closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Going for Gold - Day-Date ownership

Master

Going for Gold - Day-Date ownership

An earlier thread about the desire for some variety in an all-steel collection got me thinking about rejigging mine to include some gold. Might as well go the whole hog and go for yellow, even if it would be for special occasions rather than a regular wearer.

Yesterday I trooped over to Bond Street to try on a few yellow-gold Presidents. I prefer the champagne dial to a white one, though diamonds aren't my bag. My budget puts me firmly at the bottom end of the price range, so I'm looking at 70s or 80s models.

There are three variants that I'm interested in. The first is the Oysterquartz 19018; the second the standard issue with fluted bezel, 1803/18038; and the third the bark-effect bezel and centre link, which I think is the 18078.

I'd welcome in particular the opinions of owners, current or former, on the challenges of servicing of quartz versus older mechanical. Whether any oysterquartz owners regret not having the option of switching to a strap once in a while. And, with apologies, any thoughts on residuals. My resolution for 2018 is to flip less, but some habits die hard.

Thanks
    Last edited by NickRed71; 3rd February 2018 at 13:31.

I went for an 1803 with gold dial, no diamonds. It's the classic look and may well be the easiest to sell on. The 18038 from 1978 onwards benefits from a quickset date.

The Oysterquartz has the benefit of not having to change the day/date when not worn regularly. But having seen an Oysterquartz in the flesh, the quartz tick put me off as it looked incongruous in a vintage watch.

The bark models are an acquired taste, although I do admire them.

Grand Master
    A completely different take on gold is to buy a vintage 60s gold watch and put it on a gold aftermarket bracelet. That’s what I’ve done with the gold Seamaster Deville I bought earlier this week, it’s a 60s look that I really like. I’ve had the bracelet for years. Nowhere near as blingy as the Rolex Day/Date, which is always going to be an eyeful and it’s not really for me. Only problem with mine is getting it to fit, links have to be fitted by soldering which is a job for a goldsmith.......do it once and be sure to get it right! I like gaving a gold bracelet watch in the collection again, and doing it ‘ my way’ isn’t too costly. Sadly, a lot of old watch bracelets have been scrapped and new ones aren’t so cheap anymore.

I’ll post some pics of mine next week, won’t be everyone’s taste but I think it works well. I like the Rolex DD with gold bracelet but I know it’s something I’d never wear, doesn’t fit my lifestyle at all.

Beware worn out bracelets if buying a gold Rolex, that’s the risk buying at the cheaper end of the market. Good luck, can’ beat a bit of yellow gold!

Paul

Master
    Thanks Caruso and thanks Paul—looking forward to seeing your pictures!

I hope to try on DD bark next week, and see how I get in with it. The bracelet on the oysterquartz I tried on was in decent condition, it is something I paid attention to.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Personally I love the bark effect. Something a bit different also as there aren't that many out there compared to the regular models

Journeyman
    Bark is nice, but for me the fluted works better.
    Last edited by chriskibbledj; 30th June 2020 at 11:53.