closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 101 to 142 of 142

Thread: Which DE Razor and blades?

  1. #101
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Coventry UK
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I'm still experimenting with the sample pack of blades I bought with my DE89. Having tried an Astra, a Gillette Blue and a no name Israeli blade, I like the Astra best. Next up is a Feather... we'll see how that goes. I ordered some more from this eBay seller where you can mix and match from a wide range of blades, at very reasonable prices too and fast shipping. No affiliation, just a happy customer.
    Thatís a good link, thanks for that

  2. #102
    Master inspector gadget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    2,011
    Hi guys, just to say I have posted some razors for sale in SC and I hope we are all enjoying this great weather in a fine clean shaven fashion...

  3. #103
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    344
    Just put a few new, boxed Edwin Jagger Chatsworth DE razors up for sale in Sales Corner if anyone is after one. DE is the way to go folks!

  4. #104
    I just bought one of these shaving bowls from Executive Shaving, and I can't quite believe the difference having the groves in the bottom of the bowl makes to whipping up a tremendous lather. It worked a treat with Taylor's grapefruit cream - very fresh indeed after another hot day!


  5. #105
    Craftsman smalleyboy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    841
    I have been using one of these shaving skuttles for the past 8 years and they keep the lather nice and warm.

    As mentioned, the textured bottom on the bottom of the bowl helps generate lather.

    https://www.georgetownpottery.com/product/SHAV0003.html

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    I have been using one of these shaving skuttles for the past 8 years and they keep the lather nice and warm.

    As mentioned, the textured bottom on the bottom of the bowl helps generate lather.

    https://www.georgetownpottery.com/product/SHAV0003.html

    Those look really nice. Thanks for the link.

  7. #107
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Tyne Wear
    Posts
    194
    do a google for a suribachi bowl..cheap alternative and works well

  8. #108
    Just taken delivery of an original, unrestored G1 Fatboy. Wow, just wow. It's not perfect by any means, it's 57 years old after all but put it in an ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes, popped a feather blade in, set it to "1" no less and what a shave. Most comfortable shave in nearly 50 years. Wonderful, which begs the questions why on earth did they stop making them, why did they make them for such a short length of time and does "refurbishing" them i.e. replating etc take away the character and smoothness of the shave?

  9. #109
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,332
    Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    Just taken delivery of an original, unrestored G1 Fatboy. Wow, just wow. It's not perfect by any means, it's 57 years old after all but put it in an ultrasonic cleaner for a few minutes, popped a feather blade in, set it to "1" no less and what a shave. Most comfortable shave in nearly 50 years. Wonderful, which begs the questions why on earth did they stop making them, why did they make them for such a short length of time and does "refurbishing" them i.e. replating etc take away the character and smoothness of the shave?
    I have two restored fatboys (one unused since the restore) and a three slims (one brand new in the box) and I have to say that when I got the fatboy back from restoration the only thing that I noticed was the gap evenness on both sides at a given setting and the cosmetics of the "look". This of course ensures a consistent shave.

    If you can do without the shine and there are no mechanical gap issues then I would say stick to it as it is ---- but I am just fussy like that and had to get it right - same with the car.

    Enjoy

    B

  10. #110
    Master Yorkshiremadmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire man in Northumberland
    Posts
    1,862

    Which DE Razor and blades?

    I returned to DE shaving in 2014 with a Merkur Slant 37c and feather blades. Since also got a Gillette slim adjustable and a Merkur Futur, that coupled with a feather blade is most definitely a widow maker if you're not use to wet shaving with a DE razor.
    Good preparation is also key to a burn free shave.



    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    I returned to DE shaving in 2014 with a Merkur Slant 37c and feather blades. Since also got a Gillette slim adjustable and a Merkur Futur, that coupled with a feather blade is most definitely a widow maker if you're not use to wet shaving with a DE razor.
    Good preparation is also key to a burn free shave.
    I've used my 37c with Feathers and with that combination managed to nick myself in places that I don't normally!! Having been DE shaving for some months now, I've found that the Wilkinson's Sword classic (from Germany I think) is my favourite blade. It works exceptionally well in my DE89 and the 37c, which still requires some caution.



    I recently ordered some excellent, lemon & tea tree shaving cream from SueZBana which has the freshest smell and of all the soaps I've tried. Great value too and they included a free sample of Aloe Vera and Lavender, most generous.



    Unfortunately I don't like lavender, but if anyone would like the sample tin, please PM me and it's yours.

    Cheers

    David
    Last edited by dkpw; 15th September 2018 at 15:04. Reason: typo

  12. #112

    Hello

    It's definitely worth persevering with so much better than cartridge and dry shaving.

    Best,

    Ben

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside View Post
    It's definitely worth persevering with so much better than cartridge and dry shaving.

    Best,

    Ben
    Thanks Ben and I've PM'ed you for your details - the lavender sample is yours.

    Cheers

    David

  14. #114
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Plymouth Devon
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I've used my 37c with Feathers and with that combination managed to nick myself in places that I don't normally!! Having been DE shaving for some months now, I've found that the Wilkinson's Sword classic (from Germany I think) is my favourite blade. It works exceptionally well in my DE89 and the 37c, which still requires some caution.




    Cheers

    David
    Wilkinson Sword my favourite as well. They seem a good compromise between being sharp and lethal.

    Amazon were doing 100 for £12.50 not so long ago, although they no longer list them. Iíve been getting mine from The Shave Lounge.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    Wilkinson Sword my favourite as well. They seem a good compromise between being sharp and lethal.

    Amazon were doing 100 for £12.50 not so long ago, although they no longer list them. Iíve been getting mine from The Shave Lounge.
    Yes, I find them sharp, although not at Feather level, but also very smooth. I swap between a DE89 and a Merkur 37c. On the former they are spectacular, on the latter care must be exercised.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I have two restored fatboys (one unused since the restore) and a three slims (one brand new in the box) and I have to say that when I got the fatboy back from restoration the only thing that I noticed was the gap evenness on both sides at a given setting and the cosmetics of the "look". This of course ensures a consistent shave.

    If you can do without the shine and there are no mechanical gap issues then I would say stick to it as it is ---- but I am just fussy like that and had to get it right - same with the car.

    Enjoy

    B
    Thanks for the information. Whereabouts did you get them restored incidentally? Iím really getting on well with this unrestored one and donít really want to blow £200 on another already-restored one.

  17. #117
    While not technically about razors or blades, I thought I would post once again here to say I've just had some excellent products through from https://shavingtime.co.uk/

    They are the UK reseller for US based Sterling soaps, with which I'm sure many long-term DE shavers will be familiar. While the Shaving Time mainly sell Sterling products, the quality is excellent. I treated myself to a couple of soap tins and a brush.

    The Orange Chill is so smooth and has a medium orange scent, not too powerful but its freshness is added to by the underlying menthol. This really kicks into play later in the shave on the second or third pass and when you rinse off with cold water, wow there's the big chill. Very refreshing indeed.






    I've yet to try the G 'n T but am looking forward to it.



    Finally I added this Butterscotch finest badger with a 24mm fan knot. It's a lot larger than my small Edwin Jagger which get overcome with soap, due to it's small handle. This one is about 4" long and worked a treat when trying the orange chill.




    The soaps are definitely worth a shout if you are curious and there's a good range to choose from. You'll also get 1st class service from David who runs the site. I've no affiliation, just a happy punter. :)

  18. #118

  19. #119
    Master Yorkshiremadmick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yorkshire man in Northumberland
    Posts
    1,862
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I've used my 37c with Feathers and with that combination managed to nick myself in places that I don't normally!! Having been DE shaving for some months now, I've found that the Wilkinson's Sword classic (from Germany I think) is my favourite blade. It works exceptionally well in my DE89 and the 37c, which still requires some caution.



