closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Which DE Razor and blades?

In my experience rashes greatly reduce using a DE. I have a few, with the Merkur 34c and DE89 on the mild end and started out with these. Astra and Feather blades are my go to.
    I’ve also recently bought a Ming Shi 2000s from China. It’s superb and my go to daily shave now. Again with Astra blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    while i can agree with a lot of whats been said....i have a merkur adjustable now resting in its box...a merkur futur for quick shaves...my favourite which imho is streets ahead of anything

supply razor

http://www.connaughtshaving.com/supply4.html

worth a look

I too have just joined the DE shaving crowd, having read this and some other threads.

I put an order in with Connaught Shaving (excellent service, prices and delivery) for the famous Edwin Jagger DE89 Knurled and their popular blade sample pack, plus a couple of Taylor's shaving cream bowls. I remember my dad using a DE razor back in the 70s and when I mentioned they've become popular again, he couldn't quite believe it.

On my first attempt, I loaded a Gillette Blue blade and was quite scared I would cut myself. I didn't but I also had a terrible shave, as I didn't use any pressure, being far too timid. I then went over my neck several times, of course I developed razor burn.

The second time was a bit better but the third time worked a charm. The difference was I shaved after a shower, having just washed my face on the first attempts. So far I'm enjoying the experience and have not suffered anything more than a couple of minor nicks, which an alum block deals with.

Thanks to all the TZ contributors who've contributed their knowledge, G&D is such a useful resource!

I have a medium beard and have used Gillette's latest SE razors (like the one below) for about 45 years. Would a switch to a quality DE benefit me at all?

I cartridge shaved for around 30 years, since switching to DE, I'd never go back.

No matter what DE I try, I still find the old 1950's Gillette Tech takes some beating.

Quote Originally Posted by ETCHY View Post
    I cartridge shaved for around 30 years, since switching to DE, I'd never go back.

No matter what DE I try, I still find the old 1950's Gillette Tech takes some beating.
    How do you find DE superior to Gillette cartridge?

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    For me those cartridge razors clog up very easily, go blunt quickly and caused me more razor rash than a DE, probably due to tugging as the blades go blunt. Also they're getting pretty expensive. I got a vintage adjustable Gillette slim and feather blades use with a good pre-shave creme, soap in a bowl and a good brush. Takes maybe a couple of minutes longer than cartridge shaving but so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    In my experience rashes greatly reduce using a DE. I have a few, with the Merkur 34c and DE89 on the mild end and started out with these. Astra and Feather blades are my go to.
    I’ve also recently bought a Ming Shi 2000s from China. It’s superb and my go to daily shave now. Again with Astra blades.

I recently bought a Ming Shi 2000 and been using it with the blades that came with it and I must say I am underwhelmed, my cartridge razor provides a much closer shave. Do the Astra blades make all the difference or is there a technique/setting to get a close DE shave?

Journeyman
    I started with a EJ 89 but since moved to a slant razor (Merkur 34C) as it speeds up the process - yet to find my perfect blade but just purchased 100 Astra SPs on a good deal. Can't use Feather with the 34C tbh.

Also invested in some Martin De Candre soap - easily lived up to the hype! Difficult to find but if you can, grab a plisson brush too!

Not sure if they still do it but Geo F Trumper offered a sampler bag where you can try a lot of their goods, skin food has been the only thing I've purchased since but still nice to try lots!

Master
    Gillette Fatboy from the 50s , Feathers blades , Mitchells Wool Fat soap and a badger brush. Alum block after , rubbing alcohol slap , E45 moisturiser , creed Aventus but not on my face

Apprentice
    Above The Tie Atlas R1 Stainless Steel razor with Gillette Rubie blades.
    Simpsons Chubby or Mervyn Cadman Silvertip badger brush.
    Mitchells Wool Fat, Phoenix & Beau, Barrister & Mann or Martin de Candre soap.
    Proraso splash & British Barbers Association post shave balm.
    Acqua di Parma Colonia EdC.
    Absolutely top-notch stuff & a wonderful shave every time.

My 'go to' shaving kit now is a Murker 32C long handle, Gillette 7o'clock blades (yellow pkt), Arko shave sticks from Amazon, E & J badger brush. The Arko shave sticks are brilliant and as good as any expensive shave soaps (I've tried most)... lather up great and seem to last ages.
    If your new to DE shaving, check out some 'You Tube' videos, persever with it as it will get easier as your skin adjusts.

TBH it is not "superior" what I do find is it gives me a slightly less good shave. However no ingrowing hairs, don't spend a fortune on razor blades (100 blades less than 20.00) and less skin problems.

I think the multi blades are an improvement but at the same time by trying to give a super smooth shave they make other problems as they try to lift the hair and cut it before it goes back below the skin & or course are the proverbial razor blade business !

Craftsman
    I switched to DE shaving a few years ago and will never go back. I'm also another vote for the Edwin Jagger DE89 and use a best badger brush for just now.

You'll soon find your own routine but but mine is always to shave after a shower.

Also, if you have a real problem with shaving rash the best bit of advice I can give is to really pay attention to the direction your beard grows in and make sure to shave with the grain on the first pass at least. It sounds patronising to be telling a grown man that but I'm always amazed how many forget to do it then wonder why they get a rash and/or ingrown hairs!!

I use Executive Shaving (based in Glasgow) for everything. Their own brand stuff is great too.

I find it more comfortable & there's virtually zero irritation with no in-growing hairs (cartridges are a bugger for causing in-growing hairs as they cut the hair too short).

I also find that my skin feels better & to be honest whilst I'd never say I enjoy shaving I do find it a lot more pleasant to do using a DE rather than a cartridge.

It doesn't even take that much longer, now that I know what I'm doing.

Dragging several blades across my face when I can get one blade to glide easily, just makes more sense in my opinion.

Dave

Apprentice
    Another DE89 user here. Feather blades are a must for me personally. Super sharp and took a little getting used to but I find that with the DE89 being relatively mild, the Feathers provide a very close, comfortable shave.

As always though, technique is the key. I also used to suffer from razor burn but since switching to DE and improving technique, haven’t had a single rash since. Avoid shaving against the grain (with and across the grain only). Use as little pressure as possible- let the weight of the razor do the work. Enjoy

Journeyman
    Tempted to go back to the DE89 now..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Craftsman

Which DE Razor and blades?

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    Also, if you have a real problem with shaving rash the best bit of advice I can give is to really pay attention to the direction your beard grows in and make sure to shave with the grain on the first pass at least. It sounds patronising to be telling a grown man that but I'm always amazed how many forget to do it then wonder why they get a rash and/or ingrown hairs
    So true, actually look at which way it grows, don’t just assume.

I changed 2 years ago and loved it - I actually began looking forward to shaving again?!

I started with a merkur 23C with persona blades which was a great starter. When I was confident I wasn’t going back I splashed out on a Feather AS-D2 with feather blades which was incredible - both aggressive and mild at the same time.

For brushes, the Muhle synthetic silver tip heads are excellent, very soft but good lather and won’t shed or go mouldy.

Trumper and Harris probably my most used shaving cream brands, favourite is musgo real Oak Moss but expensive as only comes in a little tube.

I was given a moss scuttle shaving bowl one Christmas and that’s great. Don’t expect it to keep the lather hot hot, but it’s definitely warm and a shock when I go back to the travel bowl.

I’m not really surprised there’s so many DE fans on this forum, it kinda makes sense

Best razor for me out of my collection, is the Schick injector. It’s old, it was cheap, as are all of them, and the thicker blades give me a great shave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I started with a DE89, but then bought a cheap £6 Chinese adjustable jobbie called a Qshave from Aliexpress, use it cranked up to most agressive setting 6 and much prefer it and now use it 90% of the time over the DE89.
    Arko or Taylors soap, cheap fake badger brush, Feather blades, wooden bowl

The thing I found that made a difference to shaving was the type of shaving brush I used. I got a Kent silvertip badger & it's really excellent.

Master
    After googling the DE89 this starter pack came up...

https://shavelounge.co.uk/product/de...it-sandalwood/

Would you say this was a good place to start having never shaved like this before. If I’m honest they look lethal to me and frighten the life out of me. Does it come with good blades, brush etc? Complete novice here but with Fathers Day coming up, it might be a nice gift to me.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    After googling the DE89 this starter pack came up...

Would you say this was a good place to start having never shaved like this before. If I’m honest they look lethal to me and frighten the life out of me. Does it come with good blades, brush etc? Complete novice here but with Fathers Day coming up, it might be a nice gift to me.
    Looks like a pretty good deal to me. DE89 is a solid piece of kit. Brush is good enough to get you started. The razor starter pack will allow you to try lots of different brands and find which works best for you. After lots of experimenting, my favourites are Feathers and Gillette 7 O’Clock Sharp Edge (Yellow).

Also, I’d strongly consider picking up an Alum block. Worth every penny.

Whatever you decide to go for, remember technique is the key. Don’t add any pressure and let the weight of the razor do the work.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    I use a 1960s Gillette Fatboy adjustable DE with Feather Blades. That is for me the best combination but everyone is different. Look online and get samples of blades. For the DE I started by buying a modern DE and also a 1960 Gillette DE used both and found I was more comfy and enjoyed the vintage razors. The 1960s Gillette’s can be had fairly cheap and with good cleaning come up excellent and are amazing value and a good reminder of when things was built to last!

