closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help getting caseback off - Rado content

Help getting caseback off - Rado content

Battery has run out on my Rado ceramica, wanted to try to replace it myself but I cannot see how the case back comes off. The back looks like it should pop off but I cannot find any lip or indent anywhere. I can run my nail around it and not feel a thing. My daughter has some watches and there's a definite lip or indent in some of those, put a small lifting tool into it and it pops off.

Any ideas? I have a basic watch tool kit. Better off sending it to a watch-guy?

Thanks in advance

Craftsman
    Ignore, I don't know what I'm talking about.

What do the 4 screws in the corners do ? Are they holding the bezel on or the caseback on ?
    Is there the possibility it could be a front-loader, ie the crystal comes out with a special tool ?

- - - Updated - - -

What do the 4 screws in the corners do ? Are they holding the bezel on or the caseback on ?
    Is there the possibility it could be a front-loader, ie the crystal comes out with a special tool ?

The 4 screws hold the caseback in place.

Ok, will try that

Will have to admit defeat. Took the screws off, wouldn't budge, then upon closer inspection, and you can see from the pictures, the strap springbar goes through the case so I will need to remove the strap in order to remove the rear, which I've never done before and don't want to risk. Anyone know anyone local to Slough / Windsor that they can recommend? If not, will pop it into a main dealer somewhere

Craftsman
    It is a caseback that lifts off with a knife. The screws attach the front to the case and have nothing to do with a battery change.

The whole caseback has a lip 360degrees which is why you can't see it. A sharp case knife will work and I would put a small amount of grease on the hard back seal before putting the caseback back on.

Apprentice
    Me32dc speaks the truth.

I have replaced the batteries on two of these in last few weeks. I tried using a standard watch tools caseback knife tool, and it was not sharp enough to engage the gap in the lip on the round case-back.

What worked for me was using a metal utility knife. The knife edge on the blade was thin and sharp enough to pop open the caseback with almost no effort.