closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Which DE Razor and blades?

Which DE Razor and blades?

Quote Originally Posted by gerrudd View Post
    On a related topic. I really like my current Edwin Jagger shaving brush but the knot is starting to wear out and also has come loose. It is possible to order a replacement knot?
    There are people who fit knots and restore older brushes. But to be honest unless the brush has sentimental value, it may be better to order a new one.

I'd recommend Yaqi synthetic brushes which offer a huge array of handles, for £20 or thereabouts. Or the famous Semogue 830 or Owners Club if you would like to try Boar.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    There are people who fit knots and restore older brushes. But to be honest unless the brush has sentimental value, it may be better to order a new one.

I'd recommend Yaqi synthetic brushes which offer a huge array of handles, for £20 or thereabouts. Or the famous Semogue 830 or Owners Club if you would like to try Boar.
    Thanks dkpw. I might just keep the older brush for travels. Has anyone superglued in a loose knot, or should I try special glue?

I'm currently using a Henson AL13 with the Astra blades it came with.

Generally very happy but would also happily swap a couple of boxes of blades with someone to try something different.

Craftsman
    I love Gillette Yellow Sharp edge DE blades. Obviously because of the manufacturing location they’ve become a bit of a shameful purchase. If I was gonna move away from a Russian blade which non-Russian blade is the most like the yellows? Tried feathers and they are too rough.

Well, as I've got older by bristles are now harder than pinheads pins.

So have gone into the world of lathering up with a single blade ( feather and OneBlade hybrid to match the car )

Must say it's going great so far

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Like 7 o'clock sharp edge....hmm, Astra SP or polsilver super iridium. The polsilver are a good blade for me but no longer made and hence getting harder to find and more costly.

Yes knots can be glued in, I'd use a blob of hot glue I think but may as well try what you have.

Master
    Btw, the one thing I tried that made a huge huge improvement, was shaving oil. I fine my face a wash then use just a few drops of Johnson's aloe Vera baby oil, then I'll lather ( arko). The oil transformed my shaves more than any other single step.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    I love Gillette Yellow Sharp edge DE blades. Obviously because of the manufacturing location they’ve become a bit of a shameful purchase. If I was gonna move away from a Russian blade which non-Russian blade is the most like the yellows? Tried feathers and they are too rough.
    Hard to recommend stuff as there's so many variables, one of my favourites is Persona Platinum (German), Lord Superior Platinum and Lord Silver Star (Egypt) are good. Haven't tried them myself yet, but Treet Platinum (Pakistan) and Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) are rated by some. China makes some good blades but they're equally dubious morally in my book. I still have some Russian blades but I won't replace them when they're done.

I'm literally getting one shave from a feather blade in a OneBlade Hybrid, 3 passes, second shave nowhere near as good.

Apparently improved technique can help me get a second third or move from it, although my bristles are like wire

Any tips

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by craggie View Post
    Hard to recommend stuff as there's so many variables, one of my favourites is Persona Platinum (German), Lord Superior Platinum and Lord Silver Star (Egypt) are good. Haven't tried them myself yet, but Treet Platinum (Pakistan) and Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) are rated by some. China makes some good blades but they're equally dubious morally in my book. I still have some Russian blades but I won't replace them when they're done.
    Gillette Wilkinson Sword (India) all day long for me. New blade every day and smooth as. Cheap as chips as well. However some other brands have nicer names and nicer packets.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    Of anyone wants to try Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge (yellow packs). Pm me your address....I think I can spare a few 
    For anyone fortunate enough to receive these Gillette Yellow ones from LondonNeil's generosity - what are your impressions?

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    For anyone fortunate enough to receive these Gillette Yellow ones from LondonNeil's generosity - what are your impressions?
    I've not had any from Neil but I have used them in the past and found them to be on the sharper side of things, efficient but also smooth. They are definitely worth a try. I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I've not had any from Neil but I have used them in the past and found them to be on the sharper side of things, efficient but also smooth. They are definitely worth a try. I like them.
    Thanks - great to know. Sharper than Feathers, would you say? That is what I have been using (I believe they are genuine but it seems fakes are plenty out there...)

Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    Thanks - great to know. Sharper than Feathers, would you say? That is what I have been using (I believe they are genuine but it seems fakes are plenty out there...)
    Nothing is sharper than a Feather! ;) They are often a trad rough on the first shave but then smooth out. I usually go for four or five shaves with a feather and generally bin others after three.

For me the best pairing is a sharp blade, like a Feather in a mild razor; for example the Merkur 34C, Feather ASD2, Merkur 15C, Giesen & Forsthoff Timor 1353 and my Gillette Techs.

They're my favourite blades...