closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Trip Advisor Review: Trying to Sell Fake Rolex, Greater M'cer & Merseyside 1/2/2018"

Master

"Trip Advisor Review: Trying to Sell Fake Rolex, Greater M'cer & Merseyside 1/2/2018"

Trying to Sell Fake Rolex, Greater M'cer & Merseyside

Reviewer : "M. J. Hay(n)es, Nottingham" on Trip Advisor since 1st September 2017

Travelling with : partner, no children

Date of Visit : 1st February 2018

•••OO - Parking
    ••••O - Welcome
    ••OOO - Service
    OOOO - Value for Money
    •••OO - Refreshments available
    OOOO - Likely to return

"My business partner and I left home in Nottingham mid-morning (we don't work like normal people and so can avoid the rush hour). Knowing it's a long journey and our respective weaknesses, I packed three packets of cigarettes while he threw in a 12-pack of sausage rolls, party bag of crisps and 2 litre bottle of full-fat Coke to tide him over until we could reach the first MacDonalds.

We chose a white Mercedes 220 AMG with blacked out windows for the journey, as we like both comfort and (especially) privacy. We do always enjoy meeting other people on Trip Advisor though, so if you see WG66 HPX out and about give us a wave and perhaps we can have a brew at a picnic stop together.

By lunchtime, the smell in the car from my cigarettes and Fat Boy's endless processed food was quite over-powering. My bony ass was uncomfortable stuck in proper trousers for the day, but one has to dress for the activity in hand. They almost fitted, at least.

At last we arrived in Manchester. There were three lovely shops we wanted to visit there, Burns Jewellers, Mays Jewellers and Pawnbrokers and Prestige Pawnbrokers. I took my watch, badged on the dial as a Rolex Submariner Date and with a warranty card numbered 3L79Y508, that I hoped to sell them.

All the booklets, swing-tag and so on, but for some reason they didn't seem to want to buy it. I'll get that twit from tz-uk who said boxes and papers prove to anyone that a watch is genuine!

Never mind! We never know what we're going to find on our travels. We have toured the UK extensively and in the last year I think I've been to Sutton Coldfield, Chesterfield, Manchester, Bradford and Sheffield inter alia. I don't know what "inter alia" means but you get the picture.

I rang ahead to Liverpool to ask one or two places if they'd buy my Rolex, while Pudding in the driver's seat tucked into a small chicken.

First stop was Wong's, at about 3.30 I suppose. I think they called someone, and then seemed no longer interested in buying my watch. Getting a bit frustrated now, I must admit....but we had some exciting destinations left. We wanted to cover them all in the day, of course, so we could get back home sharpish.

It was mid-afternoon when we stopped by Eric G. Milton Ltd in Walton, an affluent part of Liverpool --- but we had no time to enjoy the bucolic idyll.

A young chap looked at my watch with great interest and I rubbed my hands in anticipation of a strong offer.

"Your watch is unequivocally fake and I must tell you that if you try to sell it to anyone else without disclosing as much then you will probably be committing a criminal offence," the fella said, dead-pan. I feigned some surprise, gathered my things together and headed out to the car. This was becoming frustrating, but just one good experience could make my day worthwhile. I needed to regain my cool as we headed into town.

Fat-boy managed to pull the car over at the side of the main road passing in front of the famous Adelphi hotel. I couldn't help but reflect on the figures of ancient Greek "adelphoi" and then my partner, pasty and sweating in man-made fibre. How come I'm the mug who always has to go into these places? "Cos you look like a young Ben Kingsley mate, and it goes better with the image we're trying to convey."

To S.S.Milton Ltd with my watch, then. I didn't tell them of my previous failures or how many times I had been told the watch was fake, or that I'd been warned what I was doing if I offered it to anyone else without describing it as fake.

Young lady saw me, same one as I spoke to on the 'phone. "Yeah, I'd like your offer to buy my Rolex please." She had a quick look, then said one of their "watch team" would come to see it. Here we go, I thought, lovely jubbly. I saw her shine a UV light at the warranty card and smile to herself. No idea what that was about.

Had to wait about five minutes, but then two blokes entered the shop. I remember thinking that the first was strikingly handsome, reminded me a tad of Michael Barrymore but he was clearly an impressive figure. Bet the girls love him, I thought. The other fella reminded me of Feargal Sharkey.

Barrymore wasted no time and confidently asked me to join them in a private room. Aye-aye, I thought, the VIP treatment! Here we go, might even get a cup of coffee from the suckers! Everyone loves an action shot :

Feargal began to inspect the watch. I could see him looking at the delivery stickers on the sides, a nice touch even featuring the little computerised bar-coding. I managed not to smirk.

Then Barrymore, standing as if to block the doorway, piped up. I can remember the next little bit almost as if I'd recorded it :

>>>>> https://clyp.it/ooe01coe

Bother! I thought I was being clever saying that I'd bought the watch myself at Goldsmiths in Nottingham, as that was consistent with the fake warranty card which was stamped 160 and AURUM GROUP really tidily. It was the best warranty card we'd got hold of so far, that. But oooooh no, the sharp one was all over me for that. "Tell me Bill," he asked his colleague (think I heard his name correctly), "Do Goldsmiths sell fake Rolex?" Bill of course replied that they do not, and my bum began to twitch a smidge.

Frankly puzzled at the complete failure of our day out, I asked how they could tell the watch was fake. "Easily, is all you need to know. We won't say more, because we don't want to help any crooked idiots create better fakes." That was a bit of a low blow, I felt, but I could hardly complain.

Barrymore said a few more things to me and asked for my address, but I didn't reply. Part of me was trying to plan my next move, but I also didn't want to put my foot in it any further.

I'd heard him ask the staff on the shop floor to call the police. Time to go. I boxed the watch and went to leave the private room. Barrymore had his iPhone out and took some photos, which stopped me in my tracks. "I have to tell you that I intend to publish your picture and all details of what has gone on today..." "That's fine mate," I replied petulantly. Another chuffing clanger on my part. Something told me I'd come to regret saying that.

"You do realise that if you decide to leave now, while the police are on their way, it does rather reflect on what has gone on here?" demanded the clever dick.

"Just give me back my passport," I replied. Those things cost a lot of money after all, whether you get the proper ones from the UK Passport Office or the other ones from Ali in the pub car park back in Nottingham, and I'd need it if I were going to try to sell the watch anywhere else before home time.

Now I swear that Barrymore, who was holding my passport, then threw the chuffing thing through the hatch of the pawnbroking counter, to the staff side! He said he dropped it, but come on!

"What's that girls, did you say you've lost the gentleman's passport?" shouted the swine. I reckon he was guiding them, if I'm honest. Er, well, I'm not honest, but you know what I mean. If I'd done that in his position it would have been just my luck for one of my colleagues to miss the hint, pick the thing up and say "Here you go, found it!" . . . but no such luck for me.....it remained "lost."

"You can't do that, that's theft! Give me back my passport, you rotter!" I exclaimed.

"Oh no sir," contradicted Barrymore. "Theft is where one seeks permanently to deprive someone of their property. You know, like when a crook takes money from a shop? We have merely mislaid your passport and are making every effort to find it right now. I expect we'll find it in about thirty minutes, and the police will be here then of course."

Oh for flip's sake, I thought to myself. Leave the shop? Stay and wait for the police? I'll take my chances, I decided.

Leaving the shop, I'm sure I saw one of the girls take her foot off my passport, and it was just my rotten luck if they found it immediately after I left. Never mind - who has only one passport in my game, ha-ha!

I couldn't light a cigarette fast enough once out of the shop. It was a joy to stroll through the streets of the city for a little while. No need to check behind me, as no one ever follows you out of one of these places.

>>>>> https://i.imgur.com/qxHMFUrh.mp4

Towards the end of my walk I gave the signal to Fat Boy, hoping he hadn't waddled into Greggs.

As I reached the car --- crikey --- there was one of the fellows from the shop, filming us, and the other at the opposite side. Pudding isn't soft (well, not in that way); he pulled up the hood of his grey puffa jacket with red piping and pulled it tight around his face like Kenny from South Park, so you couldn't see much of his face at all. He also put the sun visor down, though the weather was somewhat inclement. Unfortunately, I think Barrymore, who was busy photographing us and the number-plate, got to see enough of Pudding to realise that he is about 16 stone or more, caucasian male of about 35-40, clean shaven and very fat in the face.