Any idea's of things to be wary of when buying an old Gillette? The examples I've seen on ebay don't look in great condition.

It’s a decent start, if you take in to account that Proraso is a base level soap, on both performance and price. If it works for you, as it does for many, then great.
    My other comment is to try save a blade from each batch. As your technique improves, your opinion of certain blades will change.

Master
    I returned to DE about 10 years ago and after a bit of experimentation came to the result.

I would say that the most important single thing is a good shaving soap because its all down to lubrication. Also invest in a decent badger brush, a good one will last forever.

I have :-

DE89L
    Mitchells Woolfat soap complete with the ceramic bowl which adds the finishing touch.
    Simpsons Chubby brush No2
    Gillette 7 0clock blades (yellow pack) Make sure you source on a good supplier as there are millions of fake blades on the market.
    A block of Alum rock.

The result is a much better shave but it does add a couple of minutes to the process which can be a pain if you have to get up early to catch a train or whatever.

Master

And ordered. Thanks for all the advice. I’ll try and update letting the you lot know how I get on. I’m also going to look at the alum blocks.
    Last edited by oiljam; 14th June 2018 at 10:35.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz01 View Post
    I switched to DE shaving a few years ago and will never go back. I'm also another vote for the Edwin Jagger DE89 and use a best badger brush for just now.

You'll soon find your own routine but but mine is always to shave after a shower.

Also, if you have a real problem with shaving rash the best bit of advice I can give is to really pay attention to the direction your beard grows in and make sure to shave with the grain on the first pass at least. It sounds patronising to be telling a grown man that but I'm always amazed how many forget to do it then wonder why they get a rash and/or ingrown hairs!!

I use Executive Shaving (based in Glasgow) for everything. Their own brand stuff is great too.

I too switched to DE shaving last year. I use Muhle R41 or R89 grand. Both are equally good but I feel the 89 has slight edge in the smoothness department. I also have a Merkur Futur, I personally found it a bit difficult to use. Takes me 8 minutes from start to finish. Still my 15 year old Gillette Sensor as back up if I'm in a hurry or travelling!
    Blades, I've used Muhle, Feather, Astra and Gillette 7 O Clock yellow. The 7 O clock is the worst of the lot - more razor burn and loses edge quicker than the rest. Feather is my choice followed by Muhle/Astra.
    I have visited the Executive Shaving shop/warehouse on the southside of Glasgow. Brian (IIRC) is a friendly and helpful bloke. Threw in a sample of their own brand soap, a bottle of Muhle aftershave and a wee discount on top!
    Last edited by 72bpm; 14th June 2018 at 11:03.

Craftsman
    Only downside of DE razors is that you can’t fly with them in your carry on luggage

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    Only downside of DE razors is that you can’t fly with them in your carry on luggage
    If its too short to justify carry checkin luggage just live with the stubble or treat yourself to a shave st the barber’s.

Craftsman
    Was just cleaning my Merkur Futura out today as I had the ultrasonic cleaner left out after doing some bracelets and was thinking I might need to replace it soon its started to get a little sloppy after 10 years use , I have tried a load of creams, soaps, brushes and blades and found out that for me cheap old Derby blades and Gillette sensitive gel applied by hand works just as well. I rarely cut myself nowadays although I tend to go through periods of slicing myself for a few days, thank god for alum bars, I used to cut myself more using multiblades

Its seen the end of ingrown hairs for me and made shaving as pleasant as it can be , saving a fortune along the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikiejack View Post
    Best razor for me out of my collection, is the Schick injector. It’s old, it was cheap, as are all of them, and the thicker blades give me a great shave.

Had one of those back in the '70s I think it was. Was a good razor.

ook

Quote Originally Posted by Pelicans View Post
    a bit more expensive than some of the suggestions, but have a look at:
    https://www.thomasclipper.com/

Always nice to support a smaller British company where possible.
    I use one of these every time... seems to work better than my feathers razor which seems too gentile (even with feather blades !)

cheers

matt

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    The DE is the start of a slippery slope !

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5
    ohhh I like that crown king bowl..... where’s that from ??

cheers

matt

I've been using an Ikon 101 head on an Ikon handle for three or four years now. I had a few Merkurs and Muehles before that.

The 101 has an open comb on one side and a closed comb on the other. That works quite well for me: being retired I can go a few days between shaves because I don't have to turn up anywhere in the morning looking presentable. The open comb is good for a first pass hacking through the undergrowth, and the closed comb side is good for a second pass against the grain to clean up. It's also good for trimming sideburns off square.

I've used Ingram lather since I first started shaving. Probably because my Dad and Grandad did. Fortunately I didn't inherit their love for Izal toilet paper and Euthymol toothpaste.

I don't have any alum sticks or anything like that, blobs of toilet paper do the job in need.

Used a Merkur Futur with Israeli blades I bought off eBay for nearly 10 years, then moved to straight razors for a few years and been using a Feather ASD2 for the last 3-4 years with Feather blades.

I just ordered 100 feather blades last week for £25. They should last me for the next 2 years.

A DE razor can be expensive but after a couple of years, they pay for themselves and can last a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post

A DE razor can be expensive but after a couple of years, they pay for themselves and can last a lifetime.
    Unless you’re like me, go from hating shaving with cartridge to loving shaving with DE.
    Now I have 6 razors, £200 worth of soaps, and about 200 razor blades.

Quote Originally Posted by mikiejack View Post
    Unless you’re like me, go from hating shaving with cartridge to loving shaving with DE.
    Now I have 6 razors, £200 worth of soaps, and about 200 razor blades.

Those razors have a second hand value whilst a Gillette multi-blade has next to no value. You haven’t bought 6 razors, you’ve invested in 6 razors!

Quote Originally Posted by smalleyboy1 View Post
    Those razors have a second hand value whilst a Gillette multi-blade has next to no value. You haven’t bought 6 razors, you’ve invested in 6 razors!
    Sounds like ideal man maths. But you are right, I will not lose much, if any money in the future.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
    You can. I take my loaded Merkur Slant, and spare blades, with me and I've never once been stopped when leaving UK airports even when I was stopped for something else. IIRC the rule is the cutting edge has to be less than 6cm long. However every time I forget to dispose of the blade(s) when returning to the UK I have without fail been pulled up for it in both EU and US airports. It's almost as if we Brits stick to the rules absolutely!

Master
    Actually my Fatboy got bashed up a bit and needs some restoration ( I've been bearded for two years so I thankfully don't need it ).

Any recommendations for a repair guy?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Actually my Fatboy got bashed up a bit and needs some restoration ( I've been bearded for two years so I thankfully don't need it ).

Any recommendations for a repair guy?
    I have a fatboy that razorspa did for me replated and adjusted - its an OK Job but takes a while and I don't know whether they are still going- it is unused since the refurb because I bought it for someone who didn't want it as it turned out so I wouldn't know exactly how good they were on adjustment.

I was thinking of trying :

http://www.razorplating.co.uk/razor-...ion/4592212072

Has anyone get any experience with them ??

B
    Last edited by Brian; 18th June 2018 at 11:24.

Master
    I've got a 1959 Fatboy too and it's far superior to the modern disposables. Less ingrowing hair, less irritation ...

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I have a fatboy that razorspa did for me replated and adjusted - its an OK Job but takes a while and I don't know whether they are still going- it is unused since the refurb because I bought it for someone who didn't want it as it turned out so I wouldn't know exactly how good they were on adjustment.

I was thinking of trying :

http://www.razorplating.co.uk/razor-...ion/4592212072

Has anyone get any experience with them ??

B
    I've been looking for somewhere to replate a Gillette Slim. According to its website razorplating.co.uk is closed for business: "Please accept my apologies, however the razor plating service is currently unavailable." It's been that way for a while.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by neil62 View Post
    I've been looking for somewhere to replate a Gillette Slim. According to its website razorplating.co.uk is closed for business: "Please accept my apologies, however the razor plating service is currently unavailable." It's been that way for a while.
    I just noticed that - there was another place which was mentioned on a blog somewhere I will try and dig it out.

B

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    ohhh I like that crown king bowl..... where’s that from ??

cheers

matt
    You can get one from here... https://shavingstation.co.uk/1117-cr...g-scuttle.html

Thanks !

Right for any razor rash / ingrown hairs I use this - it is expensive so you only need a tiny amount so I am still on my first bottle. Brilliant stuff as my neck hair grows in all directions so I constantly do something wrong :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anthony-Ing...nthony+for+men

Cheers

Matt

I decided to go with this set-up: a Parker steel 42R razor paired with Gillette Mach3 blades. I'm very meticulous about keeping my blades clean during a shave, so that's not an issue for me. I used this combo for the first time yesterday and got the closest shave I've had in many years!

Craftsman
    DE fan here as well, Mercury 25C and feather blades

Use shaving soap etc from the Body Shop as I actually find it works well for me with sensitive skin

I'm still experimenting with the sample pack of blades I bought with my DE89. Having tried an Astra, a Gillette Blue and a no name Israeli blade, I like the Astra best. Next up is a Feather... we'll see how that goes. I ordered some more from this eBay seller where you can mix and match from a wide range of blades, at very reasonable prices too and fast shipping. No affiliation, just a happy customer.