    I recently ordered some excellent, lemon & tea tree shaving cream from SueZBana which has the freshest smell and of all the soaps I've tried. Great value too and they included a free sample of Aloe Vera and Lavender, most generous.



    Unfortunately I don't like lavender, but if anyone would like the sample tin, please PM me and it's yours.

    Cheers

    David
    You do need to concentrate using the feather blade. I have a very heavy beard/stubble. I find the slant easy now. The Futur, like you, Iím getting nicks and cuts where I never have before.
    But prep and patience with immense concentration and no nicks!!!



    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  20. #120
    Thanks Mick, I'm not sure I'm ready for an adjustable razor, although I appreciate the idea of dialling them down on each pass. I've been using my 37c much more than my Edwin Jagger, as I find it to be much keener, and as you say requiring more concentration.

    Although I took advantage of a discount for signing up with one of the many online shave sites (Shaving Shack) and bought a Merkur 34c HD as I prefer a smaller handled razor. I've not tried it yet, but will tomorrow.

    I'm also enjoying using the Israeli Crystal blades, with a blue label, which I bought from eBay. These are slightly smoother than the Wilkinson Swords.

  21. #121
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    MK
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    While not technically about razors or blades, I thought I would post once again here to say I've just had some excellent products through from https://shavingtime.co.uk/

    They are the UK reseller for US based Sterling soaps, with which I'm sure many long-term DE shavers will be familiar. While the Shaving Time mainly sell Sterling products, the quality is excellent. I treated myself to a couple of soap tins and a brush.

    The Orange Chill is so smooth and has a medium orange scent, not too powerful but its freshness is added to by the underlying menthol. This really kicks into play later in the shave on the second or third pass and when you rinse off with cold water, wow there's the big chill. Very refreshing indeed.






    I've yet to try the G 'n T but am looking forward to it.



    Finally I added this Butterscotch finest badger with a 24mm fan knot. It's a lot larger than my small Edwin Jagger which get overcome with soap, due to it's small handle. This one is about 4" long and worked a treat when trying the orange chill.




    The soaps are definitely worth a shout if you are curious and there's a good range to choose from. You'll also get 1st class service from David who runs the site. I've no affiliation, just a happy punter. :)
    Love Stirlingís gear I have plenty of different soaps and a brush that I use for travel. All have been superb. G&T is great also the Margaritas in the attic is good. Thanks for the link I have always bulk ordered when in the US as the shipping to UK was really expensive.. glad there is a UK supplier.

  22. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by L8_M8 View Post
    Love Stirlingís gear I have plenty of different soaps and a brush that I use for travel. All have been superb. G&T is great also the Margaritas in the attic is good. Thanks for the link I have always bulk ordered when in the US as the shipping to UK was really expensive.. glad there is a UK supplier.
    Glad to be able to help. Since writing my post, I've tried the G&T which in the tub smells a little bit strange but when lathered up is a lot better. I prefer the Orange Chill by some way and used it this morning with my new Merkur 34C. I had a great shave with both.

  23. #123
    Craftsman bagman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    The high Weald, Kent
    Posts
    251
    I fell down the rabbit hole of DE shaving a few years ago now and have a silly amount of hardware and software.

    A Rockwell 6C or 6S will cater for most faces (I've a 6S and my two sons both use the cheaper ones) with their adjustable system. My youngest is only 15 but was determined to get rid of his bum fluff tash despite my advice.

    They work very well with most blades I've tried especially Polsilver Super Iridium, Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet and Rubbies. Astra greens are a slightly cheaper option.

  24. #124
    If anyone has excess supply of Feathers? I'd happily take some off your hands .

    Am aware some may have bought bulk quantities when they were (more) easily available online...

  25. #125
    Quote Originally Posted by cman View Post
    If anyone has excess supply of Feathers? I'd happily take some off your hands .

    Am aware some may have bought bulk quantities when they were (more) easily available online...
    They getting more difficult to get now? Hope not as I am fast running low.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  26. #126
    Master draftsmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Malta and sometimes bits of Brit
    Posts
    4,005
    Not DE but I always liked the idea of shaping the edges of my facial merkin with a straight razor. The maintenance of such devices is the obvious downside, while cheap disposable blade shavettes are available but look and feel pretty uninspiring.

