, still own the s/s ceramic daytona. To me s/s is much lighter and a whole lot more comfortable to wear. Gold daytonas are ridiculously heavy and unwearable for me. The better ones are those on straps but then they are still very top heavy.

    Side note: in the world of Patek, it's the s/s models that command the huge premiums. Modern or vintage.

  32. #32
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Corona Borealis
    Posts
    6,864
    I think it’s fair to say that Rolex are a well enough traded “commodity” that whatever they sell for is typically a fair representation of their market value. Whether precious metal is worth the premium over steel to an individual person is entirely subjective. In both cases the watch is worth substantially more than the sum of its parts.

  33. #33
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Berks
    Posts
    768
    I turned 50 last month, how old do I need to be to like gold watches?
    I am a great believer in owning stuff I like and many hate the choices I have made.
    Fiyta 3D
    Hamilton Ventura XXL
    Corum Bubble
    Oris Skeleton
    Bradley Eone and 100's more

    I don't like the look of them, never have, I do have 80's Tissots and Raymond Weils in Gold but rarely wear them.

    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I think you'll find it never went away. Rolex still sell plenty of bimetal watches; the bimetal Rolex Datejust is always popular.

    there's definitely an age factor; younger people have negative perceptions about these things, plus the fact that they're scared of looking 'uncool'. Eventually you reach an age where you like what you like, the fact that you liked it 20+ years ago doesn`t have to matter. For most of us it's one of the few virtues of the ageing process.

    There's very little choice in solid gold watches thesedays if you don`t want to spend megabucks, the days of the affordable 9ct gold models are long gone. Anyone buying a gold or even a bimetal watch new has to accept it'll lose a significant amount of it's value, but I`m a firm believer in buying watches to keep indefinitely so that wouldn`t necessarily put me off. I don`t grasp the idea of buying a watch in the knowledge that you'll sell it in the not too distant future, that's OK with cars but if I like a watch enough to buy it, I like it enough to keep it.

    One drawback with gold or bimetal bracelet watches is the durability aspect; look at all the old Rolex Day-Dates and Jubilee Datejusts with worn out bracelets. Conversely, a gold watch on a strap wears fine unless you do manual work. I`ve worn gold watches on a regular basis in the past and never had any problems.





    Paul

  34. #34
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    12,427
    Soooo love my tacky bi-metal.............................



    (don't tell anyone but I wear it with jeans as well)........#Philistine!!

  35. #35
    Though not a fan of bi-metal generally, at this point there are two exceptions to my personal rule:

    - A DateJust like that above - it's such a classic look, it almost has to be 'done' in that fashion.
    - Tudor Black Bay Steel & Gold - that's just a killer design

  36. #36
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI USA
    Posts
    2,128
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    Bit of a pointless thread. Chalk & cheese comes to mind. All you need to remember is Gold Rolexes depreciate & steel ones appreciate in value.
    Go price a solid gold zenith Daytona and compare that to SS. Solid gold is starting to absolutely boom in vintage.

  37. #37
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    ealing
    Posts
    433

    Gold vs stainless steel rolexes

    I’ve owned many steel and gold steel Rolex sport watches . Gold steel is definitely more attractive and blingy . However the gold links are a scratch magnet and I find the watch is not as practical to wear on a daily basis . Steel models are so versatile and can be worn day in day out , at work , pleasure and dressed up . That’s why steel models have more appeal and hold their prices so well . This is reflected by the fact steel models are impossible to buy at the moment ( New at RRP ) , however gold models are available everywhere even with some discount .


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  38. #38
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,243
    Quote Originally Posted by charlies View Post
    I’ve owned many steel and gold steel Rolex sport watches . Gold steel is definitely more attractive and blingy . However the gold links are a scratch magnet and I find the watch is not as practical to wear on a daily basis . Steel models are so versatile and can be worn day in day out , at work , pleasure and dressed up . That’s why steel models have more appeal and hold their prices so well . This is reflected by the fact steel models are impossible to buy at the moment ( New at RRP ) , however gold models are available everywhere even with some discount .


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I find my steel Rolex scratch just as easily .They all scratch, steel or gold.. And of course steel watches sell more quickly, they cost a lot less. And it's not true that you can just pick-up any gold Rolex. I had to wait months. Look at, say, 'Watchfinder'....there are at least 10 steel Rolexes for every gold one.
    It's just personal choice, all luxury watches are a form of jewellery. There's no 'right; or 'wrong'. I recently picked-up an 18k gold Omega, as new, for less than the price of some of their steel or ceramic ones. And it looks just great. Bargains are bargains, whatever the metal,

  39. #39

    Red face

    Flattery will get you no where

    Quote Originally Posted by anz3001 View Post
    That should be your signature.

  40. #40
    Master shalako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    3,935
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I rather like mine. In its element last summer:

    Very nice Martyn, I really like mine too.....


  41. #41
    Master spuds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,365
    “Me and Mine”s current collection.



    IMHO you can’t beat the feel of (white) gold on the wrist but yes the steel watches are indeed better ‘investments’.

    Having said all that a blue two-tone Sub’ takes some beating in the sun too so ‘horses for courses’ really.

  42. #42
    I would go full yellow gold! :D

    For me the most beautiful watch is the presidential yellow gold black face with diamonds instead of the numbers!

    But as everything is just a personal preference :D

  43. #43
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI USA
    Posts
    2,128
    Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    “Me and Mine”s current collection.



    IMHO you can’t beat the feel of (white) gold on the wrist but yes the steel watches are indeed better ‘investments’.

    Having said all that a blue two-tone Sub’ takes some beating in the sun too so ‘horses for courses’ really.
    I like that salmon DJ. I may have to hunt one down.

  44. #44
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,243
    So, there you have it.Buy what you like; don't bother to 'justify' your taste. It's simply your taste. Who cares what other buyers think. It's not their money.

  45. #45
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Exactly, Bi-Metal is so 80's and unlike many fashions, it never really came back.
    There's still time for it to come back. Tudor certainly seem to be betting on it...

    I agree with all the posts about fashion, I think essentially that's what it comes down to. Go back 10 years and gold jewellery generally was out of fashion, from wedding bands to watches. Then rose gold quickly became very popular amongst the younger folk and now yellow gold is becoming popular too. I see more and more people in their 20s and 30s wearing gold generally, and, while a solid YG rolex sub remains (and probably always has been) a bold statement, I can see bi-metal versions of sports watches becoming more fashionable over the next few years. And if that happens, you might be grateful you invested in that bargain bi-metal Rolex after all!

  46. #46
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,243
    A comparison. Gold and ceramic Daytonas.


    And a gold Omega . Not available in steel...so no argument there.




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  47. #47
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,243
    And a comparison of the white gold Day Date 40, and the new Datejust 41mm in steel. You can see a family resemblance I think.

    As the Day Date is not available in steel, the gold/steel debate doesn't work anyway. There are quite a few watches unavailable in steel.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by paskinner; 9th February 2018 at 15:12.

  48. #48
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    329
    Can't really see the difference between white gold and stainless steel... I guess more of a feeling (and potentially the actually tangible feeling) of gold vs steel.

  49. #49
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    4,243
    But that's part of the attraction. They look similar, but they don't feel similar. Like so many things, you have to try it, see what you think.
    It's entirely personal.

  50. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    But that's part of the attraction. They look similar, but they don't feel similar. Like so many things, you have to try it, see what you think.
    It's entirely personal.
    Unusually ( :) ) I agree with you. Gold feels very different to me. White gold warms up quicker than steel. I always preferred wearing my white gold Daytona than any of the steel once Ive owned.

    But the most important thing is the looks - you have to really like the way your watch looks to enjoy wearing it - luckily I love the look of lots of difference watches, in steel, gold, Ti, Carbon etc. Etc. So there really isn’t an issue and therefore lots and lots of choice.
    It's just a matter of time...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •