closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creation Watches Import Duty

Creation Watches Import Duty

Hi all

I read on a another post in here somewhere that they got an SKX007 from Creation with the Import tax being not applicable.

I'm just about to order one, does anyone know if I have to order in a particular way? I can't see any boxes to tick or anything.

Cheers!

Ok I think this was the thread http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...-duty-heads-up

Think I'll risk it!

Master
    Pay the £6 something Royal mail delivery option. They have a depot in I think Ireland, and it will come to you from there, vat free.
    You don't get a watch box with this option, but paying 20% vat plus £15 handling fee with the other options would make it an expensive cardboard seiko box.
    Last edited by Evanssprky; 6th February 2018 at 23:44.

I would factor in 20% vat and a Couriers handling fee as there is a strong chance you will be charged it. It then all boils down to the numbers.

Just sussed out the £6 Royal Mail no box option and gone for that. Seems pretty cheap at that price!! :)

They give you some sort of special delivery option when ordering, this is essentially the tax free tick box (they don't really make this clear). If you select normal postage you'll end up getting an email from the courier saying your item is at customs and you need to pay £X (20% of value) to release it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferdinand101 View Post
    Just sussed out the £6 Royal Mail no box option and gone for that. Seems pretty cheap at that price!! :)
    That's the one

As you've said £6.00 Royal mail option. You don't get the box but it wasn't something that bothered me and it took roughly a week to land

Master
    Nice! Smart bit of tax avoidance. If the loop hole is there why not use it

Quote Originally Posted by Robins View Post
    As you've said £6.00 Royal mail option. You don't get the box but it wasn't something that bothered me and it took roughly a week to land
    You do get the box if you buy it separately for about £6. I did this the other week. Took about 5 days to arrive, with the watch in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by nunya View Post
    Avoidance or evasion?

I can't see how it can be legally landed tax free in Ireland...

Ireland have VAT, don't they?

M

How is it tax avoidance? However Creation get it to the EU is their problem. The buyer gets the watch delivered from an EU address so no VAT to pay.

Craftsman
    There is no such thing as a tax loophole. That is a term applied by customs themselves and the government to get it into peoples psyche that they are avoiding tax when this is not true.

If the law allows you to do something then it is a lawful right, not a loophole, to be able to walk down the street is not a loophole in your liberty.

I dislike the terms used by the government and press when they want us to think we should pay taxes that lawfully we do not have to pay. Bastards.

Rant over, sorry.

Calm again now and waiting with a bit of excitement for my PRS-29b that is incoming.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    How is it tax avoidance? However Creation get it to the EU is their problem. The buyer gets the watch delivered from an EU address so no VAT to pay.
    Exactly. I'll explain it to you.

Creation ship to you directly, tax it payable, if you are lucky enough not 'to get caught' that's tax evasion.
    Creation ship to an EU address, then it is shipped to you from that EU address, no tax is applicable (to you) that's tax avoidance

One is illegal the other legal

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Avoidance or evasion?

I can't see how it can be legally landed tax free in Ireland...

Ireland have VAT, don't they?

M
    Creation ship to you directly, tax it payable, if you are lucky enough not 'to get caught' that's tax evasion.
    Creation ship to an EU address, then it is shipped to you from that EU address, no tax is applicable (to you) that's tax avoidance
    The Irish stop over, isn't your problem.

Craftsman
    Exactly. I'll explain it to you.

One is illegal the other legal
    If no tax is applicable then how can it be tax avoidance, you can not be avoiding something you do not have to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl.1 View Post
    If no tax is applicable then how can it be tax avoidance, you can not be avoiding something you do not have to pay.
    Exactly!

You're avoiding having to pay it, rather than avoiding paying it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    You're avoiding having to pay it, rather than avoiding paying it.
    Exactly, I really didn't think that was so hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by davidj54 View Post
    They give you some sort of special delivery option when ordering, this is essentially the tax free tick box (they don't really make this clear). If you select normal postage you'll end up getting an email from the courier saying your item is at customs and you need to pay £X (20% of value) to release it.
    Or, as has happened to me twice now, you won't get an e-mail but will happen to check the tracking and it shows up on DHL's site as having duty to pay. Which you can pay, and they'll deliver it. But no prior notification of the duty due. Watch out for that.

You do get the box if you buy it separately for about £6. I did this the other week. Took about 5 days to arrive, with the watch in the box.
    Darn, I’d have gone for that if I’d spotted the option!

Craftsman
    That explains why they are so cheap, didn't realise they were coming from outside of the EU (unless you find the secret tax dodge)

Craftsman
    Exactly, I really didn't think that was so hard to understand.
    Nor did I!

I would take avoidance as a conscious act, here people are just paying the correct amount so there is no avoidance.

Good prices though, i am just too concerned to use Creation as i keep hearing bad tales about their after sales service, not good for me as i buy very few watches but if you buy a lot their prices are hard to beat.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    CW-Time on eBay is Creation Watches and state tax free as they supposedly ship from Ireland, I’m currently waiting for delivery of an Orient Ray Raven.

Journeyman
    I wasn't aware of the change and I ordered a watch from them few days back, to be delivered by DHL.
    It's a £85 Orient so the VAT won't be huge, but still...

Anyway, I think this is the seventh watch I got from them with no issues, so I can't really complain.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vadiro View Post
    I wasn't aware of the change and I ordered a watch from them few days back, to be delivered by DHL.

Anyway, I think this is the seventh watch I got from them with no issues, so I can't really complain.
    I’ve just succumbed yet again and ordered a Bambino v3 gen2 with Grey dial using the £6.60 Royal Mail Tax free option, so we’ll see how that pans out.

I have a feeling there’s no VAT applicable on imports below about £120 anyway so you should be ok. Someone more knowledgeable might correct me on this though...

Craftsman
    VAT is definitely due for goods under £120 - iirc only goods under £15 (£35 for gifts) attract no VAT.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    VAT is definitely due for goods under £120 - iirc only goods under £15 (£35 for gifts) attract no VAT.
    You are definitely correct

Craftsman
    Hi all.

I placed an order using the £6 royal mail option last Friday and received shipping confirmation last Saturday. Does anyone know if I should expect a tracking number at some point, or if the watch just appears via RM? It says on the Creation website that tracking is always provided but I'm unsure if that applies if the RM option is selected.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post
    Hi all.

I placed an order using the £6 royal mail option last Friday and received shipping confirmation last Saturday. Does anyone know if I should expect a tracking number at some point, or if the watch just appears via RM? It says on the Creation website that tracking is always provided but I'm unsure if that applies if the RM option is selected.
    I've just done the same yesterday and received my 'Tax Invoice' (a bit worrying) overnight via e-mail. Also I purchased a watch last weekend via their UK eBay name CW-Time (Tax Free stated), I received what appears to be an RM tracking number on Monday but this appears to be made up or fake as RM don't recognise the reference number. No idea what's going on really, just hope both watches turn up safely without any further payments. I'll keep you posted (pun not intended!) if you could do the same I'd be grateful.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by wjkerfoot View Post
    I've just done the same yesterday and received my 'Tax Invoice' (a bit worrying) overnight via e-mail. Also I purchased a watch last weekend via their UK eBay name CW-Time (Tax Free stated), I received what appears to be an RM tracking number on Monday but this appears to be made up or fake as RM don't recognise the reference number. No idea what's going on really, just hope both watches turn up safely without any further payments. I'll keep you posted (pun not intended!) if you could do the same I'd be grateful.
    Not just me then!
    I'm sure it'll be fine, it would be good to get notification when it's been handed over to RM though. I'll let you know if/when I hear anything...

You should only receive a tax invoice via DHL if you selected Free Express Delivery, and then it will be sent in a letter a few days after you've received the watch. Are you sure it's not just the Creation invoice?

I get stuff sent to work and the two times I ordered via Express Delivery, the DHL tax invoice went to the Accounts department in Bristol, instead of to me at the London address where I had the watch delivered.

RE the tracking number, they probably have an automatic post ordering system from their base in Ireland or wherever, but the watch needs to be sent to Ireland from Singapore first so the tracking won't work until the package hits the UK and is scanned by Royal Mail. I'm guessing this it anyway. Creation are pretty good with delivery so I wouldn't worry.

Craftsman
    It's just arrived so 6 days from dispatch. It was sent Royal Mail Tracked 48 and the return address is in Salford. No mention of Ireland any where on the packaging. They've included a flat pack black cardboard watch box too! I suppose it's better than nothing if it was being handed over as a gift.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcg View Post
    It's just arrived so 6 days from dispatch. It was sent Royal Mail Tracked 48 and the return address is in Salford. No mention of Ireland any where on the packaging. They've included a flat pack black cardboard watch box too! I suppose it's better than nothing if it was being handed over as a gift.
    Exactly the same happened to me today for the RayII Raven I ordered via their eBay site last Saturday, arrived via RM Tracked 48 and the tracking number was the one they advised last Monday although RM only recognised the tracking after it was delivered.Very happy with the deal. The return address in Salford is the same one on my package for another eBay seller 1st-Outlet, which I suspect may also be Creation.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    You should only receive a tax invoice via DHL if you selected Free Express Delivery, and then it will be sent in a letter a few days after you've received the watch. Are you sure it's not just the Creation invoice?

I get stuff sent to work and the two times I ordered via Express Delivery, the DHL tax invoice went to the Accounts department in Bristol, instead of to me at the London address where I had the watch delivered.

RE the tracking number, they probably have an automatic post ordering system from their base in Ireland or wherever, but the watch needs to be sent to Ireland from Singapore first so the tracking won't work until the package hits the UK and is scanned by Royal Mail. I'm guessing this it anyway. Creation are pretty good with delivery so I wouldn't worry.
    You are indeed correct, all good, please see my other post.

Journeyman

Unhappy

I just checked the DHL tracking number and I have to pay £27 which is way more than the 20% VAT for my £84 buy :(

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I just checked the DHL tracking number and I have to pay £27 which is way more than the 20% VAT for my £84 buy :(
    I understand that DHL and other carriers have a clearance charge of about £11

Master
    Nor did I!

I would take avoidance as a conscious act, here people are just paying the correct amount so there is no avoidance.
    Never mind

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I stand corrected!

Journeyman
    Can somebody confirm please that the £6 Royal Mail delivery is really working?

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Can somebody confirm please that the £6 Royal Mail delivery is really working?
    Yes it works

There is no such thing as a tax loophole. That is a term applied by customs themselves and the government to get it into peoples psyche that they are avoiding tax when this is not true.

If the law allows you to do something then it is a lawful right, not a loophole, to be able to walk down the street is not a loophole in your liberty.

I dislike the terms used by the government and press when they want us to think we should pay taxes that lawfully we do not have to pay. Bastards.

Rant over, sorry.

Calm again now and waiting with a bit of excitement for my PRS-29b that is incoming.
    A loophole is a lacuna in tax legislation which can be commercially exploited to achieve a tax advantage in a way that was not intended government policy nor foreseen by the legislative draftsman.

They most certainly do exist and have probably done so from the time tax law began to be written down. They've also provided me and others with an interesting career.

There is also much less scope these days to exploit loopholes as such in the UK due to the introduction of the DOTAS and GAAR regimes.

Craftsman
    As i said, a term applied by customs and the government themselves when they wrote a law that did not allow them to garner as much tax funding as they want.

It is either lawful...or not.

If you help people see the right path and not stumble into a payment where none is needed then you are my TZ hero. :)

Apprentice
    Royal Mail tracking seems to be very hit and miss at present - I'm increasingly getting a 'system error' for items that I'm expecting - annoying when people have sent via a tracked method and have gone to the trouble of passing on the tracking number, only for Royal Mail to keep us both in the dark regarding the item location....

As i said, a term applied by customs and the government themselves when they wrote a law that did not allow them to garner as much tax funding as they want.

It is either lawful...or not.

If you help people see the right path and not stumble into a payment where none is needed then you are my TZ hero. :)
    Very kind of you to say, Sir. Other TZers have called me deviant and accused me of breaching the social contract...

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaspode View Post
    Royal Mail tracking seems to be very hit and miss at present - I'm increasingly getting a 'system error' for items that I'm expecting - annoying when people have sent via a tracked method and have gone to the trouble of passing on the tracking number, only for Royal Mail to keep us both in the dark regarding the item location....
    It happened to me as well.
    I ordered an NOS watch from a seller in Israel and the tracking number showed nothing until it was delivered.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    My Bambino from Creation using the RM postage option arrived today duty free just 6 days after ordering.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    I was about to stop considering buying from them, but i will give them one more chance.

My SKX007 arrived yesterday with the £6 RM tax free option. No probs with the service and a pretty cheap deal!