    So Iíve invested in a Feather Artist Club SS for each home as they arenít carry-on safe and now awaiting their custom made new scales from Vintage Razors which will make them very pleasing to handle.

    So far I havenít managed to sever my head or indeed draw any significant blood at all, and am finding the process strangely satisfying.

    Will post pics when my new handles arrive and are fitted.

  27. #127
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Coming Straight Outer Trumpton
    Posts
    6,826
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    Not DE but I always liked the idea of shaping the edges of my facial merkin with a straight razor. The maintenance of such devices is the obvious downside, while cheap disposable blade shavettes are available but look and feel pretty uninspiring.

    So Iíve invested in a Feather Artist Club SS for each home as they arenít carry-on safe and now awaiting their custom made new scales from Vintage Razors which will make them very pleasing to handle.

    So far I havenít managed to sever my head or indeed draw any significant blood at all, and am finding the process strangely satisfying.

    Will post pics when my new handles arrive and are fitted.
    No need to furnish us with photographic evedence of said Ďmanscapingí Adrian. ;-)

  28. #128
    I shave when showering (no mirror). The blade holder is a Wilkinson from Boots. I use two Feather blades in it. The lower blade has been filed and the edges smoothed. The top blade is sharp. Marseilles Soap is used for "shaving cream" (used for soap and shampoo as well). I never get razor rash, and cuts are very rare.

    Best wishes,
    Bob
    Last edited by rfrazier; 29th March 2019 at 12:02.

  29. #129
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,332
    Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier View Post
    I shave when showering (no mirror). The blade holder is a Wilkinson from Boots. I use two Feather blades in it. The lower blade has been filed and the edges smoothed. The top blade is sharp. Marseilles Soap is used for "shaving cream" (used for soap and shampoo as well). I never get razor rash, and cuts are very rare.

    Best wishes,
    Bob
    My father used the double "baffled" blade approach and swore by it - he was Navy.

    Never tried the approach myself - just use an adjustable fatboy. Polsilver mainly or Voskhod blades.

    Had razor rash once in my teens.

    B
    Last edited by Brian; 29th March 2019 at 14:35.

  30. #130
    Master draftsmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Malta and sometimes bits of Brit
    Posts
    4,005
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    No need to furnish us with photographic evedence of said Ďmanscapingí Adrian. ;-)
    Ah. I'll delete those bikini line pics then

  31. #131
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Aberdeen. Scotland
    Posts
    1,348
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jammie*dodger View Post
    Looking to get a DE razor and blades to see if it cuts down on the shaving rash I get. Currently looking at a Merkur razor but not sure if itís a good choice or what blades to get with it.

    Any recommendations?
    Donít do it. Before you know it you will have a cupboard full of blades, razors, brushes bowls, facial prep crap etc plus bleeding out most mornings. I was that man. Now I use conventional shaving disposable razors when on offer at the supermarket. I think we kid ourselves on itís cheaper and a better shave will be had if you invest on all of the above phish.

  32. #132
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    salisbury
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffcotton View Post
    Donít do it. Before you know it you will have a cupboard full of blades, razors, brushes bowls, facial prep crap etc plus bleeding out most mornings. I was that man. Now I use conventional shaving disposable razors when on offer at the supermarket. I think we kid ourselves on itís cheaper and a better shave will be had if you invest on all of the above phish.
    The post you quoted was from Feb 2018, so I expect the OP has made his mind up by now :) Personally though, I used Bic for years, but started to find the blades weren't as sharp, so went back to a DE razor, which I am very satisfied with. But I only have one shaving soap, one brush and one razor. Only expense is the blades which are cheap.

  33. #133
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Plymouth Devon
    Posts
    327
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    They getting more difficult to get now? Hope not as I am fast running low.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just noticed that the Shave Lounge has them in stock (https://shavelounge.co.uk/product/10...-razor-blades/)

    My favourite Wilkinson Sword out of stock. They seem to be getting scarce as well

  34. #134
    I have thought about DE shaving but was not sure whether it would work out for me. I decided to take a step by spending as little as possible and picked up a plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic DE razor (with 5 DE blades) from Boots for £5. I used this with a cheap shaving brush also from Boots and a Palmolive shave stick for 75p.

    The first shave was ok for a first attempt without any cuts but a few major red blotches on neck (which cleared up after a few hours). But this was my error as the soap was applied too thin I think plus too many repetitive passes. I failed to take into account the direction of hair growth on the neck which was not really a problem when cartridge shaving. Also I did not use a preshave but now just do a quick wash with a face wash.

    Overall, I am pleased with the results and have ordered Edwin Jagger DE89 razor and Personna blades. Hopefully this will prove a good combination.

  35. #135
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,332
    Enjoy.

    I think i started on the plastic from wilkinson sword many, many years ago. i have a DE89 - good razor which i'm sure will not disappoint.

    B

  36. #136
    Thank you Brian. I will be trying Arko shaving soap next. Whilst I have been aware that blades are cheap, everything else seemed expensive. I did not realise there are budget options.

  37. #137
    I use a Muhle R41 grande- nice smooth razor with a nice heft to it invariably use Muhle blades too
    Taylor of old Bond Street soap and current favourite is Alt Innsbruck after shave.

  38. #138
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    12,420
    For the last 20 years I've used a Gillette Contour twin blade razor. Tried lots of others but nothing works as well for me. I should add I don't possess a pair of Cheaney brogues either!
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

  39. #139
    Master draftsmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Malta and sometimes bits of Brit
    Posts
    4,005
    Hereís one of my re-handled Feather razors. To me this is the best of all worlds. Very satisfying to use but zero maintenance with its disposable blades. Feather razors and blades arenít the cheapest but the quality is very good.

  40. #140
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    England and Spain
    Posts
    3,115
    The best most single thing you can do to improve a wet shave is to buy the best brush you can.

    Ten or so years ago, I bought a Simpsons Chubby No2 and now I have 4. One in the UK residence, one in the UK travel bag, one in the Spanish residence and the final one in the Spanish travel bag.

    Take a look at this lot and treat yourself to one.

    https://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/store/

    Also the best shaving soap is Mitchells, unsurpassable.

    http://mitchellswoolfatsoap.co.uk/product/shaving-soap/

    Every man deserves no less.

  41. #141
    Grand Master oldoakknives's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brussel land.
    Posts
    12,420
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The best most single thing you can do to improve a wet shave is to buy the best brush you can.

    Ten or so years ago, I bought a Simpsons Chubby No2 and now I have 4. One in the UK residence, one in the UK travel bag, one in the Spanish residence and the final one in the Spanish travel bag.

    Take a look at this lot and treat yourself to one.

    https://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/store/

    Also the best shaving soap is Mitchells, unsurpassable.

    http://mitchellswoolfatsoap.co.uk/product/shaving-soap/

    Every man deserves no less.
    I find it strange that you won't use weedkiller in case you harm the local fauna, and recommend buying shaving brushes made of Badger hair. Perhaps google 'Peta badger hair brushes' when you have a spare few minutes.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.

  42. #142
    Master
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    4,332
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I use a Muhle R41 grande- nice smooth razor with a nice heft to it invariably use Muhle blades too
    Taylor of old Bond Street soap and current favourite is Alt Innsbruck after shave.
    I also have an R41 on a bespoke stainless steel shaft. Great shaving head too. In fact my core 4 are

    Gilette Fat boy
    Gilette Slim
    Muhle R41
    Jagger DE89

    Taylors soap, with occasional palmolive or Erasmic (both cheap as chips)

    I occasionally dip into the odd far eastern cheapie (razor) but not very often.


    B
    Last edited by Brian; 11th July 2019 at 09:40.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •