closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 42 of 42

Thread: In praise of my G-Shock Riseman - five years and counting...

  1. #1
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    E. Sussex
    Posts
    900

    In praise of my G-Shock Riseman - five years and counting...

    Not a long blurb, stories of epic adventures or series of pics (I'll bung in a few though) but I have worn my Riseman virtually every single day for five years now. IMHO there is simply no better everyday beater than this and it is certainly IMHO the best G ever made in terms of size, features and looks - it's been underwater, up mountains, on (and off) the bike, in the workshop and generally is a little beaten up but it never needs anything - always synced to perfect time, always fully charged up and as much as I bash it, dunk it or drop it - no worries.

    When I bought one in 2013 I bought another (spare) as they were silly cheap (£110?) at the time from Amazon but foolishly sold this on. The original is still going though...





  2. #2
    Craftsman Redwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    636
    The ultimate beater !
    Iíve got a Casio but itís the 15 quid cheap one. Still very hardy though.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  3. #3
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Galway
    Posts
    646
    I have mine almost 10 years and I adore it. It's the beater's beater. I've been less than kind to it but it never skips a beat. I swim every day, be it in the sea or the pool, and it's on my wrist then. It's my holiday watch too so it's been around the world and in every kind of climate, without issue.

  4. #4
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,249
    Mine is used to set my they watches by. Still in perfect condition & lives in its tin in my sock drawer, come out when it needs a charge and never worn.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  5. #5
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    647
    Mine will be off with my skiing at the weekend as I'm then not worried about falling on it/scratching it with things etc. Also a good excuse to play with the altimeter! Picked up from EBay after seeing a thread about it some years-got a good deal and I doubt I could find a replacement at the same price.

  6. #6
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,249
    Quote Originally Posted by mmgg1988 View Post
    Mine will be off with my skiing at the weekend as I'm then not worried about falling on it/scratching it with things etc. Also a good excuse to play with the altimeter! Picked up from EBay after seeing a thread about it some years-got a good deal and I doubt I could find a replacement at the same price.
    How much out of interest?

    No real idea what these go for now.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  7. #7
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    E. Sussex
    Posts
    900
    Real mix of prices. As usual silly asking prices on EBay for BIN but actual sold/bought/bid values seem to be £50 to £150ish.

  8. #8
    I never understand why Casio discontinue great watches like these and others (like the gw6900) seemingly at random?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Craftsman trott3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    greater manchester UK
    Posts
    382
    Under rated watch and cheaper than the much lauded rangeman.

    My most worn gshock.

  10. #10
    Grand Master learningtofly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Everywhere & nowhere, baby
    Posts
    28,229
    Wonderful G's! I had a couple at one time... wish I'd kept hold of the MiB!!!


  11. #11
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    How much out of interest?

    No real idea what these go for now.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Was back in 2014 but a quick check of the accounts seems to suggest £72. Maybe they aren't worth more now looking at the selling prices below but was in good condition with the outer box and tin etc. Good value in any case.

  12. #12
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    495
    Great watches, I tried one on shortly after buying my 6900 a few years ago. Regretted not buying it ever since, it was much more comfy than the one I have, better spec etc, finally made my mind up, went to the shop and it had been discontinued. This was in the days before I was aware of the reputable online dealers and then the watch fell off my radar.

  13. #13
    Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    2,249
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Wonderful G's! I had a couple at one time... wish I'd kept hold of the MiB!!!

    MiB looks great - never realised it wasnít a multiband until seeing your photo. I had it on my list to obtain, but never got around to it.


    Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

  14. #14
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    E. Sussex
    Posts
    900
    Anyone own one of the other special editions of the Riseman?

    Was there a cream/white/yellow coloured special?

  15. #15
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    21,459
    Blog Entries
    25
    I've got a GW-9200PJ-7 which is a white special edition (I think it was a special edition) with a blue highlight around the eye. I think it was the 'Men in Ice White Riseman'.

    No pics since I seem to have mislaid it.

    The white bezel looks nice but gets grubby easily.


    Generic pic:

  16. #16
    My pair: -


  17. #17
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    13,316
    Worth a thread resurrection I think

    Ive always been drawn to the 'Men In Ice White' version and looking at how much these are now going for on eBay wish that I had bought one when prices were more reasonable!

    There is another way though - I picked this bezel and strap up recently. All I need now is the sensor decal which I have ordered from PacParts in the States



    Just waiting for a NOS standard Riseman to arrive from Japan

    The circular barometer surround and legend at the bottom of the dial in red wont match the original blue of a genuine MIIW but it will look OK I think

    Ian

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Worth a thread resurrection I think

    Ive always been drawn to the 'Men In Ice White' version and looking at how much these are now going for on eBay wish that I had bought one when prices were more reasonable!

    There is another way though - I picked this bezel and strap up recently. All I need now is the sensor decal which I have ordered from PacParts in the States



    Just waiting for a NOS standard Riseman to arrive from Japan

    The circular barometer surround and legend at the bottom of the dial in red wont match the original blue of a genuine MIIW but it will look OK I think

    Ian
    Thatís a true watch fan.👍 Picking up the strap and bezel before the watch. Please post a pic of the final assembly.

  19. #19
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    21,459
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I picked this bezel and strap up recently.
    Mind me asking where you got it?

  20. #20
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    13,316
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Mind me asking where you got it?
    eBay!

    Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

  21. #21
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    21,459
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    eBay!
    Ah, thanks. :-)

  22. #22
    I have the Men in Matte Black and I bought a white bezel and strap some time ago...

    Both are a bit knackered now so interested to know where and how much to replace!

    I love mine but the only disappointing thing is the film of oil on the inside of the glass now. I canít clean it as the unit is sealed. Iíve seen people filling them with oil but donít fancy that. Otherwise a cracking watch!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  23. #23
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    13,316
    There are loads of replacement black bezels and straps on eBay - that's where I bought my spare ones from. UK sellers are common too.

    The white ones are around - though at a price. Expect to pay between £60 - £90

  24. #24
    The correct bezel and strap are at the top of that price range. TikTox used to do them a lot cheaper but limited models available now I think.

    I may not bother as the foggy crystal is not fixable anyway as far as I can tell.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  25. #25
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    5,390
    Very nice, but my favourite of all the watches pictured is the G-Lide in the middle on the first wrist shot. I have two myself, in blue and green. And now I think I need a yellow one.

  26. #26
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    13,316
    All I need now is for the new 'sensor' legend plate to arrive and I am ready for conversion to Men In Ice White



    The most comfortable watch Ive ever worn.

  27. #27
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    5,390
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades81 View Post
    I love mine but the only disappointing thing is the film of oil on the inside of the glass now. I canít clean it as the unit is sealed. Iíve seen people filling them with oil but donít fancy that. Otherwise a cracking watch!

    That's interesting, haven't seen that on any of my Gs. I'm guessing that wearing them in hot weather regularly causes oil vapour to redistribute itself around the inside of the watch? Or is it something that's common to this particular model?

  28. #28
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    13,316
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    That's interesting, haven't seen that on any of my Gs. I'm guessing that wearing them in hot weather regularly causes oil vapour to redistribute itself around the inside of the watch? Or is it something that's common to this particular model?
    Im on my 4th Riseman now and Ive never encountered this - nor on any other G Shocks.

  29. #29
    I've admired the Riseman for many years but never had one. I think the sensor on the left of the case has put me off, thinking that it may be uncomfortable, seemingly not. It certainly has just about all the features one could ever need.

  30. #30
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    13,316
    Quote Originally Posted by dkpw View Post
    I've admired the Riseman for many years but never had one. I think the sensor on the left of the case has put me off, thinking that it may be uncomfortable, seemingly not. It certainly has just about all the features one could ever need.
    That's right - it is no problem at all and doesn't really protrude much further than the red barometer button on the other side. The watch and strap are so light and beautifully proportioned you hardly know that you are wearing it.

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Im on my 4th Riseman now and Ive never encountered this - nor on any other G Shocks.
    i have had mine at least 9-10 years I think. I guess Iím unlucky but if you search youíll find itís a thing specifically on the solar models, not just the Riseman. Interestingly it happened on my Seiko SNK809 but I whipped the movement out and cleaned it and it was fine again.
    The problem with the solar watches is that the solar lens is super thin and easy to break when attempting to remove. I could send it in to a Casio repair centre for a free assessment but not sure itís worth spending a tonne of money on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    That's right - it is no problem at all and doesn't really protrude much further than the red barometer button on the other side. The watch and strap are so light and beautifully proportioned you hardly know that you are wearing it.
    Thanks Velorum but as I have 8 Gs already, I really shouldn't, assuming I could even find one in good nick...
    I remember Evan Davies of Newsnight and now PM fame, wore one for ages. It used to distract me from the news. :)

  33. #33
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    13,316
    Still fairly easy to pick up VGC or even NOS ones but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere!

  34. #34
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    13,316
    Being rather impatient and frustrated at waiting for the new sensor badge to arrive I thought that I would have a go at transferring the original. It was actually quite easy. Once the bezel was removed I could flex the housing enough to get a small screwdriver under the badge and prize it out. It was held in place with something like rubber cement. Fortunately its quite thick so there was little danger of deforming it - my main fear.

    Everything else was straightforward though I had to study the barometer sensor washer that fell out when I took the old bezel off to make sure that I was refitting it the right way.

    Im happy with the result especially the gloss finish which isn't as susceptible to getting grubby as a matt one would be.




  35. #35
    Did you pop out the plastic part that blocks the two holes at the top from the old bezel? Itís loose so should be easy. Looks good!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  36. #36
    Craftsman Zephyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    976
    That looks fantastic Velorum.👍👍 Might have to try and track one down.

  37. #37
    Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NW Leics
    Posts
    5,390
    Nice work, looks fab.

  38. #38
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    21,459
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    Im happy with the result especially the gloss finish which isn't as susceptible to getting grubby as a matt one would be.
    I've got the Ice White Riseman and this is probably not a good time to tell you that the white plastic definitely does get grubby over time. I've tried cleaning it but the grubbiness seems to be somehow combined into the surface.

  39. #39
    Grand Master markrlondon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    21,459
    Blog Entries
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades81 View Post
    Did you pop out the plastic part that blocks the two holes at the top from the old bezel? Itís loose so should be easy. Looks good!
    Oh yes, well noticed.

  40. #40
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    13,316
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    I've got the Ice White Riseman and this is probably not a good time to tell you that the white plastic definitely does get grubby over time. I've tried cleaning it but the grubbiness seems to be somehow combined into the surface.
    That's disappointing.

    Probably a good thing that I only intend to wear it occasionally. I have a black one for more regular use.



    Sent from my SM-G970F using TZ-UK mobile app

  41. #41
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    13,316
    The MIIW next to my black one - bought recently, new old stock



    I have a spare new white bezel and strap that I picked up a while ago whilst getting various parts together that I'm going to put on SC soon

  42. #42
    Grand Master Velorum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    13,316
    Quote Originally Posted by Pleiades81 View Post
    Did you pop out the plastic part that blocks the two holes at the top from the old bezel? Itís loose so should be easy. Looks good!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No I didn't!

    Thanks for pointing that out - all sorted now!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •