closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: EE Contracts

EE Contracts

Wonder if anyone can help here.

Just taken a sim only contract out with EE. It was in its January sale - 12gb, unlimited calls/texts - £19.99 usually £32.99. In addition to this, I've got a few other discounts through work which reduces it to just over £13 per month. Having just logged into my account for the first time, the contract price is £32.99 and shows amongst others a £13 'time limited' discount. Calling EE they have said it basically means that's valid for the duration of the contract (12 months) and will be removed after but can be negotiated.

My worry is I have a very good contract with 3 that is rolling and doesn't change but if I give this up, PAC code my number to EE, and the increase does come into force, I'm in a worse position in 12 months time.

Has anyone had such a discount with EE and it been removed after 12 months? I thought this was an ongoing contract price but not looking that way now. The main reason I went with EE is you can roam in Canada as part of the plan (but my 3 one doesn't cover canada). So I'm tempted to cancel it within my 14 days and stick with what I have which won't change

A couple of years ago I had one of my daughters on a SIM only EE plan. It was £10 per month but went up to £15 after twelve months. They would renew it but you have to ask them to do it. I never bothered as she went on to her own contract with Three.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    A couple of years ago I had one of my daughters on a SIM only EE plan. It was £10 per month but went up to £15 after twelve months. They would renew it but you have to ask them to do it. I never bothered as she went on to her own contract with Three.
    Thanks - my concern is its quite a large discount but then again I suppose similar in % wise to the one you mention.

I suppose its the concern of giving up what I have with 3 now and not being able to get anything as good in 12 months time IF it came to it

The telecoms companies don’t really care about calls and texts, they’re almost giveaways. It’s the data that they sell on now.

I can’t imagine you NOT being able to find a better deal in twelve months time.

Master
    I'm not sure what you are moaning about. It's a 12 month contract and you get the full discount you were expecting for a full 12 months. When the contract finishes you are free to negotiate another deal with a network of your choice and port the number if you move away from EE.

Have I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by ViperStripes View Post
    I'm not sure what you are moaning about. It's a 12 month contract and you get the full discount you were expecting for a full 12 months. When the contract finishes you are free to negotiate another deal with a network of your choice and port the number if you move away from EE.

Have I missed something?
    I thought the contract was going to be £19.99 going forward - NOT discounted £13 per month for 12 months.

Yes I can renegotiate in 12 months time if I need to - but my current 3 contract no longer exists so to give that up, I'd be renegotiating to a likely worse contract this time next year unless they were happy to keep the £13pm discount

So its a case of deciding to stick with it and see where things are in 12 months or cancel and stick with my 3 contract. I've been with 3 for about 15 years (save for 2yrs O2 when they had iphone exclusive) so have a decent contract with them you see.

I have been with EE for a few years. Last year I phoned asking for a PAC as I was going to port to BT who were offering a very good deal. EE matched it no problem, my bill showed the full price with a hefty discount applied.

I called them back at the start of this month as my 12 months were coming to an end. Once again they have matched the best deal that I could find for another 12 months (30gb data, unlimited calls and texts (Europe (as with all providers) plus 5 other countries) and BT sport. This shows as £41.99 on my bill with £24 loyalty discount applied bringing it down to £17.99.

I would say you have a fairly high chance of getting another deal in 12 months time silimar to your current one, either from EE or by porting back to Three.

Master
    I would be amazed if you can't get a good deal again in 12 months time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I have been with EE for a few years. Last year I phoned asking for a PAC as I was going to port to BT who were offering a very good deal. EE matched it no problem, my bill showed the full price with a hefty discount applied.

I called them back at the start of this month as my 12 months were coming to an end. Once again they have matched the best deal that I could find for another 12 months (30gb data, unlimited calls and texts (Europe (as with all providers) plus 5 other countries) and BT sport. This shows as £41.99 on my bill with £24 loyalty discount applied bringing it down to £17.99.

I would say you have a fairly high chance of getting another deal in 12 months time silimar to your current one, either from EE or by porting back to Three.
    Thats exactly what I was looking for when posting this - you get a far better discount and have managed to get it again so that's good enough for me.

No different to many services - Sky TV, energy etc. Usually revert to higher prices once fixed term ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    No different to many services - Sky TV, energy etc. Usually revert to higher prices once fixed term ends.
    This is my (uninformed) point - I didn't think it was a fixed term price only. Given the 'standard' pricing is £32.99 and 3's equivalent is £15 per month I thought the discounted rate of £19.99 was the new rate going forward (minus my other discounts). Live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    This is my (uninformed) point - I didn't think it was a fixed term price only. Given the 'standard' pricing is £32.99 and 3's equivalent is £15 per month I thought the discounted rate of £19.99 was the new rate going forward (minus my other discounts). Live and learn.
    Probably what they hope you think!

I'm in the same boat (but with Vodafone) and looked at the same deal. My only problem with it is that I tend to let the dates go by without remembering to renew, so I end up pay over the odds for a couple of months which cancels out the benefit. If you are disciplined enough, I'd go for it.

Master
    I really wouldn't worry about it. The mobile network providers must be the easiest companies in the world to get a good deal with and it literally takes seconds to renew a contract on a cheap deal.

I switched from a 24 month contract with EE to a SIM only 12 month contract last year. I called to say I wanted the PAC code to transfer my number and came away with a SIM only deal for 16GB per month for £8. It was a doddle.
    Last edited by mowflow; 31st January 2018 at 17:25.

I have gone from one 1 yr sim contract to another with EE, when they finish I phone them up to see what discounts they are offering at the time and whether they will match the previous discount. I have to admit they are good to deal with and have offered me some decent deals and discounts to keep me. I really wouldn’t worry about this situation!

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Thats exactly what I was looking for when posting this - you get a far better discount and have managed to get it again so that's good enough for me.
    I have the same, I have a friends and family discount but only valid for 12 months went back in and they renewed it added F&F discount on again. Lots of deals to be done with EE at moment they will price match everyone and some extras, plus they have the best network at the moment

Thanks all. I’ve been testing the speeds against my 3 sim and it’s coming out at less than half the speed. Weird as map shows full signal/speed. However it’s still a decent enough speed.

One other question I’ve only just thought of. How do you add an Apple Watch for £5 a month? It only shows the £25 a month contracts. Is the £5 no longer available? I’ve currently got a series 2 but will buy a series 3 (not direct from EE) if I can add it for a fiver.

Master
    Chances are the regular price of the contract you are on will have dropped considerably in 12 months time. I've had a few special deals from EE and bizarrely they have never ended price-wise, well, only when I initiated an even better deal. One went on for about 30 months at the same price before I called them to get a contract with more data.

Its actually gone up to the full amount today on their site:

https://shop.ee.co.uk/sim-only/pay-monthly-phones - the 12gb 4GEE Max plan. Price is £32.99! I'm paying just over £13 for it. I did wonder if it would be a rolling 'sale' if you get me. Its ruddy expensive at normal price

I've decided to stick with it anyway as I tested it last night while out and about and all was fine, I like the EE account app, and it includes roaming in Canada, where I'm going later this year (primary reason for looking at the EE contract). I'll see what 11 months time brings, nothing to lose for now really. Just submitted my number porting as well.

Also thinking of going for the Apple Watch cellular and adding to my contract as the £5 extra is still available and free for 6 months

Master
    Those prices won't last though, all the other carriers are much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Those prices won't last though, all the other carriers are much cheaper.
    Yeah I can't see how they can sell any at that price - for example, three equivalent is £15 (mine was less).

I took a deal at Black Friday, also £19.99 but for that I got 20GB data and unlimited everything else. As I get a "Student" discount I was able to bring this down to £15.99 a month and get an extra 500mb of data as a student freebie. My bill always states this is really worth £36 a month (I mean seriously who pays that in reality) but with all the discounts applied it should equal £15.99. Except it doesn't. EE are billing me around £12-£13, no idea why but not complaining. I also went through a cashback site and am due an additional £45 back.

The way I look at it is that I will take a view at 11 months and either renegotiate or get a good deal elsewhere, its not that much of a big deal to port numbers these days.

From what I read on HUKD the retentions on EE are very good so I live in hope of a good deal going forward.

M.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    been with EE for a few years now, all my phones including business phones, are on PAYG, my personal phone now has 6 gig of data, 2000 minutes, and unlimited text, due to 'boosts' that you get each third top up, I pay £10 per month for that and the boosts keep coming,

I had the EE sales on the phone trying to sell me a contract, I told him what I had and if he could better it, it was a quiet no and goodbye lol

Craftsman
    I have three SIM only deals with EE and all very good discount (20gb data, unlimited min and text)
    £15 each.
    Have these quite a few years and I have no doubt that they will offer you same after 12m.
    You have no worries.

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Some really good contracts on here - thanks for all the replies. Makes me hopeful for next year then.

I've very rarely considered moving my mobile service. I've been with all the providers in the past but settled on 3 and have been an extremely happy customer but this time I thought I'd try EE primarily for the Canada roaming.

24hrs in and I'm pretty impressed, especially now I've setup my free Apple Music and BT sport app. Just annoyed I didn't go via quidco or similar - for some reason I thought it wouldn't accept any codes but it would have and I've probably missed out. oh well

Well one good thing already - the 20% employee discount I get through work is actually on the full price, not the 'sale' price. So that brings it down even more.

£10.75 for my first month and seems to be a full month - possibly this for the duration then, very happy if so!

Master
    EE will match any deal you can find. I have EU roaming unlimited text and min plus 4 gb data and roaming in another 6 or 8 countries for £9.99 month. Sim only

Coming up to renewal time this month (29th).

Any tips? I’m tempted to go back to 3 as feel the service is slightly better but happy to see what I can get.

Suppose it’s like negotiating sky etc. The max plans don’t seem to exist any more and 3 equivalent is £18 (was £15 last week). Although 30gb data is £17.

I’m currently paying just over £14 somehow. Never sussed my discounts.

Don’t want to pay more than £15. So ee just March best deals out there? Or can you get them to keep you as is?

Master
    You could try BT which I think owns EE. I've been with them a while now after changing from EE and never had a problem. Even my old EE signal booster works with BT which is a bonus. Or just phone EE and say you want your PAC, I'm sure they'll offer you a deal.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I was paying £15pm for unlimited calls/txt 2GB data with EE. I rang them up yesterday and got unlimited calls/txt 10GB data for £10pm. Thought that was a very good deal.

It's worth mentioning that if you have EE home broadband you also get a boost to your mobile data allowance. I happened to renew our BB during black Friday and got a 20gig increase. Usual is 5gig I think, means you can ramp the mobile contract right down.

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    It's worth mentioning that if you have EE home broadband you also get a boost to your mobile data allowance. I happened to renew our BB during black Friday and got a 20gig increase. Usual is 5gig I think, means you can ramp the mobile contract right down.
    I took out broadband month ago but still got that 20GB increase (5 then increased to 20).
    Only paying ~£8/month for mobile contract.

If you have two lines on a contract you get a 10% discount off both if you have been with them over two years they can add a discretionary £5 loyalty discount to you account too.

Quote Originally Posted by Miocene View Post
    Yep - I pay £23 month for landline rental and broadband, and £10/month for a sim only mobile (including 5gb data) on a Lumia550 Windows phone they gave me for free = £33 total.

I had the upgrade phone call from EE sales, and they tried to get me off this contract by offering me discount on a package with extras I didn't need = £25 all in.
    I only just caught the words "Time Limited" at the end of a 20-minute sales pitch, and told them if they had been truthful at the start of the conversation, I could have told them "No thanks" quarter of an hour ago.

There is no need to "upgrade" to a worse deal in the long run, for short term gain.