closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Buying Gold

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    352

    Buying Gold

    Hello,

    I'm very tempted to buy some gold as in investment. I've looked at coins and understand it... a little bit. But if I want to buy on the Stock Exchange what should I be looking for? More specifically, what "company" code i.e.. GBS - Gold Bullion Secs or BULL -which is an ETFS(?) I believe. What's the difference?

    I'm a bit confused on this one so any help would really be appreciated.

    I dabble in shares a little, but not much.

    Cheers,

    Steve

  2. #2
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    926

  3. #3
    ETF ticker PHAU.L (tracks spot price of gold). Otherwise Bullion by post or www.coininvest.com to buy the physical stuff.
    Last edited by miguelh34; 6th February 2018 at 14:56.

  4. #4
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    337
    Or just buy through trading exchanges like igmarkets?

  5. #5
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Devon
    Posts
    3,412
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    This is ore like investing in companies that are involved in gold and gold mining as opposed to owning physical gold.

  6. #6
    Master aldfort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    9,009
    You need to decide if you want to hold physical gold or if you want to invest in a fund that is predominantly in gold.

    Actually holding physical gold is interesting. It's pretty to look at (well I think so anyway) and a small amount can be a conversation piece. But if you want a larger holding you need to think about storage, security and insurance.

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    352
    Cheers for your help guys, I'll ponder this for a few days I think. The coins do appeal - we all like shiny things after all, but the markets just seem easier, but if you invest in the correct fund?!
    Last edited by HJ.; 7th February 2018 at 14:25.

  8. #8
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Monmouth
    Posts
    68
    Would go down the route of “physical” gold, Sovereigns & Krugerrands. Don’t bother with getting them in sealed packets and uncirculated condition.
    The bullion buyers are not interested in condition when you go to sell them!

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,953
    Another option is to buy shares in gold mines. I did this with some Australian mines and did very well out of it.

    Quite often gold mine shares surge when the price of gold increases because mines sell quite a lot of gold on the spot market.

    If the price of gold increases by say 10%, that can represent a quadrupling of profit for the mines. Also you get the dividends.

    Best advice however is to spread the money around and don't have too much in one thing.

  10. #10
    Master draftsmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Malta and sometimes bits of Brit
    Posts
    4,324
    I'm sure you're already aware of this but if you're UK tax resident gains on disposal of British gold coins that are legal tender are exempt from CGT. Something to bear in mind if you are considering buying physical gold.

  11. #11
    Craftsman T1ckT0ck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norwich, Norfolk
    Posts
    572
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    I'm sure you're already aware of this but if you're UK tax resident gains on disposal of British gold coins that are legal tender are exempt from CGT. Something to bear in mind if you are considering buying physical gold.
    Hmmmm interesting... i guess we are talking Sovereigns? So bars and such are liable?

  12. #12
    Master draftsmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Malta and sometimes bits of Brit
    Posts
    4,324
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Hmmmm interesting... i guess we are talking Sovereigns? So bars and such are liable?
    We are. And they are.

  13. #13
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    24,412
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunR View Post
    Would go down the route of “physical” gold, Sovereigns & Krugerrands. Don’t bother with getting them in sealed packets and uncirculated condition.
    The bullion buyers are not interested in condition when you go to sell them!
    Wisdom.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by T1ckT0ck View Post
    Hmmmm interesting... i guess we are talking Sovereigns?
    And 1 ounce Britannias?

    UK Krugerrand equivalent.

  15. #15
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    22,406
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    And 1 ounce Britannias?
    Yes, they are UK legal tender (as are quintuple Britannias, fractional Britannias, and even Royal Mint's Chinese Lunar Year coins). All legal tender and thus CGT-free.

  16. #16
    Master stoneyloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sunny Stoney by the Sea!
    Posts
    3,028
    Any recommendations on where to source these British coins?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Any recommendations on where to source these British coins?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    https://www.chards.co.uk/ are very good.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Any recommendations on where to source these British coins?

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    or https://atkinsonsbullion.com/

    good prices, great service & trusted..

  19. #19
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    22,406
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyloon View Post
    Any recommendations on where to source these British coins?
    In addition to the above suggestions you can buy direct from Royal Mint, although usually at premium prices.

    https://www.royalmint.com/ for shiny coins.
    https://www.royalmintbullion.com/ for bullion coins (but still usually at highish prices).

    And http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/ is one of the best but their stock is typically very limited.

  20. #20
    Master
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,028
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcangascompany View Post
    or https://atkinsonsbullion.com/

    good prices, great service & trusted..
    +1 I've used them in the past, they have an actual shop and a long established trading history.

  21. #21
    Master stoneyloon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Sunny Stoney by the Sea!
    Posts
    3,028
    Many thanks folks.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    I have a couple of PAMP pieces, 1 Oz, half Oz, etc.

    Where do you recommend selling them chaps?

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    I have a couple of PAMP pieces, 1 Oz, half Oz, etc.

    Where do you recommend selling them chaps?
    http://www.hattongardenmetals.com/

  24. #24
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    west midlands
    Posts
    1,355
    Not worth the hassle of owning physical with all the security risk.
    I've been buying and selling gold for about 15 years have units in GBS (ETF) which you can hold within an ISA, but now predominantly use Bullionvault. I've also used Goldmoney (similar to Bullionvault)
    You can purchase the physical, store it in London, Geneva, New York - wherever and buy/sell it with ease

    https://www.bullionvault.com


    Yes, there are charges and you may be able to pick up the physical cheaper in the form of bars, ingots or coins, but do you really want the extra hassle and risk when you eventually want to move it on?

    Another option is a Gold Mining ETF - GDX or GDXJ (Junior Miners)
    If your timing is right, that's really the way to play a rising gold price, but can be much more volatile and risky.
    Last edited by klunk; 9th February 2018 at 22:57.

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Not worth the hassle of owning physical with all the security risk.
    I've been buying and selling gold for about 15 years have units in GBS (ETF) which you can hold within an ISA, but now predominantly use Bullionvault. I've also used Goldmoney (similar to Bullionvault)
    You can purchase the physical, store it in London, Geneva, New York - wherever and buy/sell it with ease

    https://www.bullionvault.com


    Yes, there are charges and you may be able to pick up the physical cheaper in the form of bars, ingots or coins, but do you really want the extra hassle and risk when you eventually want to move it on?

    Another option is a Gold Mining ETF - GDX or GDXJ (Junior Miners)
    If your timing is right, that's really the way to play a rising gold price, but can be much more volatile and risky.
    Another option is Royal Mint, who are launching an ICO and selling by the gram and holding it for you.
    It's just a matter of time...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information