closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: eBay - item not sent.....suspect final price too low...”Royal Mail have lost it”

Craftsman

eBay - item not sent.....suspect final price too low...”Royal Mail have lost it”

So - bought a Nokia Steel HR on eBay - new £170, this was unboxed but “excellent” condition. Auction ended on a Tuesday morning at 0724, and I won it for £69. Most are well north of £100.

So, delivery date has passed. Contacted seller, no response. Contacted again. “Don’t hold your breath, sent a gift to a friend too that hasn’t turned up. I can refund you and if it turns up you can pay me”

I have asked for proof of posting but no response......

Sounds like he didn’t like the amount he sold it for and hasn’t sent it. I know I can get a refund but I got a great deal. Can eBay make him provide it?

Quote Originally Posted by PHB1969 View Post
    Can eBay make him provide it?
    How might they do that? They can't force him to if he doesn't want to.

Craftsman
    To be honest - no idea. I did call them and they suggested that they could, so perhaps it’s in the sellers contract? That’s why I’ve asked the question really...can they or was that just an uneducated customer service rep?

To be honest - no idea. I did call them and they suggested that they could, so perhaps it’s in the sellers contract? That’s why I’ve asked the question really...can they or was that just an uneducated customer service rep?
    I'd suspect the latter, but I'd be very interested to know how they could possibly force him to. He could just say he'd lost it if he really didn't want to sell it, or it was nicked.

Ask them to do what they've said they can and see what happens! It would be very interesting to know how they approach doing so.

But if it was me, I'd get a refund. He could send an empty package if you persist, and then you have the hassle of proving it was empty etc. etc. He clearly doesn't want to sell it to you, and he could make things very difficult.

Take the refund and move on. There's absolutely nothing that you can do.

By saying that it has been "lost in the post", and offering a refund, the seller won't get a defect from eBay and (I think) will get his FVFs back. You also won't be able to leave negative feedback.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post

By saying that it has been "lost in the post", and offering a refund, the seller won't get a defect from eBay and (I think) will get his FVFs back. You also won't be able to leave negative feedback.
    Thinking it’s probably the best way forward....

Craftsman
    .. I know I can get a refund but I got a great deal.
    No, I'm afraid you didn't because the seller doesn't want to send it to you. Try sending a text on a bar of soap if that turns up in the post. Take the refund and move on.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    No, I'm afraid you didn't because the seller doesn't want to send it to you. Try sending a text on a bar of soap if that turns up in the post. Take the refund and move on.
    At the point of the end of the auction, I got a good deal. He has sold through eBay and has a contract with me which he is supposed to fulfill. If he chooses not to he is in breach.

Bar of soap or watch I ain’t going to text on it....I’d probably want a phone....but I suppose more to the point.....your comment is 52 minutes too late...and I have moved on....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberto View Post
    ...and if everyone behaved that way where would eBay or any forum offering a sales forum be...?

Master
    Seeing as the seller stated 1st class postage not RMSD why would you assume they are scamming you?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post

Thinking it’s probably the best way forward....

Plus keep an eye on his eBay sales...if you feel up to it.

You never know, he may 'find' it at some point in the future. I wonder if you could claim it trough eBay and refund his refund in payment?

If you bought it, you can leave feedback, but get your refund first.

Craftsman
    As others have said, not worth getting upset about. Just accept that sometimes this is how it goes and move on once your refund arrives. No matter the validity of the sellers statement that the item is lost in the post, there is nothing to prove deceit.

You could do small claims court.

Quote Originally Posted by ernestrome View Post
    You could do small claims court.
    If he tries to sell it later. He entered a contract.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    What you could do if you felt like it.....

Don't cancel the sale.
    Start an EBay dispute 'item not delivered'
    EBay place the funds on hold in the sellers PayPal account
    If it doesn't turn up in the EBay allotted time they will refund you using those 'held' funds.
    The seller will have to reclaim the money from Royal Mail using the proof of purchase/postal insurance he obtained when he (ahem) posted the phone.

You get your money back and get to have a bit of fun with a crappy seller.

Craftsman
    At the point of the end of the auction, I got a good deal. He has sold through eBay and has a contract with me which he is supposed to fulfill. If he chooses not to he is in breach.
    Yes he is, I quite agree with all that. It won't make the phone appear though.

Bar of soap or watch I ain’t going to text on it....I’d probably want a phone....but I suppose more to the point.....your comment is 52 minutes too late...and I have moved on....
    OK then.

...and if everyone behaved that way where would eBay or any forum offering a sales forum be...?
    eBay is riddled with chancers, hopers, dreamers, time wasters and general morons. It is sad, an annoyance, but unfortunately grim reality. I rarely use it these days although did avidly in the early years and got some great deals and bargains. But times have changed.
    I'd in no way compare the lottery of eBay to buying and selling here or on other decent forums.

Craftsman
    I've had this happen with a watch before, I won the auction with what I thought was an absolute bargain, seller contacted me to say "just noticed a problem with the watch as I was checking it before shipping, watchmaker says it will be XX weeks for a repair, probably best if we cancel the sale" Not really worth pushing it under these circumstances. Typically the watch will appear for sale again a few weeks later in the hope it will go for a higher price.

regards
    grant

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    What you could do if you felt like it.....

Don't cancel the sale.
    Start an EBay dispute 'item not delivered'
    EBay place the funds on hold in the sellers PayPal account
    If it doesn't turn up in the EBay allotted time they will refund you using those 'held' funds.
    The seller will have to reclaim the money from Royal Mail using the proof of purchase/postal insurance he obtained when he (ahem) posted the phone.

You get your money back and get to have a bit of fun with a crappy seller.
    This^ if you want to to cause him a bit of hassle, and can't blame you. However, this will tie up your funds until its resolved, if he's offered a refund now you can have your funds immediately and look for an alternative.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Evanssprky View Post
    This^ if you want to to cause him a bit of hassle, and can't blame you. However, this will tie up your funds until its resolved, if he's offered a refund now you can have your funds immediately and look for an alternative.
    So want to do this but tbh can’t be bothered. Funds were refunded after I asked for proof of posting. It ain’t ever going to turn up because it has never been posted. It’s strange how someone can categorically tell you that it is lost in the post, 1 working day after it is due for delivery!

Left negative feedback without suggesting they are out and out crooks.

“Couldn’t supply proof of postage” should be enough for warning bells.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    So want to do this but tbh can’t be bothered. Funds were refunded after I asked for proof of posting. It ain’t ever going to turn up because it has never been posted. It’s strange how someone can categorically tell you that it is lost in the post, 1 working day after it is due for delivery!

Left negative feedback without suggesting they are out and out crooks.
    You've done the right thing, although they obviously haven't. They obviously hadn't posted it as you have pointed out.
    I once 'won' a Lacoste polo shirt for 99p starting price. By the following morning they had refunded me saying it was out of stock, but they already had it relisted! Left strong negative feedback and then started receiving very insulting and threatening messages from them. Reported them to ebay and they were banned. I was a little concerned because they had my name and address, but luckily nothing else happened. It was probably fake anyway, so lucky escape!
    Last edited by Evanssprky; 6th February 2018 at 22:10.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Evanssprky View Post
    You've done the right thing, although they obviously haven't. They obviously hadn't posted it as you have pointed out.
    I once 'won' a Lacoste polo shirt for 99p starting price. By the following morning they had refunded me saying it was out of stock, but they already had it relisted! Left strong negative feedback and then started receiving very insulting and threatening messages from them. Reported them to ebay and they were banned. I was a little concerned because they had my name and address, but luckily nothing else happened. It was probably fake anyway, so lucky escape!
    The name and address bit was a concern, but a gap of about 250 miles helps! Problem being if they did turn up they would be proper psychos....!
    Last edited by PHB1969; 6th February 2018 at 22:58. Reason: Quotes went mad!

Master
    The name and address bit was a concern, but a gap of about 250 miles helps! Problem being if they did turn up they would be proper psychos....!
    Lol yes, that distance should dispel them!

Craftsman
    Forgot to mention, they had the cheek to say please don’t message me asking for proof of posting as it is very stressful.....

Master
    Forgot to mention, they had the cheek to say please don’t message me asking for proof of posting as it is very stressful.....
    The cheek!