What do you know! Just our luck --- the traffic was appalling. We were stuck, motionless while this pair circled the car like some sort of righteous sharks. Barrymore banged on the driver's window and even tried to help Pudding open it --- how kind! --- but unfortunately we must have activated the central locking.

All in all something of a crap day out. Wouldn't recommend it to anyone."
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 5th February 2018 at 11:10.

Excellent work, Michael.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Good work. Did the police catch up with them?

This could be my new favourite post-what a fascinating read from start to finish - thank you and well played!
    Dan

Honestly, what needs to be done is to rid the entire world of fakes. If he was indeed caught this would be a very very very very very small victory.

No one should buy a fake (knowing that it's a fake) and there should be tougher sanctions in this part of the "industry".

Excellent story, complete with photos.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Master
    Superb. Bravo sir

Kudos to you and your partners/staff. Pity the plod could not be bothered, hope justice will catch up with them one day.

What was the accent/s like?
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Quote Originally Posted by ordo View Post
    Honestly, what needs to be done is to rid the entire world of criminals and chancers.

You're welcome.
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

A very enjoyable read, thanks.

Is there a follow up?

An interesting post, written in an engaging style.

Hopefully this will make it far more difficult for at least one of these lowlifes to pedal their wares.

Craftsman
    Fantastic post - but one that is a real shame to have written - but entertaining none the less

What a scumbag

Splendid! I hope the police don't need anything more than a photograph of the miscreant, proof he's broken the law (from previous people he's tried to sell it to and on audio) and the registration number of the car he was in. Assuming of course the passport isn't real. Excellent work.
    "A man of little significance"

Ha brilliant, it’s always good to get another persons perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Great read brilliantly written. I bet the police wouldn’t even do anything if they did catch them.

Love that, brilliant post. I'll admit I read the thread title without noticing who posted it. I'm then very ashamed to say i enjoyed far too many paragraphs before realising what I was actually reading. Enjoyed that. You're right HM, they are a coming.

Craftsman
    This made my day .... thanks!

Master
    Thanks for this- and wow.

Master
    Amusing and insightful at the same time ... idiots ...

Thanks for sharing and putting the effort into the write up ... plenty of smiles whilst reading.

A brilliantly written and witty article, on what is sadly becoming an increasingly serious problem!
    Thanks Haywood for bringing a smile to my face on a wet Saturday morning.

Master
    ... and I do believe he invested in some brand new shoes for the event as well ...
    Might as well take those back now ...

Craftsman

Mercedes

I wonder if the Mercedes dealer was bothered about how the purchase was being funded. Certainly doubt it!

I wonder how many flash cars and watches are bought with crooked cash, no questions asked as long as the dealer makes their monthly target.

Excellent work HM!

Excellent post, well written & with useful photos - thank you.

This sort of post is almost a public service, so helpful is it in warning against such crooks, and fakes in general.

The audio clip is brilliant - like an episode of 'Antiques Roadshow' gone very, very wrong.

Craftsman
    Well done HM. Nice follow up on your previous post and good to now know what the scumbag looked like.

Very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    ... and I do believe he invested in some brand new shoes for the event as well ...

Clearly a scoundrel - his shirt tail is hanging out!

Bravo

Are you on PistonHeads? That would also go down a storm there too

Hahaha, excellent read. Scoundrels and rotters!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Quality, I love the surprise on his face after being photographed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post

Stickers left on shoes is worse than stickers left on watches - what a chav.

Well done Haywood.
    Last edited by Wallasey Runner; 3rd February 2018 at 10:06.

Master
    Haywood said - " I'll get that twit from tz-uk who said boxes and papers prove to anyone that a watch is genuine!"

If this sinks through just one thick skull then Haywood has done a better job than me in getting the message across.

Master
    Bucolic idyll.... Lol

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Haywood said - " I'll get that twit from tz-uk who said boxes and papers prove to anyone that a watch is genuine!"

If this sinks through just one thick skull then Haywood has done a better job than me in getting the message across.
    It's not working Mick, just check the WTB section, people still insist on B&P

Craftsman
    Great read, made me chuckle but with a very serious note!!!
    Scrote's trying to rob people of there hard earned cash!!!!

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I love the way Walton is referred to as an affluent part of Liverpool.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Well done Haywood. Amusing yet seriously worrying that these people are audacious enough to try pull this off. This is like the second case in the last couple weeks just at your shop?

Sent from my Huawei Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    It's not working Mick, just check the WTB section, people still insist on B&P
    Hi

Yes I know, I know, I know. It is totally stupid but it is a message they do not want to hear. What is so difficult to understand that papers are a piece of cake to forge and it is possible to pump out 10,000 documents in less than a day. Also neither me, you, Haywood and even Rolex could tell the difference between a genuine document and a forgery.

It is one of lifes mysteries.

Journeyman
    What an interesting read.
    There's so much dodgy stuff out there which gives me a lack of trust or confidence when buying second hand privately.

Obviously a fake review, the Italian national airline doesn't have a service to Sutton Coldfield.

Craftsman

Profit plunge

Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post
    You're welcome.
    If the world did manage to get rid of all the crooks and chancers, Rolex would lose half its customer base.

What I take from this tale is that a dealer did not appreciate having a crook trying to rip them off but would probably be quite happy to sell that same crook a nice shiny Rolex from stock, as long as there pockets were full of cash rather than fake Rolex’s.

Master
    A great read, but we are lucky they are so dim. Experts are the last people they should be trying to sell to. Like passing counterfeit money in a bank. Selling on the net must be far less risky for them. Anonymous....no risk of being recorded and photographed.
    Bet the police couldn't care less......

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    If the world did manage to get rid of all the crooks and chancers, Rolex would lose half its customer base.

What I take from this tale is that a dealer did not appreciate having a crook trying to rip them off but would probably be quite happy to sell that same crook a nice shiny Rolex from stock, as long as there pockets were full of cash rather than fake Rolex’s.
    Whilst this may be true....... I'm not convinced this is the main lesson from the post.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks Haywood , great post and a great read , you are wasted in that business of yours,lol What scum bags those pair are, Can this pair of filth not be picked up by the police.
    Last edited by burnhardlanger; 3rd February 2018 at 12:47.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    What I take from your post is that you have a massive chip on your shoulder.

If you look at my FAQ you’ll see my view on and position regarding cash purchases. I am an Approved Person with Financial Conduct Authority Controlled Function 11 (among others), meaning I am responsible for anti-money laundering measures and reporting. I sit on the Council of the National Pawnbrokers Association and am in fact its Ambassador for Code Liaison with the National Association of Jewellers.

I have a long and proud record of reporting, giving evidence against and even chasing baddies of all types, even those who are “just” evading tax. Only next week I will be in London at the invitation of the Flying Squad / Met. Police to lecture the nation’s assembled forces on “High Value Watch Crime.”

Now take your bitter resentment at whatever has irked you and fake off. Your comment was totally unwarranted.
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 3rd February 2018 at 12:55.

Great work!
    I’ve just liked your Facebook page to see if it’s been put up there, you should do that.

https://m.facebook.com/Miltonaires-336111833235145/
    Last edited by JasonM; 3rd February 2018 at 10:55.

This was so funny to read :D :D :D

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    What I take from your post is that you have a massive chip on your shoulder.

If you look at my FAQ you’ll see my view on and position regarding cash purchases. I am an Approved Person with Financial Conduct Authority Controlled Function 11 (among others), meaning I am responsible for anti-money laundering measures and reporting. I sit on the Council of the National Pawnbrokers Association and am in fact it’s Ambassador for Code Liaison with the National Association of Jewellers.

I have a long and proud record of reporting, giving evidence against and even chasing baddies of all types, even those who are “just” evading tax. Only next week I will be in London at the invitation of the Flying Squad / Met. Police to lecture the nation’s assembled forces on “High Value Watch Crime.”

Now take your bitter resentment at whatever has irked you and fake off. Your comment was totally unwarranted.

Hear here!!

Well said Haywood and once again a potential crook has been found thanks to your well trained team and other retailers/buyers have, for now, been protected.

I would assume that anyone criticising you would not be happy to buy this watch from the above beautifully photographed gentleman from Nottingham/Lincoln so you have even done them a favour - even if they are too blind to notice it.

Anyway it's my turn to fake off for a week.

TTFN

Brilliant. Thanks to Haywood for being our very own T-Rip Off advisor!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great work Haywood , boys face must have been a picture when you caught
    Him out .

Craftsman
    Well done Haywood, I do wonder how many of these fakes get through the net though.
    I don't want to believe that a high retailer has been conned by such a nice 'gentleman'.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk